Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Moxie posted:

Well to be fair, it's not just the not raping that changed. By all accounts he has left previous assholish ways behind and has been presidential candidate style squeaky clean, which is pretty tough to do for two years straight.

Not for nothing, but it shouldn't be that hard to live up to the standards of "don't be a jackass"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

There's always going to be the line to walk between writing a solid, quality piece, and writing poo poo you might not really believe to stir up emotions, get page views, sell papers, etc. Living in a world where we're constantly bombarded by breaking news 24/7 from TV, radio, and internet has only exacerbated the problem. The "pace" of news has increased exponentially over the last 20 years, and with the looming death of print media, it's only going to get faster.

It might still be easier to write a weekly column recapping something like the weekend of the Masters, or the week leading up to the Super Bowl, but basic news articles are being cranked out at a breakneck pace now and I think it gets harder and harder for reporters to keep up with it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ehud posted:

@OmarKelly: For those who are new to following me...I don't sugar coat anything. I'm like a straight shot of Hennessy. Either you like it or you don't.

lol

Well that's certainly a way to introduce yourself.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kalli posted:

Also, Jon Bois's fantastic Breaking Madden series is returning next week,

holy poo poo yes

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ahahaha this is gonna rule

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Is there a single decent human being who is a sports journalists or are they all universally underachieving narcissists

Katie Nolan torched Rick Reilly on FS1 a while back so she's cool in my book.

Personality wise, it's hard to say, but there are still some good groups out there. Yahoo's investigative journalists did a great job with things like the Univ. of Miami sanctions and the Jerry Sandusky stories. Same for Deadspin who I believe were the first to get to the bottom of the Manti Te'o story.

That said, both employ some pretty annoying personalities as well, but that's basically the norm these days.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Neil Armbong posted:

WHere is the White Mike Vick stuff from?

There was an article in ESPNMag years ago titled "What if Michael Vick Were White?"

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/6894586/imagining-michael-vick-white-quarterback-nfl-espn-magazine

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo John Clayton is cold loving blooded

quote:

Clare Farnsworth and I both came up with the same idea after the 24 games that he played, that once he got hurt, it was an injury that Ron Wolfley, the fullback on the Arizona Cardinals made on him on a hit, on a special teams play I believe, we ended up sending a gift to Ron Wolfley. *laughs*

Q: You gave him a gift for ending the Boz's career?

Clayton: Yeah, pretty much, yeah.

[....]

Clayton: I can't remember exactly what we sent him, but we sent him something because we felt he earned it.

:stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Can we nominate a TFF champion to go fight Omar.

Ross

vvvv lol

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 14, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Yeah reading part of MMQB was bad and I should feel bad but loving come on PK how can you be this fuckin smug

I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick BatemanPeter King.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

The overriding national – and worldwide – sports story will be the competing coaches of the Super Bowl teams. The newspapers – we still exist, even if the NFL is no longer mindful of us – television and the Internet's amateur bloggers will tell of cheating, of scandal.

holy loving :qq:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

aaaaaaaaaaahahahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Peter King finally found his Alamo

Defending Darren Sharper's candidacy for the Hall of Fame :stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

OJ Simpson is in the Hall of Fame.

Didn't he go in like 10 years before the murder case though?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/12/letterman-dubs-deflategate-nonsense-during-belichick-interview/

Florio is mad that Belichick wasn't asked hard hitting questions in an interview...

... By David loving Letterman

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

football fuckerman posted:

tell me more about this

yeah this sounds great

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's like blaming JJ Watt for not having dragged the Texans kicking and screaming to the Super Bowl

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

she got a week off

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

She got the same punishment for yelling at the people who towed her car as Stephen A Smith for... what was that douchebag thing he did again?

Blaming women for getting beaten by men.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

To hear Greg tell it, he turned down Whitlock for a spot on the website a while back and Whitlock was chasing him pretty hard and didn't react well to it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This bears crossposting

http://deadspin.com/haughty-dipshit-gregg-easterbrook-gone-from-espn-1701211035

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crossposting a great story Deadspin's "The Stacks" sub-page found about how former QB Ken Stabler planted coke on a beat writer

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

WugLyfe posted:

ESPN never got back to me about using their partnership with Disney to have :stat: and :wal: call games.

The closest we ever got to this was 4 years ago when Ohio State and Michigan State had one of the saddest games of the season and Matt Millen and Sean McDonough were actively making GBS threads on it the whole time. It was great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

If nothing else that game brought us this.

Oh poo poo that's right. That did own.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

Lets see what the commentators have to say about the Harrison trophy thing...

https://twitter.com/antsstamp10/status/633414060818714624

:stare:

hahahaha goddamn

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

Chris Mortensen has throat cancer :smith:

Stage 4 too. Poor guy :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DIdn't ESPN tell their personalities to knock this off?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Someone did a study and once saw sports analysts were actually less skilled at making predictions than laymen

On the one hand this probably isn't wrong, but on the other, the analyst's job is to get viewers or clicks, not to be accurate.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

literally nothing of consequence has ever been changed by a change.org petition.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This goes here too. Bills beat reporters are getting creative with the team's media policies

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahaha that's great

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Reichsführer-SS Peter King demands your unflinching loyalty

We must secure the existence of our journalists and a future for hot takes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kalli posted:

Tillman managed an interception 7000 miles from a football stadium.

holy poo poo hahahahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ahahahahaha

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Remember when Boston went ballistic, not because the Caps knocked the Bruins out of the 2012 playoffs, but because a black player was the one with the game winning goal?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://www.yahoo.com/news/roger-goodell-owes-tom-brady-an-apology-183157757.html

Lol Dan Wetzel

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

This is kind of amazing. http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/12/20/here-come-jaguars-annotated#annotations:11048618

Back in August, SI commissioned a story on the supposed up-and-coming Jaguars, which doubled as a profile of Shad Khan. They never ran the story as the Jags crashed and burned, but decided to put it on the site with annotations just to find out how wrong they ended up being.

that's kinda awesome, good on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MMQB/SI has kicked off Joe Mixon's redemption tour

• Locked thread