Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

my friend got me back into the game for this new server. Having a hard time picking between bard, enchanter, shaman or druid. Any advice for race/class and early leveling spots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Is there a serverwide goon channel set up?

just checked the OP and found this, I'm a 48 enchanter on agnarr and set it to autojoin feel free to hop on and ask if you need any help or starter items

quote:

All goons, regardless of server and guild, are invited to join the serverwide goon chat channel, in which all goons primarily chat, even those in the guild. To join it, type:

/join serverwide.gchat:fygm

To set the game to automatically join the channel upon login, type:

/autojoin serverwide.gchat:fygm (to autojoin multiple chat channels, type several channel names, comma-separated)

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Doggir posted:

Just heard Agnarr went into Kunark (when I started playing back in the day) and decided to sub; how do I into play with goons?

I'm off and on different characters but if you see Librarian or Talking in the server wide goon channel hit me up for Free Stuff.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

new Agnarr people join the goon serverwide chat channel:

I'll toss free poo poo in your direction just ask Librarian or Talking.

Double xp weekend starts today at noon PST. Come bash rats and then more rats and frogs probably

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I've seen a few in a guild called Ganges Goones or somesuch but I don't think there's any official one. Come join the serverwide chat channel by typing

I'm seeing more folks in there on Agnarr, come stop in and ask one of my chars (Librarian, Talking, Sabado) for some free poo poo and I can make and parcel some jewelry to you.

I've been having a ton of fun soloing as an enchanter in the Hole. I leveled from 53 to 59 in there just screwing around exploring and still haven't covered the entire place. Anybody on Agnarr in the mid 40s and up is welcome to join and get some okay xp/loot while exploring a badass zone. You'll also probably get to see a gnome get pasted by a golem breaking charm repeatedly with 70% 100% (I've started giving them a robe with 30% haste that seems to stack with my buff) haste on

Solarin fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 18, 2017

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

FranktheBank posted:

Haha, no, he's someone else. I'm the complete opposite, Frankdabank, the Erudite Pally.

Whoever is the Librarian, you're the best, thanks for the rezzes in Hole last night.

that'd be me and I'm glad I could help. Thank you for the clutch heal when I was at 10% and my charm wanted me dead real bad.

Anyone know how camped the open world fear/hate planes are now? I've been wanting to go try and solo there as an enchanter and get some blue diamonds and such

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The pace on Agnarr feels perfect to me. The levels fly by when grouped and in a good spot, but solo is decent enough for classes that can do it. Though the xp loss from dying hurts real bad when you're soloing, especially in the 50s.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Are the bottlenecks on the enchanter epic still going to be camped to bejesus mid-late velious? When does it become less of a shitshow?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

wonder if this is why the resident idol farmer in the Hole on Agnarr was mysteriously absent yesterday

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

isn't Gann one of the possible summoned pet names?

I'll see if I can catch him online and set him up with some jewelry if he needs any. Or take him on a tour of The Hole, I've been living in there for a few weeks now and still have fun hunting there

and yeah you're kind of an rear end in a top hat but EQ has its own rhythm that is unlike more modern MMOs so it's got some novelty still, and leveling on Agnarr is fast with lots of people to group with

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Anybody want to explain true box servers and VM? I understand it's against the rules but this being Daybreak I also don't see them jumping to ban people who are paying for multiple accounts. I'd really like to not buy a whole loving computer just to screw around in this ancient game, any suggestions on where to find more info?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Essential posted:

I decided to roll a Mage to box with my Enchanter, that sound like a good idea? My thought was dps, plus pet for tanking/off tanking. I"ve pl'd him to level 22 so far and have been enjoying the playstyle.

that is a great pair for churning through easy content where you can survive without heals. Malo is a huge bonus for charming. If you need to heal your charm you can use mez/mem blur it out of combat to regen 30% of their life per tick

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

The UI is the same between live and TLP as far as I know.

My take on your question from playing on Agnarr:

Solo viability comes down to class and how fast you expect to progress. I soloed most of the way from 45-60 with my enchanter and liked the pace. I think warriors would need great gear and a mix of proc weapons to be decent soloers. Even then a death can wipe out potentially hours of progress while solo

Tanks have an easy time finding groups at the main leveling dungeons and an easy time starting your own groups if you want to go to a less busy spot

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Equality posted:

I just started on Agnarr after getting the MMO bite again. In as Ignatz if anyone has some old monk gear collecting dust in their bank or if anyone else wants to get in on this grind with me! Iksar master race of course!

Sent you some jewelry and a monk friendly rat bashing stick

Also Agnarr is on Velious with Luclin in 5 weeks or so. Population is still pretty decent and there will probably be a good boost in leveling people when Beastlords are available

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

post your name when you make a char and I'll parcel some free junk

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Dennis McClaren posted:

What does it mean under stats when it shows my AC as something like 340 + 358 and same with ATK where it's like 125 + 145 ?

What's the difference between the two numbers?

i believe on AC its mitigation (chance to take less damage) / avoidance (chance to avoid a hit) and attack it's offense (chance to do more melee damage) / accuracy (chance to land a melee hit)

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

How worthwhile are AC debuffs for small melee heavy groups? Been soloing with my enchanter where my charm pet does 99% of my damage and use Cripple off and on with no real clue how effective it is. Also does debuffing a mobs agility reduce its AC/avoidance like it would a player?

This is on Agnarr so it's before the debuff lines that take a % from avoidance or whatever.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Rasczak posted:

What's up guys, I recently got back into this and am currently a 28 HE Bard on Agnarr. I have a quick question: I haven't played since Velious and it turns out I need someone to explain to me as if I were a simple child why most of my armor is not giving me benefits/AC despite being equippable. Several pieces have yellow backgrounds/red names and near as I can tell give no benefits when equipped, and it's mostly just small bronze/small ringmail. WTF?

looks like your question was answered already but I just leveled a half elf bard on Agnarr and have some old stuff you can wear for real and get precious numbers from

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

speaking of rogues, does poison have any real utility in the eras Agnarr goes through (in groups or raids)? Is it expensive to use regularly?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I use GFYS and suggest you all do the same

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Just curious, how many goons are still bumping around Agnarr? Ever since Luclin I've been too non committal to pick a main and get some AA points so I'm just rolling more alts.

Latest is a rogue and it's my first pure melee class and more fun than I expected. Has anybody here soloed much as a rogue? I noticed you can sometime strafe through a mob fast enough to land a backstab before it turns to face you. Curious if it's possible to do consistently if anyone has any idea what the trick is. Also looking at poison and wondering if the AA to speed up the apply time makes them worth a drat?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Holy poo poo, clicking from bags??

Also the new server sounds good to me, but haven't experienced the phinny xp rate to know what it means when they say 'phinny after Feb 2016'. I will probably make one char there compared to the dozen alts I've been enjoying on Agnarr.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Eat poo poo rogues!

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

Seems like nerfing a pure quality of life item that require a ton of faction grind to earn (has been around since always?) is a pretty lovely idea.

I might make a bad decision and roll on the new server once, I've always wanted a rogue or necro. At the same time I wonder how bad of a time it would be to just 2box / duo with mercs through classic zones till I got bored on a live server with mercs. Leveling is really the best part of the game, and I always burn out of EQ raids real fast.

If you have access to charm or undead charm the quest becomes completely trivial. I just went and did it for the first time on my enchanter. I walked up, charmed the foreman, handed him a jade and was done in 10 seconds. Still it's a really dumb change considering how long travel time crossing kunark zones already is.

I think I'll make a character on the new server but also think I'll burn out fast on the slow xp rate. Also the crowding in popular zones is a real shitshow when the server is busy and limited to classic. I'd probably make a druid just so I could make groups and port people to unpopular dungeons for leveling.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I was thinking of doing enchanter/druid because I have grown addicted to the power of enchanter and resent its absence. May be able to power through a slower xp rate by working in zones I can double charm. Really considering adding in a Mage since I have another account to use but god drat that class is boring. Just thinking about mages is boring

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Avenged posted:

So i'm looking for some old school EQ nostalgia, hated P99. I tried Phinegel when it was in PoP and enjoyed it but the levelling was pretty slow going.

I'm debating whether I should start a character on Agnarr or wait for Coirnav. I loved PoP, so I'm pretty okay with the idea of progression stopping in that era. How's the exp rate? How's grouping in the lower levels on Agnarr? What do people think the longevity will be like for Agnarr? I'd hate to hit raid readiness and then have no one to play with.

Agnarr leveling is apparently much faster than Phinny. There was a big surge of new players when Luclin hit and a ton of Beastlords alts being made which seems like it's tapered off by now, but still not a bad time to start.

I'd suggest jumping in to Agnarr now and make a character on the new server in a month to see how you like it. Being limited to just classic content really isn't as fun as it sounds on a busy server.

If you decide to roll on Agnarr post your class and name and I can set you up with some starter stuff

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

xZAOx posted:

The leveling is quicker now on Phinny, but we're obviously way past PoP. We got an increase in GoD.

Agnarr exp rate was good, from what I heard. Longevity-wise, all anyone can do is speculate. There's still PoP and LDON to go there, but obviously interest will die down. I'd say 2-3 months after LDON launches you'll really start seeing guilds start to merge into one another. So you have time to catch up and see some raids, I'm sure.

Corinav exp rate will be like Phinny is now, per their post (unless I read it wrong).

I think they said the xp rate will be like Phinny after Feb 2016, no idea what that means. Some random person said it'll b 30% slower than Agnarr is now

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

Where is Agnarr on the timeline for unlocks? I haven't touched my Chanter / Cleric there in forever but playedthrough Kunark and almost finished my Cleric epic.

Do Enchanters get that AA for permanent charm pet sometime soon / when can I learn that? I couldn't continue committing near uninterruptible hours of leveling andraiding on the Enchanter with charm breaking on a RNG.

Luclin opened a couple weeks ago and I think PoP hits late April.

Dire Charm is in and requires level 59 and 9 AA points. It's sort of a niche thing because it only works up to level 46 and not every zone has a good pet in that range

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Orty posted:

Been tempted to try Agnarr out since PoP Era was my golden era. How is the low level population, enough to casually find groups to level? Would I run into a bunch of boxers or are they somewhat rare (or friendly enough to let people join them)? Then of course, how much of an impact does krono have on the economy? Is it necessary to deal with them or can you get by without having to? On the other hand, would one krono be enough to get enough gear to start out on for a bard or rogue?

Low end gear is absurdly cheap right now so you can easily get a full set of decent stuff for like half of a krono.

The population is pretty good but leveling groups usually stick to a handful of zones. That said you have to be willing to start your own groups and be creative to not be stuck LFG for long stretches.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

One big bard change was AE kiting is no longer possible. The AE dot songs do no damage to moving targets. Be aware if that was a big part of why you enjoyed bard. Other than that I'd say give it a shot and see if it's fun for you. Overall I've found the people on the server to be pretty decent and fun to play with, and the pace of leveling is fast and doesn't feel like a miserable slog unless you're stuck LFG

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

People seem to like bard pullers on Agnarr. Selos plus their lull is drat good. CC still seems incredibly useful where Agnarr is at, especially if you don't have a shaman/enchanter strength slow.

Bards are awesome and can pretty well adapt to fit in with any group. Rogues are way more fun if you want to see big numbers though

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Are you playing with guild groups and do you use AE stuns to manage everything? I usually like small group stuff at the most so I'm sure my pov is different

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Orty posted:

Well made a Rogue and got to 7. Love doing actual DPS (though at this level Bard probably does the same). Bit boring since its just auto attack at the moment.

Would a frozen shard or crystalline spider fang be better to start out with? What should I try and grab for my offhand?

I think you want the highest max damage piercer you can find for your main hand, that will give you bigger backstabs. So the frozen shard, rabid chokdai fang or serpents tooth are all good choices. Offhand just go with the best ratio or stats you can find, and if you really care to get a slash and blunt weapon you can switch in to work on your weapon skills as you level.

Post your chars name if you want and I can send you some starter jewelry

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Orty posted:

Rosni is my Rogue and Lubeni is my Bard.

Actually had a friend toss me a krono so im decently geared, sadly friend is not playing on Agnarr. Thank you for the daggers/jewelry offers though!

Still not sure how much im feeling rogue. Got it to 13 so dual wield and backstabbing now, little more to do during fights (when the tank can keep things off me). Already feeling the group waiting as well, luckily someone picked me up to kill some crocs in sro.

Keep having people recommend me classes to play instead of bard/rogue, basically all have suggested ranger with a couple beastlord for some reason. I have never played either class and know nothing about them.

Rangers I think are melee dps until ~60 when they get those AAs that make bows good right? Sometimes they tank too?
Bestlord I got no clue, pet dps class that can slow/etc?

Just a rogue tip that is not really obvious at first - you can use hide during combat to attempt to drop aggro. Mechanically I don't know how it works but it seems really effective when it doesn't fail.

I think all the pure melee classes are dead simple in combat until later expansions. If you want a bigger toolkit then ranger is a really good choice. Beastlords are pretty niche, I would recommend a shaman over a Beastlord unless you really loved the BL concept.

You have to really work on building or finding a group if you don't want to be stuck LFG for long stretches. Being stuck there absolutely sucks for rogues, can be just completely demoralizing. Maybe switch between your two chars when groups aren't happening for one or the other. Shoot a tell to my enchanter (Librarian) if you need a hand with anything

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

FranktheBank posted:

Its mostly guild groups, but mainly my box bard aoe slows while my pally group heals for threat. and I let them kill themselves on the 100 pt DS.

Also, any of you in Mess? You guys are legit. Nothin but great experiences with you guys.

That sounds like a good strategy. What is the best set of songs/instruments for stacking DS anyway?

I have been wanting to try doing power leveling with my bard and don't really know where to start. Do you generally want a Druid/Mage DS in addition to your songs?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Orty posted:

Having tons of fun on Agnarr, currently ripping through Unrest or at least trying. Got to 24 1/2 before my group got trained by someone PLing. Then another 5 box PLer came in. This was of course after spending 30 minutes trying to find a group. Because the previous one I had kicked and immediately replaced me when I let them know I would be needing to afk (and would drop group) a half hour from then.

Server seems to be full of real winners. It might be "true box" but everyone seems to have a pocket druid/cleric/whatever. I guess that is just how EQ is now, everyone boxing?

Still, I am having fun and making ok progress on leveling. Definitely feeling the group finding boredom though. Rogue has picked up in how fun it is as well, I heard 30 is when it gets even better? Still slightly wish I made a ranger (bow attack seems fun) but too late now.

How many goons are playing Agnarr? I joined the serverwide.gchat and havent been noticing too many people on.

Yeah boxing is common, the true box limit doesn't really hinder you much when it comes to having a buff/heal bot tag along out of group. It's very little effort for a huge boost to your effectiveness at low levels so you see it a lot.

26 is a nice level for rogues, that's the point where your worn haste is no longer capped at 10%. Also as you level your total haste (worn+song or spell) cap gets higher up to +100% at 60. I think 50 is when you can get your epic and 55 is double backstab.

I play on Agnarr on a bunch of characters but have been away due to a dying PC. I have a SK at 35 I think when you get up to that range. The serverwide channel is pretty quiet, I think most Agnarr goons are busy with their guilds so there's very little pick up goon group action.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I'm going to try it out as an enchanter/shaman and see how the xp rate is

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

What is raid healing like post pop? Also what do enchanters actually do when charm becomes useless?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

Druid is for solo camping some drops, the utility of having ports without using Taxi, probably port whoring for early spell money, and PLs. I see the Druid as one of the better classic classes due to how versatile they are, even if they have less DPS or healing than their counterparts. Sure every DPS class can do more than them, but a Druid can start an exp group if there aren’t any clerics around whereas a mage can just.. well okay, get more mages and out burn the mobs before healing is needed, sure. Still kind of a preference choice though, and it wouldn’t be my first venture to having a Druid so I know how to play the role to what the group needs.

Monk / Shaman is definitely god tier Duo, but added benefit to leveling a druid first comes in having a PL box for anything else leveled, so that Monk / Shaman duo gets that much easier to level with SLN & Thorns sitting on the Shaman’s account logging in to refresh every so often. I’m an alt whore, so it seems beneficial to do the Druid first for that reason, too. I often find myself being a friendly rear end in a top hat buffing groups in newbie zones as well, so there is that.

E: great, this is my typical, ‘days before launch, rethink everything’ cycle all over again. Watch me end up as a Chanter / Cleric like I have on Agnarr just because of how OP they are together! (Note: please ensure I am dead if I do this)

They always have been in the past.

How did you like chanter/cleric? I am trying to decide which priest do pair with a chanter on the new server. I like shaman as a class the most but they don't seem to really have a lot of interesting spells before kunark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Philonius posted:

I shouldn't be surprised, but what kind of maniac pays 400 dollars for an MMO item in a 20 year old game. Just what.

basically gambling addicts, as far as I can tell