Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So I think I am gonna try out the new TLP.

Haven't played actual EQ in years. I played p99 for awhile though.

Do mages/necros have the pet stealing xp thing still? It was annoying on p99 but you get used to it.

I was thinking I'd roll a mage.

Do we have enough people wanting to play to get a goon guild going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

How does multi-boxing work exactly? Are you using some software to do commands to all the characters?

I have a crappy laptop that could run EQ. Dual-boxing might be doable but kinda seems like a pain to do. What's the trick here?

Also how does krono farming work? I haven't played live EQ in 20 years. I played p1999 for awhile though. You just buy them for plat from other people?

Malaria fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 19, 2021

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So I am going to run a 2nd box in laziest way possible. I have a tablet with a keyboard dock that can run EQ just fine. It's small enough I can put it right in front of my keyboard and hit a couple of buttons easily.

What's a good combo that doesn't take a ton of button presses?

I was thinking a Mage on the tablet and a druid on my main pc. Mage seems like you could get by with just a /pet attack macro or maybe one nuke and then /sit.

Any other easy combo out there?

Monk on the pc/druid on the tablet might not be bad either.

edit: Also they are launching two TLP's at once apparently? Mischief and Thornblade? Where are you all playing?

Malaria fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 21, 2021

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Just getting up and around(night shifter), and the servers are down.

Figured I would have some issues. I still can't decide on what to play anyway :D

Probably just gonna go with a Mage and a druid.

Edit: To be in the queue for the sever do I click the OK button the message and just at the login server page or do I leave the window with the OK button up?

edit 2: I am dumb and half asleep. Figured it out!

Malaria fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 26, 2021

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Drunkenboxer posted:

I was thinking a Mage and a Bard, lacking in healing but I have done a Paladin and Enchanter in the past and not super interested in healing. Might do a SHM instead of Bard though.

Also, for the queue in the server message do you click the okay button? I couldn't find an answer googling around and so just left it open as it didn't appear to hurt.

If you click OK, then click again it says you are still in the queue. So I guess you only have to click it once then sit at the server selection screen.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Got in after about 45 minutes of waiting.

Still don't know what to play. Rolled a bard, druid and mage just to get the names I wanted saved 😁

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I tried dual boxing with my tablet and it's a huge pain in the rear end right now. Might give it a shot later when there less stress on the login servers.

I am wandering around on Thornblade as a Human Wizard named Bolt. If you want to kill some stuff hit me up :D

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Drunkenboxer posted:

I can't even log in, the launcher partially loads with dead links and if I try to log in by skipping the launcher I get a cannot connect error. Pretty brutal, definitely killed my excitement for this.

I had this happen a few times, It fixed its self by just closing and reopening it a few times.

Hopefully that works for you too.

edit: Anyone know how much regen those clarity pots in the daybreak store give? They are 90 cents. I kinda feel like they would be worth the money for soloing as a Wizard :D

Malaria fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 27, 2021

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Solarin posted:

The store regen potions scale by level in increments of 5, I'd guess the level 5/10 ones give 1/2 regen respectively. They're pretty poo poo but it beats nothing.

The store run speed potions are good though since they're full strength from level 1

I bought one. It kinda helped I guess. I grouped in blackburrow most of the night. Was just like the old days! Made it to level 8, then turned In 40ish gnoll fangs so I'm pretty close to 9 now.

I am really enjoying the TLP so far. Haven't been bothered by box squads at all. I've seen a few though.
The login issues seem to be fixed.
Anyone else on Thornblade or did you all go Mischief?

Malaria fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 27, 2021

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

They had a familiar In the store for 2 bucks that gave you 250 mana and endurance for 2 bucks.

They removed it and refunded everyone. Was fun while it lasted.

Someone killed Vox on Thornblade tonight. Surprised it took this long... I'm having a blast though at level 13

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Node posted:

Indeed. Mischief and Thornblade made it three days without being ruined. And it's the beginning of an extended holiday weekend, so who knows when it'll get fixed.

I feel like it's supposed to be random like that but currently rare stuff is dropping multiple rare items at a time. That's probably bad?

It made Rahotep a fun camp in North Ro.

Probably need to tweak the drop rates a bit, huh?

Malaria fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 29, 2021

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Rallos posted:

Hit level 50 today on my necro and managed to snag a halfling deputy mask for 6 krono. This is the most fun I’ve had in EQ in a long time. Can’t wait to see what sky has in store for us. I was in that hate raid with the spite golem loot. Was so loving wild. The forum Andy’s being like “omg server is RUINED” is just icing on the cake. :clint:

On a side note if anyone needs a guild consider joining faceless. I’ve known Kim, Zaide and mist of the officers for years. Stand up crew that will get stuff done if people follow directions. Also a lot of my OGC guildies from phinigel are there too. Dima refuses to play another TLP tho.

Are you on Mischief or Thornblade?

I've made it to level 23. I'm impressed you're 50 and raiding already.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I rerolled on Mischief because the population on Thornblade is... Not great. A buddy of mine has been on Mischief this whole time, I had no idea. After talking with him, it sounds so much more packed than Thornblade. I had been having trouble getting groups in the late 30s on Thornblade because there is only 1 or 2 picks of LGuk or SolB. Apparently Mischief has tons of picks available.

So whatever, I rolled a druid. Never played one before. I am also looking for a guild. I am off work for the next 10 days(had a family vacation planned that got sidelined by covid), so I am going to poopsock hard and try and join a fancy raid guild.

Rallos, will Faceless take a scrub like me into their ranks? :D

My only regret is I had the best name ever for my Wizard on Thornblade. Oh well.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 6, 2021

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Indecisive posted:

Yea the population imbalance between the two servers is kinda disappointing, I rolled on Thornblade also because I knew Mischief would probably be a toxic hellhole (and it sounds like it is) so glad im not dealing with that, but on the flipside there's not a huge amount of guild availability so im not sure I'll be able to find a raid guild that wants a wizard, which is what I want to play this time around.

You are basically me. I rolled a wizard, nobody wants to group, and there's barely anyone to play with. Come to Mischief. Add me. I rolled a Druid named Chungus. We can probably scrape by.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

BGrifter posted:

If you’re wanting to find groups Druid probably isn’t the route you want to go. I love the class, just hit 28, but it’s an uphill battle. Outdoors groups are actually pretty good if you’re comfortable wrangling a charm pet, but the stigma around Druids is almost as bad as the one around Wizzys.

My issue with groups on thornblade isn't that people didn't want me, it's that there literally aren't enough people to group with. From what I can tell the population on Thornblade is drastically lower than Mischief. I wouldn't be shocked if they merge the two servers before too long.

I doing druid just because it's about the only class I haven't played. I'll roll a alt at some point too.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Can you transfer characters from Thornblade to Mischief yet?

I haven't played in a bit, but wouldn't mind moving my Wizard to mischief.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I am gonna roll a necro with a druid box on Yelinak. Sounds fun.

I enjoyed Mischief for awhile but the guild I ended up in was kinda lame and I got bored. Hopefully this time works out better.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So I have never boxed before in EQ. Planning to do Necro and Druid on the Yelinak. Any tips?

I basically plan to just plop my laptop on my desk and use a 12 button MMO mouse for macros on the box druid while being able to easily reach the keyboard on the laptop for moving/positioning . Seems easy enough?

I am wondering about being stuck in classic for 8 weeks though. Where do you even solo/duo during classic from 45+? I guess I never really played just classic, I did p99, so there were more options for the late 40s.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

BabelFish posted:

How's Mischief doing these days? I'm tempted to re-subscribe my 6-box and level casually now that I've got a little time again.

I have been messing around there a bit waiting on the next TLP that comes out next week. Mischief seems like it still has a decent chuck of players on it.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

AttackTheMoon posted:

So I've never played Everquest but I've got a buddy whos looking to get into it on one of the new progression servers coming out so I figure I'll give it a shot. Anyone have any advice before I start? Which server are goons gunna be playing on?

Yelinak server opens Wednesday at noon PST. This is your best bet. It's Timelocked Progression Server. Starts out with the base game, and slowly unlocks each expansion after a few weeks. It will be the most populated server to play on, and be the best for a brand new player.

Read some guides, check out some youtube videos and figure out what you want to play.
There is no goon guild. But there will be plenty of players to make friends with and join a guild.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Queue is 2+hours for Yelinak.

Vaniki has zero queue. Oof. Server is DOA.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I'm on Yelinak, and having fun with a Necro main and a Druid box. So far so good running around Qeynos Hills and BB. I found a guild that's pretty decent so far <Legacy in Progress>. I joined their discord a few weeks ago, everyone is chill and friendly. If there are any long goons out there on Yelinak feel free to join us :) I think we are getting close too 100 members, so finding groups across the level ranges is easy.

My name in game is Morbid. Shoot me a tell if you want in.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Baconroll posted:

On Vaniki the top /barter price for Krono is currently 4550

I don't understand krono prices ever.
It's like 1500 on Yelinak right now.

Last year the price stayed pretty low, like around 2k or less until Kunark hit. Then it proceeded to skyrocket up daily.

I don't understand where the prices come from. All I know is I've snatched up a few on Yelinak and I plan to save them for awhile.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Never really raided in EQ before.

Raiding on a druid, in a decent sized guild using DKP.

Ive spent ~24 hours total in raids(3 hours a night, couple nights a week).

I've gotten a Vermiculited bracer(BIS for druids in classic). And thats it.

Any DKP bid item Ive lost out on. We dont bid on trash mob armor(like the bracer), its just a /random with everyone from that class.

Is it always this lovely for time spent vs loot? Or am I in a lovely guild?

Basically I could have spent those 24 hours in any loot camp and made a few krono. Feel like this kinda sucks.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Yelinak has been weird. The overall amount of toxic players seems a lot higher than what I had to deal with on Thornblade last year.

I got to do basically all the classic raid content on Yelinak though. That's something I guess. I think the 2 month expansion unlock might be too long though. I'm sitting on a 50 druid and a 50 necro on a 2nd account. I have no idea what to do for 20 something more days.

I've basically just been doing the most toxic thing possible: givng myself brain damage killing hill giants and buying krono.

Krono is like 2600 to 2800 right now. I've banked a bunch of them.

Hopefully kunark will add some excitement. But I imagine it's going to be insanely toxic trying to camp any big krono item. I want a Fungi Staff, CoS, and a couple heiro cloaks. I can only imagine how brutal that's gonna be to try to get without spending a ton of krono.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Waroduce posted:

you can powerlevel us homie

/friend Morbid(my necro) and Gojira(druid). I will totally help out 😁

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Porterhaus posted:

My spellbook is always open swapping around haste/clarity/resist magic and I love how active the grouping feels even if it makes it harder to go AFK for any reason.

You can right click empty spell gems and it brings up categories of spells to memorize. You don't have to click through the book anymore. I just found this out like a month ago :P

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I think I have given myself brain damage killing Hill Giants on Yelinak.

up to 19 Krono though :shepicide:

That place is filled with the worst possible people 24/7.
I don't even know why I keep doing it. Probably because there is literally nothing to do left for me in Classic. 2 months is too long.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

For classic it's just the Envenomed bolt spell. Shaman get it too. It does so much damage. Hill Giants don't have a ton of HP so whoever lands the ebolt first wins. The Hill Giant spot is 100% cancer and everyone is trying to KS everyone. But I can make close to 2000 plat in an hour. Krono is like 3100p on Yelinak right now so I have made a ton.

There is always an enchanter there who charms a level 50 Ranger mob that's hard to KS as well. Once in a while a Wizard will beat be on a HG(this is due to a wizard needing 2 nukes to kill one), but their mana regen is trash, and they can't really keep up in the long run.

I think Daybreak needs to nerf the giant spawn. It just floods the game 24/7 with plat. I can only imagine how much Krono was made by the people who rushed to level real fast and got there when Krono was like 500 each.

I played a Wizard on Thornblade last year and had an awful time. Necro has been super fun this year. Necro is great for farming, and in classic I'm top 5 DPS in every raid parse, often #1 or 2 if I can charm something.
I have a 50 Druid that I leveled first, but it's now just a buff/port box for the necro.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 8, 2022

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Sometimes being a high DPS class doesn't work out.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I ended up quitting Yelinak like a week before Kunark dropped.

The overall attitude of the server seems awful. Bot groups literally everywhere. People just being dicks in general. Kind of a bummer.

The thought of VP keying or just keying in general with the amount of assholes on Yelinak kinda killed my will to play more.

I did bank a ton of Krono. I will hopfully play the next TLP, and I hope it has Mischief type rules.

I played on Thornblade(Mischief clone) awhile last year, and I really feel like the extra loot plus free trade really kept the overall server attitude much nicer. I never had anyone try to steal camps or harass me on Thornblade. I ran in to some rear end in a top hat doing something lovely to me/my group almost every day on Yelinak.

I was in Legacy in Progress. They raid at 6pm PST 3-4 days a week. They are a nice bunch, it's a more casual guild but we did clear all of classic. I'd recommend them if you are looking for a guild.

I am sorta kicking the idea of playing on Thornblade again, but I hear the server is pretty dead. Could possibly pay for a transfer to Mischief I guess.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 1, 2022

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I think I'll give it a try.

I've played the last couple TLPs for a bit. I usually end up in some guild and the people are annoying and then I quit.

I wish we had the numbers for a goon guild.

I played in a EQ2 goon guild way back in the day and it was a blast.

I did a necro and druid 2 box on Yelinak. I got to 50 but quit before Kunark launched. Hopefully this year I stick around more. I have a decent chunk of Krono stashed from farming Hill Giants for hours and hours at least. I don't have the stomach to farm for krono like that again.

Kinda thinking of playing a Ranger. And something else to box with it.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 5, 2023

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

How do you guys manage 6 character box squads?

Do you use some software?

My first attempt at boxing was last year on yelinak and it was basically just putting my laptop on my desk and using a weird one handed keyboard I bought for 20 bucks to hit command macros on the box druid. It worked fine but it was pretty clunky.

Can't imagine doing that with 5 boxes and a main though. What's the secret?

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Ok I'm gonna buy Multiplicity then. Wish I snagged it when it was on sale during the steam sale!

My 2nd monitor(a 29" ultrawide, mounted vertically) has PBP. So I could run 3 PC's I guess. I have a laptop and a desktop. Maybe ill buy one of those little mini pc's with built in graphics. I have actually been looking at those anyway for a HTPC/Emulator PC.

Now to decide on what I want to play. I knew a dude who did Paladin/Shaman/Rogue and it worked pretty good. Maybe I'll do Paladin/Necro/Shaman.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So I got Multiplicity setup. It's shockingly easy to use.

My only problem is if I mouselook/mouse movement with holding right click on one PC, it moves the camera on the main pc. Anyone know how to stop that? I like mouse look for quick camera fixing/respositoning.

Other than that one issue, it has made boxing super easy. Probably gonna order that mini pc and get a 3 box setup together for the new TLP next month.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

BabelFish posted:

That was the issue I solved here:

Ohhh I'm an idiot and should have read the thread more. Thank you!

I'm amazed how easy it is to box with this software.

Edit: I just ordered a mini pc. 3 box is gonna happen.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 11, 2023

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Yiggy posted:

That’s why I like the manual button pressing. It seems so much simpler.

Multiplicity is literally manually pushing buttons. You just slide your mouse cursor over to the next monitor and your keyboard and mouse control that PC. Then slide back to your main PC and it's back to normal.

It's awesome.

Only thing that could be easier is alt-tabbing to different clients on a non-truebox server.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Character based lockouts and heirloom no drop loot is awesome.

I just went from "ehh, I'll probably play for a bit" to "This sounds awesome".

Malaria fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 17, 2023

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

The official EQ community cries about everything ever. They all bitched about Mischief when it came out too.

I think the new server sounds decent. It's cooler than Yelinak last year which was a total vanilla tlp.

I think it's cool the devs actively try new things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So who here is gonna play on Oakwynd?

I'm gonna join the Dargons guild. I've been hanging in their discord for a few days, everyone seems super chill and the raid nights fit my schedule.

Gonna roll a 3 box of some sort to start. Not 100% sure what yet.