Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Scurvard posted:

Oh man! This website is precious. We gotta make one too, with animated angel gifs and everything.

I saw this cool guy this morning:

Play EQ and get down wit da clown y'all!!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I should post my character info for this thread. I'm Dino Mite, lvl 56 necromancer. Let's team up!!

I hosed with him for little while last week. He was actually pretty nice and then I stopped and felt bad. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

xZAOx posted:

:yarr:

Yeah, just some (crappy) missions no one ever did, despite raids clearly being implied before the expansion launched. They're even more useless now because the currency you'd receive would be used to purchase rank 1 TBS spells, which are now sold on the spell vendor in PoK. On the bright side, a lot of the Katta missions and the Solteris raids in that expansion were pretty fun.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Toxx posted:

I think I might hop on the EQ1 boat again for a little while. Going to try to log in tonight if I get out of work early enough. Are Wizards still played basically the same as they've always been? Having a tough time deciding between wizard and ranger.

I stopped playing my wizard in Underfoot but I remember it being pretty straight-forward. I would alternate the wildmagics and smaller/medium nukes, use ethers on GoM procs, concussions and mind crash type stuff to stay below the tank on the hate list, and all the spires/twincasts/devastation on burns.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

xZAOx posted:

There must be some other stuff that works into what exp the twink will get. The other day, me and Lubanja's boxes were at C2. I was getting over 10% of an AA per kill. Usil showed up to kill a couple fabled for us (can't remember level, but pretty sure he's 95, I was 70 for comparison), so we invited him into the group. The regular mobs we killed with him in the group gave an exp message, but I at least could no longer even see the exp bar move. When he killed the fabled though, I got 40% of an AA.

Perhaps if the kill is green/gray to the PL'er the exp given to the group is drastically reduced. I'm not sure what the regular mobs conned to him.

I had a question about merc slots - I just assume gold could get all 5. Then I read a comment before F2P about someone buying more merc slots. Then I noticed nowhere on the F2P page does it mention merc slots. Do you have to buy them with SC?

You have to buy them but I think they're still on sale at least for a little while. You can also quest 1 slot but you need to be a GM tradeskiller.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Ckwiesr posted:

Good luck I've been waiting 4 days now to get an account to account transfer done.

I called a CS rep when I did this and after he asked me a few account/security questions, he did the move immediately. Not sure if that's still an option or not.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

So were those special mercenary races underperforming compared to regular ones and are now on par, or were they on par and are now superior?

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Goldmund posted:

drat it, I think I'm about to resub again. Last time I was playing, /taskadds were all the rage for quick levels and AA. Is that still going on much?

Not sure if anyone plays on Quellious, but if so keep an eye out for Moro/Goldmund (monk and druid combo).

Like all the other good RvR things, they took a giant poo poo on it. You can still get the progression flags but you have be in the instance and close to the chest to get xp, and it's also cut in half.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Hexel posted:

As a necro- Beasts' Domain is my kiting spot. On the rear end end near Sarith is nothing but shrubs and them little naeya dogs and none of them summon. They are yellow con at 95 too so the xp is pretty amazing. If I'm boxing my bard I can get 3-4 going at once. Otherwise I just do 1-2.

Resplendent Temple animals in the courtyard don't summon, except the stupid little bunnies. City of Bronze animals outside the wall are all kitable. Windsong- the second "ring" with the animals n' poo poo are all kitable. Root rotting works in all these places too for the lazy like me :p

There's a thread on necrotalk where a guy posted a youtube video of him burning an xp potion and kiting 4-5 mobs at a time in BD. It's very basic, just putting 7 dots on a mob and then getting the next. Feel free to ignore the rest of that thread and most of the other posters though - it's a lot of retards making unsubstantiated claims and saying generally stupid poo poo.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Peechka posted:

If you like the game, and it seems like you do, theree is no reason for you not to go gold a while ago.

BTW, I went to wallmart just yesterday and they did not have the $15 for 2K SC cards there. So not all wallmarts have them. I do have another one near me which I will check out today.

If it helps anyone else find them, the one by me has them separated from all the other credit/gift/time/etc cards at the front. They were tucked into a little corner back in electronics.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

Maybe something more substantive than this would be useful? Though this is definitely a thing.

Buy ranks as they open up at each level of anything for passive pet melee crits and flurries, pet melee avoidance and mitigation, and your nuke crit chance and strength. Stuff with cooldowns are usually less important but try to keep up with Gift of Mana, Frenzied Burnout, the Spires, Twincast. The Replenish Companion lines are nice to have but I wouldn't put this on par with above in importance.

Do this in Infected Paw sans merc starting at level 71 with the AA that buffs/heals your pet when you use the summon/construct bane nuke line (more details on this in the last thread and also on the magetower site).

Chum Scandal fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 10, 2012

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Mages don't use them grinding in Paw because of a special AA that turns your nukes into nukes/buffs/heals. There are probably other special cases - I don't play a high level monk but from what others have said, they can heal themselves very efficiently and maybe that makes the xp rate better solo in certain cases. Otherwise I would agree with you.

\/\/ I thought the full group bonus was only for having real players?

Chum Scandal fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 10, 2012

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

xZAOx posted:

Just for other melee like myself - Zorl (I don't know if that's you or not, btw) gave me some of those the other day. They're awesome, and according to him, cheap to make. You just need a certain type of the poison drops. Usually they'll read something like "Refined AA Venom" or something. They'll always have that "A" or "AA" type stuff in the name. I'd recommend just saving them up and throwing them all at a rogue next you see one. The buff lasts for a very long time, and 60 procs - whichever comes first (which is always the proc amount first, as long as you're fighting).

Heh, I go back and forth on this. Being a bit lost and unsure makes a game much more interesting on a lot of levels. Then again, I hate dumping AA into something that's crap, even if it's not the end of the world (not like you can't get more AA).

I had an impromptu "explore Dragons of Norrath content" night last night. A lot of very cool zones, I thought. Started off with just checking out the new Highpass Hold actually, then it dawned on me that the Commonlands were merged, then found that there's an actual SolC (neat zone! that loving huge spider scared the poo poo out of me! and a raid boss in there too!). From there went into the DoN stuff, exploring every nook and cranny. I might fight my way to the top of the Ascent some night (instead of just FD'ing my way), and I also left the Nest and Isles zones mostly unexplored, as they were full of lb/db mobs for me to get exp on.

It's a later expansion though, I might should back up a bit first hehe. So much content in this game to check out.

DoN was a great expansion. Lots of missions with a currency vendor ala LDoN, fantastic Asian art design to the zones, character progression that was useful to everyone, and while there were only a few dragons for raiders (with some smaller raids including the aforementioned progression), the final dragon was brutal as gently caress at level 70 and you really felt good about yourself and your guild when you took him down.

Have a good time exploring it :)

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Bahanahab posted:

What you pick for that last spot would really determine what healer you go with, because a shaman is better for melee and a druid is better for spell casters. So, if you go melee, pick a monk and go with a shaman. If you go druid then pick a wizard or mage.

Also since you've got an Enchanter, you'll have Mana storm and Mana Reiteration (caster equivalents of a Shaman's panther line and epic click) to go with your caster nukes.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Pilsner posted:

Wow, finally! How much do they pay for it?

I would still recommend saving particularly Silk, Animal Pelt, Ore and Nigriventer/Goram poison components once you get to HoT or above content. You'll be thankful if you ever start doing tradeskills yourself, or you can sell them for some decent money - look for buyers via the /barter command in the baz.

I started saving a bunch of the poison drops after seeing this patch message hit test a little bit ago, and sold it all yesterday, other than the good stuff that makes the hate/nuke procs. Pretty disappointing - about 1-2pp per.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

xZAOx posted:

This all makes me sad :(

These things are overcome-able, and even an old code-base can be gradually improved over time. But those require continuous investment into the product - not just life support.

It blew my mind when they actually added bigger bags into the game, because they swore up and down for years that it was impossible, it would corrupt the character database, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria, etc.

The SKlug guy was awesome and fixed/added a ton of stuff but then he got pulled to EQNext :(

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Beo posted:

I have been debating switching up my box some I was reading about necro dps and how huge enchanter twincast aura is for it, so I think I want to try boxing a chanter again I loved my enchanter on test and even if it doesn't work out I'll have him for buffs. basically going from sk/shm/brd/necro to sk/x/chanter/necro.

The x is where it gets funky, I really dont want to box a shaman and chanter so I think I'm either going to box a different healer OR a pure dps caster like mage or wizard. Personally I am leaning toward a druid because it still gives me healing and more nuke dps which stacks nicely with enchanter buffs also beautiful ports.

As far as the pain of switching boxes around I don't think it's that big of a deal since i can camp the level 80 gear and farm up an easy 500 aas and 80 levels in thallasius for them.

Thoughts I know we had a goon druid raving about how neat they are.

Replacing the necro in your current setup with a ranger, monk, rogue, or berserker would make for a stronger melee-centric squad, but I agree with you that chanters and necros are both pretty drat cool. sk/(caster)/chanter/necro would probably be a lot more work to automate and might not have the same synergy but I bet you could make it work.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

* Planar Progression (for the charm / AAs)
- It's cool for the lore/experience but not useful. The charm is crap.
* LDoN Stone max
- Literally like 360+ wins to max the aug. Just do the Wanderlust aug or the Hills of Shade aug.
* Breakdown in Communication (for the 14 step aug, pretty sure I'd need a couple of levels/assistance to do Inktu'ta, Txevu, and Tacvi)
- This is tedious and you can get other useful things for oddball aug slots.
* MPG Trials (someone already said yes on this, but I'm wondering how I'd do Subversion w/o a rogue)
- For sure.
* DON progression (This one might have to wait till I can box Vish and the other dragon(s), right? Or grab friends for it.)
- For sure. Get buddies to rape Vish.
* Solteris Ring in The Buried Sea (someone mentioned boxing these isn't possible yet)
- Eh. It's just some 300ish ring. The lore is okay I suppose.
* Hand Aug in The Buried Sea
- The aug is okay but you'll replace it with better modern ones. It can be fun to do :yarr:
* Face Aug in Secrets of Faydwer
- Still worth doing except for tanks (only 25 ac iirc)

quote:

I never did any SoD, UF, HoT, or VoA content before, so anything in those that's fun? Are there any really good click camps I'd should be looking into as well, like the Qvic Zoo for the aura of eternity click maybe?
Each theme in SoD has a long quest with a bunch of parts. There's an okay ac aug, an okay h/m/e aug, an iksar skeleton illusion, an ogre familiar with h/m/e, and an aug that is very similar to the SoF face aug. There's also another clicky that is totally worthless. If you do every task/mission in UF you get a black ant mount. It's kind of neat but you're looking at over a hundred tasks. If you do/kill everything in HoT there are trophies that enable extra tribute options, some wr bags, and a polka dot bunny illusion. VoA has more trophies and I'm not sure what else yet, still working through it.

Cragbeast Queen belt is nice if you're melee and don't have a shaman box (why don't you have a shaman box?!)

Chum Scandal fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 17, 2012

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Sgt Froggy posted:

Is there any reason for playing the LON side game? I went through the tutorials and what not but getting a deck made, to go on woth the single player missions, is kicking my rump. It also says I have 50 some boosters to claim but I dont know which series would do me the best.

If theres no real point I will just let it go.

You can get a bunch of ornaments and some potions from the scenarios. Some of the scenarios have these rewards and some only give cards. Also every couple months or so they will rotate the special scenario that is sometimes holiday-themed. When this started, it had some bad rear end rewards, including a once-a-day clicky that made you a poison proc potion. Then they stopped caring I guess and claimable glyphs were the only rewards. Now they're back to giving out ornaments. The game itself feels/plays like a pretty bad mid-1990's M:tG clone but I admit to playing through all of the scenarios on all of the accounts I've had, and continuing to play infrequently.

If you're claiming boosters based on wanting to get good cards and not just which sets have loot you want, I would claim newer sets, because you can only use newer cards to win whatever is currently the most recent LoN scenario (this is like Type II or whatever in M:tG).

Chum Scandal fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 18, 2012

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

MrTheDevious posted:

I have no idea how anyone enjoys just playing one EQ character and just watching combat spam scroll by while you press a button every 10 seconds or so.

It varies by class for sure but I've played 6 or 7 classes at max level and you're always doing something. You're pretty much constantly either casting, using combat abilities, or using cooldowns. Even with something relatively more hands-free like a mage, you're weaving 2 or 3 nukes, your gargoyle, your quick AA dd, 5-10 other cooldowns if you care about your dps, and of course more on burns.

Chum Scandal fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 25, 2012

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Trowadeath posted:

**Triple Station cash today, the 28th only!**

http://everquest.com/news/article?month=042012&id=524251

Wow, I think they've only done this before on Christmas. Makes me wonder two things: is triple SC going to become more common, and is there going to be a quadruple SC sale eventually?

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Hoohah posted:

I don't remember what the CoA warrior tank weapon is, I don't think it had one since they sort of intended you to go back and clear Tacvi (and get BBBs on the way) after you killed OMM.

This is all very foggy but I remember the warrior setup being BBoB and 2.0 in that era. Some warriors chose to use the 1hs from Demiplane (off Hatchet?) when that became available. I don't think there was a flat-out raid warrior agro weapon upgrade until the axe from the Ashengate raid. After that they started making regular upgrades - I think there were at least two at level 80, one in Steam Factory and another in Crystallos.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Cynode posted:

So I've started doing the thrall hails quest in warrens, and 4 boxing I think I will be there a while, is there any good/safe/etc spot to camp somewhat near the thralls?

I believe that little nook up at the top with 2 thralls is a safe spot if you cram up against the wall.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

If you have 2 different slots with a cleave focus, you're saying they stack? I can't check MB at work but that seems really bizarre.

Also caster DPS classes can get sympathetic proc augs for their shields (not sure how many of these there are but I got one randomly in LoN packs) and I'd prefer this since you're going to get raped for 10-15k+ if you get hit anyway.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Nurge posted:

If I read the discussion on monkly-business right the stacking comes into play with the highest level cleave stuff like XII - 15 or whatever other numbers are there. The number part of it stacks, which is a straight damage bonus to every hit. I don't think you get a higher crit chance with separate cleave items, but the damage bonus bundled into it stacks as many times as you can wear them, which is a huge damage boost esp. for classes that hit fast. If I understood it wrong MrTheDevious can probably correct me. Also it may or may not be intended so may be just straight up nerfed some day to not stack, no one knows.

Weird. So if you want to min/max you'd just do 8x cleave raid augs in cultural gear I guess? Well I suppose fewer because you'd want one for ferocity, etc. I haven't made those type of augs since SoF but if I remember you could pick the focus they'd have.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

I bought 3x $15 Wal-Mart cards for 200k each during this last triple SC weekend. That was most of my plat but it turned into 18000 SC :banjo:

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Chalandria's Fang is being rewarded again for the new LoN scenario. They gave it out a few years ago and it's probably the best reward they've ever had - once a day level-appropriate poison proc potion clicky. Get this poo poo.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

cryptoclastic posted:

Out of curiosity, what is the standard HP of a main tank for an end game guild these days? I just came back to the game, and my now 69 necros HP is about 7000 unbuffed. When I quit I think tanks had about 14000 unbuffed? This was in PoP, before it had been finished. I did some reading and saw that the current end-game bosses have a normal hit of 25000??? Just how much HP do tanks have these days?!

This is the magelo of one of the warriors in the top raid guild: http://eq.magelo.com/profile/568718

So yeah, like, >90k

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Jotto posted:

God unlocks tonight on fippy. Time to powerlevel a berserker

They weren't very good initially, right? I remember people rolled them when they came out and were like, well, I could just play a rogue instead.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Keith Stone posted:

I have a boxing question...

This morning Rank and Brogyun(My SK/Mage pair) were slaughtering sporelings and my SK took some agro from the tank. The cleric merc completely ignored my SK and let him die. The cleric was healing the merc tank, but was racist towards my guktan sk.

Any reason why a cleric merc would ignore a group member in distress if there was plenty of mana available?

The other races don't really give a poo poo about them, which is why when the trolls kicked them back out of Grobb, the collective response was "here's some tents or whatever, go live in the Rathe mountains" and not "We're with you, let's go get your city back!"

But, in regard to the actual question, maybe your SK was marked as puller and wasn't close enough to the other party members. Unfortunately, sometimes the cleric mercs just act retarded too, and won't heal.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Ylide posted:

So being an old MTG player I was going to play around with Legends of Norrath while the servers are down. I have 60 packs to redeem, and I don't know if I should open all one set, spread it out and if so how to distribute it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, do loot cards potentially change depending on what packs you open or is that static at any given time?

If you're wanting to play against other people (I don't think anyone actually does this anymore) or play through the most recent scenario while it's current, you'd need cards from the more recent sets. It's like the Standard format in M:tG where card sets get rotated out as newer sets are released. So if you're aiming to have a card pool to be able to make newer decks, I'd split the 60 between the 4-6 most recent sets. That said, the game itself is pretty bad, and I'd certainly prioritize your desired loot cards when deciding which packs/set to claim. Even if you did open up a bunch of early sets, the cards wouldn't be totally unusable, as it's like M:tG where some cards get reprinted in newer sets and re-enter Standard.

e: Oh, loot cards for a given set should be static.

Chum Scandal fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 14, 2012

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

Couldn't have put it better myself. When I stopped playing (just before Gates of Discord, when the cap was still 65), resting didn't exist and bards couldn't really meditate, couldn't benefit from mana regeneration buffs (including their own songs) and Flowing Thought (passive mana regen) gear and AA abilities were very hard to come by. Thus, if you died or otherwise were drained of mana it would take literally hours to regenerate back to full. I got Fading Memories as soon as I was able (I still remember the day I got the title "Impresario" - I was so excited), but I could only use it once in a great while. Now that bards can regen to full mana in about 3 or 4 minutes, it's a fantastic tool and I can easily see how bards have become such superb pullers. Plus, it makes charming pets much more viable.

Also, /melody... no longer having to weave/twist songs is the most delicious thing next to pistachio ice cream and French pastries. My fingers thank the man who came up with this idea.

You'd be thanking one of the Macroquest devs, they had this several years before Sony added it :)

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?&topic_id=186940

:lol:

No notice, to everyone that bought a bunch of SC to keep their account(s) gold, get hosed. It's like they felt some sort of karma imbalance from the great way they handled Al`kabor and had to take a giant poo poo on everyone to even things out.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Peechka posted:

Stupid move on SOEs part. The subs were the only reason to get SC in the first place. Then they say that it was just not a used feature so they take it out? Im willing to bet my left nut that it was one of the MOST purchased.

So now people wont buy their lovely SC anymore, because why? To buy a weapon skin? LOL? And people wont subscribe to their lovely game either because the SC option is gone.

Yeah it's sad to read the community relations guy saying something so obviously untruthful, even though you know it comes from higher up. Even the downiest mouthbreather could come to the conclusion that $30 on triple days via Walmart for a year sub is incredible, and people bought the hell out of it.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

No More Heroes posted:

Newer content like the Steppes is gonna hit harder and have more hp, alternatively, I've seen a 68 ranger plowing through GE, maybe he knows something everyone else doesn't. I would imagine everything is light blue.

The last time I leveled an enchanter up I did GE with a tank merc to 70 with ~900 aa. The mobs die so fast, hit so light, and there are tons yet come single if you want. The benefits outweigh the xp per kill easily if you look at the xp rate per hour in my view.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

All I've ever heard is June, but then again I have no faith in the powers that be who write and implement the drat thing.

I think that the mere idea of this patch is putting people off of the game. People hear that AA will start coming twice as fast (or more, in some cases) supposedly soon, so they naturally don't want to spend time earning AA because they're essentially working twice as hard for the same reward. However, at higher levels you need to upgrade/acquire certain AA abilities in order to be effective as the difficulty curve ramps up, so you can't really level normally without earning AA, but you don't want to work twice as hard for AA etc etc.

I think this patch is a good idea, though it doesn't really address the core problem with the grind in this game and the whole concept of AA in general, but I'm starting to think that it would have been best to not mention it, because I think it's making play grind to a halt. Of course, had they decided to sneak it in, people would have been furious when it hit to find out that they did double work and all that, but at least it wouldn't have encouraged people to not play for an undetermined period of time during the summer when much of the player base has the most free time. I'm no businessman, but I'm pretty sure that encouraging people to play is the whole point of this silly game.

Definitely noticing this. A couple people I used to pug with are playing other games until the patch hits.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

jetz0r posted:

SC subs got returned to the marketplace for a week, they still have 4 days left. Log in and spend all your sc on subs now.

Adding it back in for a week is better than nothing I guess, but it's still pretty obnoxious. I dumped another year on so I won't have to worry about it until sometime in 2014 and I'm paying a really low monthly cost from the triple day, but I'm also giving up the only means of protest Sony gives a poo poo about.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Poison clicky scenario rotated out in LoN :(

New one is some stupid rear end familiar that doesn't do anything (and is a recycled scenario/reward to boot).

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Goldmund posted:

Haven't played EQ since Diablo 3 came out, and just saw the EQ Facebook post about SC not being usable on subs starting Monday. Sucks that they are going away, but pretty cool that subs are half price right now. Now I have 2 years locked in on 4 accounts. Dunno how much I'll actually be playing, but $15 for a year is pretty drat sweet.

Welp, now my account goes until sometime in 2015. I can't really bitch about them offering a discount but I already paid the 12000 SC rate a few days ago, would have been nice to not have done that.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Keith Stone posted:

Do you get permabanned for stuff like that or just probation?

I've wanted to play with ShowEQ but didn't like the idea of losing my junk.

Yes. (the punishments are wildly inconsistent)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

No More Heroes posted:

And the normal diminishing returns kick in at 4k?

It's a linear degradation from 1000% to 0% as you go from 0 aa to 4k aa.