Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

bamhand posted:

This might be a dumb question but is there a way to avoid having my dog get tangled in his leash? He's got long legs so he's constantly stepping over it when there's any slack and ends up with the leash going between his two front legs. Or is this just a fact of life with how leashes work?

We do have a retractable leash but the regular ones are more convenient if we're not going for a long walk.

Harness or collar? My dogs tangle less with the harness, but also they figured out how to step over the leash after a few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Anyone else’s dogs just kind of bring them stuff?

Gobi has a bunch of chew stuff, bones and hooves and whatnot, he chews on. Sometimes he brings them to me and I’ll hold them while he chews if it’s kind of a tough spot, or he really wants to tear a piece off.

But sometimes he’ll give me stuff and will refuse to chew it. He’ll just sit there and watch me hold it.
If I put it down he’ll do it again.

Is he just being nice? Does he want me to chew it?

My dog has started doing this in the morning after walks he grabs a toy and takes it into the bedroom until my wife wakes up. I think he does it because she praises him when he brings her a toy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Question about protecting my car interior from the pup.

After driving a shitbox with no AC I finally went out and got a brand new car. Gobi loves riding in the passenger seat and I clip his harness in to the buckle so it’s just long enough to let him hang out the window.

I keep his nails cut, but even so in the old car he left a lot of little scratches on the door panel (where he puts his front paws) and even some light scratches on the exterior, cause he likes to basically hang his head and front paws out the window.

I like driving him around, but now that I have a nicer car I don’t want thin scratching stuff up if I can help it. It also has sort-of bucket seats so he’s less stable now, so he’s sliding around a little more which means he’s more apt to accidentally scratch stuff.

Any products or something that may be able to help with this?

One of those mechanics mats? his bodyweight will keep it down.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sistergodiva posted:

Any tips for dealing with a landshark? Feet and hands are apparently sooooo much more fun than any toy.

Right now she has two modes: bite everything or passed out.

making GBS threads, peeing, barking, whining, biting, scratching. Wouldn't tolerate this from any person, but she is just so cute I can handle it.

I really had no idea what people said when they said puppies where hard work. I though I had.

Friend spent the whole evening before visiting making this for Coco

When they bite just turn away and isolate. Be careful not to make them think it's a game, esp with a terrier that's basically bred to think everything tiny is prey

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My neighbor got a puppy that ain't sleeping and it keeps setting off my dog.
It's 5am save I've been up on and off since 1230

The puppy makes a sound, wakes up my dog who then jumps into our bed and wakes us up, gets too hot and goes back to his bed and falls back asleep, and this. Keeps. Happening.
Nothing I can do, it's a puppy they just brought home like two days ago, I'm sure it will start sleeping through the night soon.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 28, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Spray the mit

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mustache Ride posted:

A new puppy arrived.

This is Griffin, a Wirehaired Griffon/Standard Poodle mix that we brought home yesterday. The breeder called him a GriffyPoo (which I hate). He's 10 weeks home and an adorable old man, though.

We had some issues with being lonely last night in the Pen, but other than that he's adjusting with the other dogs pretty well.

Seems to be a pretty low energy puppy, so far. We've been in the backyard, but the chickens have had bad experiences with my parents puppies so they ran away immediately. Had a play session for an hour this morning and immediately took a nap.

Here's the parents. I was able to get pedigrees for both:

Wife wants to bond with him but of course she immediately had to go out of town. Pretty sure he's my dog now

What's a good suggestion for early puppy socialization in these trying times? Should I look for a puppy kindergarten class?

Sorry but if you own a poodle mix you have to use the name.
Those are the rules.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You have to use the name as punishment for spending whatever you did on a fancy mutt.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Get fixed.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I woudl try and get a puppy at your destination instead of where you're at now. It's a year long wait list anyways so I'm sure you can find yourself falling in love with a shelter pup before then...

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

StrixNebulosa posted:

Apollo has decided it’s cool and good to jumpkick slam into the door while waiting for me to let him out. This is a new variant on spinning in a circle and jumping up and down.

Any advice on convincing him not to do this?

Eventually one of the two will break and the problem solves itself.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How do you guys get a dog to calm down when you take them places?
Like my dog loves going to seeing my parents/inlaws parents but while he's there he just won't calm down.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Alucard posted:

We just noticed when trimming our pup's nails that one of them is slightly cracked (probably from them being long and her banging on her crate). Any rough impressions on whether this should be cause for concern or probably will resolve itself? Nothing is bleeding but it is a little splintered.

Nail in question (second from right, shows the hairline crack):

Doggo in question:

We're currently planning to call the vet to see if they can check it out tomorrow, but might just be overbearing dog parents.

Does she care about it?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Meet this guy on our walk today
I'm pretty sure it's a coyote but it has this perfectly sheered patch like a dog?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How do I get my dog to accept guests?
I live in an apartment and he sees people all the time, generally a little timid but warms up. But if someone comes into our apartment he'll just post up and start barking. If you give him treats he'll gladly accept them and then go back to barking.
He has to be put in a bedroom until guests leave.
The weird thing is he does this even with people he knows. Like maintenance people. He sees them all the time, happily says hi, but if they enter the apartment it's bork o'clock.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

:swoon:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Turds in magma posted:

I have a nearly-fully-grown (48 lb), 10 month old Goldendoodle and 8 weeks ago my wife and I had to spend a week in the hospital with our premature baby. We left the dog with friends and when we got back he was having major gastrointestinal issues. His stool was never particularly solid but I had chalked it up to being a puppy, but now it was a mucousy-bloody-mess.

I put him on chicken, rice, pumpkin, and a probiotic and it mostly cleared him up. Slowly tried reintroducing his kibble (Hills Science Diet for puppies) but when I got to about 50% kibble, 50% chicken/rice/pumpkin he started having issues again.

Talked to the vet and she suggested Hills Prescription GI. Got a bag and started mixing it in with the chicken/rice and it did wonders for his gut. The problem now is that once I got it to about 75% kibble, 25% chicken/rice he started losing interest. With pure kibble he really isn't interested - he pokes around a bit but maybe eats half a cup to a cup over a whole day (he should be eating 4). One day he ate nearly nothing.

It's only been 4 days on pure kibble - does this just take time? My strategy so far is to not introduce any chicken/rice/treats/anything else and just wait him out. But I want to make sure that this waiting game isn't harmful/futile.

edit: he's cute as heck, if that helps
Your dog won't starve themselves to death, and probably doesn't like the kibble as much as the good stuff. Would you?
My dog can get picky with kibble too and it's not uncommon for him to skip a meal sometimes a whole day. As long as your dog remains energetic and isn't literally killing themselves it's fine. Don't worry about it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If she has an infection it might be messing with her appetite and desire for even treats.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Luna

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Instant Jellyfish posted:

It snowed, dogs are thrilled

Sneak

GOGOGOGO

Mina was having fun, that's just her face

A very cute resting bitch face.
Not to be confused for when she's sleeping and it's the resting bitch's face

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Andoman posted:

You should take him to your Vet for a check up. They may want to do a joint tap and a blood test depending on what they see.

Take him to a different vet? Or is he too willey to be so easily bamboozled?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Goodpancakes posted:

Well my nightmare happened. Took my dog for a walk and a loose pitbull loomed out of the darkness. Off leash, no tags, went right for my dogs neck and got him. I buried my foot in his diaphragm and he let go. I was able to keep between my dog and the pit while I let the dog know what I thought of him. Eventually a young woman ran out to get her dog, followed by a man who apologized profusely. I was high on adrenaline so I yelled that the dog was a menace to this guy. I'm a huge guy so I'm sure I scared this dood shitless. Didn't break the skin on my dog, and he was shook up but seems okay. Intense night

Burn them all.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Brisket is on steroids and that means 3am potty breaks every day now. Were live on the fifth floor. Help.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HootTheOwl posted:

Brisket is on steroids and that means 3am potty breaks every day now. Were live on the fifth floor. Help.

UPDATE: Dog developed fever and was taken to the Emergency Vet on christmas. His present was a whole lot of pills as Vet 2 got annoyed that Vet 1 thought his infection was done and now we're treating maybe pnemonia.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Does anyone know of like a change dispenser for tiny dog treats? I'm looking for something I can carry around and reward my food motivated dog like peed a button on a tube, a treat falls out like a pez.
Actually if they make doggy pez I can just use a pez dispenser.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Andoman posted:

That is a genius idea. I reckon some of the puppy kibble would fit well inside a pez dispenser.

I don't think my dog would find kibble to be a treat. He's got open feeding now and only eats when he feels like it. But if it's kibble he doesn't get normally, maybe?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I just saw this mentioned recently on a dog group. I have no idea how well it works but you just jam a hot dog or cheese stick or something that shape in it and it pops out a slice when you click a button.

Huh, I wonder if there's a shelf-stable treat stick I can put in there. Don't really want half a hotdog sitting in my fridge.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

How do I get my idiot dog to stop pissing on his front left paw

Make him lift and mark

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Rev posted:

I've got a 5.5 month Greater Swiss Mountain Dog who for the most part is happy and healthy. However once every other week or so at random he will wake us up between 4-6am with loud horking noises which culminate in dry heaving, and very rarely upchucking a small amount of pale brown-colored liquid (bile perhaps?). He's now started doing this every night for the last four nights despite no noticeable change to his diet or lifestyle. He doesn't seem to be in distress afterward and will usually just fall back asleep in a few minutes. He's never done this outside of the 4-6am window.

I'm booked for a vet apt in a week's time, but curious if anyone has ever gone through a similar thing. Again 90% of the time he doesn't barf up anything, once he's barfed up a wrapper he must have eaten on a walk, and 10% of the time it's maybe a teaspoons' worth of pale brown liquid.

Dog Tax:
Sounds like your dog ate something he wasn't supposed to, like whatever was in that wrapper. Sometimes it can take them a while to expel it.
My dog ate a toy once and it took him ten days to throw it up.
Switch to something easy to eat like chicken and rice until he stops or the thread gives you a better idea. And, of course, listen to what your vet says.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Dogs don;t generally like you touching their paws and holding them tight and bringing things near them.
We tried one of those grinders for Brisket's paws and the noise was a no go and I don't trust myself with a clipper so he just goes to the vet where it's like 5~10 bucks (five because he's on their pet plan).
Also, you can have them run on the street for like a mile or so a week to grind them down naturally.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Goldens are sort of known for having extreme separation anxiety so I suspect it's a breed thing.
Just like they breed OCD into border collies

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am currently on vacation with my dog, a 70lb 2 year old male Goldendoodle.

This trip is his first time seeing snow! He seems to enjoy it and has given no indication of displeasure or discomfort when in the snow barefoot for about half an hour at a time, so far.

I am considering going cross country skiing on a trail where he could join. This would be several hours in the snow, roughly 3 miles.

What do I need to do in order to protect my dog's paws during this activity? Is barefoot ok? Paw wax? Booties?

What should I do or look for to make sure he's comfortable and healthy?

FYI the ambient temperature will be about 28-35 degrees Fahrenheit.

The biggest concern is salt, so you'll be fine on that front if you stay away from roads.
The second issue with doodles is that the snow gets stuck on their paws. So wax the pads and the furs around them. Or use like pam (but they might like the taste)
If your dog stops, looks at you and is holding a paw in the air, then it's probably too cold and wants to go home but a dog that size I wouldn't worry.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hello

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
gently caress cancer

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If it can be anything why not a dental chew or something?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Iwasted10bucks posted:

Say hi to Lumi!

He's a rescue and has been with us for 1.5 years now, and he's short one paw. He was very likely born that way, but no one knows for certain. Anyways, he's rocking a badass prostethic these days, and it's working great. He's not using it at home though to avoid chafing and skin irritation.

Any suggestions on long-term preventive care for a tripawd or experience with prolonged use of prostethic limbs? Running around on three legs obviously puts strain on the back and the remaining joints, and we want to make sure he stays healthy and pain free. We're taking him swimming regularly, and once he's old enough we'll probably get him massages too.
No advice, sorry but adorable pup

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Thread I'm kinda weirded out:
I found a bump (not very big, like the size of a mole) but it was under Briskets skin. I gave it a squeeze and it popped kinda like a zit? But it was all under the skin and nothing oozed out out anything.
Brisket seems fine and doesn't care. Any idea what that was?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Few days late, but want to say thanks for this; it definitely helped clear some things.

Emotional support dog is probably what we're going for. More specifically, the "provide emotional support for the handler only" part. It's fully intended to be a family dog, but specialized for my daughter's support. Although, the preventing self-harm aspects of the service dog would be beneficial as well. We have no intentions of bringing the dog everywhere, and that's definitely not something she'd want either. She doesn't like being in the spotlight, and bringing a dog to school, the store, on planes, whatever, would be out of her comfort zone for sure.

That being said, we rescued a big loaf this weekend.
We've been contacted for matches to our application multiple times from this particular rescue, but none have lasted all the way to the weekend, which was the only time we could go meet them given our work and kid school and sports schedules. Finally, this weekend, Stanley wasn't adopted right away, so we were able to finally meet him. He was shy at first, but then after walking him, he started warming up and was super great with everyone, toddlers included. All the kids wanted to bring him home immediatey, ha.

Meet Stanley:

He's a 75lb, 1-year old Black Lab/Catahoula mix. Super chill, pretty low energy, GREAT with my toddlers and older kids alike. Doesn't jump on people at all. Only jumps up for food occasionally. He's definitely stolen food off kid plates in the first couple days since the kids aren't used to not leaving food all over. His head can rest on our dinner table, which is another challenge. We've been trying to train him to lay down on a beanbag in the adjacent room while we eat. He's been super curious about his new surroundings and has been pretty good at differentiating his toys from the toddler toys.... for the most part. He's a huge cuddler, so when we're just chilling on the couch, he wants to put his head in your lap. His old home let him on the furniture, so we've given up on keeping him off and just enjoy our big cuddly oaf.

The only challenge so far has been keeping him from chewing on our fire wood, and generally trying to eat every single stick in our yard. We have a 45-foot blue oak in our backyard that shades most of it, and the slightest breeze sends 1000 leaves and branches falling down, so it's an impossible task to just keep the area completely clean of sticks. We do our best, but it's a massive chore to say the least. Could this be an indication of something? A phase? Or do dogs just like chewing on sticks? We have a couple nylabones, a Kong, and a couple other toys, but he typically chews those for 15 seconds and moves on. When I had my previous dog, he was also a chewer and LOVED the cut deer antlers you can buy online. On my first google to see if these were still available and kosher for dogs, it said that they can be harmful since it can splinter and stuff. Is that just a general "don't leave your dog alone for 4 hours with this and let him swallow chunks that he chews off" warning, or are they not ok anymore? Maybe I missed this before and was a big dummy though. With his love for chewing on sticks and firewood, I would guess that he'd love them.

We've got a (fenced in) pool and he will go onto the steps in the shallow end with no problem. He doesn't like anything floating in the pool, toys or people alike, so he definitely tries to 'retrieve' them by grabbing them or barking, which is pretty funny. He went in once and swam across the pool with no problems, so he's definitely a water dog, which is great.

The kids all had multiple rounds of voting for names, so we all had fun with that. He's been a total joy to have around so far. He's currently laying on my bed while I'm "at" work.

There's an adorable parable in here somewhere.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm imagining someone screaming at their dog that is currently making GBS threads on the kitchen floor, exasperated, red faced, hat wrenched and twisted in their hands:

"You can't do this to me! This. Is. ILLEGAL!"

I do this alll the time, lmao.
I constantly have to yell at Brisket for being too cute, and hurting all the other dogs feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Adrianics posted:

Cosmo gets a lot of attention whenever we go out

Deserves it, imo.