Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So I've been doing a lot of driving for fun since I got my new (to me, last October) car, and I'm wondering if you guys have any particular roads to recommend. I've been hitting up a lot of the ones on this website:

http://www.newenglandriders.org/BestOfNewEngland/BestRoads/Best%20Roads.htm

So far it hasn't steered me too wrong, but the best I've found is still Bear Notch Rd / Albany Rd up near North Conway. Any particular recommendations that aren't on that list? I'm in Northeastern MA so no matter where it is I'm going to have to do some driving to get there, but if it's worth it I'm willing to do the drive. This is in a Volvo S60R so I'm only really looking for paved twisties, and preferably good pavement (though mediocre pavement is fine if the road is good enough). The less well traveled the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah I've done the kancamagus a few times, it's not bad, but it's usually got too many people on it and the pavement is actually pretty bad in some sections. It's also a major enough road that concerns about police make it somewhat less fun. The road between it and 302 that I mentioned (bear notch/albany) is a lot better. I'm just wondering if there are any other roads like that which I should know about.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

What about hurricane mountain road? It looks good but it is really narrow and the pavement looks pretty bad. I haven't tried driving it yet. Can you let loose on it at all or is it too narrow and dangerous when there's any oncoming traffic?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I can understand how you would be confused as some of the roads on that New England riders website are definitely more of the cruising type, but in this case yes, I'm looking for good zooming roads.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So I went to my first motorsports event today. I didn't have anything planned for the weekend so I stopped by the New England Dragway. I have to say I don't think I ever really understood how loud an engine could be without any kind of real exhaust before today. It was a Ford weekend, but honestly I didn't really care what the event was, I was going to be up that way anyway and figured I'd check it out. There weren't a lot of extremely fast cars there, the fastest thing I saw was a 30's pickup which ran an 8.4. That thing was pretty incredible. There was also a car there from Tasca, who was sponsoring the event, which I think was significantly faster, but it never did a full run of the track. It had some kind of suspension difficulties. The couple of hundred feet it did do were pretty frightening though. It was significantly faster than that 8.4 pickup, and the air felt like it was shaking when it went by.

I'll definitely be going back, preferably the next time they've got the really scary stuff running, like top fuel.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Hey kastein, would you like a broken milling machine? My company has an old First (chinese company) manual vertical milling machine with gearbox issues which we're going to throw away, I figured you might be interested. It probably weighs about a ton, but we've got a forklift and you've got a big truck. We're in Northeastern MA, so if you're interested let me know and I'll see if I can arrange things. Our maintenance guy says he hasn't taken it apart but he thinks it's a stripped gear.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

It's kind of first come first served at this point. I don't have platinum but if you want it you can drop me a line, my mail of the google variety is vakharn. The boss just wants it gone asap so the sooner you can pick it up the better.

Edit: so I just checked and apparently we had no where in the building to keep it. It is now outside. In a dumpster in fact, but it's a big end opening dumpster, it's just inside the door, it was placed there with a forklift undamaged, and you have a couple days before the dumpster is due to be picked up. That said, I haven't checked the weather report so lets call this a very limited time offer. All I know from a damage standpoint is that one of the head gears is probably stripped. Given how common this design of mill is I doubt the gear or gears would be terribly expensive to replace, but the boss wants it gone and he doesn't care how.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 4, 2013

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Honestly I wish I could just take it myself, but I don't have anywhere to put it, let alone having a truck big enough.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 4, 2013

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm glad, I was a little worried about that trailer. I'm just happy to see the thing go somewhere other than the scrapyard.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Danbury was going downhill when my Grandmother lived there 15 years ago. I've been through more recently, and I cannot blame you for wanting to leave. My parents actually both grew up there (well, my Mom was from Bethel, but close enough)

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wow, I've never seen bleed screws that long.

I bet you say that to all the guys.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

That weekend would work for me as well, I'd love to come see your house of horrors (and jeeps).

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Slow is Fast posted:

Kastein and I did that yesterday to cut up an impreza and drop off a transmission to iforge.

gently caress.

To think I thought my one day round trip to Utica was bad (about 10.5 hours). gently caress.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I've been meaning to make it to one of these for a while, so you can count me in. I should have my transmission fixed by then and won't have to baby my car anymore.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Black88GTA posted:

This too. I had jerky video footage of one such ride, but lost the phone maybe a month or two afterwards. It mostly featured blurred scenery, engine noise, and barely audible (but fairly constant) retard laughter from yours truly

I will bring my video camera, it's pretty decent and has proper image stabilization, we'll see if we can capture Ken's deathrun in all its glory. I would say chase cam would be a good idea, but I don't know if anyone else would want to subject their vehicle to that.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/reyrasco/media/NEJeep/2012%20Wheel%20the%20Farm/video/_DSC7606.mp4.html

I like the way he advertises it with a video of himself beating it up rock crawling.

I guess he knows his target audience.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

January:

February:

Yeah, Walmart really doesn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I don't know if any of you fellows are into this poo poo, but next weekend is the annual Northeast Rockbusters historic construction equipment event in Plainfield CT.

http://www.northeastrockbusters.com/UpcomingEvents.php

It's basically where a bunch of rich boomers bring their big boy toys together to dig in the dirt, and if you like construction equipment and/or old things with engines it's pretty great.

There were also some great old rigs used to haul this stuff around including the likes of Autocar and Brockway.

Here's a couple videos I took at the event last year. Forgive the quality, it was on my phone. I plan to bring my real camera this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIPfE4FU7bE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_cZl5M2QYs

• Locked thread