Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Ylide posted:

Is the fact that I'm level 76 with only 250 AAs the reason everything is so drat hard to kill now? Or is the J1 merc the big hold back? I'm torn, barrel to 80 best i can and have loon or someone help me get j5 merc access or grind out like 500 AAs?

A bit of both. Mid 70s is when I saw the mercs usefulness take a big hit, and AA is pretty important depending on class, especially since those first ranks give way better returns than ones later on. You're in a weird spot for leveling since a lot of good stuff is greened out, but places like paw/farm should still be decent. I would suggest either decking out in top of the line 75 gear and AAing to between 500-700, or powering to 80 for new gear. A lot of cheap, great stuff becomes available at 80.

My buddy is holding at 76 and AAing in katta as a mage, apparently its easy as balls and he basically just afk-kills 90% of the time. Kind of lame but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I'm having some issues running EQ at different resolutions. My goal is to have main gameplay window at my normal resolution (windowed 1600x) and then the two boxes be at 1200x800ish.

First I tried using 2 eqclient.ini's like EQW supports (eqcliewnt.ini and eqclient2.ini) under 2 seperate profiles, but eventually the boxes started saving to the main eqclient for some reason or picking up its settings

Second I tried running a second EQ install and this works ok, but switching between windows for some reason frequently gives a not responding error that lasts a good 15-20 seconds before a box becomes playable. Also I use a g15 for macros (switch window, cast a social hotkey with 3-4 spells on it, switch back to main window) and for some reason if I'm using two instances of EQ, the macros don't work.

I don't really want to use ISboxer. Any suggestions on making this work?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Hoohah posted:

Before this iteration of playing, I always had raids to gear / look forward to, but really when I get 95, try and farm up Tier 4 VOA group gear for all my dudes, what do I do then?

Haha, thats where I'm around now. Went from new character to decked out in full T4 glorious in about 3-4 months casualish play. I've done pretty much all the VoA group stuff now so it's kind of like...go named-hunting for trophies, or go back and get all the partisan/savior achievements in Underfoot/HoT. I absolutely detest EQ raiding so that won't be happening much. I have a huge bucket-list but since hitting 95 I kind of lost focus.

Saving 7 million PP to buy a 100/18 h2h or something is also on my "maybe" list. FV economy is fun

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 4, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

FV bazaar is kind of it's own awesome metagame. I got multiple tells on my bazaar alt because I was selling exp potions for 39500 instead of the "agreed 40,000 for the exp weekend" recently, and like 3 other traders were really pissed about me undercutting them. One guy with an obvious plat-seller name (supersaverdeals or something like that) kept trying to buy me out but I only listed 3-4 at a time and kept restocking and he gave up really fast. When I did a search, sure enough every other potion was priced at 40k. It makes me think some gigantic EQ traders guild conspiracy is in place and they have weekly meetings to discuss inflation, base prices, and possible investment in a basket of other currencies.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 4, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Ylide posted:

Is it just me or is the bazaar pretty dead here? I've got maybe 40 items up, all priced 50% lower than the next lowest price, and nothing sells. In the last 2 weeks I think I've moved 5 items.

If it's like FV, we experienced a pretty massive influx of sales of cheaper items when it went F2p, but the last month or so has been REALLY stagnant. The biggest sellers seem to be T2 items in HoT and VoA (since silver can use them and everyone has free box alts now), wraps that drop off of the VoA nameds, T4 lucid/grandiose wraps, and basically "best in tier" style items for level 75, 80, 85, 90 requirement. It seems like anything not best for the level pre-85 or not current content is basically not going to sell.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

drat, thanks for the heads up. There's still a workaround to it, and I had 12000 SC sitting around from the triple station cash promo, since I usually only play 3-6 months at a time. Glad I was able to cash it in for another years worth, at least.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Pilsner posted:

I'm afraid I hit the burnout too. I'm not sad though, I think it's amazing that we had a goon rush going for close to half a year, in a 13 year old game like EQ. I'm almost certain that this is the biggest combined goon population EQ has had, and I had a ton of fun. That's nothing to cry about for certain! :)

But of course, I burned out just a few days after I bought 3 month subs for all my boxes and VOA for my bard box. :downs: Seriously, this happens every single time I buy a big subscription package for an MMORPG.

Hah, me too. I don't know why I never get burnt out at the very end of my subscription cycle rather than 3-4 days into it. At this point I'm kind of just waiting for the AA boost. Once that hits, I feel like it'll be a lot of fun to go back and do older stuff I missed out on (entire underfoot expansion, a few HoT zones, etc) and get some ok-ish AA while wrapping up the older content (which should be more fun at 95 with the best group gear, no pressure to level, get alaran language, etc)

Someone PM the gchat password? I'm entirely too lazy to log into luclin.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 9, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Keith Stone posted:

So does it go to 1000% from 0-4000AA?

Yes, next patch. at 0 aa you'll get 1000% bonus, at 2000 you'll get 500%, and so on.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Pilsner posted:

with the classic UI.

Gross

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Ylide posted:

This is a terrible idea. Some zones are crowded if they have more than 2-3 groups in it. And bu today's standards, one guy who is 3-boxing or a guy who is 15 levels over the content count as groups.

Agreed, unless they started giving instance options for basically everything. The other night in off hours we had two other groups set up and killing in resplendent temple, and that felt like entirely too much. I didn't even think it was that popular of a zone, we just wanted to get a dude the partisan/hero achievements. Merging servers would be the worst thing ever when basically a three boxer or two can take on most poo poo at this point, and everyone cashed out multiple accounts with the cheap gold subscriptions.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Maybe consider swapping the shaman or bard out instead. My friend did a combo like that and the biggest problems were DPS and crowd control at times. Shaman became redundant kind of fast as slows became mitigated and healer mercs picked up the slack. He started as SK/Bard/Shaman and ended up with Paladin/Chanter/Ranger. Some of this was because I was playing a Monk, so that contributed to his decisions (He went paladin rather than SK because of it, otherwise SK would have definitely been the way to go for pulling and such). We pretty much breezed through all of VOA group progression except a few rare nameds in T3/4 (Most of which we had no problem with).

It's largely personal preference, and depends on what you plan to do (our goal was progression for all SoD/SoF/UF/HoT/VoA content in the group lines: Mercenary, Partisan, and Hero Achievements basically. We didn't give a poo poo about raids, if that's your thing), but some things to consider:

-If you have an SK as your main, bard's pulling utility becomes pretty redundant. If SK is your only real melee class, overhaste becomes much less important, these two things are really going to be the bards biggest contributions

-Enchanter has *much* better haste than the shaman (adds triple attack %, crit %, and crit damage %), Shaman has some nice AE slows and Adps, but it doesn't really benefit the SK as much as mez ability, I feel. As is, SK gives a lot of control over pulls. Chanter kind of gives total control even if things go bad somehow (or when you can't single pull, like when progressing through Hot's Cazic thule where mobs come 6 at a time)

-Shaman will bring manual healing ability, dots if you feel like it, and some great buffs. Ultimately though, we felt like healing wasn't really a big thing (even a lot of VoA nameds came down to "ok, put the healer merc on reactive", and autoattack for 4 minutes while healers do their thing), slow became less important and other classes could do it, and the dots felt kind of mediocre in comparison to a dedicated dps class. Good jack of all trades but my 95 it just felt like it lost its place for us.

If I were doing a 3-box and doing HoT/VoA group stuff all over again?

I would have a shaman bot to buff the main tank once an hour, then for the main team I would use SK/Wiz/Chanter with 1-2 healer mercs depending on situation and 1-2 rogue or wizard mercs.

I loved monk for playing as a main but found it irritating for 2-boxing and intolerable for three boxing. Shaman I felt became redundant fast. Bard, SK, wiz, chanter, ranger (borderline here and not terribly efficient) were all easy and effective to multibox. Mage/Wiz/bard was another combo a guildy used that seemed comedy effective in VoA

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 30, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

yeah, the panther buff and epic click is what I meant by adps, and it is pretty nice. We actually gave my shaman the /surname pumabot because thats about all he was doing. On a nice note though, later versions of puma can be MBG'd from outside the group, so if your shaman gets relegated to bot status like mine, he can still throw out awesome buffs and Lion as needed. Basically it's more awesome the more melee are in your group. The more melee are in the party, the more benefit you get out of both the bard and the shaman from procs/overhaste. In our case the shaman felt easy to ditch, but if we had 4 or so classes meleeing it would have been a lot more impressive.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Yeah that would be pretty solid. I think you could do pretty much anything you wanted for group stuff with that combo, it's just personal preference and how you want to set things up. (I would set the bard up as puller in that case so you could start throwing all your exp into tank AA for the SK right away) Just keep in mind you'll most likely be using a tank and healer merc for awhile. I felt like our tank merc was outperforming the actual tank until like ~2k AA and VoA tier 4 gear. Then again, we jumped right from HOT gear to VOA4, because FV is scrubby like that.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 30, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

RCarr posted:

So right now I'm boxing a SK/Bard/Shaman group. Should I be capping defensive AA's every level with the SK? I'm level 58 at the moment, and I just capped CA/CS, Natural Durability, etc. Should I stop every level and cap them again, or just grind out to 70 or so and then work on it?

I would try and find sweet-spots to do chunks of AA at a time. The first one I did was the hole at level 60-something on my monk, since I could just pull like 20-25 mobs from the temple at a time and rip-disc them down and pull ~22AA per lesson (That was before the recent aa leveling boosts, so not too shabby). I think 63 was where I stopped and maxed out defensive AAs for the first time. It was a popular spot for Paladins and SKs as well. After that Plane of fire at 71(?) was super solid, vergalid mines at 75 or so, ashengate, loping plains, SoF stuff, mech guardian in the 80s.

You get some nice power boosts in old content when you hit the levels for HoT/VoA gear as well.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 6, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

http://www.evilgamer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4870

Is what I used. I started camping around 75-80ish, just whatever was in level range while exping. Bayle's crest is pretty solid, so if you want to do the SoD quests, do them while they still give AA.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a downside to all this? Test Server makes me think periodic wipes or something.

Maybe it's changed due to the free gold status, but test's population earlier this year was intolerable. The bazaar had no traders, general chat was dead in off hours, and I would frequently go days without seeing another player. There's also no way to escape test now, so be sure to scope it out a bit before really sinking into the exp grind there. I managed to escape test to Fv (another server that people said was dead) and in comparison I found basically instant group/guild/open raid opportunities. If you're into raiding I probably would not recommend FV, but unless population *drastically* improved on test after the F2P conversion, I wouldn't ever recommend it to anyone.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 12, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Wow, I caught a bad typo. I meant to say, "If you're into end game raiding, I probably would not recommend FV". Because it seems to taper off around HoT/UF/early VoA. If you really want to raid the bleeding edge content, other live servers might be best.

I really never got all the hate for FV inflation. Yeah, it's inflated, but like someone else said, typically it's only on stuff that's end content or no-drop top-tier stuff for it's level bracket.

The inflation goes both ways too, since you can easily start running quests and selling the rewards for cash. Like there's an item that took me about 20 minutes to run. I boxed 3 characters, got 3 rewards, and sold them at 20-30k a pop. Money comes and goes pretty easy on FV. I regularly sold named drops from T2/3 voa for 20-70k, although that market seemed to hit a huge slump around the time I stopped playing.

Grandiose gear (Tier 4 voa group stuff) is pretty cheap once you find someone to buy the vendor items, and that in turn makes doing VoA/HoT/etc progress a lot easier for those of us who don't want to poopsock through the raid game.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 12, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

haha, yeah. Freeport got some serious WTF treatment. I have to cruise through it with the mapscreen on every time still (and last time a see invis red-to-95 con quadded me for multiple 30k hits). I think it's just freeport, oasis/sro/nro (merged) and west commons/east commons that got the revamp, as part of PoR, and lavastorm for DoN. There were some other minor revamps to like gnome starting area, but nowwhere near as awful as freeport. Thankfully Qeynos is still intact, thats my favorite newbie zone. Everything else should be just like you remember it, unless I'm forgetting something.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Take one fleeting look at the rising sun and then descend into the hole for weeks.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I thought stuff transferred to test was no-drop flagged? If thats reversed, does that mean stuff thats tradeable on FV can transfer and trade on test?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Thats kind of why I've adopted a "wait and see" attitude. Usually anytime something is too good to be true with SoE, it is, and then quickly gets reduced to "too bad to be playable" or just taken away completely without advance notice. RIP triple station cash day subscriptions :(

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Those of you who basically quit but have 1-year subs from the cheap SC trade ins, consider staying "subscribed" until they're about to bill you again. I'm getting the 500SC a month and I think you can use it for other games like planetside 2.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

Everquest 1: I'm for paul and geengrich and whoever else white

Sometimes I troll general just by saying "obama" and seeing where it goes from there. I have yet to find a better :effort: to results ratio than that.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Node posted:

Yeah I've found that EQ players (based on global channels) are a highly conservative group. That might explain why I don't have many friends in the game.

Firiona vie especially. Holy poo poo, I'm amazed at how rabidly right wing that server is. It's like the opposite of everything else I come across online. EQ's aging playerbase maybe.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

jetz0r posted:

Disregard this.

You went in general, didn't you?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

meat gnome posted:

I like those zones too but I can play in them right now, for free, on Live servers, Alkabor, or Project 1999. I want new stuff when I spend $40.

Eh, personally I love velious, but there's zero challenge, exploration potential, or surprises there anymore. I'm fine with an updated velious that brings people back and lets me play on my level 95. It sounds like it'll be some new zones too, so it's probably how they just crammed an entire expansion of new zones into faydwer.

I've liked previous revamps like feerott, erudin burning, and cazic thule in HoT, and I imagine this will be similar. Modernized Tower of Frozen Shadows? yes please! Can we still buy expansions with station cash? Because christmas they usually do double/triple cash iirc.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 11, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Pilsner posted:

I dunno, if there's one thing I love about EQ, it's that I can go to Kelethin, Plane of Fear, Mistmoore, The Karanas, all of Kunark and Velious, etc., etc., and see it in the exact same state as it was 13 years ago. I would scream if they overhauled every old zone.

Especially if it's like the new freeport. God that zone blows. Last time I ran through on my 85 wizard some new see-invis militia mob quadded me for 64k hits. What the gently caress.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Catullus posted:

Guys, i need help on where to level.
Currently level 84 wizard kiting in toskirakk and even doing the weak boars with lesson on it's slow as all hell. Planning on getting some more AAs at 85, around 1k AAs right now.

I liked the gators in loping plains because they basically spawned just as fast as I could kill the full coast while having minimal downtime. So I would use the vet aa to restore hp/mana if that was up, and could typically kite for 30 full minutes before needing a break. Mana potions and other gimmick mana regen is nice to keep in a groove. It felt faster than tosk to me and was so easy that I could easily watch TV without paying attention to the screen much at all. Now and then I would take an ooc regen break. Bind at the little hill, and secondary bind at the gator teeth turn-in, since that gives pretty sweet aaexp.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

MrTheDevious posted:

The best option is really just to buy HoT T1 visible and enough dream motes for the nonvis slots. It's the only thing that makes 81-85 halfway non-miserable

This. There is stuff like others are mentioning, but it's a giant hassle because no one bothers with it, and in the time it takes you to get it you can just power to HOT/VOA/whatever is easily attainable and still relevant. At 85+ you start seeing ridiculous stat leaps on gear for dirt cheap prices and from there I just jumped right into the VoA stuff. It's a few awkward levels where it feels like mobs hit way too hard and you have few upgrades, but I think blasting past it is better than lingering for gear upgrades, aside from brain-numbingly easy AA-grind spots where it doesn't matter much anyway.

Question: Did they ever change monks so that stuff like the 4-5 kicks auto-activate? I asked a dev once and he got snippy and said that it was part of the game and making flying kick auto-attack destroys a fundamental part of being a monk :rolleyes:. I don't want to buy into a new expansion just because I feel like I'm playing a whack-a-mole simulator on my monk at level 95 and I loathe that poo poo. I even set up a G-15 macro to chain spam like 7 abilities I use regularly, but that messed with my shaman bot when I switched windows and eventually the whole thing just became unfun to the core. Whack-a-mole hotbar gameplay is seriously the only reason I'm not playing now.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 2, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Pilsner posted:

There are a lot of skills, but we're lvl 95-100 now, and do you remember when monks and rogues were literally auto-attack and use one skill every 5 seconds? :) Quite an improvement in my eyes.

Thats EXACTLY what I want :(. I want skills to be either attention-required reactive stuff, or "press auto-attack and forget", and a bunch of stuff I have is neither, it's just "press when cooldown is refreshed". I already played a bard in PoP era, I'm completely over constant pointless key mashing. I have 7 hotbars of random poo poo to use, and while some of it is timed, a lot of it like flying/stunning kick/cloud of fists is brainless "press whenever it pops up" kind of stuff in most groups since I don't raid often and never need to conserve stamina (I'm at 55-60kish I think,nothing I have makes a dent on it typically). All the cooldown reductions make it even worse, since stunning kick is like 6 second timer last I played. An "auto-use on autoattack" toggle would make it so much more enjoyable. This is probably 100x worse for me since I'm an achievement whore and so many skills for the achievements raise like 1 time in 6000 (disarm and the like)

It's just not fun, challenging, or in any way engaging pressing flying/stunning kick every 6(9?) seconds along with a bunch of the other "use every time it's up" skills. I totally get that a lot of stuff is situational, like grappling strike and other activated abilities, but I want to chill and chat with people when I'm grinding/questing, not play a whack-a-mole when there's literally no skill or reactivity required for stuff like flying kick. It's like, "press when not grey" and thats it. I realize 95% of this applies to other MMOs and lovely skill rotations and whatever else, but I'm not really comparing because I don't particularly like those either.

I have 7 near-full hotbars now of skills, gear clickies, potions, and other random junk I need to remember to use once every X minutes. Most of it situational, but drat that poo poo stopped being fun a long time ago. I think it was sometime around the 3k AA mark and getting full click gear.

I realize I need to stop trying to max out stuff like disarm/intimidate/begging and other dumb poo poo like that because it's making it exponentially worse. Why did they have to add an achievement for it :negative:

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 2, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Not Grover posted:

You can try using a macro, and put each kick on a separate line. It won't completely fix things, but it could mitigate some of the annoyance. However, if you do that, you'll need to be aware that it won't show you the timers, so you'll have to still have to (one? maybe two?) button mash, and if the skills are on different timers, you won't have an easy way to see when things refresh.

Thats kind of what I did. I have a G15 macro that basically fires off Flying kick, stunning kick, cloud of fists, disarm, intimidation endlessly. It's just kind of annoying and feels like an ordeal to use since it locks out chat. I should probably just roll mage or something, but I'm at 95 with like 4kAA and T4 VoA and it's hard to drop a character like that. I'm just venting and was checking in to see if an auto-toggle for skills was in game yet. The bottom line here is that I'm lazy and hate repetition and that's a personal problem, I guess :shobon:. The worst part is when I take 6-7 months off and come back to hotbar hell and don't remember what most of it is for.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 2, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Another thing I feel about monks is that the more you outdate content in terms of gear and levels, the better monks are. That goes for everyone, but theres definitely stuff my monk can plow through that other classes might struggle on, since he can just keep mending damage off endlessly. The avoidance, 30 second mend, and FD work great on content an expansion or two old, and you can just blaze through everything without ever feeling at risk. The only time I really felt threatened was in VoA and UF and that's because mob dps was just too high to keep up with, I couldn't mend the difference, and I wasn't evading their attacks like I did other stuff. I think VoA in general gave people a lot of problems at the time I was playing though and some stuff like mob hp got nerfed later into the expansion.

At some point in T3 VoA was the line where I just decided, "I don't want to get hit by any of this stuff, ever." So it's kind of like...you can tank old stuff and trash like a boss, but current expansion stuff will probably give you grief.

I never use mounts on my monk, ever. Run8 is enough for me.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

xZAOx posted:

Maybe it's just me, but all this talk about a class' solo abilities defeats the main enjoyment of EQ.

Kind of, but the playerbase on my server is pretty much split into raiders, people who want to just grind a few spots for AA for months on end, and low levels. Trying to get a group together to do VoA T2-3 quests was horrible and not fun. I also like going back and doing a lot of old stuff for completion achievements. Chances are no one else wants to quest in older zones like Underfoot, so solo just is a fact a lot of the time. I play sporadically so getting a regular crew is impossible.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Shaman+monk with (sometimes)tank+healer is my setup. Shaman kind of felt increasing irrelevant and I mainly started using him for dots+buffs though. I toyed with the idea of subbing in a bard for overhaste instead of shaman and just buffing now and then when they expired, but I was ultimately too lazy.

I did a large amount of HoT/VoA with just my monk duoing with my friend who did Paladin/enchanter. we used a rogue/cleric/rogue merc. Enchanter wasn't even really there for very much aside from buffing and occasional crowd control and it all felt very effective.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

RCarr posted:

We all know it's not possible to get into a group.

I wish they would implement some sort of cross-server group finder kind of thing. I realize this is a pipe dream since we JUST got offline banking, but still. Basically everyone I know feels compelled to box, the servers are cliquey as gently caress, and it's absolutely brutal for new players once they hit that, "welcome to VoA" roadblock. I managed to make a few friends when I was playing daily and did most of HoT/VoA with them, but after they moved on and my playtime became sporadic, groups just were ridiculously difficult to ever get into. It's kind of hilarious on FV because I've played every other year or since 2005, and the exact same 2-3 groups of people are always still there, still playing, and still in the same tight groups. I've taken to calling one of them "The crazy cat lady clique" and I know that no matter how long I stay away, they'll be there when I get back.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 7, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I don't think it's just a matter of nostalgia and getting older though. Dark souls sucked me in and gave me that same feeling of wonder and amazement that old school eq did, and I plugged countless hours into it. I realize it's not an MMO, but I think that's exactly what the problem is. It's that MMOs have stagnated and become an entire genre of wow clones over the last decade (with a few rare exceptions like EVE). I've played just about every MMO and they all feel like bland, soulless wow clones now and don't innovate or capitalize on the stuff that made EQ fun for me (A great example is guild wars 2. There is pretty much zero communication or socializing in that game. You just join a zerg and run blindly from A to B to C.). I think games still have potential, but as long as they just continue to knock off the wow model, we'll feel the same way because it's essentially the same game over and over and over. I think wow did a lot of awesome stuff in 2004, but MMOs essentially stopped innovating after that.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

[pre-emptive edit: Something about this seems off, because I think riposte does count for damage done. But there definitely is a "pull everything in the zone and let SK take hits and get full exp from level 1" method that we used.

I Forget the exact process because I wasn't playing the SK, but I think it requires the lowbie have some sort of AE attack to tag everything once, basically pull the entire zone with SK and let the high level riposte everything until dead. I got to level 70 in about 6-8 hours clocked PLing 3 characters with a friend. The wizard/mage PBAE spells with no upper limit on what they can hit was what we were using. iirc it relies on SK proc stuff on ripostes not counting for damage done to the mob, so it's like, "pull everything in zone -> click spell --> gain 15 levels in a pull". Curse of frailty(?) also didn't count for mob damage, so you can have the low level hit it for 1hp of damage then destroy it with curse for full exp.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 9, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Also on FV and agree I would never leave. Being able to buy your way through the game helps if you don't feel like raiding or camping stuff for ridiculous amounts of time, and the population is decent enough that there are some opportunities to group and such if you want (it's cliquey but I imagine thats basically any eq server: decade old game and all). Raids exist, butnot bleeding edge content and always feels an expansion or two back unless you're in the one endgame raid guild (Unless that changed recently). For the average player I would say FV is pretty rad. My mentality is basically, "who cares if you can't raid the newest and greatest. It's everquest and raiding is about as fun as having a cavity filled."

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 11, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I don't know, its just never been an issue for me. I've always been good at playing the economy game and found the stuff I could buy to be pretty decent for the group content and quests I wanted to do. Stuff like conch of the tides and claws of the orc lord might not be poo poo to people raiding current content, but it makes grouping up with a few buddies and doing other stuff pretty easy. Outside of some t3-t4 nameds, a buddy and I were able to do pretty much all of the VoA group progression and cheeves and thats really as far as I care to play in everquest. Don't goonrushes generally just get to about level 80 before quitting anyway?

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

jetz0r posted:

No, it's still Somalia because it's the libertarian paradise server.

Rapture :smug: