Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Anyone have any recommendations for durable toys that make grunting sounds? I've found a few that were grunty and they drive my akita crazy, she absolutely loves them, but they were all soft and she killed them pretty quickly. I think her record is around three-four months with one of these pigs.

She has a couple Kong Huggz that squeak nicely and have made it a year and a half so far (albeit a little less squeakily than before) for reference on durability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Looselybased posted:

She is in the living room - I actually wouldn't mind her being in the bedroom but her crate is so ginormous it wouldn't fit anywhere. Last night my wife and I changed things up a little bit, I took her for a longer walk then usual right before crate time and when she went in we sat outside her crate until she calmed down. No crying last night, let's hope that continues but I think it might be a good idea to re-emphasize how wonderful her crate is with some more training. Can't hurt right? Anyway, here's payment for your advice:

She's a husky mix (husky lab maybe?) so her behavior is hard to predict. Sometimes she's calm when I'd think she should excited and vice versa. I love the little poo poo though.

Oh my god she looks like our dog who died last January :cry:

I think she was a klee kai/pug sort of mix though so she was tiny and had a bit of underbite but otherwise

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Fortunately my dog prefers to just try to inhale chipmunks from inside their burrows but we did have a rabbiter once, he was very good at it.

The most incompetent dog at any other time but he would go into stealthmode and kill rabbits and ducks

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You can try redirecting her whenever that starts. Just go for sit or something else simple. Click and command and get her attention back on you.

Worked very well for my dog inside the house. Outside on walks is a work in progress though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It sounds like she just hasn't learned how much bite force is appropriate while playing. This is a thing that puppies learn from their littermates and mother. This is a time when discipline is okay! Stuff like a firm grab of the scruff around the top of the neck/base of the skull when she starts. Since redirection isn't working you pretty much just have to shut it down.

In general, I suggest you look into a gentle leader. You basically leave it on throughout the day and take it off at bedtime for a week. A lot of people will think it's a muzzle but it's not, the dog can eat and bite and everything with it but it has a surprising effect. When I was a baby my parents found that it completely changed the very fluffy mystery mutt they bought from an Amish dry goods store to the point that she would actually listen.

Seriously a mystery dog, the mother was a shepherd of some kind but she was kept locked in a rather tall enclosure and not bred so whatever knocked her up was either a crafty wild animal or Zeus being a weirdo

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

She's doing a little bit of food guarding/territorial behavior. These are not good things but this sort of unease is fairly normal since it's a new environment. This is the sort of thing to make sure the trainer helps you with though!

That said, until you can get the trainer's advice on these things I would definitely feed her away from the cats.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Just curious...what are some of the thread's general thoughts on slip leads? We were at a PetSmart/rescue the other day with our pup (attempt at some controlled socialization, he's not quite ready for the dog park yet) and one of the volunteers noticed his pulling on his leash and asked if I'd tried a slip lead on him. To me it just seems like a choke chain wrapped in a pretty color so I had not tried one. I did give her the benefit of the doubt and try one for a few minutes on the pup. She talked about noticing his "energy" already being different, but I didn't notice anything different other than feeling like an rear end in a top hat for putting it on him in the first place. Has anyone else had a positive experience with this type of lead?

They can be useful in training a dog to not tug because fitted properly they are loose and comfortable when the dog isn't pulling.

You can also get a Martingale collar which operates on the same principle but has a maximum amount it can tighten. These are basically two loops of fabric (could be something else, but whatever), with one larger than the other. The adjustments are on the larger loop and the lead attachment is on the smaller, so that when the dog pulls, the small loop gets pulled back and tightens the larger one somewhat, but not infinitely like with a sliplead or choke chain.

That said if you want to stop your dog from pulling it's basically all in the effort to keep your dog heeled :ssh: My dog still pulls a little bit when there's something REALLY INTERESTING but mostly walks very gently and nicely and gets lots of compliments from strangers.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Britt Burns posted:

Just need to vent a bit.

I'm so incredibly sick of people letting their dogs run free at public parks! There are FOUR dog parks in the area, and they're not expensive - $24 for a year's access to all of them! My dog, Percy, isn't very dog-friendly, so when these poorly-kept dogs run up to meet him it inevitably ends in snarls and snaps. Thankfully Percy hasn't actually bitten another dog yet, but if he ever did it certainly wouldn't be his or my fault, as he is ALWAYS under my control and on-lead in public places. Whether it's an open park with sports fields or a heavily-wooded hiking path we've come across unleashed dogs. I hate feeling guilty for Percy's preferences when it's not us who are in the wrong :smith:

Proof of :shibe::

Same except mountains, I really hate having to shout at other people who keep their dogs off-leash on those because mine gets terrified when other dogs approach. Like she's really interested but everything needs to be done very calmly with me touching the other dog or she snaps and has bitten once before (without me present...) and I just can't do that with every dog we encounter, you know? :ohdear: But with me in control she just wags at them and cleans their eyes and ears.

Also as it happens it's just nice to the other hikers, some people are afraid of dogs :ssh: I once had a family thank me for walking mine leashed because two among them had been bitten begfore and weren't comfortable with dogs.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 28, 2016

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

As a counter example, when I was in middle school I walked the dogs of an elderly Scottish woman who had had polio when she was young and suffered fused ankles.

Her Kerry Blue Terrier had one but gave only negligible fucks about it. Was never really hurt but really didn't care.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

This was the same dog who once had some weird collar that was supposed to spray her with a puff of water when she barked, like a non-horrible version of the shock collar with a microphone on it. I mean, it did, but she figured out how to somehow get it to spray her without barking and since she liked that the thing would empty out really fast.

She also had only half of a lower jaw (removed due to cancer) but you would never have known due to her breed's beard until her tongue decided to flop out the side. Lived a solid 8 years like that I think.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Put on my puppies collar for the first time today. She will only be wearing it under supervision until I am not worried about her choking herself. She is itching at it ever 20 seconds. I am assuming she is just unfamiliar with it which is why she is doing it but should this be a concern? I worry about her so much :(

It's probably fine, just carefully examine the skin underneath when you take it off to make sure there is no in irritation from either the collar or the fussing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Uh we had a pretty abused rescue dog when I was in high school. The good news is that it's not particularly complicated to work through, the bad news is that it's quite slow.

For that dog we had to basically just... Never look directly at her for the better part of a year. Didn't like treats straight from hands, but putting on the floor somewhere in her field of vision and walking away usually worked for her to check it out.

Never, ever go towards her for now. Let her approach you when she wants.

Eventually she would come tearing down the stairs and over to the treat container when I came home from school though :kimchi: you'll get there.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

My previously 7 week old border collie/beagle mix is now 12 weeks old.

She unleashes a torrent of excited piss when I walk in, however, she's sleeping through the night and has been accident free for 2 days straight. Also I love this goddamn dog.

I took her to puppy training classes. On her second week, we did an exercise where the dog is lured to walk over unstable surfaces to build confidence or someshit. My dog took to it like a pig to poo poo and I had her doing sit, stand, lay down on a shakey training bridge, and in a big bowl.

Felt accomplished, that's for sure. I'm considering agility classes long-term, but I'm disappointed that the dog is only supposed to end up being around 25 lbs.

At least you know that she's just excited, my grandpa still rubs his dog's nose in the pee :smith:

Also there's some event spoken of in hushed whispers of one of his (blood, he's not really related to me at all) grandsons (kicking? I guess) so bad they thought she was dead

don't know who this guy is but I hate him a lot

I'd take the dog away but my akita is bad with excitable dogs and this one is quite excitable. Chill dogs she'll clean their ears and eyes gently but excitable ones she gets too agitated and snappy. I think her first owner just never socialized her at all so she doesn't know.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

You said you're willing to go pay for training, and that's 100% the best thing to do. Talk to your vet for recommendations. Explain the problem, different trainers will be more equipped to handle different problems and this will help them narrow it down for you.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Oh poo poo I somehow missed the two days bit.

Sometimes dogs really bond fast with one person, mine liked me way before she more than tolerated anyone else in basically the world.

I'd mostly take it slow but probably still go with a trainer, more your own education than for the dog's though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I vaguely looked into breeders a while ago so I know what I'm getting into soonish here

I don't want anything but another Akita now and my sweet girl is almost 12 and has lymphoma and is nearing the end :smith:

Mostly I'm just upset that since she was adopted at around 3.5 years I missed like a third of her

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I came to regret it when i got something that made the same sort of click sound and had to deal with a very confused dog for a while, does that count

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ah Jesus that sucks. I've been lucky that I haven't had a dog do that but I'll be careful when I eventually get a puppy.

I'm on a waitlist from a good breeder for an Akita puppy after I had to put my sweet Snowbell dog down just a bit short of 12 years old since she had lymphoma. Did all I could and got an overall lovely 6 more months with her before in the last few days she just went downhill real fast and couldn't manage to walk out the door before needing to lay down . I still can't believe some fool gave her to a shelter.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

If you have a dog door, do you let your dogs have access to the outdoors while you're at work? I've worked from home for the entire time I've had my little Havanese, but I'm starting a new job this week and trying to figure out what to do with her during the day. She usually has free reign of the house and backyard if she wants it, but I'm worried about letting her go outside while I'm gone during the day. It can get up to 105F, and she doesn't have much of a brain. I'd rather deal with a few potential accidents than injury/death.

Any other tips for making the transition? She is a velcro dog, so I'm sure it will be difficult.

If you're worried about heat (reasonable), go ahead and close the flap and be prepared to let her out immediately when you get home and clean up after if necessary. If there seem to be issues, probably work on some more strict toilet training to reward that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Snowbell was very sweet and I don't think she really cared if it was raining or not but she cooperated with me putting a raincoat on her so that there would be less of her getting wet at least.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Enhanced shedding after a bath on a double coated breed (such as a golden retriever) is nothing to worry about - getting in there with soap and water and lots of massaging is very good at getting in there and loosening up fluff that was already going to come out. In fact it's very good because that double coat wants to shed!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

https://i.imgur.com/8DNx0cJ.gifv

Your sneeze has disturbed the peace. The penalty... is death!

I recognize that hedgehog toy!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Enfys posted:

I had to say goodbye to my best friend, the best dog, who's been with me nearly my entire adult life. It has utterly destroyed me.

I'm sorry friend. I'm stuck in the same place.

If you don't have any printed photos, I really recommend finding some of the ones on your phone(s) that you really like and getting them printed so you have some permanent reminders around. Sounds kind of silly but it's nice to have that still around.

I got prints of a picture of Snowbell snoozing next to me when she was at the shelter and one of her curled up impossibly small for an 80 pound dog framed, one is by my bed and the other is on my desk. I might get a few more. It's really nice to just have physical reminders of the dog that she was around the house.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 30, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Woolly :3:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If possible , it's probably a good idea to contact your doctor and get advice. Hopefully it'll just be "wash thoroughly and keep an eye out for these symptoms", but if more extreme action is warranted, you want to know sooner rather than later.

Of course almost all humans are immune to it and it's easily curable with antibiotics in the event that your family is in the unlikely set

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

She probably just took a while to get up and about, dogs can get real woozy.

Enjoy your wobbly, rubbery friend for the evening :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

On the other end of things, one of the times I was taking Snowbell on a day hike a family we passed going the other direction who didn't have a dog of their own thanked me for keeping her on a leash.

It's not just other dogs! There are people out there who have had bad experiences with dogs and a strange dog running up to them, no matter how friendly, is a stressful experience!

e: the breeder whose list i'm on has announced puppies expected end of this year. time... to hope

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

There are a lot of people around here that are scared of dogs. It used to be funny to me and now it's just annoying. The number of people that have physically screamed when they've come through the concierge and not noticed the dog till we are walking past.

It's typically the same ethnicity too and I don't want to generalise but I do feel like it's a possible cultural issue or something. It's quite strange.

That's a level I've never seen, there's been visible discomfort/wariness but my dogs have been on leashes and under control so generally we just go by each other and that's the end of it.

More common with Snowbell was literally stopping traffic because people would just stop their cars and tell me how beautiful she was. My sweet giant baby.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Breeds absolutely have difficulty levels, and larger breeds with high prey drives take a lot more work from the owner to make into happy and well adjusted friends.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Did they just say if you carry on as you are the dog will grow out of it a little and start to calm down in the future by any chance?

That can work depending on how dog-reactive your dog is. If they're very reactive then you probably need some training to keep their attention on you beforehand but ultimately that's the goal, their attention ends up on you and you just act like there's nothing to worry about and they think "oh, ok, nothing to worry about I guess".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

H13 posted:

Excuse me.

As I clearly stated.

He is a tiny fluffy puppy.

One of the mysteries of dog is that they are both simultaneously

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dumb anxietybrains waitlist question

A while back I accepted a spot on a pretty well respected breeder's list ( https://www.japaneseakitausa.com/ ) and a few months later shot some follow up questions about his specific list and never got a reply and it's been like 8 weeks after. His replies previously were pretty quick.

Is it rude to bother? Idk??? I know it's a while out most likely just bc it's not a super common breed and I'm trying to make myself be Normal instead of anxietybrainsed

Tell me about y'all's waitlist experiences i guess

e: I don't doubt that he's busy rn since there was a litter last night and I don't wanna throw another email into a bunch of emails like that

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 28, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Lol I was just full of anxiety, contacted me this morning to let me know my spot came up.

Pubby :kimchi:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

If it's being closed by the city, contact the city's animal welfare department with your concerns, I'm sure you can get some official there to help you if they are shutting that place down, and they can have someone make sure you do the neutering.

Yeah I'd find out something like that, but also remember that pediatric spay/neuter is done a lot of the time by shelters as they are seeking not only to help abandoned pets get to loving homes, but also to prevent there being abandoned pets in the first place. Kinda comes up with cats more than dogs but them's the breaks. I expect something that is getting shut down by the city has city oversight and is probably a bit more strict on this than a charity run one.

e:

fyallm posted:

And that lasted 1 feeding. She just licks the wetfood off the kibble... Looks like she just randomly decided purina pro plan adult sensitive skin & stomach salmon & rice is a no go.... Her bloodwork came back totally fine.. Any suggestions for a replacement food that doesn't contain chicken?

When Snowbell was doing this (and locking herself into a not eating > upset tummy > diarrhea cycle) I ended up starting on a thing where I would buy salmon fillets, cook them to temp, and flake up about an ounce and mix it in while she watched/smelled. Flaking served the double purpose of making it very mixable/hard to mine out and letting me find any little fishy bones. The high value food + big show of it worked well enough - she'd sometimes eat only half of it and then return later, but it always kept her doin okay and she didn't have any butt troubles again until the end of her life when the lymphoma happened.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 29, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

We have a ~9 year old dog that we've had for about 3 years. She's absolutely a sweetheart and wonderful, however now we have a 1 year old child, and she's become a menace. We can't get her to stay away from the kid while he's eating, she's barking all the time when she doesn't get attention, etc. My wife stays at home all day with the dog and child and she's losing her mind. It's probably just bad exacerbating bad training that we didn't realize we were setting up before we had a kid.

I've never done formal training with a dog before, is 9 too late to train a pup? Are things like "hey please be calm when you're not the center of attention" and "hey please stop trying to bowl over the kid when he's eating goldfish" things that can be fixed with training?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I didn't see a dedicated training thread.

edit-- Rosie tax

It is not too late. It will be harder than with a puppy but it's not impossible.

The basics of teaching her sit, down, stay, etc can work wonders by giving the dog something to do instead of the bad behavior so start there. It's not going to work when the kid is eating obviously, so you'll have to start it with her separately. Also if you've been in the habit of giving her treats off of your plates or whatever you're gonna have to hard stop that because she might just be thinking "hey tiny human where's my share".

e: edited in quote for new page context

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 7, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You're doing things right, sorry about your friend being a jerk. A lot of people think crates are some kind of dog jail, instead of a comforting, safe den.

And I'm glad that Newton is continuing to gain confidence! You go, little buddy.

Yeah used correctly, a crate is just a dog's personal space. It's a problem if he shows no sign of ever leaving but that's obviously not the case with Newton, you're doing fine.

Also, what's appropriate for a newly arrived dog is going to vary depending on each dog's history - it's possible for there to be a confident dog who will happily explore and not want the safety of the crate, but that's not the dog you have. You're doing the right thing by letting him have his own space.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

There's no bad dogs, only bad owners, but some dogs are easier to have bad owners.
But also we already have plenty of dogs so maybe we should stop making certain dogs.
Yes I'm a doggy eugenicist,I wasn't, until I saw what a pug skull looked like and it's clear we just can't be trusted any more

For sure, pit bulls, rottweilers, etc have bad raps because one of the things about dogs is they get restless if you don't engage with them and be properly The Leader (which does not need to involve any major dominance things, simply being quietly and calmly indomitable is better than trying to engage in so-called Alpha poo poo), and larger dogs are more dangerous if they aren't controlled.

Akitas are also in here, and finding one at a shelter was more or less life changing for me and I'm apprehensively looking forward to my puppy in ~5ish weeks.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah, "board and train" is weird to me and I question its value. When I had to get training for Snowbell re her dog aggression because she was much more dog than I had ever had before (both physically and mentally), the value was in learning how I had to behave differently in order to have her behave differently. Board and train couldn't have done anything to help there.

The training helped and I did my part and got a very calm and confident dog for the rest of her life. Never got fully non-reactive toward other dogs - always kept an eye on them when we passed on walks - but was very easy to keep in control and moving forward instead of wanting to lunge.

Snowbell being an akita was definitely on the willful side of dog, but learning how to just be the chill and in charge person she expected is the kind of thing I think is fine for less willful breeds as well. It really was just learning to be what she would look at for guidance and then realize "oh you don't really care about that dog, it must be not that big of a deal after all".

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 19, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Getting a tentative pickup date (local winter weather allowing) and i'm losing my mind slightly more

Getting pictures as well and they're all so fuzzy now :3: :3: :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

Is it not allowed to post the pictures? Akitas right?

Oh no sorry I just usually have to trim him out of them. This is a snip out of a reel. IDK if this is mine or not it's not fully decided which is mine and I can't see the color coding anyway if it were