Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
A friend of mine just sent me this on Facebook, so this story is definitely picking up steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbhNJkRnXUo
I forgot about this video. gently caress that slimey fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

quote:

The suspect in the beating murder of Peterson’s 2-year-old is the boyfriend of Peterson’s “baby mama” — now the casual, flippant, detestable and common buzz-phrase for absentee, wham-bam fatherhood.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Let's all be sure to tell the American Indian Movement they've got things all wrong.

NAACP has "colored" in it, but I still don't call black men colored.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Oh for gently caress sake, I wasn't trying to say anything profound. I was referring to prominent people saying that some words shouldn't be used because they are so offensive. The point is that the word isn't offensive, it's the context, yet we still have seemingly intelligent people actually proposing that there isn't any context for them.

"Redskins" is offensive if it's used in the context of a loving professional football team. On the other hand, if Mel Brooks uses it (and friend of the family for that matter) in Blazing Saddles, it's making a point, not degrading the subject of the slur.

I'm still trying to parse exactly what you're saying, because you cant honestly be saying that "if 'friend of the family' didn't offend people it wouldn't be a bad word."

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's not necessarily a dumb argument in hindsight maybe, just a weird combination of A. irrelevant B. obvious C. meaningless.

Irrelevant+obvious+meaningless=dumb argument :colbert:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

TFF, we've traced the bad posts...The bad football writing is coming from inside the thread!

YOu know, if everyone liked and appreciated those posts then they would be good posts. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

sweet thursday posted:

I'm sure it keeps you up at night

Don't accuse my posts of having thought behind them.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Not even close. And I'm not sure how I can better explain, honestly, but I'll try one more time and then wave the white flag and let the thread get back to more interesting stuff. Call a black person a friend of the family? Then you are a horrid piece of poo poo. Use it as a tool to ridicule the horrid pieces of poo poo or make broader points about racism? That's fine. When Cleavon Little popped up from behind that rock in Blazing Saddles and said, "Where the white women at," he wasn't celebrating a godawful racist stereotype, he was ridiculing the idiots that believe such poo poo.

When Dan Snyder insists on using an obviously grotesque slur for commercial reasons or some horseshit notion of "tradition", he's a horrid piece of poo poo. When The Onion then uses an equally awful slur that should hit home to Snyder, they are making a point and making it well.

Alright, that does make sense. But I'm not sure why you even felt the need to argue it. I'm sure all of us here in TFF recognized that the Onion was using a slur for the purpose of satire.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Declan MacManus posted:

They're not ready for the gospel I've tried delivering it a bunch of times

If you really love basketball why is your avatar always football related?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Not only should impressionable youngsters be taught that taunting is "cool" but also that violence is the best response when you or your peer is the target!

If youngsters are so impressionable that Golden Tate waving will scar them for life, they probably shouldn't be allowed to watch a sport where a man could die on the field.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I won't pretend that I can give an objective argument against it, I've just always found it classless.

That's the problem for me. It seems like the people against taunting don't have an argument besides "we don't like it", while those of us who support it can only say "we do like it". You might as well argue about what type of music is the worst, because it is dumb and subjective.

p.s. country sucks :banjo:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

And it sure as poo poo isn't worth the hand-wringing in either direction. Also, I'd be more amenable to it if it was creative or funny. It's so rare to see that.

It could definitely be more creative, but I think a key pillar of country music is being tragic and not comic. Is it still country if it is funny?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The problem though is that we are not debating two positive arguments.

Allowing taunting is a natural state. Banning taunting is an enforced state. There has to be an argument for why banning taunting is a good idea because the end result of doing nothing is the allowance of taunting.

PHILOSOPHY
I didn't even want to try bringing that up again, because I don't see us convincing those in favor of banning through that method.

quote:

EDIT: Also you idiots need to quit responding to Chiv's joke like he was serious

You hate fun or something? :mad:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

If you allow guys that are aggressive and seem to have pretty poor impulse control to overly berate each other, someone's going to get neck punched on the field. It's easier to just make it against the rules than to constantly pull guys off of each other. Somehow making it against the rules does seem to mitigate a lot of the shoving and worse that would be happening.

Can you imagine how much time would be wasted in Steelers-Ravens games if you allowed taunting then had to stop all the fights? Look how often they have to break guys up now!

I feel like you're going to have to provide some evidence that the amount of fights would increase. These players are already fighting during games as it is.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Players always try to get away with as much as the referee will let them. The 2010 World Cup Final happened because the referee was too lax. If players are fighting during games, legalizing taunting would most definitely increase the amount of fighting.

I don't see why this should result in punishments for taunting. It seems that the penalties for fighting aren't harsh enough and the referees are not doing a good enough job enforcing them (Personal fouls offset, nothing changes.) It seems to me the correct thing to do is crack down on fighting and eject players when they do it, so that there is actually an incentive to not do something that is dangerous, as opposed to banning taunting which harms no one while fights still happen.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

Last year when Alex Smith lost his job to Kaepernick, the narrative was "You shouldn't lose your job to injury!" with the Bledsoe/Brady thing being painted as the exception to the rule. Now its like the exact opposite with Cutler and McCown. What exactly happened to change up a "hard rule" in the NFL over the course of a single season.

The Niners made it to a Super Bowl with a usurper.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Sometimes Mike Tanier can crawl up his own rear end a little bit and be insufferable, but every once in a while he strikes gold and I remember why he is my favorite journalist. Here's something to wash the taste of your mouths.

Mike Tanier posted:

Saints at Rams

4:25 p.m. Sunday, Fox
Line: Saints by 6

The Saints clinch a playoff berth with their next win. We are all aware of their home-road disparity, but it doesn't really apply to a three-fourths occupied dome the same way it applies to a Legends of Thrash festival in the Seattle rain, so let's not get too amped by the "Saints can prove themselves on the road" angle.

Let's talk instead about the Rams' effort to win the NFL variance crown. Variance is the statistical measure of weekly ups and downs. It's quantified inconsistency, and Football Outsiders has kept track of it for over a decade. Here are the five most inconsistent teams in the NFL, according to deep statistical analysis:

Eagles
Rams
Jets
Colts
Packers

The Eagles are fading fast from the variance charts. Their place at the top is a holdover from their early-season boom-or-bust experiments and Matt Barkley's brief foray into turnover-per-possession tactics. Similarly, the Packers are not so much week-to-week inconsistent as All Pro-to-"shrimpy quarterback on his third team of the year" inconsistent. That leaves the Rams, Jets, and Colts battling for bipolar position, and it's a heck of a race.

To pass the Eagles, the Rams must have a great game on Sunday. They can then clinch the variance crown by playing poorly against the Buccaneers but routing the Seahawks in the season finale. Of course, doing so would make them predictable, which is no way to claim a prize for unpredictability. Look for the Rams to surprise us by not surprising us this week. It's what they do best. We think.

Prediction: Saints 28, Rams 17

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 14, 2013

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chris Gaines posted:

I knew it'd be terrible so no!

It is so much easier to be lovely and jaded than it is to actually look at what was written :v:.

quote:

So, just for fun, I pulled a whole bunch of anonymously sourced sentences, and attempted to make one coherent-ish story, in which every sentence was anonymously sourced.

Actually, it wasn’t particularly fun. But it took a lot of time. So here it is.

I'm pretty sure this was not intended as serious journalism, but instead as a commentary on the nature of sports journalism itself. Meta-journalism if you will.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rasczak posted:

As soon as I saw those tattoos I was like "yep he's probably going to kill at least a few people"

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop with Kaepernick

Finally we have proof that Cam Newton is an objectively better human being than Drew Brees. Cam is ink free.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I can not parse this sentence. Help me, y'all.

" Dolphins fans must find a way to await negativity with the franchise's first playoff bid on the line Sunday against the Jets "

Does he mean abate instead of await?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

I would watch it but only if every question took the form "What if [player name] was [race other than the one the player is]?

What if Sebastian Janikowski was Japanese?

he wouldn't have a drinking problem.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

Hey guys, torturing dogs is bad. Intentionally harming another human permanently while playing a game is ok though.

Dr. Doom over here, y'all.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Kalli posted:

I think it's a holdover from newspaper column writing where they weree so thin that stylistically they ended up writing in these short bullet point sentences.

Man, you aren't kidding: http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20140203/woody-paige-a-debacle-that-will-sting-for-a-long-time

Oh my god I read that entire article in the voice and style of William Shatner. My brain hurts now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Not technically a football article, but I'm sure you will all enjoy this crap.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stuart-muszynski/the-12th-man-can-transfor_b_4761246.html

quote:

Forgive me, but I don't believe that the Seattle Seahawks really won the Superbowl. It was the "12th man" that won it. How else can we explain how an underdog team that was "too young," with a quarterback who was "too short" decimated the Denver Broncos?

I've been inspired this football season by the "12th man" and how this concept has contributed to the unstoppable momentum of the Seattle Seahawks. Simply put, the "12th man" is the torturous noise the fans make at Seattle's games -- creating a daunting and oppressive atmosphere for the Seahawks' adversaries.

It gets worse from there.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chris Gaines posted:

What else do you expect from a HuffPo article? Also it annoys me to no end when "Superbowl" is spelt as one word.

I sure didn't expect them to somehow felate the entire 12th man.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

This thread makes me remember that its time for the Douche of the Year Tournament.

I'm nominating Darren Sharper.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Kalli posted:

vs Richie Incognito and Aaron Hernandez.

For once the owner side of things has like no chance.

Well Haslam might make the final 4. Plus a bunch of people won't vote for Sharper or Hernandez because " they're evil not douches :qq:".

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Hmmm yes straight up murdering several people not nearly as bad as being a shithead bully.

Don't blame me. When we did the Douche awards last year multiple posters wouldn't vote for certain people because they felt evil acts didn't qualify as douchey.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Then I dont even know what to think then. A guy who likely went around raping multiple women across the US or a guy who likely MURDERED multiple people... not douches

If you vote for a lovely white collar criminal or a shithead bully over them then I think you need therapy

I'm phone posting, so I can't find the old thread, but that discussion came up nearly every single round of voting. If you can find it it's worth reading just to see some really bizarre rationales.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

I remember distinctly arguing against those people too, saying you have to be a douche to be evil therefore evil=douche but it was to no avail

Some people just mentally separate the two words when most of us dont

Well I can kind of understand it if they immediately think of a tank top wearing frat bro when they hear the word 'douche'. I mean yes, I dislike them too, but I'm not sure I'd consider them evil. That said I still would vote Sharper or Hernandez as douche of the year. Maybe when we do the contest again we should change it to "Shithead of the Year" or "Football Associated Individual Who We Really Dislike On A Personal Level", so that the pedants don't derail the contest.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ehud posted:

@OmarKelly: I achieved my childhood dream at the age of 30. How many people can say that. My biggest challenge now is figuring out what's next.

And yet somehow this is even more obnoxious.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Someone at work just said it shows a lack of integrity in today's NFL that Russel Wilson is getting divorced

But really, if I just won a Super Bowl, I'd dump whoever and see if I could get a crack at Scarlet Johansen's crack while I'm on a roll.

I believe Kate HudsonUpton is the default sports girlfriend atm.

*edit*
wrong Kate

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Benne posted:

Su'a-Filo isn't falling to No. 32 but I'd be pretty stoked if that happened

I just want a guard who actually knows how to play the position.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ehud posted:

He's bad, but Omar Kelly still exists.

These are from the last hour.

@OmarKelly: Ask yourself who uncovers & documents most of the world's corruption? Newspapers are the watchdog for the world's evil people.

@OmarKelly: While football practice might confuse some, I've been doing them for 25-years. At this point it's like the Matrix to me. I see the code.

@OmarKelly: Caleb Sturgis might want to try yoga. That really helped me with my groin/hernia issues.

Maybe there is some context to those posts that I'm missing, but presented in that order in such a short time frame it just screams "maybe not mental illness but certainly in need of some therapy" to me. Like, dude has some real issues with narcissism.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ehud posted:

@OmarKelly: Today has probably been my most productive day as a journalist this whole year, & I haven't written a word. Relationships run this business

"I made a career for myself on my knees and not with a pen"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MonsterWalk posted:

That Bro_Pair article is fantastic.

Before we crown Omar as the worst, let's remember the time PK stole a ball from a child. Then wrote about it with absolutely no loving shame.

I'm pretty sure I read about this before, but can you link it?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Its Miller Time posted:

I was musing about today about how bad football commentary is. Can you name a single commentator or writer who actually discusses the strategy that goes on in a a game? What schemes the teams generally run, how they appear to have schemed for the game, how they countered each other and adjusted within the game, what plays they ran, why they ran them, how things are evolving or changed. FO gets there with some play-by-play analysis but it's exceedingly rare for how large the sport is.

Mike Tanier occasionally does some, but if I actually start looking for breakdowns I usually go all the way to someone like Muth, who probably doesn't even get 10 grand a year to write what he does, which is a shame. (Salary pulled completely out of my rear end because I assume he does it for fun and not profit) Gruden is honestly the only big name guy I can think of who discusses that, and he usually saves it for things like the QB camp videos and not the games, which is a tragedy.

I also don't like lumping Gruden in with the media because to me he still feels like a coach, just one who is out of work.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Man, as terrible as guys like Omar Kelly are with their bombastic self-adulation about "keeping people accountable", it is still infinitely more appealing to read than the bullshit bootlicking obsequiosness of King.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Kibner posted:

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2014/09/24/sean-taylor-a-football-life-sneak-preview/

The creator of this special made it because he was shocked at the difference between what Wilbon and Cowherd reported on Sean Taylor's death and how that death was mourned by the fans.

He requested 28 interviews but ended up with 41 (not counting ones that couldn't happen due to scheduling conflicts). Only two people declined to interview. Guess who.

DONT KEEP US WAITING, MAN! WHO? TELL US WHO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Did you people think this was fake? Because this is an actual message from Omar to me when he banned my fake Brandon Marshall account

I told him I had more credibility than he did and I was admitted fake twitter person for a few accounts that harasses him. I hate omar so much.

I thought it was fake. That's hilarious that it isn't.

• Locked thread