Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah I dunno about Oakland but Sacramento is bad bad bad for parvo; I know at least two dogs who had it as puppies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

TheRamblingSoul posted:

So, my roomie's puppy Luna really enjoys nibbling with my fingers for some reason. She does this pretty much every single time my hands are out and I'm playing with her. She goes straight for the hands.

Why? She's a Terrier/Chihuahua mix and less than a year old, so it may be combination of teething and playing from her Terrier side. I may be wrong and it may be a dominance issue or something, so I'm curious.

Because puppies are assholes. End the game when she hits skin and leave the room -- tether her while playing if you have to.

Oven mitts help too. Speaking of which Tater's being barky right now so it's oven time for him.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Baked Taters don't bark.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
As far as dog parks go and as the resident dog park nut, if you have one nearby you're considering taking the pup to go scope it out without him first to see how it's set up and what kind of dogs frequent, preferably around the same time you expect you'd be taking him since it probably has its share of regulars. Any park worth its salt will have separate areas for large and small dogs as well. Honestly with a Boston your dog will probably be the bully -- most Bostons I know are all rough-and-tumble and are crazy about dog wrasslin (along with crazy in general).

And of course no dog park until the parvo's done but you know that.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Weird. All the parks I know of here are sectioned, though of the five we've visited three were pretty crap with either too small an area, lovely dogs or no grass.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Long as the other dog is vaccinated and you're indoors (read: parvo-free area) she should be fine, and really getting her some socialization now is key.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Long as they're vaccinated then yeah, that's the ideal.

And don't forget the camera -- nothing in the world beats puppy play time :)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
When I last did the math Tater's first year was about $3,000. Over half of that however was from when he swallowed That Goddamned Duck, and there was probably $300 in other vet visits I should have taken care of myself in hindsight. Realistically you can count on a thousand for the first year with potential for lots of variation.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I go full-on retard with this sort of medication and use Trifexis, a pill which handles fleas ticks and heartworm. Not all dogs take to it -- vomiting is a fairly common side effect -- and neither of my vets carry it in stock anymore so I have to have them order it online for me. It's a good thirty bucks a month but with all the dog parkin' we do it's the one area where I absolutely cannot skimp. I havent found a flea on him the entire time he's been on it.

There's also Sentinel which does almost the same thing but only sterilizes the fleas rather than poisoning them outright. I found two fleas on Tater while he was on it so eeh.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
If he has a doggy door, he won't be able to use it with the cone. So (a) make sure he gets out to go potty as if you were potty training him, and (b) take pictures and laugh at him when he inevitably tries to fit through it anyway.

Also see if you can beat my record for how long you can leave a cone on him. I don't think I made it more than one night before taking it off Tater :(

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Not for indoor use -- the collected urine will stink the place up. Buuuut I have one out on the fenced-up concrete patio, and he has access to it at any time via the doggy door. For that it works like a charm.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Mulloy posted:

I'm redoing my backyard this spring/summer and as part of that I'd like to put a dog run in. I have a pretty oddly shaped yard in that it's approximately 140'x40'. I was thinking of setting aside a 10'x10' area in each corner with a 120'x4' run between them to give my two dogs room to run and places to relax. (Both corners would be under a tree.) They're both part Australian Shepherd, one is half husky the other half heeler. Would a 6' fence be sufficient to keep them from trying to escape?

On another note, I will be out of town for about a week, how do you find a reasonable pet hotel? Both of my dogs are pretty active and I'd hate to leave the at home with just someone stopping in to feed them, but I've never had to consider having them boarded somewhere.

Just curious, what do dogs get out of a 'dog run' that a more traditional play area doesn't satisfy? I only know of one or two dog runs (instead of dog parks or on-leash parks) and don't really know the concept.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Steve Yun posted:

Honey is 3 months old now. She never had any brothers or sisters to play fight with, so she just bites my fingers all the time.

Is this normal and should I let her gnaw and pounce on my fingers and toes for a few more months/until she gets her adult teeth?

Oven mitts own for this. Put on the mitts, beat the poo poo out of her until she gets her adult teeth. Then continue to beat the poo poo out of her cuz it's fun.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Ooooh okay, so kindof a gigantic outdoor crate then. That's cool; had it in my mind it was some sort of dog-parkish supervised activity. Thanks.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah, Tater had the place to himself for 9 hours a day by eight months or so and frankly he's better behaved when I'm gone than when I'm there. He just sleeps all day.

Obviously it varies quite a bit from dog to dog.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Your best bets are:

a) The OP,
b) Ian Dunbar's Before and After You Get Your Puppy, and
c) a camera.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Not calling anyone out or anything but this page has a lot of people talking about their new or soon-to-be-new puppies without accompanying pics :colbert:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
That dog's gonna be named Alexandra or something similarly retch-worthy.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
She's right. Dogfoodadvisor gets flak for falling for some buzzwords (I'm not sure which exactly), but it's the most legit site I know of when it comes to dog food. Tater is munching on some stuff they rate five stars right now after whetting his appetite on some mac and cheese I am a bad dog owner.

Dogs are omnivores, sure, but a diet of primarily some sort of meat is best.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

ThatPazuzu posted:

Buddy is friendly and playful with other dogs pass on our walks. Well, the nice ones at least. He's terrified of big, growly dogs and I had to carry him half a block because he refused to walk by a mean lab's fence. But, yeah, I think he'd enjoy more exposure to other dogs so I want to take him to a dog park. But, I've never been to a dog park before and I'm not 100% sure how they work or what's expected. Can someone give me a walk through please? I didn't see anything in the OP about it.

Dog parks vary radically depending on the mix of people and dogs who frequent them, and tend to be pretty cliquy because you get regulars who show up fairly often. I like to think the one we frequent is relatively chill and dogs can play or stand around at their leisure, but I've seen others that were pretty rough and won't be taking Tater there again. Obviously make sure the one you want to go to has a separate area for small dogs, and try to go at an off-peak time (mid afternoon or late evenings tend to be okay, but avoid 5pm-7:30 this time of day) so he won't be ganged up on at the entrance.

Jolanta Benal has a pretty good article on them here.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Honestly I don't think he'd get much out of a dog park even barring aggression issues. At least the one I frequent it's more of a social club for the 6mo-3yo dogs, and the ones over five years old or so just kindof hang around and don't do much. If he doesn't like dogs then there's really no reason to try to force it on him -- he's just not going to enjoy it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

It's a Boston. Replace all these captions with loving INSANE.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeaaah Tater likes to stall and sniff around plenty on our walks. I bring a few treats as a 'get moving' type of deal, but if we're on a long walk I just bring headphones and double the time I think it'll take. It's like the smells put them in a parallel dimension or something we can't even fathom.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I've had an easy walk harness on Tater backwards (back clip) since day one :shobon: But he's all of twenty pounds so what the gently caress is he gonna do.

We encountered a cat on this morning's walk, about fifteen feet away. Tater of course bolted to the end of his leash and had to stand there whining impotently for like five minutes while the cat stared him down, then laid down while we both laughed at him. Good job dog.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

.Z. posted:

Guessing you mean these things: http://www.amazon.com/Charming-Pet-Latex-Balloon-Large/dp/B003UOKGYI

Not sure if that'll work for him, but I'll take a look. Thanks for the input.

Think it was this one specifically: http://www.amazon.com/Charming-Products-DCA79934XS-Rubber-Balloon/dp/B005DGI8RI/ref=pd_sbs_petsupplies_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0346ASGCES5F4FK0EJAS

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
How big is she going to get?

e: Oh pit mix... yeah guess you'll have to redirect that poo poo.

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 12, 2014

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Hell I freefeed Tater just like you're totally not supposed to and he doesn't bother to eat more than about half what it says on the bag.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The goofy thing is that when he eventually does decide to eat his kibble he'll down his bowl in one sitting and then paws at the bowl (it's Correll and makes a loud ringing sound) until I dutifully fill it with another cup. Once refilled he takes a look to verify that yes, the bowl is again full, and walks away from it for another 24 hours.

I used to be more precise and measure with a food scale but he's pretty good about self regulating and of course gets plenty of rear end-kicking at the dog park. I weigh him at the groomer's once a month and he's been pretty much static for the past year.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Engineer Lenk posted:

50' leash. Once you start trusting him more you can let him drag it.

Careful with this though. Maybe I'm overestimating but a shepherd gaining 50' of momentum seems like it could easily dislocate a shoulder and/or elbow.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

rekamso posted:

I don't have the time or schedule for a puppy (the OP made that quite clear :) ), but I'm curious if adopting an adult dog is an option based on my lifestyle:

- Standard, but stable & predictable, 9-5 job (away from home)
- Home most evenings (the few I'm not, I'm still around for at least an hour after work and could certainly arrange for a dog walker in the rare cases where that's not possible)
- Large house on the edge of a city with a small fenced yard (I don't envision keeping a dog outside all the time)
- Single (no one else in the house)
- No other pets
- I've never owned a dog (just enjoyed friend's dogs)

Am I crazy to think it's reasonable to adopt a dog which has matured a year or two and already has some training?

Sheeeeit, I raised a puppy on less. He has a doggy door to the patio where the potty tray is though. Get you a dog.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

ruta posted:

Hello puppy thread! My family (or rather, my parents) have bought a border collie puppy. Her name is Lindy. Here's a picture.

My first thought: "Oh Christ get her away from those shoes :gonk: "

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
My bag of dog food came earlier this month and has an expiration date of May 2015. Tater goes through a cup a day and a 13 pound bag lasts 6 weeks so expect yours to go maybe three months. You'll be fine.

He may not go through a full cup a day, depending. Tater ways a good 8 pounds more than your dog so he might be getting overfed. Just keep an eye on it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
You're overthinking it. Go pet a hound.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Coldforge posted:

Does anyone have any advice for a 10 month old puppy? Things I should watch for at this particular stage?

Photo ops.

As for how big, he's probably about as big as he's gonna get .

It's best t tansition the dog food over a few days if you haven't thrown the old bag away yet but it's not the end of the world if you did.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

BaseballPCHiker posted:

There are still a couple of things that I worry about though. She likes to play rough. Like jump around, runs back and forth like crazy jumping around, and then like just tumbles around and wrestles with other dogs. I've never seen her bite down hard, she always backs away if she hears a yelp or a mean bark, but if she finds a willing dog they just play rough and kind of mouthy. Should I be concerned? It doesnt bother me to much as long as the other dog and owner is OK with it. I think it's just her default behavior is to go in and play like that and I'm afraid it could be dangerous with strange dogs she doesnt know. Also she tries to play like that with me. My hand will be in her mouth but she wont bite down at all. And she tries to jump up and tackle too. She will stop if I tell her too.

If the other dog is fine with it then nah, some dogs just like to play rough.

Tater for example is happiest when he's on his back at the dog park having his throat ripped out by his Boston terrier buddy. To outside observers it must look scary as hell, and honestly it unnerves me at times (especially when the Boston starts to shake) but they've been doing this damned near every day and Tater keeps going back for more so... okay dude have fun!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Behold, the death of Tater:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en9feqT6O4A
After which of course he gets zoomies and then runs back for more. Dude's just a glutton for punishment I guess : shrug:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Hobo Grandpa posted:

Really in any balcony scenario, do what I did, get one of those fake grass piss pads (that has a tray, so you're not leaking piss). My 11 week lab pup is pretty much house broken now with one of those on the balcony. The things are expensive as hell, shoulda just made my own in retrospect, but it's worth it to not do 4 stories every couple of hours with the pup.

Yup, welcome to my life. Potty tray on the patio of my (first floor) apartment, doggy door so he can use it when I'm at work. Does the truck just fine, tho it probably wouldn't if Tater were a digger.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Can answer some, but not all of them I think, at least based on my experience with Tater and from what I've learned here.

cyberia posted:

- Related to crating, the breeder said a playpen is a great way to keep the dog safe when we are out of the house. Would it be better to get a wire playpan or a nylon one? The wire one would be good because we could set it up in the backyard if we wanted to spend some time outside without the dog running all over the garden but the nylon one would be better on the (wooden) loungeroom floor so I'm not sure which way to go at this stage
Honestly you're probably better off getting both -- I doubt you're going to want to haul it in and out all the time, and for indoors you may want to look into a baby gate as well.

quote:

- The breeder feeds all her dogs Royal Canin food and said she'd give us a small bag to take home when we pick up the puppy. Is it better to keep feeding the puppy what they're used to or to upgrade to a premium food from the list in the OP?
I switched up Tater's as soon as I got him with no ill effects and would recommend the same. I think the extra expense of a Real Good Brand is somewhat balanced out because the extra nutrients mean you'll have to feed him less. Tater (a 20-pound mutt) gets by on less than a cup a day and can make a 13-pound bag last a good six weeks.

quote:

- Finally, the breeder suggested that we wait until the dog is at least six months old before getting it desexed. The local RSPCA advocates early-age desexing and I have always been taught that you should get your dog desexed as early as is practical. The puppy will be male and will not have unsupervised visits with any lady dogs so the risk of accidental breeding is low (but there's always some risk, isn't there?) so what is the best time to desex? Are there health benefits / concerns that we should be aware of?

There's a shitload of :byodood: on the internet about when to chop 'em but the more legitimate stuff I've read says there really isn't a medical consequence to neutering early, and I'd go with the vet's recommendation when you get your pup and bring him in for his first checkup and round of shots. For Tater that was six months but I've heard some vets recommend four.

And speaking of :byodood: he swallowed a black (empty) poop bag tonight so I get to be all worrywart for the next couple days. Little bastard.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Bananalogue posted:

There's a shitload of :byodood: on the internet about when to chop 'em

See what I mean :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Tater gets hot spots often (and is nursing a pretty bad one now). I take him to my groomer to have the affected area shaved and have some spray from my vet (Vetericyn, basically bactine for dogs). I'll also give him benadryl to help staunch the itching, but it doesn't knock him out the way I'd like.

Hot spots are the worst.