Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I've been playing on Aradune and enjoying it. Hit 50 on a SK (Fliss) and working on Greenmist to keep myself busy.

After playing on Selo then FV for awhile everything feels so slow. At least the population feels solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

koreban posted:

Aradune is probably better than Rizlona at this point. Being in Velious, there will still be leveling going on, especially as people ramp up for The Deep PL crews. Rizlona has a high boxing population, whereas Aradune is limited to 2 logins per IP, so no more than 2 boxing, which was meant to encourage social interaction.

They’ll be in PoP in a few months and you can have the whole nostalgia kick that comes with it. I’d stay away from Agnarr entirely.

If you want the guided post-PoP experience, Mangler is still quite healthy with a decent leveling population still. We’re mid-70s era, where GoD is trivialized, Omens raids are for gearing alts now, and Depths is 7 weeks out. I brought up a Druid alt about 3 weeks ago and it’s basically peaked on pre-dkp gear, so I need to wait until my guild moves off raids to start farming those for incremental upgrades.

On Aradune PoP is over 5 months out, we just hit Velious. 2 more months of that and 3 of Luclin.

This does give plenty of time to level to 60 though.

Newbies zones are quite busy, especially Field of Bone or anything around Unrest.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Reindeer Flotilla posted:

Understood, and thanks for the info. I’ll roll over to Aradune.

Next question - do I need to box to be successful/viable? I’ve got two systems I can use, but I’ve never been very good at trying to run two characters at the same time. Is there a good combo where the second character is basically a heal/buff tagalong? I’ve heard both good and bad things about MNK/SHM, and everyone raves about ENC/CLR, but I’m not sure how active each character in the pairing needs to be to be effective.

You don't need to box. Concentrating on a single character is totally viable as long as you are willing to group. This is what I usually do.
Any non-pure DPS class of course will find an easier time getting a group. (and monks are in demand either way)
Tanks, CC and healers are always bread and butter classes in demand.

Enchanter / Cleric is godmode through POP, after that charm is less usable. You need FAST reflexes our the chanter will squish frequently though.
During the POP era though it's literally the best thing you can do.

Monk or Shadow Knight / Shaman is amazing as well.

Druid is not a bad 2nd box choice either, since it drastically cuts down on travel time.
I have a good friend that did druid/mage a lot and it worked, at least through the pop/god era.

I'm currently figuring out which to level as a side account for my SK main, it's either a shaman or bard. (Bards are good boxes as well)

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

or maybe Oggwhomp for a weapon or a potion or whatever if they're brave enough.

I can now say that this is an understatement.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Keep coffins in the bank!!!!

My partner has been enjoying the group content, but keying isn't exactly the greatest. She's learning a lot in the new guild too, which is great. But the bazaar fuckin sucks and the race to the bottom that happens fuckin sucks.

The good news is keying mostly stops here. Next expansion you can look forward to few key hassles and merely dealing with invisible flags that will completely block your progression if you miss any. Oh wait, you can get piggybacked in via the mercies of your guildmates that have all the flags, but will be reliant on them.

At least it's 'don't miss any raids the first time through' over 'farm 10 shards, an orb, a rift, etc'.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

One in the Bum posted:

Several in my guild on live can't make it through no matter how hard they try. I think it's their playing in 1st person view. Not that it's impossible to make it in 1st person, but combined with their being bad at eq, they just don't have a chance. We have to arrange a port for them every time we raid in WW.

Huh. I almost always play in first person view. The swim through SG is only bad if you are squishy and get stunned multiple times by the fish.
A good chunk of the classes have some form of DA effect and just one of those will get you through effortlessly. Once you are over the waterfall a simple invis potion will get you to WW.

Unless they are the type that don't carry invis potions and expect it from others. In that case I hope the fish eat 'em.

After 20 years I don't understand why people still fear that run.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

koreban posted:

This is a mild inconvenience for PLers. The enchanters were always out of group anyways
You used the wizard dps to PL the other 5 players. This’ll cost them an extra krono or two a month for the exact same result they’re already getting.

And if the market is the same on Aradune, it’s a krono for 2 hours of PL per character. So your standard 2 hour block is worth 5 krono. Farea usually does 12-16 hour days. So 30-40 krono per day, 20+ days a month... extra boxes aren’t a big deal.

Screws enchanters soloing boss mobs from classic through PoP though.

Corinav's event uses AE stun too from what I remember. Hope a guild has more then a token enchanter or two.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Baconroll posted:

He looks like he needs a Fedora.

He probably had one but some adventurer soloed him 20 years back and stole it.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Shm + anything melee works well. Bard is maybe a little meh. Ranger isn't quite tanky enough. But they all work. Shaman rogue gets interesting once you've got torpor and the shaman can hold aggro. Shadow knight, warrior, paladin all come with the bonus that all you really need is dps and you've got a group, especially kunark on.

Enc/clr is good and you can just solo everything forever, but enchanter can be a boring class in velious and beyond. And everyone will always value you for your cleric.

Druid / Bard still seems fun/interesting, but people hate druids so ymmv.

Enc/Nec was fun at level 20-40. Fear kite with charm pets outdoors, charm two pets in dungeons, felt very strong, but Nec/Nec might just be easier to play.

I had a Rogue/Shaman buddy on Selo that consistently put out great damage on raids (he ways had the good buffs of course). I did a lot of Depth of Darkhollow instancing with him as well and that was a fantastic combo all around.

Druids come down to the player. One of the druids I've known I'd take over most clerics for healing because she knew her class inside and out.

I'm sure I'll be on Mischief and I'm trying to settle on Rogue, Wizard or Druid because I've played too many SKs and Monks.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

schwein11 posted:

Can gnomes be shadowknights when the server opens? I know they couldn't originally in classic.

Normally no. You will have to wait several expansions for that. Same with Halfling Rangers/Paladins.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Origin puts you directly next to your classes initial Guild Master.
A lot of class/race combinations have Origin spots that put them very close to a Book for getting to POK when PoP activates.

For example, Human Monks from Qeynos have a very fast run to the POK Book.

Hey, Gate potions are expensive!

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Not only do they have a book in their newbie/guildmaster zone, but also a major wizard spire you can take to Luclin.

Problem is you have to be an elf.

The exact opposite would be Dark Elf. Especially clerics and rogues. Hope you like running through three frickin zones to get anywhere.

Kalas fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 13, 2021

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I’ve been using Microsoft Garage Mouse. It works well and is free. The one thing I don’t think it does is have dedicated specific key to specific computer options, but the mouse/keyboard transitions to multiple screens very well. I’m just using a 2 box setup so I don’t need anything too fancy.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

BGrifter posted:

So for those of us new to TLPs, when does Mischief launch? Is it one minute after midnight or a set time on the 26th?

After a week of playing around on the free servers I think the plan is to go Druid to start for a couple months. Then maybe I can add a box or two once I’m more comfortable. Kite a few mobs, charm a few aminals and smash em together, maybe make a little plat.

Is the overflow server worth considering at all? I’m guessing it’s population will drop like a rock once the initial rush on Mischief dies down.

I doubt Daybreak knows when the servers will be up.

Big guilds seem to be splitting between the two servers. I think it's going to be less of an overflow server and more of a 'option #2' server.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Servers are visible but locked. Lets hope it's not the shitshow Aradune's launch was.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Xeras posted:

First time, eh?

I was in the EQ beta.

Server's up! Average wait time 1m, I will only assume this is short for '1 million years'.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
After 90 minutes sitting in the server login queue I get dumped out. Now that's the EQ experience I came for!

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

BGrifter posted:

It’s wild that people are raiding already. I’m excited to hopefully hit level 20 Druid tonight to get Tracking.

Still having an absolute blast! Nostalgia overload running around the Karanas. My only gripe so far is that Freeport looked weird.

The highlight of my SK's time on Selo was doing the Epic Request and getting to see old Freeport.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

koreban posted:

We do it now during TSS for Oblivion in Sunderrock Springs. It takes something like 35 people to force the pick to spawn.

Relic used to not spawn Porthio in picks, and had no AoC, which was how we camped 70+ people in the zone for a couple of days to ensure that all the guilds on Phinigel had a chance to progress in PoR. It was changed a few weeks later.

I could definitely be wrong about Rathe Mountains not having picks, but I’ve seen 55+ people in zone and no picks available, and I know of no other zones with that sort of threshold to open a pick.

Some zones just have crazy high population requirements for spawning picks.

On Selo a guild paladin was going crazy trying to get the Lich to spawn in Everfrost. I think the eventual solution was for someone to start advertising 'GM event in Everfrost' at the same time LDON launched.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I don't use VMs to play EQ but I've had plenty of guildies say it's a cat and mouse game of VM detection and anti-detection methods. There's always a new way to spoof it till Daybreak cracks down on it.

I use a cheap Intel NUC for my 2nd box when I can be bothered to play two account at the same time. I don't like boxing, but having a pocket druid is a really useful tool.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I love Thornblade so much. It's not as packed, there's assholes, but I haven't had a lack of groups and ran into a ton of good people to populate my friends list.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Any of the Monk experts in the thread mind giving me some tips to twink out an Iksar Monk alt on Mischief?

If EQitems is to be believed there’s lots of good stuff on Mischief for less than 1k plat. I could pick up Whitened Treant Fists for 500-1000pp, Robe of Living Fungus for 50pp, etc.

I also probably need to spend a little time learning about Haste gear beyond “FBSS good, CoF better”.

Any tips are welcome! Won’t be rolling the Monk for at least a week or two while I try to get enough Krono together to fuel a second account, but that gives me lots of time to shop for bargains or even farm stuff myself.

You want 3 things really. A Fungi Tunic, a haste item and a decent weapon/pair. Imbued Fighter Staffs are 2hb lightweight and 38/40, Stave of Shielding 1hb are 17/28.
FBSS is 1kr or less, COF is still 10+. Get the FBSS.

Really, if you are looking a Krono or two level budget, you need a fungi tunic. Anything else after that is just icing on the top.

You can get a set of Wu's cheap, some hp/ac rings and fill out other slots as plat allows.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

MF_James posted:

Having fun so far, been a LONG time since I've actually played, ran SolA->SolB->LGuk, think we're gonna do The Hole and then karnors/seb, though I'm not looking forward to getting the seb key without a tracker... might end up having to pay someone to do it lol

Trakanon idol is tradable and goes on the keyring. I bought one for 200p on auction.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

MF_James posted:

For monks, don't you forgo a weapon at like 35 or something as your fists are always better?

Haha if you have your epic. Normally a level 35 monk would have 17/38 unarmed. A Stave of Shielding is 17/28 to give you an idea.
Level 35 is when you can MQ the epic, and based on the prices of individual parts I can't imagine this would be less then 30-35kr on Thornblade.

http://eqstats.net/Misc/MonkFists

At 60 a monk's unarmed is 23/38, and the epic sets the speed at 26 which is why monks are damage gods through Velious.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Are there any weapons notable for high threat generation? In groups I want to keep it low of course, but it’d be nice to have something in my bags for duoing with my Druid.

Sticking a wulfanite augment in a weapon will give it a stun/dd proc, and any stun is big agro.
They come every 10 levels from a vendor in any race capital city and can be removed. They are tradable on FV style servers which removes some headaches.
They are lore, but you can use say a level 20 and level 30 augment for dual wielding. They are fairly cheap with the level 50 top end version ~500-600p.

Monks have no direct threat snap, but are good at a constant generation. On raids they will shed agro via feign death to keep from getting splatted.

Most 'threat' weapon are going to have stuns built in, and having an augment proc and the internal proc will help. Those tend to have high level requirements for the internal procs.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Sorry, I should have specified I’m on Mischief so TLP Kunark era. No augments till I think LDoN?

In unrelated news it’s amusing sitting in EC seeing a half dozen people spam “WTB Krono 6800” then suddenly followed up by a “WTS Krono 6500”. Tons of people transparently manipulating pricing on AraduneAuctions by having their boxes shout WTB at a high price, then WTS at a still inflated but slightly lower price. Or they do the opposite and spam an absurdly low price for an item and ignore anyone who tries to buy it to drive down the price. It’s rapidly making AraduneAuctions worthless.

Nope, those are in right now. Just use find for 'melee augments' in a city.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Whereas my ogre SK can now use Shroud of Undeath to be tiny instead of holding onto a valuable Guise.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Faceless, That's EQ Baby, Bloodthirst, Cowboy's & Camels... I've seen a bunch of assholes there, and I've seen a bunch of friendly players as well. In every large group of people you will find both types in quantity and the fact that these guilds are so big on the TLPs, the numbers involved simply means you will see lots of assholes with those guild tags.

Half my friends list on Thornblade are in C&C. Several ex-guildmates from other TLPs went there and not a single one has said 'don't come here'.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Floob posted:

I am enjoying Mischief still, but I do need to find a guild soon. Too much losing out on camps as boxers roll through the area. I figure if I can be part of a group that will happen less often.

Oh no, that will still happen if you are in a guild. Hell I've seen random Cowboy & Camels group members go 'poo poo' when a box army of his own guild zoned in. They rolled over our camp without hesitation.

Unless you have extra members sitting outside the group to concentrate the DPS, a boxed army will almost always win.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Floob posted:

So far there has been just one occasion where I was able to out "rear end in a top hat". A lower level guy came into the zone and ran into all of the mobs I was camping, to gather them up while I was sitting there medding. He was relying on his buffs to keep him alive, and since he was also relying on his damage shield to kill the things, all I had to do was out damage his lovely attempts to do damage. One properly placed nuke, and I got credit for all his kills. After trying that 3 times, he ended up leaving :)

Sounds like someone who didn't understand how damage shields and kill credit work.
This person never PLed people as a druid/ranger or shadowknight.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Floob posted:

I always loved that zone. Strange I haven't been there yet on this server. I think the expectation it's full and probably crazy has just kept me away.

On Thornblade we had many picks of Unrest. Many many picks. That ghost at the basement dropped quite a number of Guises.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Floob posted:

Hmmm, my other gaming rig is down in my office, so I would need some kind of virtual keyboard. I guess for what it would be doing, I could just use a couple micro computers or laptops. I have some of those lying around.

I use Microsoft garage mouse software to run my two boxes off one keyboard/mouse. It lets you pan across screens over the network and runs quite well. It's free. I understand there's a few other software suites that at least as functional or more.

I use a cheap intel NUC for my 2nd box when I'm in the mood to box.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Anarch posted:

Well the Sleeper was awakened on Mischief. I don't know the specifics other than a Thornblade guild transferred over to release him and are transferring back. Smart move to monopolize Warden loot between the servers, but sucks for everyone else.

Which guild was this, I need to resub to give them a high five. This is a new level of screwing with people.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I guess I still need a group of 6 though?

If you have two accounts you can just make a bunch of level 1s or whatever and fill a group. They don’t need to be online.

I did this all the time on Selo so my SK could farm tons of bosses.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

LuckyCat posted:

I got bored of Guk and headed to Unrest. Got fast levels all the way to 26 where it has started to slow down quite a bit. Where should I go next?

Unrest basement will take you much further, but it's super contested and can't supply more then one group.
I assume Guise has been nerfed at this point so there may not be a 60 perma sitting on the level 35 rare's spawn point.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Yiggy posted:

Been doing a lot of tipt runs this past week and then prior on test we had some practice runs and those chanter pets are really hard to keep alive without complete heal and even with complete heal the mobs in there can drop a chanter pet in the time it takes to fire off a cheal if it catches you off guard or you start casting too late. And they out DPS and pull agro off our time-geared tanks and monks, easily.

From what I remember, the best Tipt crushing group I've seen in era was my SK tank, chanter, shaman, necro, 2 beastlords.

With the beastlords doing paragon and the necro doing a bit of pumping we never had to slow down whatsoever.

We did replace a pet here and there but we had so much going on it didn't matter.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

koreban posted:

Charm, snare, taunt. You can win in Tipt as long as you have those 3 things.

Boxing Tipt yourself is a different matter. You have to be super careful if you’re using a charm pet while boxing a group yourself.

Conventional method would really want to have a Warrior or Paladin for the Kyv Heartstriker. He hits like a motherfucker compared to anything you’ve seen in PoP. Paladin needs to be rolling LoH to hope to stay alive. Full defensive AAs are a must.

SK's HT will do half the work on the Heartstriker, it makes the fight a LOT easier since it cuts down the duration. Pally tank with a few SKs would be the comedy option, though it's hard to pull agro off a crit HT with the rolling DOT.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Trying to decide where to go and what to do for my beastlord. Currently on Thornblade but it seemed less active then Mischief.

I could move one character over with a buncha stuff, I do have a 60 SK and a druid in the 50s for leveling the upcoming BST.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Floob posted:

From what I keep hearing Mischief might be busier, but we're also only on Velious, so maybe more compressed? I didn't even realize Thornblade had Beastlords already. Do all of the rules need to align when you do a transfer on these custom servers?

They aren't, why I said upcoming :)

I skipped Velious but Luclin launch is coming near.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

BGrifter posted:

lol Krono comfortably over the 50k mark today on Mischief. Snagged a Yelinak’s Talisman for 7.5k in the bazaar. Server still rules.

Whipped up a Shadow Knight last night and spent a few hours in Unrest getting him to 20 with my Druid tossing Thorns/Regen. Fortunately my level 20 SK no longer has to suffer with a garbage haste item like Cloak of Flames and can upgrade to Yelis. I wouldn’t want to handle the rigors of level 20 content with a meager 36% haste item.

The joke being you are capped at 10% worn haste till 26.