Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Anyone ever had any luck recovering very old accounts? I don't think I have the CD keys anywhere, and god knows what email address I was using in 1999. I tried every possible combination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

JakeP posted:

Yeah, I did yesterday, and posted about it. The account I recovered was last played in 2004

Hmm... sadly I don't even have a clue what is the email address tied to it, but they gave me a list of ~ 7 things + the secret question. I don't know the CC nor the cd key. Hopefully the answers to the rest is enough.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

So is eqplayers gone? I was trying to search for some old characters there but it just redirects to https://www.everquest.com and I don't see anyway to get to the eqplayers site from there

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

I somehow have 1000 station cash. Is it worth buying that 20 slot 100% WR box for 800 SC off the market place? Is there anything like that in the game?

Is there a list somewhere of everything you can buy in the market place besides in game?

Vomik fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 22, 2012

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

xZAOx posted:

I'd say no. Then again, I'm against paying money for in-game items period. In the OP he mentions how you can get like a 14 slot 100% WR light bag for like 5k. Yesterday someone finished all of the anniversary quests for some year and got like a 26-slot bag or something crazy.

Are the anniversary quests always up?

Well I wouldn't be paying any money for the items as I already have the station cash. I think it is on sale from 1500 to 800, but didn't know if there was something better to get

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

What is the "Pet" weapon from a fabled monster? Sorry that's the second time I've seen that mentioned and not sure what it means.

edit: Nevermind just searching that in google was enough to get the info.

Vomik fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 22, 2012

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Posting for invite

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Does anyone by chance know a good AA guide for necros? I searched around but couldn't find anything... I'm also not sure how old something can be and still be relevant.

In the same vein, should every class get innate run speed 5 as their first AAs?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Stack of Scabs posted:

No loving way someone is that stupid. If you aren't even trying to go for the easy rear end anniversary augs, which are better than most augs from actual content, then just uninstall. Also, if you aren't stacking heroics on said augs then definitely uninstall.

I literally don't know what any of this means. What are anniversary augs? I'm only level 56... should all my gear have augs in it? I haven't found any good ones nor do I have any money. What does "stacking heroics on augs" mean?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

I think it's on sale right now for $15.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

So I noticed that my pet zones with me and is still there after I camp. I suppose that means persistent minion and suspended minion are completely useless?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Merc slots are on sale for 800 SC each down from 1500. Yes you have to buy them from the marketplace. I don't think there is any other way.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

So I was looking at my aa list and remembered dire charm (necro version). Did they end up keeping it up to date or is it only useful at 60? If so are there any good guides out there for places to use it?

edit: for everyone's edification I looked it up and apparently it's awful and just left to flounder after POP

Vomik fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 4, 2012

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

I was thinking about starting an alt to my necro and was considering either Rogue or Monk. Are rogues completely unable to solo for xp/aa? I think monks are pretty good at it correct? Also, are monks capable group tanks at high levels?

I kind of like the idea of playing a rogue but don't want to be forced to find a group just to get some aa at higher levels. I keep hearing about rogue poisons... does anyone know a guide to the ones that are creatable? I was hoping it would be in the allakhazam rogue spell/skill list but it isn't.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Ckwiesr posted:

Servers should have been up an hour ago correct?

No, the patcher is wrong. The servers are down 5am pst to 8am pst. Not 3->6

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Bahanahab posted:

Yup, it has been over 2 hours since the servers were supposed to be back up, and they're still locked for me.

Weird. The servers are up on my screen and I'm in, but POK is down so I can't log into the character I wanted to play

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

What class are you? Also I don't think killing 3 mobs and medding is bad.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Archery is definitely less dps, but it can be kind of enjoyable to just shoot arrows with your tank merc tanking. It can break up the melee grinding. Especially because if I'm in melee range I always take aggro from my merc.

Does anyone know when headshot gets useful? I have the first couple ranks and I went into Nurga and it was pretty slow compared to the non-stop grinding I can do in BFR. Occasionally I would kill the mob with all arrows and headshot wouldn't go off once.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

xZAOx posted:

It still boggles me that they just took the original one down. Just "oh those features you were using? gently caress those, GONE. We'll give a new one when we're ready."

I left my toon logged in last night, so hopefully he's still there this evening. Tomorrow I go on vacation for a week, and I'm already behind a lot of people as it is. I'm like 15 AA from 1000 so I thought that'd be an easy goal for tonight, provided I can play.

Don't think staying logged in does anything. I did it last night for buffs and I was disconnected this morning

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Or you can just go to the guild bank and retrieve one of the 100 low level defiant weapons

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

So is that gone or is it still possible?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

No idea since I haven't been on in a week, but if the 12th anniversary group mission is still in, it's still possible as long as you have a high level character to mass slaughter level 65s for your shrouded PL bros.

That 24hr maintenance probably took out the anniv stuff, but otherwise it's definitely still possible...just genocide some robots

drat... I miss all the good stuff.

On another note..

So as a ranger is it better to be dual wielding or using a 2hander? What are the advantages of each? Also, do people actually tank with a 1h+shield? I kind of remember that not being the case but that was a long time ago. AND last question... rangers are capable of tanking correct? I don't mean for high-end raids or anything of course.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

RMA'd video card should be here in the next few days and I'll drag another group through J5s as per lotor's request, figure out who needs them still :)

Have room for 4 non-healers or 5 if there's a healer in the mix. I doubt I really need a healer at this point, but I'd rather not fail the boredom that is Murdunks due to a couple bad rounds. Same deal as usual, get your thrall hails done and I'll do the rest, because gently caress you if you think I'm waiting while everyone does hails :shepface:

If we have 5 non-healers and one of them already has Murdunks, I can do that as well since Murdunks is the only instance where I can't heal with Shaman outside of the group.

What level do you need to do J5? 75?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

Yeah 75 min for the quest, though getting the hails done at 75 is an exercise in patience and repeat deaths unless you can FD/blur.

Hence why I refuse to wait on that drat hails portion. It sucks. I can get all the rest done no problem, but there's no speeding up the hail portion.

Well I know what I need to do with my necro then. If I'm 75 when you get back you can add Horkos

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Dizz posted:

How the gently caress do you do Old Seb without one loving froglok running and pulling 50 other pieces of poo poo?

Aren't you playing a ranger? Might want to memorize snare

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Dizz posted:

Yeah I'm on permanent root duty now. sucks that I can't use my DPS but oh well.

Snare is not root and you cast it once and it lasts 5 minutes or something crazy. You don't choose between dps and snare

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

I would assume it's a GM cracking down on it and messing with you. That does sound odd.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

DeathTongue posted:

Yeah - up until now, it's been an enjoyable F2P MMO. Now, it's definitely feeling more like a classic rapeful MMO. Man do I miss EQ Release level XP penaltlies. No, not really.

Ignore hot zone suggestions and those little mail things to "adventure here now that you're level X." Some are over-tuned and almost all are typically designed such that a full group of players is doing them, not solo/molo. Stick to the leveling guide in the OP or people can offer up alternatives if you don't want to do them.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Devor posted:

Is there an easy to use combat parser (preferably with instructions on how to find the logs, etc)? I want to experiment with swapping out my second tank merc for a rogue / wiz and see how the damage compares. I know the recommendation was for a wizard merc for dps - but I've got so much haste / procs going on with my shaman and bard it seems hard to believe that a rogue wouldn't be competitive. Especially since right now (mid 60s) fights are so much shorter.

Right now I'm grinding up my trio (SK, bard, shaman) to 71, so I can get the fun level 70 equipment / weapons, plus the shaman group-buff version of the Puma line (which is a 71 spell). Then the plan is to grind out AAs until I hate life and quit. And let me just take a moment to plug how awesome it is on FV that I can grab a 64 dam / 28 delay required level 70 weapon for 500pp on the bazaar - plus equivalent quality for all the 2hand skills for similar prices.

I assume at 71 I would still be able to use The Hole for grinding AAs? I saw someone had recommended it for 70. I guess that might make a difference for my stopping point (70 vs 71) if anyone knows.

Also - glad you pointed out those instant-cast dots - I saw dots in the spell lineup and assumed they would be more long-casting crap. I'll have to check out the higher stuff more carefully.

In the 70s in Paw the rogue merc blows the wizard merc out of the water. Fights last literally half the time with the rogue. I have no clue how that compares at level 100 or J1 vs J5.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Pilsner posted:

http://isboxer.com/wiki/EQ1:Quick_Start_Guide and http://isboxer.com/wiki/Key_Map should get you started. Use the Wizard to get started and you really should be going. Then just fiddle around the UI and google every time you're in doubt.

As said that's a matter of EQ, but it always sounds strange to me when people complain about /follow, as it works just fine for me. It's laggy for sure, but you just have to get used to it. The characters that follow only start moving when you get a set distance away from them, will turn to face you, and when navigating corners, try to "slam into walls" as you run to give your followers a bit of leeway. Your followers will slide along walls until they reach the corner, so to speak. Also, if a box is really stuck but still hooked on following you, you can very often switch to them and simply use mouselook to get them zoomed back on track.

Everyone who is having problems with /follow in the background:

Go into display settings and change "maximum background fps" from minimum to the maximum. That's all.

JustJeff88 posted:

That's what I came here to post about.

Beyond that, I have a request: I accidentally put my Cowl of Mortality in the guild bank of the goon guild on Luclin, and somebody took it. I would be much obliged if that person would return it as I did not mean to put it there in the first place. Thank you.

Hah I just put that on as a twink item when I found it in there. I'll throw it back in when I log on.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

If I felt that the server population/level of activity was stable and the rest of the Luclin goon guild moved with me, I would consider it, but I am dubious about the former and highly doubt that latter.

I might consider it, but my issue is eventually everyone is going to do it and then Sony is going to address it somehow. Once that happens there goes any work you put in on Test. That's my worry.

I'm
Lasombr (SK)
Nosferaj (Shaman)
Nephandi (Mage)
Horkos (Nec) - Never log him in anymore
Sombra (Ranger) - Never log him in anymore

all on Luclin currently.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Medullah posted:

Didn't they already do that a few years back?

They allowed paid transfers off of Test for a period of time I believe last year (I think it corresponded with the move to FTP.) Additionally sometime in classic or maybe kunkar/velious they wiped the entire test server. A lot of people were upset (because people had test as their main server even back then), so they restored the characters (minus the equipment.)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

This did not happen. They let us freely transfer off to a live server the one time Test changed at all and have NEVER wiped the server of higher than level 10 characters. If they change the Test status, they'll let us transfer again due to the large Test pop that would vanish overnight otherwise. The "paid" transfer came after me and a few others missed the free period and raised hell, that's it.

Actually they did wipe the test server in 2000 about a year after launch IIRC. If you google it you'll find some mentions, but obviously that was 12 years ago so I don't think it's an indicator that they will wipe it again soon. And, like I said, they ended up restoring people's characters (minus equipment.)

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

Planar Power is an AA for all classes that raises the non-heroic stat cap for all ability scores by 5 points per level purchased. There are twenty levels each which are purchasable once per character level starting at 61 up until 80. The first 5 levels are 2 points each, which is fine. However, levels 6-20 are 5 points each, despite giving the same reward? Why?

If I'm reading that guide to how experience is calculated this actually makes sense. Experience is based on some formula of mob level etc, but presumably as you're higher level you're killing higher level mobs therefore each mob is worth more xp / kill. The amount of experience required for one AA is constant, so if you had 0 aa and were level 100 and killed a level 100 mob vs level 60 and killed a level 60 mob, the level 100 would fill up his AA bar more.

This doesn't take into account speed of killing nor zone experience modifiers obviously. Probably why The Hole and POF are so good at 70 and 80.

Also it doesn't make much sense because I've seen AA lines that go 3/6/9/3/3/3.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Are there any gameplay downsides to Test besides the lack of raiding?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

jetz0r posted:

I'll make the offer to testcopy over little carepacks to you test goons again. I can ship over packs of: (listed by character)

~2m plat, 3k dream motes, an Amulet of Necropotence, a Manastone, a stack of Pure Light orbs, lots of 14 slot bags and/or TS items, and whatever random things I have from exping.

An AoN, Circlet of Shadows, a stack of pure Metal orbs, a Bioluminescent Orb, L90 arrow summoning quiver.

My trader with whatever random stuff I'm trying to sell (RoF random drop gear and Eternal Grove crap) plus some plat.

Contact me at xegony.illa, or post in thread with your name and what you want. I'll copy over and send stuff when I can.

How often can you testcopy?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

jetz0r posted:

About once a day, as long as its working.

Thanks I may hit you up today or tomorrow for the plat, an AON, circlet of shadows, and dream motes if you have the availability to testcopy. Also if you have any 80+ SK gear.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Devor posted:

I think there's a decent glut of people who are waiting for /testcopy to start working again. If anyone has success with it after this point, it'd be helpful to let the thread know.

And responding to the mention of spell turn-ins - since they're tradeable, there's not really any urgency to moving those over with my initial move, right? I'm figuring since no-drop stuff gets locked in on the main characters, that's all that really matters at the moment. Everything else can get taken care of later with the /testcopy mule.

How do you know testcopy isn't working? Will it send an error when you try to /testcopy or is it just it doesn't actually copy? I hit /testcopy last night but didn't really have any time to play so I thought it went through.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

Okay, I must be thick, because I am more confused than ever. So the pre-nerf circlet is only usable by SK/Necromancer, but is instant-cast, no cooldown, 20 minute duration, but the post-nerf one has a longer casting time but can be clicked from inventory by anyone? I know that I am making a meal of this, but I would like to know why people bang on and on about this.

It was in the game for like one patch, it was the first ever (?) instant cast invis and it worked for 2 of the 3 classes that could feign death. It also predated all AAs. It's a very rare item and people love collecting. It's not much use now once an SK/Nec gets the cloak of shadows AA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Creative Bicycle posted:

To everyone/anyone coming to do the anguish orb run tonight: if it hinges on my being there we may have to reschedule or at least cut things short (like do just warden hanvar/ture or something). It appears that my girlfriend planned a last minute semi-surprise dinner since she returns to school tomorrow from a break, so my priorities for the evening have, uh, forcibly shifted.

Similarly, I have a dinner I have to head to. I'm not sure when it will end but I'll try to be on to do anguish