Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

I hope that Muslim extremists understand satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
The Huffington Post has a list of times that famous people have been fooled by The Onion.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Hilarious! The screen grab:

They even added a Tehran dateline to it before copying the original story word-for-word. And now The Onion has added this to the original:

"For more on this story: Please visit our Iranian subsidiary organization, Fars."

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Sometimes on Literally Unbelievable I think that people are just reacting to the headline and didn't bother to read it. But the fact that that story was edited proves that the person who posted it on the news site actually read the article and didn't spot the satire!

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Also on the Iranian blunder, CNN has the story, which includes a quote from the editor of The Onion:

quote:

Without breaking from its farce, Onion Editor Will Tracy wrote in an e-mail that Fars is a subsidiary and has been "our Middle Eastern bureau since the mid 1980s, when the Onion's publisher, T. Herman Zweibel, founded Fars with the government approval of the late Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khomeini.

"The Onion freely shares content with Fars and commends the journalists at Iran's Finest News Source on their superb reportage," Tracy wrote in his statement.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
A new ad for The Onion Book Of Known Knowledge is up on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhnaO67xYpY

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Who Dat posted:

It's probably been posted, but this has always been my favorite.

"Should we be doing more to reduce the graphic violence in our dreams"
http://www.theonion.com/video/should-we-be-doing-more-to-reduce-the-graphic-viol,14330/

Another favorite dream-related video: Today Now! Chef Cooks 'Dream Omelet' That Came To Him In A Dream.

It features Jim Haggarty and cooking! :neckbeard:

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Similarly, This May Not Be The Ideal Moment Politically, But It’s Time To Talk Reparations. And it's already shown up on Literally Unbelievable, no surprise there!

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

On the same page,

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
They are having a lot of fun with the resignation of CIA Director Petraeus:

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

They link to the article in The Onion, so they decided to roll with the gag. I just wish that they have put more effort into it.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Isn't it against most ad services TOS to literally beg for ad clicks?

Yes, but it's a link to an ad on YouTube, not a click-thru, so I think that's allowed.

It reminds me of one of my favorites: Failing U.S. Economy No Reason At All To Stop Investing In Print Media, All Experts Agree

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

This isn't from the Onion, but China's party paper falls for Onion joke about Kim

You can't make this poo poo up.

The Onion has updated the original story: "For more coverage on The Onion's Sexiest Man Alive 2012, Kim Jong-Un, please visit our friends at the People's Daily in China, a proud Communist subsidiary of The Onion, Inc. Exemplary reportage, comrades."

Zugzwang posted:

For content, here's another great one from back then: Dog Urine Lowers Heart-Attack Risk, Say Snickering Researchers

Another great joke about scientists: Anthropologists Trace Human Origins Back To One Large Goat. 'Wait, That Can't Be Right,' Scientists Say.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
A timely story: Powerball Winners Already Divorced, Bankrupt

And a great one from Literally Unbelievable:

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

timefly posted:

That is literally unbelievable. Yes more Americans died on Friday than total casualties of WWI but you just didn't notice.

From the Seinfeld episode, "The Stranded":

Jerry: (noticing a coffee table book) Oh, you got the Civil War book. I saw some of that show. It was wonderful.
Elaine: Six hundred and twenty million people died!
Jerry: Thousand.
Elaine: Thousand! Six hundred and twenty thousand! The horror, the horror.

Some people have a poor grasp of magnitudes.

For example, 80 billion tons of garbage is meaningless to me. I looked it up, and for comparison, the entire world produces 1.3 billion tonnes of waste each year.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Totally TWISTED posted:

Video: Shocking report says even the smallest horse bite can be harmful to newborn babies

I love that they even created the journal article with accompanying images.

They put a lot of great effort into that one. And, of course, someone was fooled:

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Just in time for Christmas: The Onion's Gift Guide For Kids.

The "Mr. Mouth" sounds like a gift that a child would never forget!

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I kinda half hope the following becomes a regular running theme ala Diamond Joe:

Obama Paranoid Government Coming For His Guns

I was hoping that this story would come up on Literally Unbelievable eventually, and we finally hit comedy paydirt:

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
An earlier Onion article: NRA Sets 1,000 Killed In School Shooting As Amount It Would Take For Them To Reconsider Much Of Anything

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
A new video: Mayan Word For 'Apocalypse' Actually Translates More Accurately As 'Time Of Pale Obese Gun Monsters'

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
A video on gun control from the short-lived IFC show: New Law Legalizes Brandishing Guns At Head Level

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Russell Crowe Praised For Stunning Portrayal Of Man Who Cannot Sing Or Act In 'Les Misérables'

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
The Onion just published a satire of U.S. gun control: Gorilla Sales Skyrocket After Latest Gorilla Attack

Brilliant.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Just announced: The Onion will be releasing an e-book on Friday, an "autobiography" of Vice President Biden. The title is The President of Vice. To promote the book, the Onion will be having an Ask Me Anything on Reddit the same day, answering questions as Diamond Joe.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

That DICK! posted:

The other time I saw him reacting to the Diamond Joe, he mentioned the Trans-Am thing. I think it is really hilariously consistent with the Diamond Joe character that of all the poo poo printed about him in those articles, the one thing he consistently takes issue with is that they get his car wrong.

From the Ask Me Anything:

Q: [Joe Biden] A Trans-Am? Ever look under the hood of a Corvette?

A: Those glorified Camaros aint good for nothing but smokin' the tires.

Q: What's this we're hearing about you being a Corvette guy?

A: I might be wiggin' out a little right now, but I think there's some imposter out there spreading bad poo poo about me. I'll tell ya right now, whatever they say nothing can come between me and my Zam.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Thanks, old white dude! :patriot:

And thank you, Google AdSense!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

I hadn't seen it before. A relevant one: Historical Archives: 14 Are Killed In 6-Hour-Long Schoolhouse Musket Shooting.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

In between bouts of contemplating moving to one of the uninhabited islands off the coast of Alaska until ads for "Identity Thief" stop being shown, I thought of this Onion article: Vindictive Movie Studio Threatens To Make 'Coyote Ugly' Sequel

It reminds me of this recent one: Nation's Movie Theaters Bracing For 'Hansel And Gretel' Being Perhaps The Biggest Hit Of All Time

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Speaking of awful puns, here's a report from their IFC show on medical marijuana:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLlhQmDLazs

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
One of my favorite Kelly cartoons:

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
This just in: Vice President Biden has announced that he is not running for the papacy. I immediately pictured a Pope Diamond Joe.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

I thought that that would be a link to The Onion, but holy poo poo, it's real.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

The Crotch posted:

As far as articles go, my standing favourite is I Don't Even Want To Be Alive Anymore by Rush Limbaugh.

A classic video: Victim in Fatal Car Accident Tragically Not Glenn Beck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-faCh8BUEts

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

One of the news-ticker items: "Pope Announces Harebrained Plan To Lose Virginity Over Spring Break Trip." Maybe that's the reason Popes have never been allowed to resign: Danger! Contents under pressure!

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

It is similar to this classic: New 'Anti-Abortion Pill' Kills Mother, Leaves Fetus Alive. It still pops up sometimes on Literally Unbelievable.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
The latest Kelly:

It figures that he would be one of those assholes that grab fistfuls of coins from the penny tray.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Nouvelle Vague posted:

I thought what they were going for is that she's clearly not or we're supposed to find it ridiculous that people would say such a thing?

Of course it was. I am reminded of Sean Lock's rant about horrible acting by children on The Big Fat Quiz of the Year.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Ariong posted:

Dude, they called a child a oval office for a joke that wasn't very good. It made people uncomfortable. That's why they are upset. Why are you being so indignant about it?

Who's getting indignant?

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think it almost would have been funnier if there never was a tweet and they just issued a lengthy apology implying some crazy things over something that never happened.

"We would like to extend our sincerest apologies to miss Wallis, as well as to that poor dog. We understand that sometimes jokes go too far, and we are deeply sorry to all the people on the red carpet who had to change gowns after this regrettable incident."

They do this sort of joke all the time in the corrections section.

Some recent ones:
  • Last Sunday, this paper ran a story about dream kitchens. It should have been about the cyclical nature of the homelessness problem in America. The Onion regrets the error.
  • The misspelling of the word “hibiscus” in last Sunday’s Home & Garden section was not a mistake, but rather part of a sprawling logic puzzle that has been running in our newspaper for 30 weeks. The Onion will not apologize for challenging readers’ mental dexterity.
  • We would like to apologize for stating last week that The Onion is “bigger than Jesus.” What we meant to imply is that The Onion is more important and influential than Jesus, not that our newspaper is in any way physically larger than He was. We regret any confusion.
  • Last week's food section included a recipe for meatless chili, but it turns out meat is pretty important for chili not to taste terrible. The Onion apologizes on behalf of all vegetarians.
  • Our random quote generator once again selected an excerpt from a speech given by murderous Ugandan dictator Idi Amin for last week's "Words Of Wisdom" sidebar. The Onion apologizes that this keeps happening.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
The Onion's coverage of the Academy Awards reminds me of this article: Teacher Of The Year Awards 'A Fashion Nightmare'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
The Onion is right on top of current events again. Bob Woodward has just claimed that the White House threatened him over his coverage of the budget sequester, but the "threat" turned out to be nothing. The Onion now has this story: Anonymous Source Informs Bob Woodward He Hasn't Been Relevant In 40 Years.