Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Peter King accurately predicted Arian Foster loving exploding, which still blows my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ehud posted:

The Dolphins have a beat writer named Omar Kelly. He has over 47000 tweets and most of them are terrible. Sometimes he institutes periods where if you tweet @ him on a certain topic he will block you permanently. Yesterday if you used "Kolb" and "Flynn" in the same tweet he blocked you.

He also tweets a lot about rap music, his wife, and how the writers for other Miami papers don't know what they're doing. The best thing that has come from his Twitter is a fake account called @FakeOmarKelly which is the funniest gimmick account I've ever read.

Sometimes I forget that FakeOmarKelly isn't real.

Also, Armando Salguero is an awful beat writer and may not actually have any insider sources, but that won't stop him from breaking stories!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kalli posted:

I legit want to beat on Florio with a baseball bat:

Mike Florio: Lawyer, football expert, professional injury diagnostician

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Sash! posted:

I don't think its necessarily being unreasonable thinking that there could be players that are claiming injury that didn't have head injuries.

Yeah, actually, it's pretty unreasonable given the number of sub-concussive impacts pretty much every player suffers in practice alone. Even if a player went his entire career without a helmet-to-helmet collision, he would have suffered dozens of helmet-to-turf collisions even if he only played the NFL-average 3 seasons.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

quote:

The mere discussion of what's legally right is what turns my stomach the most. I told you how close these two men were. This is one of those cases where what's legally right shouldn't matter. What's morally right should. What's morally right is that Pamphilon, who never would have heard what Williams said without being attached to Gleason, shouldn't have released the tape without Gleason's permission.

what

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rap posted:

Reminder that Peter King thinks he is great. And that he's going to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

And yet he refuses to vote Cris Carter in there, and refused to put Art Monk in there for the longest time

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Blackula69 posted:

He tried to do play-by-play stuff but he couldn't keep up with the action on the field and would say words wrong constantly. Oh, and he would mislabel players on a ton of plays.

Brain injuries are a terrible thing and gently caress Peter king for not standing up for former players. gently caress that fat rear end in a top hat

Hoge is the one that had to relearn how to read, right?

And PK goes with the company line because it gives him access. Why he needs access to say nothing at all is beyond me.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Deadspin should really score a 0.0 by every single readability metric.

EDIT: And incidentally Flesch-Kinkaid is a bullshit metric.

Sean Newell is the loving worst. (Not that he wrote the article, I just hate reading anything he writes for Deadspin and it seemed relevant)

Also Flesch-Kincaid seems like it measures something that's difficult to quantify ("readability") so it's not surprising to find out that it doesn't do a good job of it. :v:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MonsterWalk posted:

Deadspin still sucks.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

I don't mind Drew Magary's stuff. I actually think he deserves better than to be writing for loving Deadspin.

He writes a lot of stuff for GQ, which is better than Deadspin, possibly because they have a highly paid editorial staff that trims the fat.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Parlett316 posted:

Hall also owns the most interceptions in a half. Jesus Christ Jay.

"I'd still throw at him."

-Literal sentiment expressed immediately after the game

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Copy editing is tons of fun, I know all the symbols and I have a green pen for being nice and a red pen for putting the fear of God into writers

please hire me, somebody

Also the thing to keep in mind is that the average football writer is writing for a pretty broad audience who typically won't notice common grammatical and syntactic errors; also Peter King has no editor and cranks out MMQB in 12 hours on a train, this is literally the process that I use to write college papers I don't want to do

E: Also, seeing Favre watching Lard Lad on a television screen is still magical

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

If you don't value your time, no one else will either

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

midwat posted:

King also has no real inclination/incentive to rock the boat at all. The status quo with the league (i.e. Goodell being god-king) has made him fat and happy, so there's no reason to challenge it.

I'm not saying he should suddenly become an anarchist or anything, but he is very much the mouthpiece of the league office (and NBC! Isn't the Nard-dog funny? Watch our Thursday comedy lineup!).

You know what else has made him fat and happy? Lots of cream infused coffee drinks

I'm not sure who the antithesis of King would be. I can only remember beat writers by name if they're being self-important douches.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rap posted:

The suggestion that there's something wrong with Evan Silva or aggregators is laughable. If he pays any attention at all, Silva knows more than Kelly about the depth charts and decisions of 30 or 31 teams in the league. That make's him mor'e qualifi'ed as a journal'is't tha'n you, Kel'l'y'

You are a more qualified journalist than Omar Kelly.

I am a more qualified journalist than Omar Kelly.

RG3 is a more qualified journalist than Omar Kelly.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Isurion posted:

So the problem is that he failed to maintain the charade of objectivity? It's not about actually being objective, it's about others perceiving you as objective?

Basically, yeah. Everyone has innate biases and teams they pull for and management they do or don't like. The point is to divorce yourself from your opinions and print the facts.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

you don't do shots of hennessy god drat omar kelly

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Don't forget tits.

And slideshows of tits. Kiss tha pageviewzz

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Febreeze posted:

Something we have to remember is Peter King currently sucks, but he earned his way to the top rightfully. He was an excellent reporter for years, gaining contacts and credibility. But once he reached the top, he stopped trying and is now a lazy bum in a cushy job with no one challenging him. Occasionally you still see glimpses of what he used to be, but mostly he just doesn't try anymore because he doesn't have to.

No, no, you're thinking of Rick Reilly. Pete has always been a fluffer to the stars (most notably the Steve Young-Gatorade thing and the years of Favre slobbering)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Brannock posted:

There's no point to the story. There's no punchline, no follow-up, no anything. Nothing omitted. That's all there is.

The life of Peter King.

Peter King's life is basically a Raymond Carver story, except everyone's addicted to coffee instead of booze

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

defiantgiant posted:

How long before Peter King's column is just his grocery list followed by a bunch of things he thought he was typing into the search bar?

I mean, he already has Factoid of the Week That May Only Interest Me, so

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

AKMoose posted:

AOL.com search "Google" enter "http://www.facebook.com"

AOL Keyword: Lofty

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

You wouldn't think Jason Whitlock could make that sort of a burn with a straight face considering some of the garbage he's produced, yet there it is.

Jason Whitlock is good at three things: Eating ribs, stumping for Jeff George, and laying down burns on his fellow "reporters"

That's about it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Sash I didn't know you liked jokes

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Febreeze posted:

Two good games isn't "looking awesome". If he keeps it up for the rest of the year then yeah.

Uh even if he was throwing four picks a game, have you seen that mustache

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

AAA DOLFAN posted:

No loving way Omar is that delusional

Conversely: Omar

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Tim Tebow won some memorable games

This is just the remaining relics of institutionalized racism present in football because

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Also genetically Tim Tebow is pretty loving gifted (fast, arm like a cannon, big as gently caress) but the problem is with his mechanics, which are so skullfuckingly awful that they render him useless on any sort of consistent basis.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Ehud posted:

I started calling Tebow "simple Tim" in social situations about a year ago

I am dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hokREtrk4eM

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Isaac Bruce Bowen posted:

I don't think he's refusing to change his mechanics. He's just downright incapable of doing it for some reason.

His footwork is also bad.

Here's a cool video: http://vimeo.com/9344613

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Its Miller Time posted:

Wasn't this just one summer before the draft? I haven't heard of him doing anything since entering the NFL, nor noticed an improvement to my untrained eye. Which is confusing, since he's always billed as super hard working, but perhaps mechanics really can't be changed.

Kaepernick and Aaron Rodgers both rebuilt their mechanics, and Cam Newton has been steadily improving his footwork since he got to the NFL. They can be changed, it's just Tim Tebow hasn't been able to (or hasn't wanted to, whatever)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I was going to make a thread to discuss and theorize why Tebow is unsuccessful at quarterback but we know why already :effort:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kalli posted:

I think the needed tons of work to adapt to the NFL combined with ending up on two teams in utter turmoil / trainwreck situations kinda answers that.

Basically. I was doing a game-by-game analysis and exploring the rest of the roster but what it really boils down to is he got shoved into a starting role for the last three games of his rookie season and looked decent enough to where his coach pulled Kyle Orton and shoved Tebow out there at 1-4, and Tebow responded by transubstantiating 7 wins, which kind of ruined his chances of being able to take it slow until he was ready.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

...Bird internet.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Sash! posted:

...I think I might be Peter King.

Help

You at least have the common decency to not command a salary for it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rasczak posted:

I just took my kids on a week-long Disney trip and I find that pretty loving hard to believe. :colbert:

But it's a waffle shaped like Mickey Mouse!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rap posted:

I'm actually impressed, most of the Yahoo comments are kind of good.

Yahoo comments are just focused on hating something, anything

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

My God it's all puff pieces

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Robinson is also faster than Tebow, doesn't bring the off-the-field poo poo that Tebow does (which, even though his teammates may dig his leadership, is ultimately a distraction and takes away from the team as a whole), is younger (and therefore has more upside), and is on a cheaper contract than Tebow. And as Rap said, he's already willing to lineup in the backfield/as a wide receiver/as a kick returner in addition to taking snaps at QB which Tebow has shown reluctance to do.

I can't imagine a world where I would rather have Tim Tebow on my NFL roster than Denard Robinson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

He described a reporter as "notable" without saying why he was notable. It's such a small thing but it really shows how he writes these columns on a fly-by-night basis without giving a poo poo.

• Locked thread