Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
From the past year:

Planned Parenthood Opens $8 Billion Abortionplex

This story seems to have come up more than any other on Literally Unbelievable.

And one that has been posted online as an actual example of waste of taxpayers' money by people who don't know what The Onion is:

New Study Shows People With Panic Disorders Respond Poorly To Being Locked In Underwater Elevators

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
More favorites, on a literary criticism theme:

Novelist Has Whole lovely World Plotted Out

Sci-Fi Writer Attributes Everything Mysterious To 'Quantum Flux'

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
For some reason, the horrific dog stories are hilarious:

And one dog story that's just cute:

Nation's Dog Owners Demand To Know Who's A Good Boy

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
I hadn't seen those. The Onion has great articles picking on Apple marketing:

Apple Claims New iPhone Only Visible To Most Loyal Of Customers

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

That's one of my favorites, especially as Wikipedians get so defensive about such stuff.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Not a single article, but a whole series. From when Obama won the election in November 2008 to his inauguration in January 2009, The Onion had a series of short paragraphs in the "News in Brief" section on horrific accidents suffered by President Bush:

The Biden series was linked earlier, but no one has linked my favorite:

Biden Receives Lifetime Ban From Dave & Buster's

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
They also did a video about Vice President Biden: Newsroom: Biden Criticized For Appearing In Hennessy Ads. It is a different persona from the articles, but it is hilarious imagining him as an "international playboy." "Sensual. Powerful. Biden."

Biden knew about the articles, and has said that they are "hilarious." He also said that he doesn't have a 1981 Trans Am, but does have a 1967 Corvette.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Barehanded Brother posted:

I can't believe this one hasn't been posted yet. So many people fell for this on Facebook because they've never actually watched C-Span before:

http://www.theonion.com/video/proposed-classified-bill-will-defend-against-flesh,14175/

*the rest of this post is classified*

The very first O-SPAN video: O-SPAN: Live From Congress - The Skull loving Bill Of 2007

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
One more classic video: Newsroom: Ninja Parade Slips By Town Unnoticed Once Again

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Lysidas posted:

Everything involving Joad Cressbeckler is great.

Joad Cressbeckler: Homosexuality A Necessity On Cold Mountaintops

Yes! I love the Joad Cressbeckler spots. The most recent one: Joad Cressbeckler Denies He Incited Mob To Drag Congressman Through Briar Patch.

I especially like the way his show makes fun of the idiotic segment branding on other cable news shows.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
One of my favorite recent videos: DNA Evidence Frees Black Man Convicted Of Bear Attack

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Onion editorial cartoonist Stan Kelly gets a video of his own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_aDIY8OJog

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Avocados posted:

I know this is a page back but, where can I find news print of The Onion?

I've seen copies for sale at Barnes & Noble, in the newspaper section.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Reminds me of this story:

Failing U.S. Economy No Reason At All To Stop Investing In Print Media, All Experts Agree

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Kelmo posted:

The latest American Voices cracks me up

High School Seniors Texting While Driving
http://www.theonion.com/articles/high-school-seniors-texting-while-driving,28483/

And this American Voices also has "systems analyst" as one of the professions. How many years have they had that running gag?

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

One from last year that had a good video with it: Indianapolis Announces Really Embarrassing Bid For 2020 Summer Olympics

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

This story turned up on Literally Unbelievable:

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Brother Jonathan posted:

From the past year:

Planned Parenthood Opens $8 Billion Abortionplex

This story seems to have come up more than any other on Literally Unbelievable.

A story in Politico led me to this Facebook post by Congressman John Fleming of Louisiana:

"The Onion's editor, Joe Randazzo, said the publication is proud to count Fleming as a reader. 'We're delighted to hear that Rep. Fleming is a regular reader of America's Finest News Source and doesn't bother himself with The New York Times, Washington Post, the mediums of television and radio, or any other lesser journalism outlets,' he said in a statement."

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

The newsticker for that clip included "Andy Dick To Play A Drug-Addicted Pervert In New Reality Show." Another kick to the Dick!

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Chick-Fil-A Debuts New Homophobic Sandwich: 'Queer-Hatin' Cordon Bleu' Goes On Sale Wednesday

It immediately came up in "Literally Unbelievable":

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Speaking of credulous people, the "Phelps Drowns" story was all over Literally Unbelievable this week:

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
A classic video: Prague's Franz Kafka International Named World's Most Alienating Airport. There are so many funny details in the background of each image.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
And then if you want to despair for humanity, read the entries for it at Literally Unbelievable: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven.

:stare:

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

buttopticor posted:

"Take off your blinders" (from "four") is pretty good, but my favorite is actually "Mybe thisis not a true story but it says that a campaign manager of obama's was actually saying this stuff" (from "seven"). They got to the point of being skeptical of the article, but it wasn't enough to stop them from being scared by stuff that same article they said they distrusted said. :psyduck:

The fake attribution to the campaign manager is all it took to make the person believe!

I love how The Onion uses well-known talking heads in articles, making up quotes by Ezra Klein, Thomas Friedman, and so on. Last year, they had a guest Halloween editorial by Paul Krugman. People started asking Krugman why he would write for The Onion, and he had to tell people on his blog that he had nothing to do with it.

By the way, Krugman is a fan of The Onion. "We're now in year 8 of the Onion Era: the era in which Onion articles have consistently proved more accurate than the stuff you read in mainstream newspapers."

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Another simple little joke:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

I especially like the new rule for the state of Arboria!

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

tacodaemon posted:

The acting in Teens Hold Clothing Drive For Classmate Who Dresses Really Ugly was so dead-on it was almost painful at times

Those are "Meghan and Katie," recurring charaters on Today Now. Here's another: Missing Teen's Friends Go On TV To Plead For Her Release, Gossip About Ugly Classmates

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Except Onion Biden owns.

Onion Biden did destroy that whack-a-mole game in a drunken rage at Dave & Busters two years ago, so that is a blot on his record.

I had to check Literally Unbelievable to see if anyone was fooled by the Biden stories. There's no way to search, but I did find these recent ones:

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
People were fooled by a satirical Web site that isn't the Onion, for once. The much-smaller Daily Currant started a ruckus with this story: Todd Akin Claims Breastmilk Cures Homosexuality. It went over Twitter like wildfire, and was posted by Web sites as actual news.

Always check the source!

A bogus cure from the Onion: Revolutionary New Homophobia Immersion Therapy Involves Lowering Patient Into Tank Of Gays.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Bob Nudd posted:

It's a shame there's so much partisan stuff lately. It only takes a slight whiff of smugness, or indulgence, to kill the humour, for me at least.

Normally I would agree, but with Representative Akin's biology lessons and the Republican National Convention, it would be a dereliction of comedic duty to try to keep it balanced right now.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
A great American Voices: Clint Eastwood Gives Bizarre Speech.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

The best part of that is the picture/name/occupation on the last 2.
[snip]

They are always coming up with funny ones. Just going through the recent ones:
  • Offset Duplicating Machine Operator
  • Acid Filler
  • Armature Tester
  • Expeller Operator
  • Wet Suit Gluer
  • Mirror Installer
  • Clip-On Sunglasses Assembler
  • Test Baker
  • Ammonia Still Operator
  • Barrel Repairer
  • Leather Parts Matcher
  • Watch-Crystal Molder
  • Yield-Loss Inspector
  • Tire-Cord Weaver
  • Worm Picker
  • Nut Roaster
Many are real jobs, but they are so obscure.

While looking through them, I found one that I hadn't seen that had a visual joke: Mutant Butterflies Found Near Fukushima.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

That is great:

"I guess the only one of my great-grandfather's philosophies we still abide by is his idea that a business should give back to the community. That's why we started the DKM Group Kids' Foundation. It's for cripples or retards or something, and it's basically just a PR ploy and a way for us to move money around come tax time."

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

That story sometimes comes up on Literally Unbelievable.

The most common science story from The Onion that people fall for is Scientists Successfully Teach Gorilla It Will Die Someday. It comes up every week. Even now people are debating the ethics of it in the YouTube comments.

Personally, I love the dark, horrible stories. The idea of scientists using their knowledge to turn a gorilla into a depressed nihilist is hilarious.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It was the 2002 Congressional election.

Yes, it was the American Voices right after the election.

The "systems analyst" added, "The American people have spoken. And they have said, 'Duhhh, I likes chockomut ice cream.'"

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Segmentation Fault posted:

Obama's 19-Year-Old Son Makes Rare Appearance At DNC

The Onion is engineering content for Literally Unbelievable now. I love it.

So many people got suckered by this article that it now has a Snopes page: Rising Son.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Instead of the usual dark Onion stories that get posted, here is an absurd one: New Roomba Blender Makes Smoothie Out Of Everything In Its Path.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Reminds of a classic video: Domino's Tests Limits Of What Humans Will Eat.

Also, Taco Bell's New Green Menu Takes No Ingredients From Nature.

And speaking of :350:, Everyone Involved In Pizza's Preparation, Delivery, Purchase Extremely High

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
An older one: Report: 98 Percent Of U.S. Commuters Favor Public Transportation For Others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Ariong posted:

What leaked video is being referred to here?

It's referring to the leaked video from a fundraiser earlier this year.