Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It is for the super poop sock guilds, but there’s no reason to get involved with that if you don’t want to. There’s plenty of people just enjoying the game normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Each zone has a player threshold needed to spawn a new pick. each pick of the zone needs to be above that threshold. That's why you'll see two picks of commonlands but not to three. It doesn't really matter if you zone in all together or not afaik. City zones won't spawn multiple picks (so no neriak for the enc epic) and raid zones won't either (so no picking tov). Some zones have oddly low thresholds for spawning picks (East Wastes is 40 iirc). There's a 15 minute cooldown between switching picks. Pick system is great, but it's one of the pains in the rear end that motivates players using showeq, because it's hard to find open camps when there's a 15 minute pick timer.

Huh? 5 mins not 15

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

rally posted:

Huh? 5 mins not 15

Ah, yeah, been a while.

It's also possible to chain spawn picks deterministically with enough people, particularly in out of the way zones. My guild spawned picks of frontier mountains to get angry goblin spawns by loading FM and keeping the rest of our raid force in OT. We would spawn a new pick, send a group of four with a bard to race to the angry goblin, kill, run out, and then wait for the pick to decay and send another group in to spawn a pick. E: which is to say that picks collapse if there are too few players in the other picks.

Lots of folks also wait in EW for open world ST raids, aoc ST raids and would pick over to get npcs for late stage ring quests.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Cheesing FM picks was absolutely a hilarious way to spend the final 30 minutes of every raid through kunark. Can’t believe it worked so reliably. I still have some screenshots of us amassing 50 level 1 iksars to pop the WW picks, was a good time.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

RCarr posted:

It is for the super poop sock guilds, but there’s no reason to get involved with that if you don’t want to. There’s plenty of people just enjoying the game normally.

I'm probably gonna just take a day or two and find some poopsocker when I can, I work at a hospital and I'm just way too busy. I'm tired of being a "hero" (lol) I just want to game until the seas rise high enough to claim me

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Saw someone speed hacking on Vaniki earlier - not seen that in years. It was in an indoor zone and they ran past me so fast I clicked them to inspect their buffs expecting to see Selos. Not only did they not have a movement buff on them, they had ghoul root on them but were still moving extremely fast...

They seemed to be pulling for some bot army of enchanters and wizards. I guess they are levelling up to start farming Sirens for the pp to krono trade.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Baconroll posted:

Saw someone speed hacking on Vaniki earlier - not seen that in years. It was in an indoor zone and they ran past me so fast I clicked them to inspect their buffs expecting to see Selos. Not only did they not have a movement buff on them, they had ghoul root on them but were still moving extremely fast...

They seemed to be pulling for some bot army of enchanters and wizards. I guess they are levelling up to start farming Sirens for the pp to krono trade.

I've been watching the army's get built too. They are defiantly not doing the same thing as when they had a dedicated server admin. With the dedicated admin we watched reported bots go poof in a few hours to a day or so for edge cases. This is keeping the population slightly lower for sure.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Those won’t last long. Petition them. They get investigated and addressed.

The new automation tools are being made by a group that didn’t have the handshake agreement with DBG about TLP automation. It’s the Wild West again.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Yeah I don't think the handshake agreement is still in force though, at least based on one websites ban reports that do a lot to cut down on afking. They seem to be getting suspended just as much as the AFK farmers are.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Zil posted:

Yeah I don't think the handshake agreement is still in force though, at least based on one websites ban reports that do a lot to cut down on afking. They seem to be getting suspended just as much as the AFK farmers are.

That’s probably the case. Holly’s gone and the new regime may have a different take on it. I hear about it from the other side; people who have all of those new tools and what they’re doing with them, how they’re avoiding detection, what they did when they got caught, etc.

It’s 2006 all over again, only now the splinter group is starting an arms race against the old established folks.

Some of the more aggressive folks are heavily using the new tools.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
someone on vaniki using these tools should sell me the LR / MQ for my chardok metal pipe

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Zil posted:

The spring suspension waves targetted all third party users. We don't think it mattered which server, build, or how it was utilized.

Simply logging in made you a candidate for their "lottery". Our guess is that they randomly picked 15-25% per wave. We had a few players get hit in all waves, but almost everyone ate one suspension.

My guess is the Truebox TLP abuses will lead to another suspension wave. They'll suspend randomly again because they don't care.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah from what I was reading, the suspension seemed more like warning shots and not a necessary crack down. It was also random as hell how some lost entire bot farms and others only lost a healer or a tank in their group. Just so drat weird.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
Are tradeskills worth it? Can't find anyone selling banded mail

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Verbose posted:

Are tradeskills worth it? Can't find anyone selling banded mail

Can be, if you can get to market early enough. At certain points there are player crafted items in high demand, but it is highly contextual. Banded is worth the time to grind right after launch because you can sell three to four suits for enough to buy a krono. But a day later you’ll need to sell double that for a krono, all the while more people are getting to market and starting to undercut each other, scooping potential sales etc. By day three you may need to sell ten+ sets for that same krono and you’ll be grinding all day. It becomes less worth it, to the point by now I know I moved back to my home server after grinding banded on yelinak, it eventually wasn’t worth the time.

In luclin there is another rush to sell items for solstice earring quest. Research will have its last hurrah and then be p much useless until mechanoinstructions in DoDH. I was able to sell pop crafted stuff into GoD and then it fell off. In OoW (early, at least) it’s crafted augments, so JC, alchemy and BS.

Tradeskills also become important for certain quests that many people will try and complete. Coldain prayer shawl in velious. Aid grimmel in PoP. In cases like this, the mats can be worth farming and selling just because so many people will be skilling up for the quest.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Yiggy posted:

Can be, if you can get to market early enough. At certain points there are player crafted items in high demand, but it is highly contextual. Banded is worth the time to grind right after launch because you can sell three to four suits for enough to buy a krono. But a day later you’ll need to sell double that for a krono, all the while more people are getting to market and starting to undercut each other, scooping potential sales etc. By day three you may need to sell ten+ sets for that same krono and you’ll be grinding all day. It becomes less worth it, to the point by now I know I moved back to my home server after grinding banded on yelinak, it eventually wasn’t worth the time.

In luclin there is another rush to sell items for solstice earring quest. Research will have its last hurrah and then be p much useless until mechanoinstructions in DoDH. I was able to sell pop crafted stuff into GoD and then it fell off. In OoW (early, at least) it’s crafted augments, so JC, alchemy and BS.

Tradeskills also become important for certain quests that many people will try and complete. Coldain prayer shawl in velious. Aid grimmel in PoP. In cases like this, the mats can be worth farming and selling just because so many people will be skilling up for the quest.

You can only max out two at once right? And then the requirements get lifted later?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Verbose posted:

You can only max out two at once right? And then the requirements get lifted later?

They changed it seems like and I don’t remember the exact timeline if it’s luclin or pop but new taanan crafting mastery will let you raise all the skills to 300 with the AAs. That is prohibitively time intensive to do until later expansions with just about everything but baking, brewing, arguably jewelcrafting (tho sort of expensive, not hard per se).

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
are any of the mischief goons aware of any ongoing gdkp pugs/discords for that sort of endeavour?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Kronos are shooting up on price on Vaniki - guess the bots are kicking in !

Baconroll fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 4, 2022

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

What is the price up to?

Plat just pours into the economy non stop. I was running my mages to south Karana and passed through rathe mountains and there was a group there that had hill giant to themselves. All day. They got there in less than 24 hours from launch. With no one loving with them they can probably automate it too, but even if they didn’t one guy could man that hill. I know at one point having that hill to myself you can squeeze 10k up every few hours. And that plat just ping pongs around the server as people use it to extract krono so you don’t really see it sequestered I’d imagine until plat raids are more of a thing.

shaggy--
Nov 9, 2000
Hillary Clinton loves a winner!
Of you want to get a trade to 300 and max the trophy then pottery is the absolute easiest. http://www.eqtraders.com/items/show_item.php?item=17425&menustr=080090900000

The materials are all from vendors, thought one is in the updated western wastes. Costs about 41 pp per 100 combines. No minimum skill required so you can start trying from 1 or after the TS quests in Crescent Reach. Once you get a success just let it auto combine. Everything stacks to 1000 since the result is a trade item.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Yiggy posted:

What is the price up to?

Plat just pours into the economy non stop. I was running my mages to south Karana and passed through rathe mountains and there was a group there that had hill giant to themselves. All day. They got there in less than 24 hours from launch. With no one loving with them they can probably automate it too, but even if they didn’t one guy could man that hill. I know at one point having that hill to myself you can squeeze 10k up every few hours. And that plat just ping pongs around the server as people use it to extract krono so you don’t really see it sequestered I’d imagine until plat raids are more of a thing.

I sold one today for 1400, most people were asking 1500 from what I saw.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Ugh I've had no time to play I'm still level 3. I have a 3 day weekend coming up though, how long does it take if I play the poo poo out of it with potions. I get out of work at midnight and I'm worried I'll have problems finding groups that late.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Verbose posted:

Ugh I've had no time to play I'm still level 3. I have a 3 day weekend coming up though, how long does it take if I play the poo poo out of it with potions. I get out of work at midnight and I'm worried I'll have problems finding groups that late.

Are you on Yelinak? If you are, I have a 50 druid I can toss some buffs on. I'm usually on 8pm PST++

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

EQ1 adventure so far:

- Managed to break the quest in Crescent town where the council finally agrees to talk to you, then asks you to make banners. I can't get the questlog to actually update or give me the quest, so when I hail the tailor she does nothing. Contacted support about it, got a generic "wait for patch notes" message.

- Decided to try going to Freeport as it's famous and the original human starting town, surely it'll have cool flavor and quests, right? ...right?

Wrong! First, why is the portal to the hub teleport area in one of the outside town zones? That's a weird design choice. Second, Freeport is empty. And I don't mean of PCs (tho it's a total ghost town) - it's just huge buildings, guards who don't say anything, and rarely NPCs who might tell you things. And it's big in the needlessly big way.

And - I actually found this neat - you can tell it was a place designed for the OG game's first person POV, as insides are all full of awkward camera angles and it's very tight.

So I figured "eh fine" and left Freeport to go to the desert, and found... well, an empty desert. Lots of low level critters and not much interesting to DO there except bonk low level critters.

So again I figured "eh fine, it's meditative" and wandered south, until near the bottom edge of the map I was actually thinking I'd keep going south until I ran out of game world. But then a puma attacked me, then ran away when I got it to low health, so I chased it... into another puma. Cleaned these up, got ambushed by two madmen and a skeleton, and they all set me on fire and stunlocked me until I died.

I respawned in Crescent City.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
That's Everquest, baby!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm not even mad. It's the most authentic experience I think I've ever had, just a game that's 20+ years old looking at you and going "ah. you are not going to play me." and casually ending my session.

I'm probably gonna give it another whirl tomorrow, and try picking a different town to check out. I know Everquest doesn't have a lot of quests, but damnit, I want to do them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Plane of Knowledge stones are put outside of the city for a reason, so people that are kill on sight can safely go to a nearby zone (Commonlands, in Freeport's case) without having to run by guards.

The current Freeport sucks. It's ugly, it makes no sense, I don't know why they felt like they had to revamp it 100 years ago. Real Freeport was better.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wrong! First, why is the portal to the hub teleport area in one of the outside town zones? That's a weird design choice. Second, Freeport is empty. And I don't mean of PCs (tho it's a total ghost town) - it's just huge buildings, guards who don't say anything, and rarely NPCs who might tell you things. And it's big in the needlessly big way.

I hate new freeport with a passion but all towns work this way, because of the complex faction system (which was mostly ignored after a few expansions) make a lot of races Kill on Sight. Because of this the teleport books are all well away from guards.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Hell as a human Necro you are kill on sight in some areas of Freeport. drat that roaming dwarf.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
On Vaniki the top /barter price for Krono is currently 4550

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Baconroll posted:

On Vaniki the top /barter price for Krono is currently 4550

I don't understand krono prices ever.
It's like 1500 on Yelinak right now.

Last year the price stayed pretty low, like around 2k or less until Kunark hit. Then it proceeded to skyrocket up daily.

I don't understand where the prices come from. All I know is I've snatched up a few on Yelinak and I plan to save them for awhile.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oooh, that teleport thing makes a lot more sense. I wish EQ had leaned into the faction thing, it sounds interesting.

Question for the thread: I'm about level 10 and want to quest / look for lore / cool places to explore. I'll happily do intro quests, and I was thinking of going to the cat moon to see what my origin city would be like. But where else should I check out? I do not care about loot or levels outside of what I need to do to get buff enough to not get killed by skeletons and die randomly in the desert.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Hah yeah, that's a super authentic EQ1 experience, with the exception of you're getting the revamped versions of the zones.

And people hate on the new Freeport, and like...it's ugly as sin, so I don't disagree, but it's no more or less of a mess than the original one. We just see the charm in the old blocky zone, and have that sweet, sweet nostalgia. At least there's only 1 loading screen in it now, instead of 2, though.

But all the vanilla cities are like goddamn pacman mazes, lol.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I suppose the most traditional thing in EQ was to accidentally attack your guildmaster because attack was bound to the 'a' key and immmediately get destroyed by them.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

diapermeat posted:

Are you on Yelinak? If you are, I have a 50 druid I can toss some buffs on. I'm usually on 8pm PST++

Yeah I am. How long did it take you to hit 50?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oooh, that teleport thing makes a lot more sense. I wish EQ had leaned into the faction thing, it sounds interesting.

Question for the thread: I'm about level 10 and want to quest / look for lore / cool places to explore. I'll happily do intro quests, and I was thinking of going to the cat moon to see what my origin city would be like. But where else should I check out? I do not care about loot or levels outside of what I need to do to get buff enough to not get killed by skeletons and die randomly in the desert.

go check out The Estate of Unrest, it's technically like 10 to 35ish but it's probably the perfect little microcosm of old EQ charm + jank

other cool places to check out as you level in no particular order:
-thurgadin (just to explore and talk to npcs, lots of cool stuff in here)
-plane of mischief (consider bringing a map)
-tower of frozen shadows
-city of mists
-kedge keep

what class did you pick?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

level 10 is rough cuz there's not a lot you can do, but cool places you could explore alone if you have a merc would be, Crushbone, Blackburrow (you will get lost), Qeynos sewers (YOU WILL GET LOST), maybe not kurns tower (its kinda boring, just a lotta skeletons), when you're a bit higher level Upper Guk + Unrest are super cool +interesting but might be hard to deal with solo. There's also the Warrens, off of Paineel, but its not that interesting to explore really

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Indecisive posted:

level 10 is rough cuz there's not a lot you can do, but cool places you could explore alone if you have a merc would be, Crushbone, Blackburrow (you will get lost), Qeynos sewers (YOU WILL GET LOST), maybe not kurns tower (its kinda boring, just a lotta skeletons), when you're a bit higher level Upper Guk + Unrest are super cool +interesting but might be hard to deal with solo. There's also the Warrens, off of Paineel, but its not that interesting to explore really

You forgot befallen, but that's also rough at 10 / you will get lost / definitely look for some keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

blatman posted:

go check out The Estate of Unrest, it's technically like 10 to 35ish but it's probably the perfect little microcosm of old EQ charm + jank

other cool places to check out as you level in no particular order:
-thurgadin (just to explore and talk to npcs, lots of cool stuff in here)
-plane of mischief (consider bringing a map)
-tower of frozen shadows
-city of mists
-kedge keep

what class did you pick?

Thank you!

I'm a Beastlord and I'm occasionally followed by the freebie healer merc from the slave revolt newbie zone. I don't always revive her right away.