Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Tim Whatley posted:

Warning for seizure talk and some scary stuff

Does anybody hear see results with the medication Keppra for seizures? My dog is 4.5 and has had a seizure periodically once every few months for about 2 years so the vet said hold off because they're not frequent. They weren't that bad and he snapped out of it. Tonight he had a grand mal (never has) with several clusters and I had to throw him in my car while my fiance watched him in the backseat as we sped to the animal hospital. They gave him Valium from the backseat and stretchered him in. He got put on additional fluids as well. He's being held for 24 hours so obviously we're a mess right now but we're being recommended Keppra over phenobarbital.

I started with Keppra for my border collie because I was concerned about long-term effects of phenobarbital on the liver, and wanted to keep her reaction time sharp since I ran agility with her. My dog presented at about age 3 with two grand mals about a month apart. I wish I had chosen pb to start; she was still having one grand mals seizure a month on Keppra (then Keppra + zonisimide) and then it progressed to a cluster every month. Pb gave us a three month respite from the seizures and greatly decreased the duration of the grand mals when they came back (another three months before another cluster). Keppra XR is also really expensive and the dose timing is important (short half-life, so XR let me do 2x day dosing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Any recommendations for a GPS collar?

My guy doesn't really run away, but he does forget about me if there are other dogs about, and since we're about to take a beach trip I wouldn't mind the extra piece of mind.

I just bought a Tractive, it seems pretty accurate and has activity tracking.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I like to use upbeat chatter, make distance, and keep moving to manage medium-reactive dogs.

So cross the road, talk to the dog, and keep them moving. If they are more ‘lose their mind’ reactive I will turn around and walk the other way, since a dog/person overtaking (separated by lateral distance) walking in the same direction is less worrisome for most dogs than head-on. They’ll also key off your body language, and will react more when you tense up or appear worried about the situation (which often leads to inadvertent worsening of the issue).

If you were sticking around for longer, I’d recommend finding a high value treat and playing ‘Look at that’ where you reward the dog for looking at something. If you start playing it from far enough away, they’ll learn to look at the scary thing then immediately turn back to you for a reward, and then their reactivity space bubble will start to shrink.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 2, 2023

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Apparently new Kong smell is up there with eau de decomp, the dog decided that it absolutely merited the full cheek-to-shoulder rub.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Look at That would be the best option I can think of to desensitize to the cats. You just have to make sure your treats are good enough and your distance far enough that the dog will turn back to you and eat it. You don’t have to wait for quiet, it’ll just fade as they figure out the game.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
If it is a texture thing and his teeth are bugging him, soaking kibble in water will help.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

fyallm posted:

Still dealing with my dog and food issues. Vet prescribed her hydrolyzed food, and itnwas chicken based, i told her when she eats anything chicken flavored she has massove diarrhea..

This is chicken and she told me it wouldn't cause anything like that herebl we are less than 49 hours with massove squirts and diarrhea

There’s a vegetarian HA mix too, iirc, but it’s not as appetizing so it may or may not work for you.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

i own every Bionicle posted:

Would it be a good idea to deny the crate for a little while so he can make progress in the the house?

Nah. 3 days/3 weeks/3 months are the milestones and you’re just barely past the 3 day mark. It took my dog about a month to start venturing away from the couch for any significant span of time, two months to come in my office (I WFH), and now (6 months in) she’s basically attached to my hip or on my bed the vast majority of the time.

E: she’s also maybe some kind of primitive or pariah dog mix, looks like a slightly smaller black Carolina dog with a broken ear. I didn’t see the curved tail carriage for the first month either.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 11, 2023

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I’m generally of the opinion that if a dog is too agitated to take treats it’s probably a better use of my time to get a book and just hang out near them. You’ll be less scary when you’re focused on something else and not making eye contact or putting out all the ‘look at me’ signals, and they’ll get a chance to venture at their own pace.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

i own every Bionicle posted:

Thanks for the advice everybody. I will let him find his own way out.

Just one thing: I keep coming back to when he wouldn’t come out for potty breaks until I dragged him out and he immediately went in spectacular fashion as soon as he was outside.

How did you get your timid dogs out for this?

Also OMG @ Coco’s enormous tail

Unless they’re aggressive towards you, physically moving them so they will go outside is the exception to letting them adapt in their own time, if you don’t have a fenced yard and good enough weather to just put the open crate next to the open door and wait them out. They’ll pick up on you moving them for their own comfort and it shouldn’t set things back too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Instant Jellyfish posted:

There are crash tested harnesses but my dog always rides in a crate for safety. There are crash tested crates but they’re $$$$ so I use a ruffland, which hasn’t been fully crash tested but I’ve seen enough of them come out of terrible accidents intact that I feel like they’re a good option for my budget. Most dog sport folks I know travel with rufflands. Just avoid the wire or clam shell style crates if you’re specifically looking for crash safety.

The double variocage is quite expensive but it is a nice setup with 2 dogs.