Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The_Hat posted:

That’s just the point. “Redskins” is not a word that comes up on reservations, according to the people I interviewed.

how does this not set off a thousand alarms in your head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

agreed

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

sir that's gross

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bill Barnwell dropped a totally unnecessary Q and Not U reference in a column last week and I don't know if it was great or just stupid. Which is how I feel about Simmonsian writing in general.

I saw that and I specifically remembered reading it, which I guess is the point, but I still don't know how I feel about Soft Pyramids as they relate to football.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Chris Gaines posted:

I'm aware of the premise of the joke, but man the slur they use is almost on par with the n-word.

You know what else is a slur on par with the n-word?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

swickles posted:

What was that?

Also, the Onion publishes stuff like that and way worse than that routinely.

They called a child actress a oval office in what was clearly a misfired joke that went too far on the edgy side and everyone flipped their poo poo about it, because it's still hosed up to call an 11 year old girl a oval office even if you're joking

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DangerKat posted:

Wasn't that their Twitter, not a story?

It was but that's the only thing The Onion's ever backed down on to my knowledge.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

whoops

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DasNasty posted:

Because basketball is the One True Sport.

They're not ready for the gospel I've tried delivering it a bunch of times

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kibner posted:

Because his football teams give him more misery and/or comedy.

Ding ding ding.

The Spurs are solid and workmanlike. You wouldn't have an avatar of a well functioning tablesaw.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I thought you guys bought the Kings

Maloof'd!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

quote:

Replacement theory
Adam Rank sees a startling resemblance between Josh McCown and Hollywood's Shane Falco.

front page lead on nfl.com

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Great job hiring this guy FO, between this sort of vacuous opinion dump and his terrible regular piece about Clutchiness the quality of your reportage is really elevated.

the author posted:

Just doing my part. Though I can't imagine you being a Jay Cutler fan, since it actually takes effort to reply.

rrrrrrrraaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGH

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Matt Leinart lived like a Roman emperor his last year at USC; you can't put a price on that but people will try

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

This man is not pleased that his fourth round draft pick did not work out.

quote:

Heading into the season without a quarterback they felt was a long-term answer, the Raiders selected Wilson with their fourth-round pick this year — a rookie out of Arkansas who had some serious upside. At the time, many thought the pick could bring Oakland great value, considering Wilson was projected as a first-rounder just twelve months earlier.

This is not how the draft process works. If he was worth a first round pick at the time of the draft, he would've been taken in the first two rounds. The facet that he wasn't meant that he had serious holes in his game that turned him from a star into a project. It was great value, because Wilson has great tools, but expecting first round production out of a fourth round pick off the bat because he was projected in the first round is ridiculous.

quote:

By the time the season was set to begin, Wilson was placed on waivers before ever seeing a regular season game — to make matters worse, there wasn't a team in the league interested. Wilson was then re-signed to the practice squad, where he stayed for the remainder of his time in Oakland — even watching undrafted rookie Matt McGloin take over the starting job many thought might be his some day.

The fact there wasn't a single team interested should tell you something about Tyler Wilson. And the Raiders entered the season with Pryor and Flynn competing for the starting job and a burning heap of wreckage behind them; if you thought one of them might become starter, you had some very rosy lenses in your frames.

quote:

From Oakland's perspective, they probably wish they had just let Wilson remain a free agent from the day he cleared waivers. Then, at least, they wouldn't have today's reminder of what a failed pick it was.

Reminder that the Raiders took a flyer on a former first round prospect in the fourth. Not really a failed pick except for the fact he isn't on the team anymore, and most fourth round picks wash out anyways, even the ones that aren't quarterbacks that would be throwing to a bunch of UDFAs.

quote:

In two seasons thus far, McKenzie has gotten a pass from me thanks to the mess of a salary cap he inherited. With no cap space (and no first or second round pick two years ago), McKenzie had built in excuses all around him — not to mention a first year head coach.

YOUR PASS IS ABOUT TO BE REVOKED MCKENZIE, YOU'RE A LOOSE CANNON AND YOU AREN'T HITTING ON YOUR PICKS, HAND IN YOUR PASS AND GUN

quote:

While I would vote for Allen's firing at the end of this season, however, I do think McKenzie deserves one more season with another full draft class and some cap space to work with.

If 2014 looks anything like this season, however, it might be time for Oakland to start all over.

Again.

"Well it's been three years into this rebuild where we had no cap space, a ton of injuries to young players, and were in a no man's land for drafting QBs. Time to pull the plug."

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kalli posted:

You know who else had everything in their past reduced to 'smoked some weed' in the public's perception?

He's so happy, so unaware of the murders he's gonna commit

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Beat reporter, superhero, script writer

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Dave Dameshek is a lovely writer.

Highlights:

quote:

The first 16 weeks of the 2013 season have been pro football’s answer to ‘American Hustle’: long, confusing, and plum fantastic.

Fantastic for myriad reasons too many to count for this lazy writer, but now just prelude to the climax of a season regular in name only. You already know it, but it’s worth repeating: 2013 will go out like a lion (not the Detroit Lions, thankfully) thanks to the game’s most historic rivalry. Packers and Bears, Aaron Rodgers and Jay Cutler in Soldier Field for the NFC North title. Professional talkers are using phrases like “high risk, high reward!” and “professional legacy!” Here are the three words I prefer: ‘ooh’, ‘la’, and ‘la’.

quote:

Long, as in… how long ago does it seem Peyton opened the season with those seven TD passes against the defending champs? And will that long ago game – played in Denver instead of Baltimore (where it should been played) – be what keeps the Ravens from defending their crown? The home team has won 10 of the last 11 of those primetime midweek season openers, so it’s fair to assume the Ravens would have won theirs… which would mean Sunday’s game in Cincy would be for the division title, not a fight for survival.

quote:

Lots of people already consider the Packers and Eagles making the playoffs a foregone conclusion, but this season has made making such assumptions an rear end of you… but not me. I’m assuming nothing. In fact, I have more questions than answers. Questions like:

What if Kyle Orton beats the Eagles?

It seems impossible, but I would’ve said the same about Amy Adams being foxier than Jennifer Lawrence ’til I saw ‘American Hustle’.

quote:

And if Cutler wins it, he’ll likely get to keep calling Chicago home for a few more seasons so he and his sizable pals Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffrey can build on Marc Trestman’s promising first season. If the Bears lose, though, Cutler will more likely be wearing a Texans or Titans (or Bengals?) helmet come September ’14.

quote:

Who’ll represent the AFC in the Super Bowl?

Denver has been the best team over the last four months, but that’s not the question posed. A decent case can made for any of the top five seeds… and after the Chargers’ win in Denver a couple weeks ago, it’s not a long shot they could go on a deep run from the sixth spot. At the very least, the six-seed – whoever it is – will be good enough to have a realistic shot at going into Cincy or Indy in the wildcard round and coming out with a win.

I am mad irl that this guy has a job writing and I do not

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

if i had to pick three words i would choose 'ooh' and 'la' and poo poo, uh, i dunno, 'la' again?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm sure they aren't like going 'hey Goldberg you a fuckin Jew???' but going by my experiences there is nothing evangelicals lose their poo poo about more than Jews who remind them that Jews are different than them. If he came out one day and said 'hey guys, let me tell you about my Jewish faith and why it's helped me' he'd get a wonderful combo hit of the typical 'FUCKIN JEWS EVERYWHERE AAAAGH' nutjob crowd and evangelicals clutching their pearls that a dude who doesn't think Jesus is god is telling people he thinks his faith is correct. Tebow's press entirely came from the right wing evangelical crowd hugging him and vowing to protect him from the liberal comunazis who dare to say 'you look like an rear end in a top hat when you kneel down like that mid game'. If he didn't have those dudes he'd just be another good college player who was decent in the NFL.

I mean you're totally right that Jews just don't do the poo poo he did and we're super not evangelical at all, but I'm assuming he's some kinda weird rear end 'gotta spread the faith' type for this so it's a more accurate comparison. Yea in real life if Tim was a Jew he'd just, ya know be a Jew and no one would give a gently caress because seriously except for crazy people who cares if a dude is a Jew we super don't get in your face about it.

Judaism has an out for non-Jews to get into heaven, no way they're as h4rdcore

People would definitely say things like "oy" when he threw picks tho

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It reminds me of this genuinely amazing book "And the Band Played On" about the AIDS epidemic. In one passage he describes a certain type of white blood cell as "The Quarterback of the body's defensive line" and to this day I wonder how nobody pointed out that makes no sense in editing.

I think they're using two separate metaphors without realizing it rather than one big metaphor that they've mixed and that only football autists would really be bothered by it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

"Touchdowns are fluky" is a nicer/dumber/shorter way of saying that Decker only caught a ton of TDs this year because of the talent around him and they just as easily could have gone to one of the three other outstanding receivers on the Broncos.

E: The other things are dumb, though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

hahaha omar you fuckin idiot

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Chichevache posted:

I think you can only make that statement if, for some bizarre reason, you value contract law above other social and ethical obligations.

*in a really dumb nerdy voice* I think you can only make that statement if, for some bizarre reason, you value contract law above other social and ethical obligations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Grittybeard posted:

Tied with Ronnie Lott for 7th in career interceptions one behind Ed Reed, was known as a hard hitter. He'd probably be worth discussing just for those things I guess, although I'm kind of the same and never really thought of him as a hall of famer.

Cannot overlook the most hardest hitting safety in the league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Florio's less of a husband and more of a valet

• Locked thread