Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

She is probably down for about 25 minutes at a time, I guess, but it's at a wandering/photo taking pace V:shobon:V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

When do people usually start giving puppies a little freedom from their tether?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I mean tether as in the puppy being connected to me in the house, not the puppy being off leash outside of the house.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

blue squares posted:

Day 1 of puppy training: 4 pees inside, 1 outside. Haha. I think tomorrow will go smoother since we can start from wake up and be consistent. Today was kinda hectic.

Anyways, my question: Does anyone think a gravel area is a bad potty training spot? There's no grass in the back yard, so the older dog uses the 4' x 40' gravel side yard to do his business. Puppy doesn't seem to like it too much.

Trust me, tether your puppy. It makes it so much easier, even if you think you can manage without (like I did for first couple of days).

My yard is paving slabs, no grass, and my puppy is doing amazing with house training. If the gravel is hurting her paws and making her dislike it, could you brush aside a patch of it or something?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

How I crate trained puppy at night = shoved her in, verbal corrections when she shrieked, praise when she was quiet. After like three nights she'd settle after a minute or two. Now she views the crate as awesome and sleeps immediately in it at any time. She sleeps for like ten/eleven hours a night every night and usually I have to drag her out of the crate in the morning :shobon:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Omerta, it's likely just a stress/new food thing. Make sure you clean up after her in your house with an enzyme cleaner, and get her on a schedule asap. Take her out every couple of hours to toilet. Dogs can be housetrained but regress a little in new and stressful situations. Personally I would still get her a vet appointment in the next couple of days, just to check up on everything.

Is it normal/ okay for dogs to lie down with their legs kind of splayed out in front of them? Lola never lies down like that, and neither did Jess, but Kalli often lies with her elbows kind of set out in front of/beside her. (Wow that is hard to explain.)

She also often moves both of her back legs simultaneously, like a bunny hop. Lola has always done that and I once got it checked out, but apparently that's normal too?

I don't want my puppy to break omg :ohdear:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I got a picture of the leg thing:

When I took Lola to the vets (checking for luxating patella at the time, because she started doing it at ~6 months old) he just said it was something that some dogs do. I'll keep an eye on her though!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Thanks for the info, guys! I'll just keep an eye on her/see if it changes. For bunny hops in adult dogs - Lola only does it occasionally, usually on leash first thing in the morning whilst walking to the field. I figured it was her back end moving too fast for her front (she's hardly amazingly built or anything). :shobon:

Topoisomerase posted:

And fraction your dog is not in respiratory distress it's probably just a puppy being a puppy so please no freaking out.

:sweatdrop: I was practically hyperventilating until this point lmao

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Have you tried scrubbing with a bleach and water solution?

For my back yard (concrete), I just use a no-brand pine scented disinfectant. Works like a charm.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Martello posted:

Care to elaborate here? I have no idea whatsoever what you're talking about.

When your dog is interacting with other dogs she isn't being 'dominant'. She just sounds nervous.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

A friend of a friend of mine got two Plummer terrier bitches as puppies and raised them together. One of the dogs iirc was really anxious about strange people, and eventually they had to rehome one because they developed bitch aggression and would turn into screaming pillars of dog rage at the sight of each other.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Why is it that America usually(?) gives vaccs 8-16 weeks and England gives them 8 and 10/11 weeks?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

How I introduced the puppy to Lola: brought puppy on the yard with me, brought Lola out, let them say hi, everyone went inside.

Stop spergin, goons.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Is there a sort of deadline for when puppies should have started teething before it may become a problem? Kalli is 17 weeks now and hasn't started losing teeth or chewing all of the things.

E after I posted this I found a bit of blood on the chew in her crate so I guess it's started?

Fraction fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 27, 2013

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

TShields posted:

What's good dog-walking etiquette?

Clean up after your dog craps. Don't let your dog greet any strange person/dog without the other person's say. If the person moves themselves or their dog away, do NOT try to force an introduction. I don't let my dogs toilet in people's gardens, because that's their property. My dogs relieve themselves on the stretches of grass that nobody owns or on the pavement.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

TShields posted:

This doesn't work for us. Our dog will happily pee in his crate and wallow in it all day while we're gone. It's usually while we're at work, but the other day it happened while we were only gone for 3-4 hours. That's one of the reasons the 'welcome home' spaz-outs I asked for help with a little ways up are even more of a pain when he's covered in puppy pee and jumping all over you. He's 6 months old, probably too old to be doing that sort of thing, but how the hell can you even curb it? Just have to let him outgrow it I guess.

To curb welcome home madness, ignore puppy. My older dog pees in excitement sometimes, so I open the crate, let her out to toilet, and greet her after she's been to the toilet and calmed a little. Frantic behaviour makes me stand up and turn my back on her.

It sounds like your pup isn't crate/house trained properly. How long are you crating for during the work day?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

When Lola was younger, I used to leave her in a room with newspaper down for her to toilet on. She was very difficult to house train, perhaps because of this, but she would resort to screaming and making GBS threads in the crate. (And then stressing herself out even more because There Is poo poo In My Den.)

It might be an option for you to stick your dog in a destruction-proofed room with newspaper down, TShields. A dog toileting in its den is bad physically and psychologically for the dog.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

TShields posted:

Granted, but not every solution works for every household, and you can't get pissy when I decide an option won't work for me. I don't leash him when I take him out, and I really don't plan to start. We have a fenced in back yard specifically for the dogs. He knows enough to walk down the stairs, pee, and come back- or run around and play if he's in the mood. If I open the crate and put a leash on him, I'll go from having a screaming puppy jumping around when I get home to having a screaming puppy jumping around with a leash on him.

Silently uncrate puppy, do not greet, take him to the yard and greet after he's toileted. Then uncrate the other dog so they can't feed off of each other's excitability.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Picked up my pup's tug rope today and found little spatters of blood on it. Dog doesn't seem to be in any pain, had a look in his mouth and saw nothing amiss - is this just a normal part of teething?

Secondly, an odd question - is there any way to 'induce' pooing? After a few days he seems to be getting that outside is for peeing (save for when he gets too excited indoors) but pooing is another matter. Took him on a twenty minute walk today, then stood with him out in the yard knowing he needed a poo for another twenty. Nothing. Took him in, immediately he ran into the corner and tried to poo. I know he needs to poo, he knows he needs to, but he doesn't want to go outside. Is there a way I can make him go so I can reward him and teach him outside is best?

Thanks again for all your advice.

A tooth might have pulled slightly loose, but not loose enough to fall out.

Keep dog out so long that he has no choice to toilet outdoors. Running around off leash or on a long line will help get the bowels moving. When he does finally go, reward like crazy. Tether indoors so he can't run off and self-reinforce (poo poo in the house).

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I feed my dogs kibble, no water or anything. They might get some scraps of food if I make too much dinner or they're begging and I'm in a good mood while cooking.

I'm about to switch Kalli from a decent food (wainwrights) to one with less protein/more filler crap in the hopes of actually getting solid shits out of her maybe someday hopefully :toot:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

bite puppies all day every day????

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

yes I'm sure nothing could possibly go wrong/be stupid about liberally coating one's hands in butter at all times in case of Puppy Attack

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

ButWhatIf posted:

Hey dude we could just replace you with a bot that responds to nearly every single post with this. Like I get that you're frustrated that people don't want to go memorize an OP that rivals Moby loving Dick, but nearly every response you make is either a link to your master's thesis of an OP or a recommendation to re-read it. If people aren't reading it, the fault doesn't lie with the people who don't want to read it.

I do believe you are applying P+ with this post, I find it very aversive. Perhaps you could try smearing butter on your posts instead??

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Pulling Teeth posted:

Thanks for your opinions everyone - we have decided to get the opinion of our vet before going any further. I should point out that very early age desexing is quite common in at least some organisations, and major organisations including the RSPCA in Australia (our largest animal welfare organisation) routinely desex pups and kittens at this age. I looked at other major animal welfare groups too and it is interesting that most of them have decided to avoid the issue completely by taking the "talk to your vet" route. I'm certainly not advocating the practice, but it is becoming more common.

http://kb.rspca.org.au/RSPCA-Policy-A06-Companion-animal-management_158.html

Bear in mind that rehoming organisations like the RSPCA are not interested in the individual welfare of an individual dog when it comes to neutering. They neuter as early as 8 weeks because that is when the animal will be placed for adoption. They COULD say to someone, 'come back in 4 months time for neutering', but then they risk the new owner not coming and having to chase them down, which they don't have the time for. It's much simpler (and better for them) if they neuter the animal before it is adopted, no matter what the age.

Just because something is becoming more common doesn't mean it's actually any good.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Uncle Lina posted:

When is the best time to put my puppys collar on? He is about 8 weeks old now and he gets depressed and lethargic whenever he wears a collar or harness. He will have to wear a collar permanently for his tags when we get them. Is it best to put it on and then tough it out and not give in?

For the record he makes this face when he has to wear one

Put collar on, leave collar on. Bam, done.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

What material is the bowl - ceramic, metal, plastic, etc?

1.5cups sounds like a hell of a lot for an ~8 week old puppy. At that age my bc was on like 3/4 to 1 cup a day.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

cryingscarf posted:

I feel that way looking at my 3rd dog now, and sometimes I look at him compared to a very experienced dog owner/trainer and feel like I don't know what the hell I am doing. You just keep going and let your dog teach you new lessons in dog ownership.

Don't worry, you don't need to compare yourself to me :haw:

wtftastic posted:

Kong wobblers are fantastically easy to fill and feed from- Bailey has been using his for every meal for ~1.5 years. I also give him kibble in other small treat toys for when I leave in the AM.

Both my dogs absolutely love the kong wobbler we have. I should prob invest in another one at some point but :effort:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

anaaki posted:

Oh my god my puppy is 13 weeks and has reached her "terrible twos" or whatever equivalent this would be. She is resource guarding everything.... Her bowl, the couch, her toys.... I purchased the Jean Donaldson book so I could work with her on it.

A 13 week old puppy absolutely should not be resource guarding things. It's not just a puppy stage, it's serious. Don't go to bark busters; you need to find a trainer/behaviourist who uses R+ methods. Using dominance methods on a resource guarding puppy isn't just way overkill, it's also likely to cause more problems than it solves.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

If I presented Kalli with a bowl of food & a ball in, I'm pretty sure her little brain would just implode

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Dirt5o8 posted:

My other experience with small terriers and running are my sister's Mini-Rat Terriers who were pretty well broken into distance running by the rime I met them. Is there anything I should be cautious of when starting a new dog on long runs? When I say long I'm meaning about an hour or so. I figure I'd do some shorter ones to phase her into it and keep an eye on her nails and pads. Am I overlooking anything?

Start on slow, short runs, and build up very gradually. She might be high energy, but she's still only a little dog!

Get her a harness so she can pull (my JRT loves to tow me along when we run) and so that if you have to abruptly stop, you're not going to hurt her neck. Make sure she stays on one side or ahead of you. A dog that weaves in front of you will quickly get stood on, and she won't much like that. It's useful to have a cue that says 'now we Runnin' too.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

my JRT holds it for 9hr no problem

pee pads are gross

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

luscious posted:

A bab ygate may prevent her from going near the fridge but I don't think that it will stop the desire to scratch / dig, and as soon as she has access she will be right at it. Maybe try some kind of a "would you rather" game using treats and a clicker. Anytime that she starts scratching, wait until she stops, and then click and treat. If you have some spare monies laying around and are looking for something really awesome you could try to Treat and Train as it will benefit you in MANY ways. In this case, as soon as she stops scratching the fridge and is quiet for a minute, push the button and she gets to go and have her treat (that way you don't need the clicker and treats in hand all the time).

^ do never

Actively interrupt the behavior (body block, correction, conflicting cue, whatever) or redirect the dog or block access. Above advise is saying to operant condition dog to scratch and stop and that's dumb

(& euth all useless dogs, starting with mine)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

My dogs both have preferences to peeing on hard floors (i.e. pavement, the back yard, even the middle of roads :haw:). In the yard I just swill it down with hot water + disinfectant weekly or so in the summer, and monthly or so in the winter. Got no problems.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Swill the alley down yourself if you're that grossed out by it.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

General rule of thumb = 1hr left alone for every 1 month of age. So an 8 week/2 month old puppy shouldn't be left more than 2hr without at least a bathroom break (and pref play), a 4mo old can be left around 4hr, etc. Obviously dogs are individuals and all that but it's a good thing to try and stick to imo

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I got a pair of medium sized cuz toys when I got my bc pup, around 1.5yrs ago. They're still going strong (and squeaking!) after pretty much daily abuse.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Lol @ 'i want a healthy active dog so gonna get a bulldog'

If health and fitness are important to.you it's prob not the right breed for you.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

OEBs are still real unhealthy like any other brachiocephalic breed tbh

How active do you need or want the dog to be? If you outline exercise plans to the breeder they will hopefully know their dogs enough and be honest enough about whether that'll be too much or w/e

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

a life less posted:

I'd want to know about the temperament of the dam and sire, and other dogs in their lines. Prone to stress? Dog aggression? Human aggression? Fearful?

Yeah I'd ask for an honest representation of both the positives and negatives of the temperament of their dogs. No dog is a total perfect angel and if they try to claim otherwise they may be lying or muddying the truth about other things e.g. prone to health issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Not a puppy question, but does anyone have experience with sheltering dogs? As in taking dogs in for some time while they don't have a permanent home.

My wife and I are thinking about doing this since we're trying to determine if we can handle adopting one due to our schedules and living arrangements. In theory we can shelter the dog for as long as we want to, so if we realize we really can't care for it properly we just turn the fella back to the sheltering organization.

Wondering if there are some tips to make the dog more comfortable in a temporary home, or stuff I should look out for when sheltering. We live in an apartment so it would probably be a small, older dog.

What you're talking about is usually called fostering. Though if you're fostering hoping to adopt it's usually a home trial.

I fostered a staffie for a week and a half or so over Christmas. All you really need to do is quickly and gently introduce to your routine, make sure you give the dog plenty of toilet breaks (more than you'd expect maybe for its age/amount it drinks) to avoid accidents and don't get worried if it doesn't eat for a few days. Hug a dog, hang out with a dog, I dunno it's all pretty straightforward stuff.