Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I played from right before Kunark was released until LDON or Gates of Discord. I was on my servers first Veeshan's raid, first Sleepers raid and progressed pretty deep into the PoP expansion before I gave up serious raiding. I was wondering, with all the new expansions and seeing how much time has gone by, if people had done anything about the Sleeper? Back in my day, he didn't drop anything, and when one guild almost killed it the GM's despawned it. I believe the GM's said the guild used a wall glitch to accomplish it.

Has the Sleeper been slain?

edit: gently caress that key quest too. God drat.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I want to resub,i just know it wouldn't be the same. I remember making my first 100 plat farming crushbone orc belts.I'd sell backpacks to lower level chars or people looking to twink.

I have a burning desire to punch ambassador D'vinn in the dick.

Thanks for that sleepers link

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Xpost for some guidance

Waroduce posted:

I've hit on forever quest recently and it def woke up some nostalgia. I raided through PoP and left shortly into LDON and managed to do Hate, Veeshans, messed around in Sleeper, didn't really do end game Luclin and did some various shenanigans in PoP. I'm not super interested in the later expansions but I would very much like to experience the raids through PoP with more of a focus on through Velious.

I've heard pretty good things about the communities in p99 but how active is it in general and how active is the Goon communities? I really enjoy the social and grouping and I'm a little worried it'll be dead trying to climb the level ladder since I'm not coming in at launch and I'll struggle to advance.

Would a live TLP be better community and living wise or p99?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Appreciate both of you! I'm downloading the client now.

I'm interested in being relevant and participating in the raids. My first romp through EQ was as a Ranger (RIP me I didn't know) and I enjoyed the experience of being a puller and kinda independent but I don't want to relive that struggle. They were also pretty trash honestly up until AA's came out.

Considering the group play I'm after and desire to raid, I'm considering Bard?

I feel like Shadow Knight and the hybrids are super gear dependent which is gunna be rough for me unless i get lucky

Druid is ok, but not great and I feel like people won't always pick them up to group

Monk is fun and i like FD but i just remember being very gear dependent and auto-attacking alot.

Chanter/Cleric is probably the best move for easy groups and exp...or mage? Necro can be fun too....hmmm.

Anyway I'm downloading the client, probably going to play Bard. Hopefully I don't have to break my fingers twisting and I can use that melody feature i heard about.

Snotty By Nature posted:

It you decide to try out Yelinak, I have a 50 Druid there and can help you get started. The true box TLPs are what you’re looking for. Not p99.

Is there a EQ goon discord I can toss you a ping on? I have PM's if you dont wanna post your ingame name.

Also, what's the shape of guilds on Yelinak? I'd like to level and raid so :shrug:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm not eating the lovely faction, lack of merchants and exp penalty for iksar though

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm going to pop on as a Bard, but I'd be open to a class change if there's anything that is generally desired by a group, some solo-ability and is a puller / generally very active in raids that is NOT a cleric as I don't want to stand, CHEAL, CHEAL, sit, look at bars.....look at bars......stand CHEAL....sit...look at bars forever and ever

e: Iksar SK is semi-tempting I never did any of the early/mid-level stuff on Kunark tbh but the lack of vendors and straight KOS for most cities would make me big sad

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 26, 2022

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm semi-tempted to box, but I've never done so and I really enjoy the social/group aspect of EQ. Even if a full group of 6 is less efficient than a group of 2-4 the magic for me is that 6 man dungeon crawl.

Trip Report:

TLDR: Logged in, played for 4-5 hours, am now level 7.

Made my bard in GFAY, dropped into the bard class house and became aware of the A key on my keyboard so as to not accidently auto-attack the NPC and get murdered.

I was overwhelmed by the channel options irt to New Players, Continent, and some other options. Not sure how to talk in them (the command) or what channel numbers correspond to what channels....and how to tell.

Some dude was LFM for a lowbie group where everyone was levels 1-4 and grinding BB. I intuited this as Butcherblock, you know me being in GFAY and all since I want access to that mezz song at level 8 and I started my run before being the highly perceptive individual that I am, that the party chat had nothing to do with dwarves but was talking about gnolls.

So I deleted my bard and re-rolled into South Quenyos which I have vague memories of from leveling a Barb Shaman at some point.

Got reinvited to the lowbie group and through great concentration made my way to Black Burrow as a level 1. Saw Frippy Darkpaw talkin poo poo as I left the zone but I was on to bigger things. Bout halfway to BB hoping I was going the right way (hug right wall, 2nd zoneline) I remembered this game had maps and I verified my direction.

Zoned in to BB with my lowbie group of 3 others. Not sure what they were but we had some healer type, a monk, and a warrior or paladin or someone using a shield and 1h to tank. We worked our way all around and through BB and had an absolute blast doing a little dungeon crawl. We eventually added 2 other guys and we had quite a nice little rolling ball of death through the lower levels but never got to kill any of the names bc there were dudes getting PL'd with some high level people on all the good spawns. Kinda sucked, but we'd occasionally catch high level druid buffs like thorns and skin like wood/iron whatever which was super duper nice.

I ended up dying around level 5 when for some reason one of the high level people decided to leave and took half the zone with them. I took the opportunity to sell all my poo poo, buy some bags, buy my songs till level 10 and went back to da grind.

One of the people I was grouped with noticed I was manually twisting songs and whispered me about melody which LMAO makes my life way easier so that was super cool.

We /friended each other and now I'm like level 7 or 8 and probably going to go back in and try to find some peoples to bang out level 10.

A couple questions:

0. I got a bunch of gnoll fangs and bits of gnoll fur or whatever. Maybe 2 or 3 stacks each....is it worth the run to Halaas to go turn em in?

1. I'm in South Quenyos which is a bit off my standard leveling path. where should I go when I hit like 10/12? I see people posting LFG's and such like 15 War LFG anywhere and I'm assuming those people have higher level chars/connections that can handle travel for them.

1b. I would be open to any advance for zone leveling path advice.

2. Related to travel, I have 0 moneies, so I'm assuming beg or hoof it are my options currently and there are no like mounts or cute fast travel mechanics I am unaware of on a TLP?

3. I purchased a Chronos bc I have more money than time, and I want to sell it in game to fund my character's travel, pre-planar gear and general quality of life. Is this viable on a TLP? I'm assuming since no Bazaar, I should Seelo's my way over to EC tunnel? What is a decent price usually? If this is against rules or something obv I will not do it, but it seemed like Daybreak is cool with hit.

3a. Related to purchasing items is there any like....items sold tracker or stuff that I can utilize for price checking or not without the bazaar?

4. What in the gently caress is up with the advanced loot tool? It's a wonderful feature and best I can intuit I've currently got it set to only pop on new items which I than can filter via Need, Greed, AN, AG and some other options. Is Need/Greed session/group specific and AN/AG is like...forever if it drops again? Is there a little guide or FAQ related to this floating around anywhere?

Snotty By Nature posted:

It you decide to try out Yelinak, I have a 50 Druid there and can help you get started. The true box TLPs are what you’re looking for. Not p99.

I'll hit you up this evening EST if you're around I got distracted yesterday :)

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Snotty By Nature posted:

Dont delete and start over haha. I have a druid that can port you all around the world and can help you get some starting gear/spells and a guild to join. Let me know your character name and I'll look for you tonight!

my name is: Waro

Thanks bud! I'll be around after a fam dinner kickin off around 5PM EST

Yiggy posted:

clicky reference if you prefer: https://www.almarsguides.com/eq/leveling/

The locus of activity on an early TLP is going to be the EC tunnel which to some extent defines the leveling path if you're using conventional groups. Many newbie zones have a corner of slightly higher level mobs that will take you to 10 when it really slows down and you have to start moving. If you want to stay outdoors and are in the west you want to work your way to maybe South Karana, which can accomodate someone til mid twenties. If you cross South Karana into Lake Rathetear, right at the zone line is a camp of gnolls and you see people group there like level 10-15 and climb the rest of the way in South K. If you go this route you can have someone bind you in the gypsy camp in north karana where there is also a parcel/merchant. I'd call this the anti-social path tbh.

For the social path, Most people probably do some variant of Unrest starting around 10-12, but it can be crowded. Easy to find groups though. You can move to desert of Ro in your middle teens to twenty or so. For dungeons Upper Guk (off innothule) or Solusek A (off lavastorm) are an option which will carry you to mid 20's and higher depending on group and patience for grinding. For thirties there are fewer options. Cazic Thule if you're in Southern Antonica is an option though I saw sparse grouping when I passed through there last week while leveling. Mistmoore had more activity but moving into the zone will require a group and poor pulling or crowd controlling will be punished. Those zones will take you to 40 or so, where you want to move on to LGuk or SolB. Ocean of Tears is an option but I wouldn't recommend it, everyone at the seafury cyclops is using eyes and is very aggressive.

If you're patient hoof it. At this point on the TLP there are tons of taxi porters though. /join taxi, ask in the continent channel, or /tell a druid you see thats high level on a "/who all druid 40 50" that is sitting in ecommonlands. The timed saved is worth the plat especially as you raise in level and the plat drops a little more easily.

Yeah this is probably (one of the main) intended purpose of krono tbh. Easiest to move on tunnel, the krono buyers/sellers usually sitting around Shady Swashbuckler in center of tunnel cave. You should expect the price to increase over time on early tlp. People are haggling somewhere around 2500 right now, it depends on how much of a hurry you're in. I bought my last one on 6/22 for 2700, I may have slightly over paid because I wasn't interested in sitting in tunnel. But the longer you wait you expect that to edge up and occasionally jump, though it can fall again when the server plateaus population wize here in a year or two. Generally, always be converting your plat to krono at appropriate junctures that you don't need it for gear or spells.

https://araduneauctions.net/

It can be a pain to learn but advanced loot is The Way. Generally if it stacks default to always need. Most people set everything to always need and then never look at their window again until a no drop item forces them to. Usually don't get those to AN, someone will get grumpy if you accidentally loot a no drop. If you don't have good bags, be careful about setting junk that doesnt stack to AN, like rusty weapons, etc. Those will eventually be set to Never for most people.

If your bags are full and you're overwhelmed w/ loot until you see a merchant, Click off "Apply filters" and it'll stop filling your bags and your cursor until you turn it back on.

Have fun.

Omg thank you so much for all this! I'll def do the social path and I guess make the run to EC, sell my chrono, buy whatever end game pre-planar gear is floating around i can equip and than make my way to unrest and swing by GFAY to grab my level 8 mezz

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm going to target Pre-Planar and T1- Planar gear off this so hopefully its not too far off the mark, open to any feedback: https://wiki.project1999.com/Bard#Pre-Planar

I recall Bards generally needing a bunch of resist at the high end so you yourself don't get feared or charmed.

I found myself off-tanking quite a bit in my group despite not casting damage songs bc I guess what I am playing (war chant, healing) is pulling lots of aggro so I was going to target some of the basic pre-planar stuff with alot of +HP/AC. Do some bargain basement shopping for that easy stuff like the weddings bands or anything off that list thats in that 100-300 pp zone so i can kit myself out.

I should be on sometime between 8 and 9 EST for a few hours and my plan in no particular order is ping snotty, hoof it to the tunnel, sell chrono, buy whatever stuff i can swing off that list and hoof it over to unrest probly until mid teens than hitting guk/solA.

if anyone else might be around with some low level alts maybe we can do some shenanigans

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

RCarr posted:

Is the server wide channel still used?

Edit: I just started n Ogre Shaman on Yelinak. Name is Tropic. Time to get addicted to EQ again and then quit in a few months!

Maybe we can duo in ecommons or something

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

RCarr posted:

I’m down. I’m in EC right now, only level two at the moment. You gonna be playing tonight?
RIGHT NOW

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

xZAOx posted:

Just curious, are you on YouTube? I watch a lot of MMO content and it suggested a video the other day, with someone trying p99 for the first time and talking about how terrible it was, lol. The p99 sign up and starting sucked, but most of it was "lol welcome to EverQuest my dude" stuff, that was answered back in the manual, when we used those before everything had in game tutorials, lol.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I thought the character name was your user name. If it was you, sounds like you got over the hump after all!

I am most def not on youtube and I am not that guy. I am familiar with the suck (and sock) and ready to embrace it but the QoL changes made to live are pretty wonderful TBH. I know the video your talking about and was super surprised his name was so close to mine, I've never run into that before

Coming back has been pretty interesting, I remember like really random things like how to get from the druid port to EC tunnel entrance and the specific path to the bank in Kelethin. I don't recall how to interact with all the things at a UI level and I haven't even started screwing with macros or anything yet apart from /assist and the basics of Melody.

Yiggy posted:

Raid gearing w/ dkp is sort of a long game. You have to build up a solid bidding position and plan your purchases a little carefully. You don’t want to spend a whole lot of dkp on things which will be forcibly upgraded in the next xpac or two. It’s also tough in the early expansions because there is a lot of churn. There is always some jabrone w/ 15-20 dkp happy to bid you up on the low end and on the high end you never know when you’re bidding against people willing to dump their dkp on a toon that’s destined for ectunnel/RMT.

You almost want to be saving up for a bidding position in velious or luclin. And once in a solid position look for cheap buys which are usually later in the expansion.

This was helpful, I've forgotten so much about DKP and such. I'm going to aim to buy things that will let me get into Fear and Hate and just go from there. I don't remember anything about Planar/Kunark/Velious gearing tbh apart from Fungi Tunic and big ticket things like that.

Not sure what I'll be like during the week but hopefully will be able to hop on a bit and plan on this weekend as well. Planning on kicking around Unrest till late teens/20 and than probably go frolic over to Guk? I didn't realize Kunark opened so recently. I don't think any of those zones are super attractive to me right now at my current level and thirst for EXP, but maybe 30s-40s ish.

PS:
Snotty by Nature - big thanks to spending a few hours last night powerleving RCarr and I in unrest. I think I went from 7 to about 15 before I had to sleep! Thank you so much dude.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Is anyone else in the 10-25ish window? Im 15 or 16, I think RCar is 20 we could get a proper lowbie group going for some shenanigan's.

I'll be on by 10PM through midnight EST probably tonight. Same window Wed probably. Tomorrow is a little hit or miss as I may or may not get pinged to do a Destiny raid.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I am 10000% here for the nostalgia and will probably stick around through PoP

This DKP discussion has let me know to just aim for gearing for Hate/Fear and than not really worrying about it until Velious

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I quite enjoy the focused dungeon experience that LDON is, but I just don't care enough to stick around after PoP as well for it. Plus, its more of a mid range exp no?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

cmdrk posted:

god yes. Picks are ok conceptually but I've never been able to take my static 3-man crew (non-boxed) into any level-appropriate camps like MR/FP in Unrest or GY in Mistmoore on Yelinak. when I start a session on a Tuesday night at 8PM, I've got about 2 hours to play with my friends before we have to go to bed for work the next day. don't really have time to bounce between picks trying to eek out a spot to camp, much less travel halfway across the world to try another dungeon. Would love to fire up a private pick even if it's on a lockout timer or has limited duration.

I really want to do MM on Yelinak and I'm currently level 16. Rcarr is like 26 we got into a gravy train exp group last night in unrest, but he was ahead. I'm Waro in game you should friend and send me a tell!

I think I've successfully peer pressured a friend into Resubbing (Schmowboy) so I'll let you guys know.

I should be on tonight 9PM-12PM ish EST and tomorrow I'm monitoring a deployment so probably the same window.

I'm in unrest now but I'd like to get to MM at some point and than probably over to guk or something?

One of the things I'd like to do is some good old fashion dungeon crawling during the leveling but especially in Kunark around Old Seb and such to be properly geared for Velious.

Where are we at in the server progression? Is Kunark open rn?

e: I would LOVE to get a proper little goon dungeon clearing group open and it sounds like we're all roughly similar level rn. Im sad there's no goon discord maybe we can find a channel or something. Is anyone else relatively low level on yelinak? post your info!

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 28, 2022

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Snotty By Nature posted:

Yelinak kunark launches July 20th

oh wow i might be able to go gently caress around in Kunark off the rip than!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Malaria posted:

Yelinak has been weird. The overall amount of toxic players seems a lot higher than what I had to deal with on Thornblade last year.

I got to do basically all the classic raid content on Yelinak though. That's something I guess. I think the 2 month expansion unlock might be too long though. I'm sitting on a 50 druid and a 50 necro on a 2nd account. I have no idea what to do for 20 something more days.

I've basically just been doing the most toxic thing possible: givng myself brain damage killing hill giants and buying krono.

Hopefully kunark will add some excitement. But I imagine it's going to be insanely toxic trying to camp any big krono item. I want a Fungi Staff, CoS, and a couple heiro cloaks. I can only imagine how brutal that's gonna be to try to get without spending a ton of krono.

you can powerlevel us homie

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Malaria posted:

Krono is like 2600 to 2800 right now. I've banked a bunch of them.

does Krono go up or down from this price point?

I didn't quite realize Kunark wasn't open, I'm very interested in making it to at least 45ish to be able to get into Kunark off the rip so I'm considering purchasing some more to literally buy all the Pre-Planar gear I can and possibly pay for an ingame PL.

e: also AWESOME! i'll be on by 9 EST probably for 2-3 hours.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Have you considered training your competition?

This is the way

Is training specifically against rules on live? Bc back in the day.....you know....poo poo happens

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I would imagine with instances it's like a self solving problem, I'd immediately just cycle through the various instances looking for what I was after.

Are spawns synced on instances re: timers place holders etc? Or can you cycle through like 90 zones till you find the special boy who drops the Mcguffin you need

E: like that stupid turtle in Velious

E2: popping on for some UR levels

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What are Day 1 releases like on TLP's? I'd really like to be ready for Kunark to go play in Old Sebelis and such but is it just a bunch of nerds standing at a dock or next to a translocator until the boat shows up? and than you run on over im guessing? Like do people usually have pre-arranged groups or you can just go show up and /lfg it?

e: Can I use the parcel service on a TLP between myself and a different server? or no? specifically Krono

also, I don't seem to have some maps when I hit M. like Mistmoore and Butcherblock are empty maps....do I need to go somewhere to download them or something?

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 29, 2022

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Fun times last night. Unrest started to slow down and getting into basement or fp camps is annoying. hosed off to mistlemoore with my boy Schmow/oureborealiz as an enchanter and had a fun time figuring out how to duo and synergies on the fly. We had a good thing going but there was a wizard lfg so we added him and our clear rate picked up and ended up grabbing a necro as well so we had all the pets for a bit. Camped the entrance and I got deep enough to pull from graveyard which was very cool.

One pick had gy camped and those guys hosed something up and trained us with nary a shout or yell so that sucked but MM is fun and the exp is real good.

A bunch of good loot drops there too so I'm thinking of sticking around through 25-28 and see if I can't get some of the loot out of the castle for myself or my ench buddy despite him being all pimped out in Loam already due to charity (shoutout Tegridy).

I'm thinking Guk or Sol A around that 25-30ish slot for our next leveling adventure.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Had a most excellent MM dungeon crawl where we lucked into a box cleric/enchanter and procedded to chunk pull the castle in a most hilarious fashion. I was doing my best to lul/mezz but I ended up just mass pulling rooms. like 5-8 mobs at a time. Luckily Ouro was on top of all the mezzes and we had a great very solid group going. Slayed our way and ended up camping the stair room with the Usher.

Starting to con a lot of light blue/blue so probably hitting LGUK with Ouroborealis on Yelinak tonight around 7/8 EST if anyone wants to do stuff. 32/34 respectively now :)

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Where should we go at 38 and 40 for exp? We had s great lguk poop sock session but considering what's next after king and fbss camps

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Double Exp, Double the loots weeeks and poopsocking EQ has allowed me to vorasciously re-live my childhook experience and its been quite wonderful despite how lovely my sleep cycle is right now. I was up till 4.30AM EST and didn't even realize.

So yesterday Oro and I were maybe like 28 and 31ish respectively and we were a bit burnt out on MM and felt like we were going to need to move eventually anyway so we started the day off by throwing up an LFG and doing a run out to LGUK which was....fantastic tbh.

EQ still has a little of that gently caress how am I going to get there, where is this stupid thing going that preserves a bit of the sense of discovery for me despite having gorgeous 3rd party maps in my UI now.

We go out to Upper guk and had a find time figuring out our way down to LGUK but always turning right does indeed get you there eventually.

We showed up and Lguk was popping, bunch of stupid full picks up but we noticed alot of LFG people sitting around the zone line, with one being a cleric and the other being an SK. Literally not knowing any of the camps, routes, how to get around or anything , naturally I invited both of them and just said " Let's try to find a camp". We added some other casters and we just zoned in. Luckily one guy knew the way to bedroom so we followed him under the water (little concerning) and set up in what we now know as the bedroom.

As the bard, I've come to realize I am generally the groups preferred puller so despite my lack of zone knowledge I start pulling and slowly figure out my loop. Because the zone is so heavily camped, I get to wander quite far which as a newcomer to the zone does get my heart beating a little bit but I do it with the map out first in the lower corner of my screen until I learn the loop for good. I was pulling out under from rear end/sup and from exec pretty aggressively but I got to learn where those camps were while I was pulling for my bedroom camp which was pretty nice.

We poopsocked that for a while but the pulls in Lguk are SO aggressive irt to competition from other pullers. We couldn't keep the mobs coming at a good clip so Ouro helpfuly monitored /pick and we pop'd over to a new instance and immediately called rear end/sup which was very rewarding for me as I knew where that was so it was cool to see the pathing. We cleared those guys a few times and I was aggressively pulling bedroom and exec at the same time until the exec camp called they were bailing so we moved down there.

Got set up on the wall and started doing the loop, got to see a few of the rare mobs pup, 2x exec hoods, 1x of that sword, some other stuff while we were down there. I started venturing very very far (i mean i felt it was far) out into the frenzy area to pull and even up toward the king and bringing back the mobs to exec. Passed some time there and we logged off to take a dinner break.

When we pop'd back on around 36 and 38 respectively we got pinged for a Sol B group but the guy was just pulling anyone from LFG and didn't have a camp or anything going unfortunately. we zoned in and no one knew anything about the zone or where to go and people were seemingly AFK at random times so that quickly fell apart.

We pinged a boxed cleric chanter we made friends with in MM and he was camping frenzy so we joined up on him for a bit and got to do that. I think he likes me bc I can go out and pull poo poo further and more easily than he can safely and I've been chatting him up. Ouro also makes his life super easy bc lol another enchanter and more CC.

did that for a bit and had to log finally around 4.30am and level 38.5.

We're going to pop on later today and try to push for 45 hopefully so we can start doing plane stuff. There doesn't seem to be alot of leveling options for this awkward 38-42ish window pre-hole.

I appreciate the direction to Solb royal, bugs and bats and possibly the hole but am i too low for hole at 38 bard? I think we're gunna throw up an lfg and see what comes our way. Hamlord and SolB royals sound the most viable but we're very open to other items.

For SolB, im assuming invisi is good and we can use that to get to royals or whateveR?

Probably not kedge though.

other thoughts:

1. Holy poo poo is pulling in busy zones aggressive especially in guk. I'm going like a 3rd of the zone over to find mobs for my group and pulling far distances. which is fun but a little nerve racking when Its my first time in in 20 years.

1b. Pulling as a bard, should i be using like a bow? or do I primarily get by with like aoe snare, throw a dd song and book it which is what i've been currently doing. I kind of get how mezz/lull pulling works from my time in MM or at least enough to get it going rudimentarily and optimize from there.

2. Alot of eq players seem too chill as in content with like slower exp gains and to just be in a party. Ouro and I are super aggressive with the pulls (manna permitting), trying to keep a good tempo and we're very quick to be like hey we need to move camps/picks if we have a good group going that everyone is progressing out of our current set up.

3. god bless /taxi

4. What are my options for gating? should i just buy some gate potions? my origin is Quenyos which sucks rn, but gunna be good for da hole but I hate getting stuck deep somewhere without an easy way out :(

5. Building out your own lfg group and finding a camp is very annoying but spamming ooc or loitering around the zone line is annoying in a different way. Im not sure which the best approach is. Maybe just if you get a tank and healer in lfg you start your own thing. Takes alot of energy and brain noodling to put the lfg together and try to find a camp when you dont know the zone lol

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 3, 2022

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

rally posted:

What classes are you guys again? I run a cleric enc wiz crew and would be down to hit up plane of hate when y’all are ready. My crew is pretty fully geared but I like picking people up and doing poo poo.

We are 38.5 bard 40 ench.
We should be on around 6/7 est for another poopsock session if anyone wants to do alts or push together. I'd really like to get to 45ish before the end of the weekend

E: anyone have any ideas what my songs should look like for

1. Grp dps if i need to contribute

2. Duo damage? Specifically with my buddy for maybe cyclops or something? Like snare, dot, Crack song and haste for pet ? Idk

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

rally posted:

I’ll try to get on around 6 est and get something going with you guys on any combo of my characters.

My name is waro in game!

Who are your names we can ping you!

I'll be on between 6 and 7 est at the latest

Dope! Looking foward to it

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Giving the dog a 30 min walk and popping on. Would love some Goon shenanigans

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Finishing up w dog I'll be on in ten. Ouroborealis is on rn

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I popsocked today like I was 12 again and hit 46.

A good big shout out to rally who set us up at docks in the hole and we never left

38 - 46 🥲

Now onto plane groups
Ant big things I should know as a bard to not screw anything up?

Also is fear or here first/easier?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

rally posted:

Once you know the tricks in plane of hate it’s the softest end game zone ever. The red mobs have interesting aggro dynamics and leash really easily, and the dispelling chests also leash to their houses if you run away fast enough on aggro. I actually love clearing hate by myself and I love showing people all the little tricks there so I’m stoked to pop up there any time y’all want. It’s the zone I’ve spent by far the most time in. I won’t be around tonight but almost all this week I will.

Cool we can try to coordinate a thing! You giving us a casual tour of the hole was a great way to see it and not be totally stressed about where do i go? how do i get there without dying? lol. We managed to hold that camp really well.

Pulling in those areas will be fun, I'll need to watch some bard videos probably. So the Fear/Hate groups we see going are in zones broken open by raids? I wonder if we can get a port up there if we get picked up from an LFG, but getting around would probably be really annoying without knowing the camps or how to get to where they are....

e2: Hole seems like really good exp for us right now, what else is viable 46-50? Goblins in ocean of tears...Solb Royals.... hamlord in guk? I'd like to get a buffer on this exp bar so i don't De-ding LOL.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 4, 2022

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
dude nice, we really appreciate these nuggets of knowledge because it means we don't have to learn the hard way. Hate seems to be like the go to than for us first since it seems like its trying to murder you less actively.

I just google'd and saw that both Bard and Ench stuff drops from Hate so that makes our lives easier thank god!

I'll ping you on discord to coordinate this week after the 4ths festivities today.

I have a lot of googling and reading to do. If anyone has any helpful links or wants to write words about bards (or enchanters!) in PoH that would be super cool too :) I gotta find some How To Pull In Hate guides since it seems like if there's not a monk its gunna be meeeeeee

I did manage to keep a very nice exp train moving with single and double pulls for about 6 or so continuous hours last night. I did however wipe us once after a med break and a whole room re-pop'd :( but was pretty solid after that. I'm slowly learning

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

blatman posted:

what the heck is hamlord

Hand, ARCH MAGE, FROGGY LORD

Look at me, knowing things.

rally posted:

That last one might not really be what anyone but me calls it.

I like it if for some God forsaken reason I get back to lguk I'll use it

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

hotdog feet posted:

As somebody who only plays games that are 20 years old or older but hasn't really played EQ, would the TLP servers be the best way to experience the content even without any nostalgia attached? I'm basically just looking for a grindy mmo to chill out with in the evenings and chit-chat with chill folks.

Yes 1000000%

You have double exp till the 8th to take advantage of. Roll something and get to the teens.

If you've NOT got nostalgia and varying degrees of traumatic repressed memories to guide you on your EQ path might a recommend playing a Druid as your first character. The utility will allow you to slot into groups easily, port around and sow are huge QoL. Plus invisi and pretty good general mobility

I've found getting to camps at higher levels to ne difficult and often just train and get close. Die and get rez seems to be working easiest lol. 🙃

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I am big Everquest idiot who will pay foward all the kindness here but if any of you nerds play Destiny 2 I am like a Very Serious (TM) raider and can sherpa all of the dungeons and raids should any of you have a desire to see them. I enjoy giving tours of that content.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I'm idling in chat channel lljk if anyone wants a central goon chat repository on Yelinak.

I think if you want to join from another server, you'd do /join Yelinak.lljk

This is great! Ill be on evenning est

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Poopsock Weekend was a resounding success. I managed to get to level 47 which was quite nice.

Yesterday was pretty intense on the docks and I can't thank Rally enough for setting us up much like Worldstar (forget forums name, am very tired) did earlier for us.

We got on and after our LGuk session and kind of figured that wouldn't work well enough to keep us there for a long time and we wanted to be somewhere that we could level in to to really take advantage of the bonus exp. Porterhause and I were feeling kind of tentative about going out to Sol B considering our terrible experience initially but luckily Rally got on and took us into the Hole.

I'd heard quite alot about the hole on the foreverquest podcast and in my various googlings and research so I was really excited to get a look at it and start to learn it. We followed Rally and mostly just watched as he impressively sherpa'd us through the drop down into the pit and took us through some twisting tunnels, past an undead camp (not sure what the actual name of this is?) and into the docks.

We got through a solid little session and he had to bail but little did we know that the docks seems to be a pretty solid end game EXP camp and he had set us up for success. We managed to fill with like a 44 cleric who had a 50 OOB monk and scrounged up a warrior and some others and started pulling docks.

I was pretty tentative initially since I was in here pulling mostly red cons at 40 and was super concerned about my aggro radius but I rattled off approx 6 hours of back to back clean pulls before totally wiping us after a med break on a room repop much to my dissapointment. We swapped out players pretty seamlessly but getting to the docks seemed like such a huge issue for so many people! We had multiple people decline due to concern about getting even when offered a cleric rez. We had one long (20min?) break when we lost 2 but we kept it moving pretty aggressively.

We called it after I dinged 46 and a small buffer of exp.

Today we pop'd on and couldn't manage to find a group willing to take two or they were in the process of getting people without a plan. I ended up joining a slab group since I wanted to see it but I was pretty concerned about getting there after so many issues and so much bitching last night about the docks camp.

I bound myself in Ecomms (easy to get anywhere for like 10p) and got out to Toxx. I couldn't remember how to drop down the hole thing so I ended up going the normal way in down the water. I didn't have any issues squeezing through the hole underwater....do you need a key? did I get lucky? I remember reading about a Key and zoned in pretty tentatively since I had heard about gettign death touched.

When I got in the entrance was luckily camped so I threw on my invisibility (not sure how useful it is in the hole?) and meandered on down to where I figured castle entrance was on the map. That was a duo leveling and I sort of just wandered on past keeping distance. I slid by a mob or two but was relatively unmolested down to the slab group apart from grabbing a rock golem that came around the corner at me.

We cleared my trash and I started pulling but I got Lguk vibes since the pick was so populated. The group leader was pretty on his poo poo and swapped picks when a new one popd. We fought our way to castle and I invisied the group and we managed to pop that one rock golem (do they see invisi? may have been aggro) and had to murder it. Apart from that we got engaged once more near slab but slipped by using invisi.

All in all not quite the odyssey I was prepared for. I had a clear idea here these camps were from last night and it was cool to put that together and see them all. Did some EXP for a bit and called it. Pretty succesful.

Very much looking foward to planes shenanigans now and trying to get to 50-55 for Kunark but the end game exp seems to be confined to like the hole and......not much else? Goblins?

On the gear front, I got introduced to EQ Items and sold my stuff and purchased most of the lambent armor for pretty good prices and I'm feeling much better about my loadout and stuff.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 5, 2022

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What UI mods do you guys use? The standard one is working for me but I feel like I need help and some way to manage my macros and song/spell slots uniformly

And our guild we're in is doing pre-set Kunark groups which seems pretty cool to me. The spreadsheet has big boiler plate messaging about CONSIDER TAKING PTO lol. I just might do that since I rarely do.

Kunark is about getting to 55 if you haven't hit it during classic era and hitting old seb and chardok for fat loots right? Now that I have access to the planes I do want to be 50 before Kunark drops but I feel less pressure to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
If we have dudes on Yelinak bored I and Porterhause are very interested in doing a Plane group for exp and loots