Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

No one seemed to cover this, but does anyone have a guide for wanting to adopt a kitten AND a puppy together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

MrFurious posted:

At the same time? I think the guide is really short. It reads: "Don't."

I have little to no experience with cats, but taking two young animals on at the same time seems like self-masochism. I personally wouldn't even consider two puppies, let alone a puppy and a kitten.

What about two older shelter animals?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Engineer Lenk posted:

You'll see bonded pairs every so often, but they're usually two cats or two dogs. If you call around to rescues, you might find a dog + cat that were given up together, or have been fostered together and get along OK.

Getting two animals who don't know each other already seems like it'd be way more stress than it's worth. Even staggering by a month or two would help, because you'd have time to bond and establish a routine with the first animal.

Any rule of thumb, as to order that causes the least stress, dog than cat, or vice versa?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I just adopted a cutie of an older dog (6.5 years), to join the 2 cat party already in my house. She's already house-trained, are there any reasons to crate train as well?

And if so, any tips for an older dog?

Picture tax:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's been 24 hours since I brought Aida Know home,and she has no interest in her kibble but plenty of interest in cat treats or any other not kibble food item.
Is this just a battle of wills/wait it out when she's hungry enough she'll eat the kibble or is this go and buy a different bag of kibble and hope she likes that one better?

FWIW: I'm in some sort of bizarro land with my pets, one of the cats LOVES the dog kibble and the dog is all about cat kibble.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

toplitzin posted:

It's been 24 hours since I brought Aida Know home,and she has no interest in her kibble but plenty of interest in cat treats or any other not kibble food item.
Is this just a battle of wills/wait it out when she's hungry enough she'll eat the kibble or is this go and buy a different bag of kibble and hope she likes that one better?

FWIW: I'm in some sort of bizarro land with my pets, one of the cats LOVES the dog kibble and the dog is all about cat kibble.

Still no interest in her breakfast this morning, I guess I'll try picking up a bag of something else on the way home from work.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

She was at the shelter and it's science diet which is what they feed there. They include a free bag with every adoption.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Fraction posted:

She might just be too excited/over stimulated/stressed (good and/or bad stress) to eat boring food. How old is she?

According to the shelter paperwork 6.
She's drinking here and there as well, usually after a walk.
She's got a vet appt tomorrow afternoon (Free with adoption too!).

So far she's very keen on walks and belly rubs, and trying to roll in smelly things.

Edit: I'll be picking up Merrick Classic Chicken:
http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B0089A62MS?tag=e0495-20

She's found herself a place on the couches and this has been happening a lot:

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 29, 2015

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Fraction posted:

Get one, wait a few months for it to settle in, then get another. Getting two at once means MORE than double the amount of stress, both with the dogs and with yourselves, as you'd have to (carefully) introduce two adult dogs in an entirely new environment with new people. Unless they're a bonded pair, I'm surprised a rescue would let you do it tbh.

6 is fine to go a few days without food. Just put the Science Diet down at each meal time and take it up if she doesn't eat it. No point unsettling her stomach further by immediately changing her onto new food.

Will do. They only gave me a 5 Lb bag, so I assume if she eats, I'd burn through the bag in a day or two. I'll start mixing them slowly once she starts eating.

I've been offering it twice a day and if she spurns it/ignores it i just put it away since the cat will go gorge herself on it and then the dog gets territorial over food she doesn't have interest in.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Instant Jellyfish posted:

For what its worth my dog wouldn't eat the rescue's garbage food at all when I brought him home so I just switched him to what I was going to be feeding him right away. He's got an iron stomach so it wasn't a big deal but your mileage may vary. Just don't let them get used to getting fancy add ins or treats when they're being picky.

I picked up a bag of better food on the way home. She ate a handful from my hand (which is more than she'd do with the SD) but still seems to give no fucks about food.
She's excited when i get the bag and scoop it out, but no interest in actually, you know, eating her food. :ohdear:
I'm feeding her in my bedroom where i can close the door to prevent the cats from beelining to her food dish instead, but she still just wanders around or just sticks her face in mine and stands there.
I'll leave the bowl out for another 15 or so since i just fed the cats, then i'll put it away til the morning feed.
The cat however is trying to find the food as best she can.

By the same token she hasn't really pooped or peed much on our walks (nor in the house), but it seems like she's limited intake.

I'll bring it up at the vet tomorrow as well.

Anything else or am i just being a worrywort?

Fun fact: She likes to howl along with the fire truck sirens.

Tax: Bathime today!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2sphcLdsW8

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

toplitzin posted:

I'll bring it up at the vet tomorrow as well.

Anything else or am i just being a worrywort?

Tax: Bathime today!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2sphcLdsW8

Hunger Update: Still not hungry. Vet appt @ 4.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

ButWhatIf posted:

If she's taking it from your hand, make use of that and go ahead and handfeed for a bit while she settles in. It'll strengthen the bond between you, help her see that you are the bearer of All Good Things, and gets her accustomed to the idea that you're going to dispense food for things (which will be handy when you want to train). If she's relaxed enough, you can use meal time to start practicing some things like wait or settle, which will help build comfort and impulse control.

The hand feeding worked for about 3 bites. Then she's like ehhhhhhhhh, no thanks.

Even at the vet she was only interested in treats. The vet gave her one piece of dental kibble, since she had some plaque, she ate it, then refused the second because it was "not treat" and looked for the treat bag where the other treats came from, along with the cheeze-in-a-can used to get her to take the worming pill.

The Vet said just keep offering and eventually she'll get hungry and realize yup, that's food and its possible the previous owners were scrap/table/treat feeders.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Mathematics posted:

Have you gotten her a good quality food yet, toplitzin?

My dog was like that when she got home. She wouldn't eat anything and wasn't much interested in treats. But once I got her a slightly better dog food that actually smells like meat, she started eating.

She still doesn't love food like most dogs do but the vet said that's a variation of normal as long as they eat enough in a day.

Edit: Oops, I see you did.

If you really struggle then wet food always worked for her but that gets expensive as hell so you want to be sure before getting her addicted to it. I'm sure she'll start eating soon.

Yeah.

She spurned the shelter Science Diet.
She spurned the Merrick Chicken/barley I got.
She spurned the Royal Canin Dental @ the vet.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Max posted:

My dog went on a rather annoying hunger strike last year, where he just flat out refused to eat anything from his bowl or wobbler, and just wanted attention. It took a little longer, but I just ended up doing training sessions with him and used his kibble as the treats. He eventually started eating from the bowl.

I'm betting most of this is on her still being stressed. She was dropped at the humane society, then adopted, then dropped off again after 72 hours, then adopted by me. I think she's just getting used to "oh he's coming home and not leaving me forever."

Edit: The vet was "she's eating treats so its not medical, once she calms down she'll find her appetite." And i guess dogs won't go all fatty liver like a cat.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 1, 2015

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Xtanstic posted:

Yeah mix the kibble with some broth. Mind you don't get him too used to only eating his kibble this way.

This resulted in lapping broth momentarily followed by carefully setting aside any pieces of kibble because they "weren't broth and somehow got in my mouth" followed by "gently caress you this is just brothy kibble."

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Just how long can this battle of wills last?

I mean she's happy and drinking and peeing and loving to go for walks, just still not eating/pooping.

When should i make a second vet appt?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Fraction posted:

How long have you had her now?

A week as of tonight, Vet apt was on Thursday.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Fraction posted:

If her energy level is normal, give it a few more days imo.

And make sure she isn't getting food from anywhere else - stealing cat food, getting treats, etc.

Treats are in a cabinet and she shows 0 interest in them when offered. I'm tempted to pick up a bag of cheap treats to see if i can get her to eat those and maybe get the human = food source link going better.

I feed the cats their food inside their travel carriers, and its much smaller than the dog even if she were to stand them up and try to force her head in.

I did notice she started trash digging yesterday, but it was in the bathroom can which only had qtips, empty TP rolls, and some nose tissues.

I've moved the kitchen garbage to be out of the way/difficult for her to get her head into. Currently it also has no food waste in it.

Energy levels seem pretty normal for what I've seen since getting her. Sniffs around, naps on the couch, moves to look out window, naps on other couch. bounces everywhere when its time for a walk, curls up into bed with me and sleeps.

I'm also going to call the humane society and see if they had any feeding notes about her as well.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

She ate 2oz tonight, which is better than zero i guess. :confuoot: but she sure didn't seem to enjoy doing it. very slowly and deliberately she chewed some then jumped on my bed and lay down.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

This dog is still all about the not eating.

She ate 2oz Monday, and like 5 bites last night.

I guess this is progress.

Should I start trying training with treats(people food/pepperoni) to get her to associate food from me is a good thing? Or should I keep to my no treats til you eat your own food regularly line?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Fraction posted:

She should be getting pretty drat famished right now. I wouldn't start training, but start offering her food multiple times a day mixed in with chicken or rice or vegetables or tuna or something more exciting would be good. It's been nearly two weeks and all she's eaten is a handful or so?

Almost 10 days. I adopted her Monday of last week.

To date she has eaten the following:
Handful of treats @ vet on Thursday.
2oz of kibble Monday night.
a few bites of kibble last night.

I offer her food twice daily, once AM while I'm in the shower and once in the evening when I feed the cats their second feeding.

I'm using a measuring cup to scoop the food and putting it back into the cup afterwards to see how much if any she is eating.

Other things she may be eating is cat poop during the time I'm at work before I come home and scoop the litterbox.

Garbage is inaccessible/not being gotten into.

I called the humane society, they don't have a food log or anything like that indicating her eating habits/issues.

Things I have tried:
Royal Canin Dental Kibble.
Science Diet like fed at shelter.
Merrick Chicken kibble.
above kibbles with chicken stock poured on top. (this resulted in lapping broth and spitting out any kibble that came along with the broth until it became clear to her she was eating broth soaked kibble at which point she lost interest.)
She also had no interest in the Merrick brand grain free treats i got.

edit: the food is in a plain glass bowl on the floor, or bowl held in my hand, or hell I've tried kibble in my hand with the same result of *sniff sniff* - ignore.

I'm not putting in the crate or anything as she's also showing no interest in the crate and I'm not going to shove her into it. (her paperwork mentioned she is/was crate trained but I haven't seen any behavior indicating familiarity with it)

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 6, 2015

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Royal Jeans posted:

When you took her to the vet did they do fecal/blood work & examine her teeth/mouth?

It's a long shot but I suppose it's possible she's uncomfortable eating around others - have you tried placing her alone with food for an extended period of time?

There was no feces to examine since she hadn't been eating.
Mild plaque on the teeth, but nothing too bad. (I bought a toothbrush and working on introducing her to weekly brushing)

I've been feeding her in my bedroom with either only myself in there (usually evenings to see if she'll eat) or all alone in the AM while I shower. (usually 20-40 minutes) She'll just be chilling on my bed or sitting on the floor when i go in and check/pick up the food before i leave for work.

I've been feeding her in a separate room from the get go because the cats really wanted her food and there was some growling when they tried to inspect her bowl.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I accidentally dropped a fry. It vanished.
I think someone is trying to play me.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Instant Jellyfish posted:

I might try canned food if you've tried a bunch of different kibbles and she won't touch them. Maybe she has an ouchie mouth even if her teeth looked alright.

A trick I've seen work on dogs who are just fussy (and I'm not sure she's just being fussy) is that dog gets a measured amount of food and 5 minutes to eat it. If it's finished they get a really great treat in their bowl and if it's not the food gets picked up and they get half as much next time. If they finish that amount next time they get an amazing treat in their bowl and you can try increasing the amount of food following time, and if not it goes down by half again. Eventually you might get down to them only getting a few kibbles but if they finish those kibbles they get a super rad treat and you can start adding more food.

I also caught her front paws on the counter trying to lick a spoon i hadn't put in the sink, so i know she's hungry/looking for food. I'll measure and leave out the kibble all night since she is in the bedroom closed with me and report back in the morning. (i've been offering approx 8-10oz 3x a day)

I'll pick up a can of food on the way home, but I really don't want to go down that path if it can be helped, as it gets stupid expensive fast.
I've had a previous dog the we ended up making macro-fresh for (turkey breast, brown rice, frozen peas/carrots, etc) after we switched her to canned, and it was a royal pain.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 7, 2015

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So i called the vet and they suggested mixing in some wet food to see if she'll eat.
Long term, with a dog who already has plaque isn't wet food going to suck for clean mouth?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Fraction posted:

If it comes to it, you could just brush her teeth 1x daily.

I did buy a toothbrush and dogpaste when they gave me the estimate to put her under for a cleaning. ($6-700)

So that's there, i'd just rather her eat something first.

When it comes to wet food, does the cat rule apply? IE: any wet food is better than kibble, even if some wet foods are better than others.

I'm also picking up a scoop or two of Iams from a buddy to see if its still just brand hate.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Fraction posted:

AFAIK wet food is pretty Meh for dogs. Tends to be pretty lovely protein-wise, unless you go for better/expensive brands.

Cool.

What I don't get about this whole thing is how this dog is still so energetic for 10 days without eating anything significant.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My dog will only eat if he can see us the whole time. We think he's afraid that he'll never get fed again if he eats food while no one is there. You might try hanging out right next to the bowl and offering encouragement.

Tried feeding her alone, sitting in room ignoring dog (reading a book), sitting in room praising dog whenever she got near the bowl, and hand feeding bites of kibble at a time. She sniffs the food once then actively ignores it as best she can. Hell, I even tried to pretend eating it then offering it to her.

Engineer Lenk posted:

If it's a texture thing, you can try adding some liquid (water or broth) to the kibble and popping it in the microwave until it's warm and mushy. If she'll eat that, then you can mix in a bit of non-softened kibble and try to wean her back onto plain food.

Tried this with both beef and chicken stock. She tried to drink out the stock, and would literally spit out any pieces of kibble she accidentally lapped up. Once the stock wasn't easily drinkable she ignored it.

da anime bulldog posted:

Maybe your dog has bipolar disorder

Maybe???

Am I a bad person for considering returning her to the human society if this keeps up?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Rurutia posted:

Honestly, Pickles was like that for a few months when we got her. She still only eats a quarter cup a day, but immediately now. We just monitored her weight and had the vet ok her every few weeks. Some dogs are just queens.

She's got a follow up vet appt in two weeks for her vaccine booster. she was 44 lbs last week. We shall see what she weighs then.

Her saving grace so far is that she's house trained, that and she likes to cuddle in bed.

edit: so when do i stop trying all the different things and just "wait out the toddler" IE: buying all the foods and just sticking to the same stuff offered day in day out.
I've gotten other suggestions of mixing in table scraps into kibble, but i'm concerned that will further reinforce her desire to wait for people food.

I will be trying a scoop of canned food with the kibble tonight though, but i can't keep up with trying every single food/brand out there.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 7, 2015

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Wet food plus kibble = all eaten. So now the trick is to reduce the amount of wet food until she's just eating the kibble.

I picked up three packages of wellness small dog food. (3oz each).

I dumped one on the cup of kibble in her bowl. She ate almost all of it.

I'll try a spoonful of wet tomorrow morning and report back.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Crosspost to the cat thread as well:

I have a slightly picky eater (loving understatement) of a dog who won't eat her food during a feeding time unless its been moistened.
My friend took her for a few days while i was out of town and reported she will eat all of it completely dry at her own drat slow pace if free fed.

The cats are fed in their carriers and the dog can't/isn't interested in getting it.
However, I have two cats who are deeply interested in her kibble, making it hard to tell who ate what if i were to leave it out for a free feed.

Both pets are getting merrick's bistro stuff basically.

How do I feed all three pets without a bunch of cross eating/time investment?

Options i've thought about are as follows:

Continue the sequestered twice daily dog feeding
Pros: She eats most of her food in a window. Poops should also follow this schedule (if lucky)
Cons: I have to set aside time specifically for the dog to eat. I have to buy canned food as well.

Leave the dog with kibble in her crate while i'm at work
Pros: Once crate is closed, cats can't get her food.
Cons: Possible poops in crate.

Just leave it out and everybody free feeds
Pros: Easy
Cons: Cats like her food and the cats have the ability to make the dog gently caress off (one hisses and the dog will give her large berth) making food stealing easy. Possible random poops.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

She ate her one cup of kibble last night dry, today she's lying on the floor ignoring it.

Oh dog. You have twelve more minutes to care.

Is there any reason besides maybe vomiting if she scarfs it to not feed her once a day like when I get home from work?

Advantage: She's actually hungry and may eat all her food. I can take her on a long walk/dog park after without the oh gently caress I'm going to be late of before work. Likely afternoon poops.

Disadvantage: I'd be a jerk?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Picky eater update: She only likes to eat late at night. Never earlier than 9:30.
But she will eat everything in her bowl, and without having to put wet food on top. She will then climb into bed and go to sleep.

Still only poops at the dog park though. So weird. I've walked her for 45 minutes before and won't get a poop. Take her to the dog park and boom, she's copped a squat within 5 minutes.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Aida why won't you let me sleep! ! !

She was sleeping in bed with me and would wake me up a couple times week at like three am with something random to bark at.

In response I switched her to sleeping in her crate after loving and cuddles and she would sleep quietly all night. Until last night. Three am, whine bark repeat.

I went to let her out for a walk and her response was drink water then get back into my bed.

I make sure she gets a nice walk before bed/dinner a well, but this is getting annoying.

Why won't you let me sleep dog?!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Cheesus posted:

I'm afraid to inject a little E/N here, but I'm nearing my wits end.

For two weeks, my wife and I agreed to watch my mother-in-law's dog, a six year old Chinese-crested powder puff mix. He's cute and fun, but has moderate to severe separation anxiety. Since I work for home and my wife is pregnant, I'm 90% of his temporary caregiver and he's a "Velcro dog". I'm used to dogs wanting to be nearby their primary, but not like this. I can't do anything without him following me (I can't even shower without him pawing and whining at the door the entire time). On it's own, I'd say this issue is mild to occasionally strong irritant.

Despite his age he's not very housebroken (or has issues around it). I give him a good sixty minute walk once a day and bring him outside every couple of hours during the day to do his business for 5-15 minutes at a time. Yet he still goes inside, sometimes within minutes of coming in after a bathroom break! My frustration was compounded earlier in the week when I have to leave for an errand went through the stages of planning and giving ourselves enough time to give him a healthy bathroom break, only to return thirty minutes to find that he's gone in the house. This second issue is really, really bothering me (and I'm frustrated that he didn't demonstrate this behavior when we watched him last year).

Combined, these issues have really soured me on the dog and I'm building an unhealthy resentment.

I'm not under any illusions of changing his behavior within the next five days. Are there any tips or suggestions on how I can keep a better headspace about the situation for the coming week?

Thanks.

Would he go on pee pads if left the option, he'd still go inside, but at least you'd just pick it up and throw it out.

My parents have given up on re-house training their dog after my grandfather passed. (he was home all day so dog got to go out whenever. With him gone he's having to hold it for a 8 hour workday and they gave up crate training him too, so its a mess party more often than not. doubly so if they don't leave out a pad)

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Or maybe an "Aida".

Btw how's tanky?

I dunno man.

P. sure this is an Aida.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Rahtas posted:

I've been busy lately, but I wanted to say thank you for the advice. It worked well and there hasn't been an accident since. Thank you!

Any advice how I can transition him going in the yard? The walks are good for everyone involved, but it would be nice to have the option.

I would think to take him out to the yard, praise/treat on going to the bathroom. When going for walks don't praise as strongly (or no treat but praise) so that walks are for fun and if he has to pee great, and yard is for potty?
But i'm just a dude with a 6 year old adopted dog that is house trained but who only poops in a dog park and doesn't listen so... :shrug:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

BigPaddy posted:

lovely owners at the dog park get on my goat as well. Especially when their dog is causing problems but they scream at the other owners because how dare my horrid monster bark at their precious. This of course immediately identifies why their dog doesn't know how to behave with other dogs since they were never socialised and are shut in at home more of the time being fed from the table and treated like a person. An example of this was a woman who was bitching out a friend of mine because his dog was being "aggressive". Her dog? A Boxer that was running around snapping and humping everything. His dog? A boston terrier... :iiam:

This poo poo pisses me off to no end. I was at the park the other day and some gently caress feels its MY responsibility to make sure his dog is ok.

"My dog has a temper, your dog needs to be ok with that."

gently caress you, no. Take your dog someplace else and socialize it properly before just releasing it in a field of other animals.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

we have been sitting outside the dog park for around 15 minutes for 4 nights in a row and yesterday the puppy got up to greet a little bichon frise who showed interest in him :)

maybe we can actually go in some day, hah!

See i like you.
The last time I went to a dog park here in KS some douche nozzle was all "My dog has a temper. Your dog need to be ok with that to bring him here."

Still not sure why id didn't tell him to gently caress off and keep his aggressive dog at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

At our dog park people call the rangers on people like that. I've seen at least ten lovely owners get their tags revoked on the spot. My city seems pretty concerned with making sure dog parks are fun and safe.

Our city fenced in some random fields with no shade, split it into three rotations of fallow, small dog (under 30), and large dog (over) and put up a sign that says "dog park."

No licensing/tags required. :(