Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midwat
May 6, 2007

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Christ, Gregg Easterbrook is awful.

"If Tebow becomes successful" is a slightly more ridiculous hypothetical than "if the moon were made of delicious gumballs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwat
May 6, 2007

Keith Olbermann politely tells Pete Prisco to go gently caress himself: http://deadspin.com/keith-olbermann-annihilates-prisco-column-1231842169

midwat
May 6, 2007

Benne posted:

Pete Prisco is a loving clown and an embarrassment to the sportswriter community, even by sportswriter standards. Why CBS is still writing him checks is a mystery to me.

I think they're still writing him checks because columnist jobs are (inexplicably) for life, barring extreme embarrassment for the given media outlet.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Rap posted:

The worst part of the King response is that he treats legal requirements as just vague suggestions. "I'm simply asking whether it's more practical to follow or to violate federal law."

Must be a side effect of all that time he spent with Goodell.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wonder if he figures he is so far deep into shithead territory its pointless to turn back now

This implies a level of self-awareness I don't think Rick's capable of.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Someone should do a breakdown of what Reilly makes per bad joke.

midwat
May 6, 2007

DangerKat posted:

I saw this on ESPN and then blacked out so consider this a trigger warning for everyone

What if Peyton Manning were a Dracula?

midwat
May 6, 2007

Peter King's email was hacked. The email's recipients knew wasn't him because it got to the point in fewer than 40,000 words.

midwat
May 6, 2007

haljordan posted:

Jesus, do "reporters" have ANY shame whatsoever anymore? I don't know who Sally Jenkins is, but I'd like to meet the Washington Post editor she hosed in order to get a column. Great hit piece on RGIII, whom she calls a "boy emperor". Then there's this gem, which she buries down near the bottom third of the article:

Yeah not every story is true but let me go ahead and reference them all unquestioningly. Also apparently RGIII is the #1 roadblock for a coach wanting to go to Washington.

edit: Apparently this woman was Lance Armstrong's biggest defender and supporter too (she collaborated on a book with him) :lol: Obviously a fantastic judge of character.

Does Shanahan really think he looks better by leaking this? I mean, don't owners consider "planting hit pieces in the press" to be a more grievous sin than "kinda sucking at your job"?

midwat
May 6, 2007

haljordan posted:

edit: Apparently this woman was one of Lance Armstrong's biggest defender and supporter too (she collaborated on a book with him) :lol: Obviously a fantastic judge of character.

She also did the JoePa interview where he never heard of rape and a man.

midwat
May 6, 2007

As someone who hates Florio, I find this delicious.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Rap posted:

Ah good, Mike Florio doesn't know what "on the record" means and also his report was all anonymous sources too. cool. cool

I think he's trying to retake the "Why am I still employed?" crown from Rick Reilly.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Ozu posted:

Peter King's storytime did not go as well as he hoped.

@SI_PeterKing
Apropos Of Nothing Dept.:
In June, I was at a Starbucks in downtown Pgh. Andrew McCutchen was in front of me in line. He ordered drink, >>>>

@SI_PeterKing
... And barista said to him:
"Name for the cup?"
McCutchen said politely:
"Andrew."

@SI_PeterKing
You guys win.
You all win.
Be happy.

@SI_PeterKing
Congratations.

Stars: they have first names, just like us!

midwat
May 6, 2007

@SI_PeterKing
Apropos Of Nothing Dept.:
In June, I was at a Starbucks in downtown Pgh. Andrew McCutchen was in front of me in line. He ordered drink, >>>>

@SI_PeterKing
... And barista said to him:
"Name for the cup?"
McCutchen bellowed:

@SI_PeterKing
"HIS MAJESTY ANDREW STEFAN MCCUTCHEN, FIRST OF HIS NAME, NATIONAL LEAGUE MOST VALUABLE PLAYER, EMPEROR OF INDIA AND THE OCEAN SEA."

@SI_PeterKing
Barista: "That won't fit on the cup." Weird, huh?

midwat
May 6, 2007

BobbyK posted:

Everytime Mike Florio writes a headline that says something along the lines of "Cam Newton is injured (unless he isn't)" I want to punch him right in his mouth.

Shame on you if there are times you don't want to punch Florio in the mouth.

midwat
May 6, 2007

The Football Funhouse › Writing & reporting in today's NFL: gently caress sports media forever basically

midwat
May 6, 2007

"Belichick should have gone on one of our fine NBC talk shows, where we undoubtedly would've gotten the full story."

midwat
May 6, 2007

WugLyfe posted:

So, here's an important thing that should be talked about : AP bots to assume some sports journalism duties.

I'm picturing a John-Henry-esque competition between Skip Bayless and the bots for the hottest takes.

midwat
May 6, 2007

*beep* "Touchdown celebrations? Will not someone think of the younger, smaller, weaker humans?" *beep boop*

midwat
May 6, 2007

go3 posted:

where do you think Boston sends all the people it can't ship out of state

MCI Walpole

midwat
May 6, 2007

Not that she wasn't being lovely, but I don't think this is worthy of suspension. Her being a (non-criminal) lousy person should probably be beyond her employer's purview.

midwat fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 17, 2015

midwat
May 6, 2007

Someone was mean? To a towing employee? Oh my stars! *clutches pearls, faints dead away*

midwat
May 6, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Can a Boston sports media homer be such a douche about Boston sports that even Boston sports homers pretty much all hate him?

Yes, it's that guy. He's like a failed Skip Bayless prototype with a chowder - based circulatory system.

I don't think Shaughnessy is a homer (if I recall, he's quite often a dick to local athletes/teams), I just think he's an rear end in a top hat.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Could not find a clearer example of celebrity being the enemy of good writing.

If Peter King weren't Peter King, Senior NFL Reporter, someone along the way would have asked "Who the gently caress is interested in this bulllshit?"

midwat
May 6, 2007

I'd be in favor of Simmons starting his own thing where he could lob bombs and swear whenever he wanted.

midwat
May 6, 2007

v2vian man posted:

welp adam schefter posted jason pierre paul's medical records on the internet

I know Shefter is just a robot built to report NFL news, but couldn't they have snuck a "maybe not?" into his programming?

midwat
May 6, 2007

Burger Trench posted:

I mean, if he transcribed it from the image word-for-word, we wouldn't be talking about this. NFL reporters report on injuries all the time.

It just seems that obtaining a confidential report (and possibly getting someone to break the law while doing so) should be reserved for more serious matters than "a player's injury status in July. "

midwat
May 6, 2007

Burger Trench posted:

Yeah, it was kind of jarring to see, I admit. But substantively, it doesn't compromise his journalistic integrity more than any other injury update he posts. Of course, his source is probably easier to find and more hosed than usual.

It could gently caress his source, and it could gently caress people who aren't his source (maybe the wrong person gets blamed).

I don't see the picture accomplishing anything a paraphrase wouldn't have. It seems to be just a dangerous way to break nonessential news.

midwat
May 6, 2007

I'm sick of all these dubstep loser wide receivers, dropping the ball like it was the bass

midwat
May 6, 2007

Kalli posted:

Luckily I doubt anyone is reading him anyway, but an ESPN fantasy writer managed to mention Draft Kings 29 times in an article: http://deadspin.com/espns-matthew-berry-sells-credibility-to-draftkings-1731566734

Also he's a paid Draft Kings spokesman.

DRAFT KINGS

It's almost embarrassing how quickly the entire sports establishment sold itself to the one-day fantasy people.

midwat
May 6, 2007

SlipUp posted:

Gotta get in on it before congress pulls the plug.

Not to get all tinfoil-hat-ish, but it seems like too many big companies are making too much money for it to go away completely.

midwat
May 6, 2007

SlipUp posted:

Draftkings itself hasn't even turned a profit yet. They ain't no Lockheed-Martin.

I was thinking partly along the lines of "Disney, Viacom et al probably won't take too kindly to a grandstanding Congressman trying to take down the companies that are buying ALL the ad space."

midwat
May 6, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

PFTcommenter now has a weekly radio show and his first guest is Danny Woodhead

Is Danny Woodhead an elite guest?

midwat
May 6, 2007

How can the international community just sit back as Florio tortures sentences like that?

midwat
May 6, 2007

Kalli posted:

Freezing Cold Takes is the best

Ron Borges has always had the weirdest beef with Belichick.

You'd think Bill had used his dog for one of the sacrifices or something.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Someone needs to name a strain "Jake the Snake" in his honor.

Maybe a vape juice? "Liquid Plummer"?

midwat
May 6, 2007

Kalli posted:

Of all things to skimp on...

For sale: bulletproof vest, lightly used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwat
May 6, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

jesus christ

Have they killed all the editors at SI?

I don't think they've edited King in years, and they're not about to start now that he has his vertical.

• Locked thread