Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Demicol posted:

I finally got my SD Wing Gundam last month after waiting nearly 5 months for it to get stocked on HLJ. I finished it in like an hour so I feel kinda cheated waiting that long, it was pretty nice to build and looks good though, no wonder lot of people recommended it.
Any other SD kits worth buying?

2 of the unicorns
The crossbone and strike gundam are pretty fun too. I really felt I got my money's worth on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Selling my extra Gundam Markers
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473214

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lumi posted:

Any advice for how to paint Gundam eyes? What sort of colours should be used to make it glowy and not too flat?

use the stickers

in all seriousness do people actually paint the eyes? Do they have a tiny stencil set?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MG unicorn banshee arrived today. I'm suprised its not ver ka, but its still very nice. It does not seem to share too many parts with the unicorn. The head arms and feet are pretty different

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lostconfused posted:

I'll probably finally get around to trying my hand at painting kits and I have a quick question. After priming the parts how long should I wait before paint can be applied?

I use the Vallejo grey primer and its dry to touch in 10 min. I wait at least 30 min to be sure but It doesn't feel like i need to. That's probably because I'm running it through an airbrush and not hand painting it. I buy it in a pretty large 200ml and I can pour it right into the paint cup as is. I hear it can be bought in 1000ml but i have not seen it.

I would love to try other primers, but this one works so great I don't see why I would.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 16, 2012

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno, it was a pretty fun kit to build as 1/100 no grade. If its anything like the RG freedom I will buy for sure.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know a good place to buy some Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer in the Los Angeles/San Gabriel area? None of my local hobby shops have it and ebay is all HK sellers.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 26, 2012

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TaurusOxford posted:

I can never make bullet holes look quite right. Thanks for the tip though, maybe i'll try adding some stress cracks around them. As for the castration, I figured I might as well do it since it happened to the Nu Gundam in CCA.

try using a #2 pencil around the edges of the hole then you topcoat it.

I started to paint one of my Seed no grade zakus today. What do you think of the color scheme?

Im doing Light Army Green for the body with some white accents. Dark Grey for the black parts. I feel like i need a third color for stuff like the stripes on the grenades and maybe that round thing on the elbow. Does anyone have a recommendation for a color that goes well with what I have chosen so far?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 1, 2012

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Ah yes, the growing pile of unfinished kits. The true sign of a gunpla fan :allears:

Oh is that what we are talking about now?

Notice its 2 boxes deep and this is only my small pile. I ran out of room in my closet months ago.
I have a problem

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wfwon posted:

Whats the box on the bottom left, it looks like a box.....of pantie.

sorta kinda, Its these figures

from this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw48o19fySc

the alex gundam appears to be an english version repackaging. It has a skill level of 7 on it. I remember skill levels being a thing when gundam wing kits were blowing up in the US.
This has the normal japanese instructions still.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nice, did you use aurora stickers for the mono eye or what?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TaurusOxford posted:

Christ. I only have 5 kits in storage. Am I a lovely Gunpla-er?

no just a fiscally responsible one. I am building them, but 3 kits come out for every one I build

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ActionZero posted:

I'm going to have a huge pile of gunpla to work on once I find employment, I got a MG V Dash almost a year ago but haven't started cause I kind of want to paint it to get rid of the marks where the parts were on the sprue.

You dont need paint for that, just cut them far away enough from the piece and sand it down and polish with fine grit.

I dont even prime and paint until I cant see where it was cut from.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EthanSteele posted:

It's time to start gearing up to build Sinanju and I come to the problem of the trim. My plan is to spray the areas gold with acrylic or enamel and then do a layer of black in the other medium on top which I'll then rub off from the raised areas with something to reveal the gold underneath. Basically the same principal behind a panel line wash and clean up.

It'll be something like this but gold and black.

What will remove acrylic but not the enamel (or the other way round)? I currently use surgical spirit to clean up my acrylic washes, but that's only over bare plastic, does anybody know how it interacts with enamel?

This seems to be along the lines of what you are trying to do
http://gamerabaenre.com/?page_id=1401

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lobsterman posted:

I need some advice, and I figure this thread is the best place to ask.

So I got the Maxgokin Genesic GaoGaiGar as a gift, and I'm a little intimidated by the thing, since I've my previous robot toy experience is mostly limited to the SRW model kits and a few Revoltechs and Robot Spirits. From what I've read, the thing is a bit infamous for being fragile. (it's the version 1.5, for reference)

Some of the interchangeable parts are very stiff and hard to remove, and I'm currently trying to change one of it's arm pieces but I don't think I can remove the thing without using a tool of some sort. Does anyone have any suggestions on not breaking this thing? I could post pictures of exactly what I'm having trouble with if that'd help.

put it in the fridge for 30 min so the softer parts shrink.

I always do this when I first get a figma so that i dont break anything before I figure out how i want to pose it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpikeMcclane posted:

The hot water / freezer tricks only work on that type of plastic. Other plastics can can lead to horrible, busted results.

thats hot water or freezing. Im just talking about chilling. You can do it on metal too.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has any built any of the muv-luv kits by kotobukiya?

How do they compare in detail and size to a MG gundam?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its more the fault of the V gundam than anything's transforming abilities. I almost feel like the V gundam was their first attempt at making a RG. They gave up and said "good enough let try again in a few years."
I have the Impulse and its pretty solid. Its just a 1/100 no grade with no small parts

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ActionZero posted:

Wouldn't shock me, it's probably more to do with the smaller size (that's bandai's officially stated reason for the MG V2 taking so long isn't it?), there're a few niggles I'm having with the V gundam so far in my construction. The joints where the upper arms can rotate are terrible so I can barely adjust the arms without them falling off and the hip joints are a complete nightmare at times. I think I'm just going to finish getting all the parts together, make it as a V Dash Hexa, mount as much weaponary as it can carry at once, pose it on an action base then never move it again. Still a nice kit and the good outweighs the bad for me (I have a massive robo crush on the overhang cannons and the waist mounted beam cannons).

Bit worried about how well the arms will be able to support the beam smart gun and chaingun what with the aforementioned joints, need to figure some way short of super glue to make rotational joints like those a bit firmer.

I plastic glued extra plastic on and then sanded of the excess to make the joints a little bit bigger.

Dont expect much posing without glue

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
AMIAMI arrived today with a gundam shipment

Very nice packaging as usual

Woop there it is

If you have any questions or want me to open one lemme know.
I was on the fence about buying some of them, but seeing them in person really validates the purchase.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kitfox88 posted:

Strike Witches :catstare:

Lightning Saix makes up for it, post some rad pictures of that mother once it's built.

I'll have you know that I already sold it at a 50% markup on craigslist.
Reselling terrible figures is how I recoup shipping costs.

Does anyone want to buy a HMM Liger Zero and Schneider armor kit?
I picked up an extra set somewhere.

Im also open for trades, nendos, figmas, gunpla, scaled figures, anything really.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurui Reiten posted:

Dear poo poo, it's like you have a loving business going there. Buy low, sell high, make a profit as the middle man.

It's more like a crack dealer that uses his own product. I might make money, but I always come out behind when I keep the really cool stuff

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nasgate posted:

What's the suit in between the two Astrays? All I can see in that image is the ends of the guns about to fire.

Also, that's a genius idea, what terrible figures do you usually get the best deal/markup on?

Its a MG duel from SEED

Any special edition Hatsune Miku will sell for at least double 6 months after release. Just get it from a reputable manufacturer.
Every strike witch Nendo, figma or alter figure will sell for a 50% markup. They dont seem to do re-releases and people just have to get the whole set.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIG-MOE-6677&page=top
this will easily sell for 120.00 next june

You just gotta know the fanbase for some of them
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIG-MOE-5295&page=top
this one will sell

this one wont because they release too often and not all the characters are popular
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIG-MOE-5645&page=top

The touhou figures by Griffon are all easy choices.
Everything new by orchidseed is also good.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Invictus posted:

Do they have to be sealed, or what sort of condition are you looking for here? I've got a box of random built gunpla, a PG Wing Zero Custom, old MG Zaku/RX-78, some other crap.

Bunch of pictures and full list in this here (now apparently archived) thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3481185

I dont have archives. They dont need to be sealed, but they would have to be unbuilt

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
amiami just put up a bunch of insanely rares item in their pre-owned section

If you want to resell anything to feed your crack (gundam) addiction, these are the items to buy
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIG-MOE-02909-R003&page=top
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIG-MOE-02905-R002&page=top
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIG-MOE-02907-R001&page=top
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIG-MOE-02908-R001&page=top
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIG-MOE-02906-R002&page=top

If you dont want to drop that kind of money, any of the cheerful japan items are sure things.

Everything I got preowned from amiami seems to be damaged box goods, except that i can never find any damages.

I already bought the k-on set over a year ago and it was disgusting how much i resold them for.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
where can i buy titties for my 00?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Liger Zero here
Still working on panel lining. Some of the areas i want to reach are really deep and my gundam marker wont fit. Would I use an ink or something to line deep cracks?

I'm really happy with the build quality of the model. Its very sturdy and feels more like a toy than a display piece. Very posable and and simple to build. Easier than a MG gundam, but a few more pieces.
It's quite big, the gundam in the background is a RG.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 19, 2012

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

404GoonNotFound posted:

Would you say it's worth it to get the add-on packs for the alternate forms, or would not buying the full kits come back to bite me in the rear end later?

You dont need to rush any purchases, they have re-released the zero 3 or 4 times now and the armor kits have all been re-released at least once. i would jump on the non-liger kits quick though, they dont seem to re-release them.

I dont see myself changing the armor all the time, so I also bought the panzer, schnieder and jager full kits

the full kits do not come with the white armor needed build the base liger zero.

I have an extra schnieder only kit i am trying to sell. Its already built so I am okay with selling for real cheap.
15.00 shipped anyone?

i hope they make the elephander kit next. Its gonna be huge!

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 19, 2012

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
everyone post your gunpla backlog.
The winner is actually the loser :(

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I build about 3 a month, I just happen to be buying 6 a month

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bimmi posted:

Pretty sure I win the prize schmuck award here:

This does not even include all the poo poo that's no longer in boxes, or the dozen or so kits I've picked up since this photo was taken.

If someone were to make me a reasonable offer for the whole goddamn thing I wouldn't turn 'em down.

that is pretty awesome. I would store mine in my closest but I need the constant reminder to build before it gets truly out of hand.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bimmi posted:

I miss the days when I had, like, ten kits and felt that was too many.

have you ever tried to value your collection using current ebay/amazon pricing?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midjack posted:

Is there something you really want? PM me.

I PM'ed you to help you get over your shameful hoarding problem.

Do you collect anything else like figmas/revoltechs/HMM zoids?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whirblewind posted:

I lose $60-$120 in shipping every month to Amiami.

The cost of shipping blows my god damned mind.

They seem to charge me about +25% of my total order for shipping. That's for EMS shipping. I wonder what the size/weight threshold for SAL unregistered is because im sure it would cost less to break up my shipments into a bunch of little ones.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

arhra posted:

2kg/90cm total package dimensions (L+W+H). Of course, retailers only have a limited variety of box sizes, so occasionally you'll get a package that could theoretically be arranged in a way that would fit under the limit, but not in a way that would fit into any of their boxes...

AmiAmi are pretty good about splitting shipments up if you ask, I think.

I have been able to fit about 3 nendo/figmas but pretty much no MGs

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slightpirate posted:

so I have a bunch of unpainted, but assembled plastic on my shelves. I'd like to try my hand at hand painting some of these. I'm comfortable with spray primer, but airbrushing is a no-go. can I brush on acrylic paint? Can I use warham citadel paints? Granted there's a lot to surface area even on HG models, so Citadel might be super expensive to use, but will it come out OK?

if you can paint vehicles from warham without leaving brush marks everywhere you will be fine.
Personally, I would spray paint the pieces and then pick out detail with paint.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Diospace posted:

Anyone got any news of this years's PG? I hope gonna be Unicorn.:(

Look at this joker. Considering how far in advance we knew about rg zeta I think we would know if a pg was coming in the next 2 months

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 22, 2012

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Big 'ol sale at HLJ for gundam stuff. I just grabbed a PG freedom. Does anyone know if it shares parts with the strike rouge? Since they are both strike variants.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i meant the strike freedom, there is no pg freedom

I remember building all the old seed kits and doing the same arms and legs over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this seems relevant

• Locked thread