Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Greg Cosell (@gregcosell) is a fantastic follow, I have learned a lot about football just from his tweets. Great at teaching little positional nuances and team-building philosophies.

edit: here's a snippet

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Here's Bleacher Report and Yahoo! Sports guy Adam Waksman's (@AdamWaksman) smear piece on Palestinian-American NY Jet Oday Aboushi. Waksman essentially calls Aboushi anti-Semitic for speaking at a Palestinian society conference and having the gall to tweet about Israeli occupation.

My favorite part:

quote:

As one last detail, Kaufman comments that Aboushi has been associated with IR (Islamic Relief), an organization that is believed to serve as a front for Hamas and Al-Qaeda. However, as a piece of fact-checking, it is important to note that IR is a legitimate charity, while IRRO (International Islamic Relief Organization) is the one that is believed to be a front for terrorism. Since it is not clear at this moment whether the reporter got the acronyms mixed up or the event itself confused, this last bit should be taken with a definite grain of salt until further evidence is available.

"Oday supports charities connected to Al-Qaida. Actually, that's another charity, but still" :ughh:

The lone source for Waksman's article? An even more disgusting piece from extreme right-wing rag FrontPageMag, written by Joe Kaufman, the same man who advocated nuking of Muslim countries after 9-11

Since Kaufman isn't a sports writer, or any sort of reasonable journalist, I won't get into how lovely and racist his piece on Aboushi is, but some young nitwit from Yahoo!/Bleacher apparently thought it was enlightening and important enough to repackage and share.

The Nation's Dave Zirin (@edgeofsports) has already written a good response to Waksman's article: http://www.thenation.com/blog/175216/slander-ny-jet-oday-aboushi#axzz2YlbiTCgK

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I just went to Waksman's article again and it has been taken down by Yahoo. I am not very computer literate so I don't know what 'caches' and stuff are but if someone wants to do that thing and quote it here

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Honestly what is most irritating about Waksman's article is how he couches it in very guarded language and mentions that FrontPageMag is not objective, but still parrots everything they say on Aboushi. He isn't critical of Kaufman at all, and basically reprints his poo poo with the "Muslim Extremist" language taken out, and then plays the objective observer with little warning statements like

quote:

It is important to realize that FrontPageMag.com is an openly political news source and thus should not be viewed as an entirely objective source of information. In the end, nothing in the Kaufman piece is sufficient proof of much except for activism of a general sort.

Why even write the article then, Adam? Why?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
"considering both sides"

Also the shitstain MLB social media guy @jdmael who compared Aboushi's Palestinian activism to Hernandez's murders is back on Twitter after taking his account down for several hours.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
And if you were wondering if the MLB guy's apology on Twitter was sincere, he calls him Obay (it's Oday)

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Elotana posted:

I hope he develops into a Pro Bowler and keeps up his activism just to piss off the subset of Jets fans who are also dumbshit racists

It's New York/NJ. Home of Peter King, Christine Quinn, Michael Bloomberg, Anthony Weiner, Chuck Schumer, etc., I'm sure Aboushi has become very used to anti-Arab/Muslim hate since being drafted

VVV I was referring to his support of NYPD surveillance of Muslim groups in NYC but you're right, he did defend the Ground Zero Mosque plans. Sorry to derail this thread into a very contentious topic guys

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 12, 2013

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Where Johnny Football is compared to Rosa Parks,

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/johnny-manziel-case-was-tipping-point-in-ncaa-hypocrisy-080813

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Manish Mehta's pretty good

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Just gonna leave this here........

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/sons-death-doesnt-make-adrian-peterson-a-great-person/?utm_source=SFnewyorkpost&utm_medium=SFnewyorkpost

Bravely lovely even for Mushnick

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

And it's a joke that illustrates the point that "forbidden" words shouldn't exist. It's a perfect use of the slur and anyone who protests it is literally protesting the concept of letters being put together in a combination they don't like. You have to 100% ignore the context to be offended.

Whoaaaaaa mind blown

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Oh for gently caress sake, I wasn't trying to say anything profound. I was referring to prominent people saying that some words shouldn't be used because they are so offensive. The point is that the word isn't offensive, it's the context, yet we still have seemingly intelligent people actually proposing that there isn't any context for them.

"Redskins" is offensive if it's used in the context of a loving professional football team. On the other hand, if Mel Brooks uses it (and friend of the family for that matter) in Blazing Saddles, it's making a point, not degrading the subject of the slur.

No that is profound, don't sell yourself short

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

football fuckerman posted:

If anyone follows @Bro_Pair, who just published a 14-page story on pro wrestling without ever tweeting about it beforehand--and he tweets a lot--it just underlines how loving stupid and baseless Kelly's smug poo poo is

I quit twitter to try and get my life back, can you link the article

nm found it https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/08/money-in-the-bank/

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
^^^ beaten

The best part about Magary's article was his awesome and brief dig at Albert Breer. What a loving rear end in a top hat

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
my mom is on her 3rd year of thinking he is south Indian

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Man, that reporter's tweet about Carson Palmer is strangely the most infuriated thing I've seen in this thread. gently caress that rear end in a top hat

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Chichevache being a disingenuous gently caress again? Stop the presses.

He has a point, honestly

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Chichevache posted:

I don't understand your histrionics. :confused: My ideal is that they ask the dude a question, he doesn't answer, and they move on to go find a willing interview. This isn't the loving White House. He's a nobody football player, not someone with any importance or responsibilities. We don't need his answers like he's a press correspondent holding out about CIA abuses. This nutty idea that we need to know how opinion because he makes a lot of money is really odd.

I totally agree with you, but I do think-- because football is an entertainment industry -- that many of its consumers like hearing what their favorite athletes have to say. I know we at TFF laugh at their canned answers to questions, but I think sports leagues assume it keeps fans closer to the product if you can interview the players/coaches after big wins and losses.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

I really don't care about what Lynch does or doesn't say, but I find his total contempt of the media baffling. Was his mother Lady Diana or something? The dude is a gimmicky guy. From the grills, to the roped off Lambo, to the Skittles, to the flying crotch grab, Marshawn wants attention. So why does he get all uppity when reporters want to talk to him? Was he burned by a reporter in the past?

Need to misspell a few words if you're trying to ape him, and be funny

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Ribsauce posted:

It is amazing how easily people are willing to throw an accusation of racism at people based on nothing. People think nothing of accusing others of being racist like it is not a serious accusation. Really, Stephen A Smith just accused Chip Kelly of being a racist (without straight up saying it) in front of the entire county. That is not a joke. That is a serious accusation. It never gets treated like it though.

It's so crazy man

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I live in Arlington and have dealt with that company, and Britt McHenry is a hero for being so mean.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Chichevache posted:

I mean, unless the person behind the counter was an owner that's still lovely. Like calling up the Redskins and bitching out whatever poor monkey runs the phones, instead of, you know, acting like an adult and waiting outside of Snyder's home.

The people behind the counter deserve it all

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Keith older man, Katie Nolan, Bill Simmons, also a lot of beat writers are pretty critical of the NFL especially when it's about their team

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Old people suck so I'm with slipup

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I want to be the overexcited defense attorney that questions the prosc witness' credentials to the point where the judge shouts that the witness is an expert!

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I'm the Navy dress whites Demi Moore wears in Cuba

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I'm the baseball bat that leads to the flight log bluff

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
is that my boy Phil Mushnick

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Peter King bitched and moaned for years about the greatest punter of all time getting in but he wants a mediocre guy who got tk'ed in the desert to go in the first round?

i think Peter is saying he doesn't want Pat Tillman in the HOF?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I interpreted not mine to be Peter King "humble" empty quoting

Peter King doesn't seem the type to call the HoF "his"

it feels like he is saying "he's not on my list, friend"

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I'm glad this dude is being petty about this, LaCanfora is the biggest loving turd in sports media

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
LaCanfora doesn't have any controversial takes like all those people, he is just a man with an idiot's face

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
What was so bad about what he tweeted, clowning on Boston (whether the natives or the sports teams) for being anti-black is pretty spot on and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
I've lived in Boston as a non-white, so nah, it isn't

The city's lovely reputation w/r/t race is definitely earned

• Locked thread