Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Schefter is good and Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) doesn't always scoop things himself but he follows a lot of folks and retweets stuff very quickly and typically only very reliable stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

For a middle of the road opinion, I'm kind of "meh" on ESPN's AFC South guy, Paul Kuharsky. He has some decent insight and sources, but a lot of the time it just feels like he's pulling crap from other places without regard to the trustworthiness/newsworthiness of the sources. For example, twice in the past 24 hours he has used the Bleacher Report as a source. :rolleyes: (though to be fair, one was kind of a "look at what this guy said" and the other was a "this guy thinks this but I disagree")

He does turn around content pretty quickly though, so within half an hour or so of a big breaking event he'll have something posted on the blog.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Kuharsky is a regular fixture on 104.5 in Nashville and he works the Loud Obnoxious Jersey Guy schtick for all it's worth. The only remotely good thing about him is when he gets in shouting matches with dumb redneck callers and just starts openly insulting them.

With any luck Frank Wycheck just snaps one day and crushes his skull on live radio.

Oh yeah I only ever read his articles/tweets/chats but I can see that, especially from his chats on espn.com, he can be very snarky but half the time I don't blame him because it's stupid people asking stupid poo poo or pulling stupid gimmicks like putting "Vince Young" in as their name and "Winning Games" in as their "location".

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Febreeze posted:

These tweets seem a little hard to understand without Solomon's context

Turns out it wasn't Mario it was a buddy of his anyway. But Mario didn't really retract it either.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Febreeze posted:

Was it Luigi?

Edit: Actually, with this new information, we can now add Mario Williams to the "Unreliable" list of sports reporters.

Nope

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Despite reporting in a field completely unrelated to football, I get to do a bunch of pieces on fantasy this year for a major newspaper :dance:

Every time I see this my eyes immediately glaze over.

It happen's all the time on these guy's twitter's, its so frustrating

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

AKMoose posted:

Looking at preseason predictions is always fun. At the beginning of the season, Peter King was predicting that the Chiefs would have the No. 3 AFC seed and had Romeo Crennel pegged for coach of the year.

Fake edit: In fact, three of SI's writers had Romeo as coach of the year. :psyduck:

And here's our own prediction thread for this year...

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Arschlochkind posted:

Hey I remember that thread! Let's see what some of us had to say about the ol' Houston Texans...

Oh.

Intruder you're the best~ :unsmith:

And Titans in the Super Bowl of course.

:wtf:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

NC-17 posted:

He doesn't even need to go back that far. Does that guy really not remember the 2010 Divisional loss to a Jets team they curb stomped a month earlier?

This gives me a bit more hope.

While Shaugnessy is a loon, you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would place serious money on the Texans to win this weekend.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How will Matt Florio carry on without his #1 source of information?

I like to believe that Matt Florio is Mike Florio's evil(er?) twin brother who twirls his mustache

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Chichevache posted:

It is real. Trust me.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

That's so Dolphins

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

DJExile posted:

There was an article in ESPNMag years ago titled "What if Michael Vick Were White?"

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/6894586/imagining-michael-vick-white-quarterback-nfl-espn-magazine

"Oh yeah wasn't that like a Jemele Hill joint?"

*clicks link*

"gently caress now I am reminded that Touré was ever a thing"

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

PFT calls out Stephen A and is right about it

quote:

“Chip Kelly makes decisions over the last couple of years that, dare I say, leave a few brothers feeling uncomfortable,” Smith said. “I think that’s fair to say. I mean, we’re sitting here looking at some of the decisions that Chip Kelly makes and I’m like what is up? What’s up with that? I mean, it’s like you’ve got to be his kind of guy, you know? And I’m like, well, Riley Cooper’s your kind of guy?”

quote:

“Let’s get beyond the system, the operative word is ‘culture,'” Smith said. “The culture is what resonates with me more profoundly because I’m looking at a Chip Kelly and I’m like, really? Now, you’ve got to remember, where did I work for 16 years? I mean, this is Philadelphia. You understand what I’m saying? I’m always in Philly, and I’m telling you right now you’ve got people walking the streets and, hell with it, you’ve got brothers walking the streets going like ‘What’s up with Chip? I don’t understand this. I really don’t understand what you’re doing.’ Now I’m not saying I know, I’m just saying that it does strike me as a tad bit odd. I’m going to repeat this. Gone: LeSean McCoy, Jeremy Maclin, you know, DeSean Jackson. Staying: Riley Cooper. Really? Really? OK.”

Stephen A should stick to being bad at basketball reporting instead of doing bizarre cherry-picking bullshit fishing for race issues in the NFL.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Avoid chronic medical issues from playing in the NFL with this one weird tip from a mom, soon-to-be murder victims hate her!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Man, the follow-up tweets and soft-backpedaling are pretty amazing

This is my favorite:

quote:

By the way.... I am racist but Roc Nation seems to have something missing in its sports clientele. Wonder what that is???

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ehud posted:

Do any of your respective ESPN beat writers contribute worthwhile content? James Walker just reposts stuff from various sources.

Tania Ganguli for the Texans is pretty decent. I think she's been the only one who has done it since it used to just be per-division, and Paul Kuharsky (I think he does the Titans now?) never did any in-depth original stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Benne posted:

In other beat writer news, Tania Ganguli is leaving ESPN to cover the NBA for the LA Times.

That's too bad she was decent

• Locked thread