Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Oh yeah. I pdf'd the flea megathread since it slips into archives. I did take out all the poster names just to make it more accessible to non-SA/internet people though.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2oqliax4h5o7ydc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

MrFurious posted:

Can you put it on GoogleDocs? That way people can just read it. I'll edit the link in.
There you go:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2SEHekdZIteNXFTR2s0OUZRWmVjWXUxa1RDaU5BZw

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Fraction posted:

Speaking of puppies toileting on newspaper/pee pads whilst their owner is out, Lola is still doing that. The dogs are in the kitchen while I'm gone (as its the only non-carpet room) and she goes on the newspaper 99% of the time, but she's like eighteen months now and she still toilets on the floor.

I clean it up each time with enzyme cleaner and disinfectant, but it's still happening. Even if I'm only gone for two hours or so and I took her on a long walk before, there's almost always at least pee to clean up. Is she ever going to grow out of it?

What happens if you take the newspaper away entirely? It might be that she just isn't holding it because she doesn't feel she has to since there is a pee spot? (Not sure if I'm giving dogs too much credit here)

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

tonic316 posted:

Guess I am getting pet health insurance. Or does it not work like that?

I'm unaware of any pet insurance that cover breed specific problems. I might be wrong and there might be something new out there now, but I remember that being a clause on many.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

gowb posted:

Chow!
first dog
Is this a good idea?
Honest answer? No. Chows are really not first time dog owner dogs without some hefty research.

It's not impossible, but they aren't just fluffy versions of labs and have different requirements for training and socialization.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I think their problem is the puppy's dickishness toward the other dog, not people rude people. (still useful to know how to handle that though I'm sure)

I'm not exactly sure how you'd effectively train that out (repost your question in the training megathread, they'll probably have some ideas) but hopefully it's just a case of no dog manners and too much energy.

Does the puppy know a "leave it" command? I think that would transition to leaving another dog alone. If not make sure you do training for it both indoors and in the yard. Dogs are pretty dumb and don't generalize well.

Have you tried wearing out the puppy on its own first with a good walk before bringing him out to fetch with the older dog? (Walking before training exercises will also help him focus a bit better)

It seems like some sort of a "time out" situation would work in theory, but you'd have to immediately catch the bad behavior, so I'm not sure how that would work.

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 10, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

mascaria posted:

Well trained and well socialized Pits are dream dogs. They're super well behaved and calm but really glad to play when it's time to.

This is a honestly a very bad suggestion to a first time dog owner. :psyduck:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Gahh what a cutie, such pretty eyes. :3:

And yes, irregular eating is pretty typical. Try not to baby her TOO much by leaving the food down all day or she might get stupidly snotty about it. Scheduled feedings work out for the best.

Also have you brought her to your own vet just for a wellness check? Schedule one if you haven't. Not saying her lethargy is something medical, but it's more something you should get done to make sure she's clean.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

A Magical Unicorn posted:

I'm interested in buying a pair of Siberian Husky pups (after lots of research I believe I can handle their needs).

I must know what what research told you how simple it is two raise two spitz breed puppies so I can laugh at it.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

A Magical Unicorn posted:

A few pages back I asked about buying a pair of Huskies without papers, and was advised it was a really dumb idea, so I dropped it.

It took a heck of a lot of searching but I found this little guy

He's from a licensed breeder who has produced a stack of award-winning dogs and sounds like she really knows her stuff. On top of that he's the same price as the mystery dogs from the BYB!

So thank-you PI, I feel like I'm doing the right thing this time.

Stop. Post breeder website.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Yes. He will be missing out on various important puppy manners. Why are the other puppies being sold before at least 8 weeks? Who are you getting this puppy from?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

coyo7e posted:

Start with a flea collar and brush his coat regularly, I hate flea collars but they do work pretty well to deal with a really infested animal.

This is completely 100% wrong.

Flea collars not only don't work but they are dangerous to use. Do not follow this. Control F "flea" in the OP until you get to a section linking the old flea megathread. There is a google docs link right next to it, it has everything you need for treatment of the pet and your house. Start with flea drops, call your vet's office and ask what they recommend (this varies by area because of immunity), they really don't cost much and do what they're meant to do.

e: Tick collars on the other hand are fine and help keep ticks away better than most drops on their own, they're best for animals that are regularly going out in the woods and such, not so much treating an infestation. Ticks you're going to have to work to carefully manually remove once they're already on the dog.

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 10, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Unfortunately appropriate exercise and attention do not count into bare minimal care for a pet. Unless he is starving it of food/water, leaving it out without shelter, or ignoring its needs for medical attention- animal control isn't going to give two shits.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Snowmankilla posted:

Thanks to some advice from this thread, as well as my wife and I dog sitting again, we are getting a baby Yorkie this weekend (hopefully). We found a rescue group near us that has two puppies. One is healthy, one is getting over hypoglycemia and giardia. Now I am frantically reading the first post and getting books for my Kindle. Wish us luck, and I am sure I will be asking tons of questions to you guys.
Am I reading this wrong or are you for some reason planning to get two puppies at once?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Would it be possible for you to feed the cats set meals twice a day instead of leaving the food bowl out all day?

If not, unless your cats are old or especially fat, you should be able to teach them to jump a baby gate.

As long as you are appropriate giving the dog physical and mental exercise it needs to not be a neurotic mess, you're fine. Open spaces to run are nice when you can find them, but aren't required for any typical dog really.

Also, just wondering who is the breeder of the dog and is it a border collie or a rough collie? I'd be especially curious to see a breeder of the latter, as their lines have been kind of poo poo for awhile because of the show ring. Link their website if they have one.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Captain Foxy posted:

It's great that your dogs worked out for you, but I would say that you are definitely the exception, not the rule. By and large, getting two puppies at once is a bad idea.

ETA: Also, didn't you post about having issues with Littermate Syndrome or am I confusing you with someone else? LS is a lot to deal with on top of having two high energy young dogs going through puberty. Not exactly a piece of cake for anyone, let alone a new puppy owner.

I think that's the guy with two goldens. I recall he had issues with one of the dogs being an unruly rear end in a top hat, but I don't know much about LS and I don't know if it was a result of that.

And yeah, getting two adult dogs for those reasons is all well and good, but suggesting two puppies at once, to anyone, isn't doing them any favors.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
They breed "Maltipoos". Stay away.

Is there a reason it has to be from a local or in state breeder?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Engineer Lenk posted:

Are you sure you want a puppy? If you're flexible then you can find all sorts of toy or miniature poodles (and designer poodle mixes) in shelters or breed rescue.

Hell you can probably find puppies. Poodles are a pretty popular breed. But I do understand wanting to get one from a good breeder, good luck on your search.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Cuatal posted:

All the things they don't do when we're home they do when we're not at home. We come home to ripped up newspaper and poo poo all over the floor, but they would never dream of doing that if we were around. How do we get them to cut this poo poo out, besides putting them in their cages?

Also, how do we get them to stop complaining in their cages, just keep ignoring them?

Why would you not put them in their cages while you aren't home? That is kind of one huge key purpose of kenneling. It keeps the dogs AND your stuff safe.

And yes. Ignore ignore ignore, don't give in. Keep making the cage a good positive place with crate games and special treats and what not.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Can you keep them contained in like a sectioned off area or something? And yeah talk to your neighbors. I don't know how China feels about the whole crating thing but it's worth telling them that they're getting used to be left home alone or something.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Maksimus54 posted:

Thank you everyone. You have made it clear that the dog I "want" isn't really a dog that exists. I'm not going to go gently caress it up like so many that ask for advice and willingly ignore it. I'll still be looking for a big goofy lug of a dog that can't be named anything but buddy, not some guard/protective breed.

:allears: You are great. I'm sure you'll find a great dog.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I wouldn't lightly recommend anyone getting any giant breed just from the cost aspect alone. Big dogs are great but have a unique set of big dog problems that have to be considered.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Psychobabble! posted:

I've also been looking into breeders! The only problem is that most in the area seem to have not updated their website in 2+ years, or at least not since earlier this year :(. I keep looking, though.

Also, is it a rule that dog breeding websites have to be tacky and poorly designed as hell?

If you're isolating your search for a not horrible GSD breeder to just local, or even just your state, you are going to have a lousy time. GSDs are just one of those breeds that have the supreme poo poo end of the breeding spectrum. Show lines :argh:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Goldmund posted:

Thanks for the input. I'm looking for a pet, no plans to show or compete at all. My previous dog was a sheltie, and I had one as a kid as well. Terminally boring seems pretty harsh, both of mine were active and intelligent dogs.

She was referring to the watered down nature that comes with active dogs that are bred to be focused only on showing. Not Shelties as a whole.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Tiny Faye posted:

Judging by most breeder websites, I doubt they're that savvy. If you're really just that paranoid, the best thing to do is view the source code on the breeder web pages and see if they have a Google analytics tracking script implemented.

According to ghostery, they do not, and I really doubt most do.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Splat posted:

Ugh. Two nights in a row now Amelia has peed in her crate. I don't know why this started :( Should I be worried about a possible UTI or anything? She's been pretty able to hold it through the night for as long as we've had her.

Take her in to check for a UTI right away. UTIs get worse very very fast and it's really worth checking to see if medical problem before anything else.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

soap. posted:

Helo (6 month old Aussie) developed a limp yesterday after playing with his sister for a few hours. I felt up and down his leg, inspected his paw pads, and worked all his joints--nothing bugged him. I iced his leg a few times yesterday as well. He's still limping today, but not as bad. Currently we're keeping him confined so he can't run around and only walking him to eliminate.

What do you guys think? Call the vet? Give him another day? Warm compresses? I'm worried about the little guy even if it doesn't seem to bother him at all :(

You aren't a vet so you can't really make a real call on the health of his joints. (not trying to be snarky, just realistic) Since he's fairly young I'd be paranoid and bring him in to make sure it's nothing serious. It probably isn't, but I guess I'm overly precautions of problems like that after seeing so many PI stories of dogs developing joint and leg problems. :(

e: jesus this post was horribly typed.

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 1, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Most chewing problems with adult dogs stem from a lack of exercise and stimulation. It's more a symptom of boredom than actual problem if that makes sense. If you give him the proper exercise he needs, chances are he won't start chewing inappropriate things. Not that he shouldn't have toys though!

But for good chew items: Antlers are popular and last almost forever. You can get them online all over, but I forgot the site PI specifically likes.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I recommend these painting bags all the time, though I don't know if anyone's ever gone for it. :v:

http://www.aswexpress.com/discount-.../aquatotes.html

Check local supply stores if you don't want to pay shipping. Bring a photo with you though. I've found that supply stores have no idea what the hell I'm talking about if they don't stock them and it's awkward to describe them. "It's a bag that holds water..and it folds..uhh"

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Not sure, I can't recall ever seeing them there. Their painting section is pretty sparse. I go to Hobby Lobby a fair amount for collage/craft stuff, but they generally don't have higher end art supplies.

Also, Art supply ware house has awesome awesome prices on stuff, better than what you'll find in a majority of stores, but their shipping is a little steep. So I guess weigh what you'd rather spent $9 on, gas or shipping.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Are shelters not aware of her? She could easily be put on some kind of black list. A lot of shelters have simple contracts that saying you won't resell or give away pets you adopt.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

I Might Be Adam posted:

Any thoughts on the crating?

Crating is good for everyone especially you because you have a dicklord herding breed.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I actually don't have a dog but I had a question based on a picture I found on the forums here and I couldn't think of a better place to ask it.

Look at this guy's dog. Is this a good idea? Should you do this to a fuzzy dog like that ever? Not really considering getting one(although they are cute), just wondering.

General consensus seems to be no. Even if it the coat grows back normally, it doesn't do much for them in terms of cooling them off. Their coats help them regulate temperature to begin with. It also puts them at risk of getting sunburned.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Thwomp posted:

Can I get some recommendations?

My knowledge of animal anatomy is poo poo.

Depends on dog size, but chicken necks seem to be a pretty commonly recommended here. Just make sure your source is good. Don't do grocery store meat.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
How did you go about introductions?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Maybe I'm mixing this up but this is the guy with a toy breed puppy right? I think harnesses are generally more recommended for little breeds, or at least they are in the yappy rat thread.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Oh crap sorry, for some reason thought you were the person with the pomeranian. Yeah you're fine with a collar.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
If you're able to take him on walks, maybe look into a weighted backpack? I wouldn't think it would tear anything, but ask your vet first.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Oh puppy, duh. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Black Dynamite posted:

I was wondering if I could get some emergency puppy/corgi advice from anybody on here familiar with the breed, at lunch I saw an ad in the classifieds for a corgi puppy

This is always a giant red flag. Never buy puppies through ads like this.