Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
arhra
Jun 27, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

I meant I might get Ed anyway. The smallest ones are 6mm then?

I don't know how well paint will take to the plastic, nor if it won't gum up the joint.

There are 4mm joints (with narrower pegs) that they've used a lot lately for wrists (and other parts where the larger joints are too big to work well).

Annoyingly they don't sell them separately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arhra
Jun 27, 2006
So, uh, anyone know where i can get $500 or so in a hurry?

New SoC Mazinger.

300mm tall.

Removable armour plates, and detailed inner frame.

Hangar base.

Light and sound gimmicks.

All for the low, low price of 36750JPY (well, 35000 without tax, and probably further reduced by retailer discounts... but then you've got to add shipping, and that ain't gonna be cheap for something this big).

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

Help a fellow goon out here.

I love shmups and I've got my eye on this kit:

http://www.hlj.com/product/KBYKP-189

However the only other kit I've built before is a Kotobukiya White Glint. It still looks good even without touchup painting.

What I'm asking here is, is if anyone knows this kit will be similar that it still looks good with cutting/glue only.

Dalong has a review of their first Ikaruga kit, which shows a simple unpainted (and un-decaled) snap-build.

And a promo shot of that kit, for comparison:

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

They seem to charge me about +25% of my total order for shipping. That's for EMS shipping. I wonder what the size/weight threshold for SAL unregistered is because im sure it would cost less to break up my shipments into a bunch of little ones.

2kg/90cm total package dimensions (L+W+H). Of course, retailers only have a limited variety of box sizes, so occasionally you'll get a package that could theoretically be arranged in a way that would fit under the limit, but not in a way that would fit into any of their boxes...

AmiAmi are pretty good about splitting shipments up if you ask, I think.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Midjack posted:

You can set up a Paypal billing agreement and they won't charge till it ships.

They don't charge until the item arrives at their warehouse no matter how you pay.

The only wrinkle is that if you have it set up to store items in your private warehouse for shipping later, they'll charge for the item when it arrives, then charge you shipping later when you actually ship your item(s).

arhra
Jun 27, 2006
If you're that impressed by a modern HG, you really do owe it to yourself to pick up a RG at some point before giving up the nippers for good.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Red Bones posted:

I know the first few RGs are a bit fiddly, but how are the more recent ones? Are they fairly stable and free of huge engineering flaws or have they not got a handle on them yet?

They're still fiddly as hell to build, simply due to the sheer amount of tiny parts involved, but they're mostly pretty solid once you put them together now, I think.

Except the Zeta, of course, which from what I've heard/seen (don't actually have one myself) worked out about as well as you'd expect for their first attempt at a transforming RG.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Midjack posted:

This is one of if not the first pack I've heard of them selling.

They did a multi-pack of the 1.0 movie Evas a few years ago.

Also, that previous AmiAmi link was to the Japanese store, which isn't very helpful for most people here. The english version of that page is here:

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=TOY-RBT-3155

One thing to be wary of if anyone does decide to order it - if the Eva multipack is any indication (or any of the larger Revoltechs, like the Zoids, for that matter), Kaiyodo are terrible at designing packaging - rather than stacking a couple of layers of parts trays on top of each other, they laid them all out horizontally, leading to a large (but not very thick) box that resulted in ridiculous shipping costs thanks to the huge shipping box required to fit it:

arhra fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 17, 2013

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Red Bones posted:

Or a master grade style kit of Metal Gear REX.

I'm not sure if it could be described as "MG-style", but Kotobukiya released a 1/100 MG REX kit fairly recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

TasogareNoKagi posted:

East coast US here; my experience is that SAL slows to a crawl during the holiday season, and even EMS takes a bit longer. I've had RSAL orders that shipped in late November only show up after Christmas.

I've generally had fairly good experiences over the Christmas season with SAL to the UK for the past few years - a little slower than usual, but mostly still within the usual 2-3 week timeframe (just averaging a bit closer to the 3-week mark than the rest of the year). The only time I've had major delays is a few years back when a freak snowstorm shut down the Royal Mail entirely just as the holiday post rush started, leading to my RG Char's Zaku taking nearly 6 weeks to arrive (shipped at the end of November, didn't arrive until early January).

• Locked thread