Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
Thanks! I've actually already scrapped it to do a new build of it. Now that I've had experience building the shape, I hopefully will have a nicer looking helmet this time round!

In other news, here's my progress on that Extreme Ghostbusters proton pack! ALMOST DONE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Does anybody know of a place that sells elf ear tips that aren't made of latex? I know they can be made from a lot of different materials, but the only ones I've seen for sale are latex. I have a latex allergy, and even the coolest costume isn't worth spending the next few days peeling off chunks of my ears.

If all else fails I guess I can try to mold my own with silicone or something.

This is just something I want to be able to keep in mind, the costume may never happen, but my friend and I are hoping that after we build my Joan of Arc and her husband's Commander Shepard, we can move on to other armors, and the Elven armor in LOTR is pretty darned cool.

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

I *DO* HAVE A BOBA FETT TATTOO, HE JUST DOESN'T PLAY CLARINET
Working on my first full set of Boba Fett armor here in a few weeks. Hopefully sooner. I've been practicing painting helmets for a while now in preparation.

I'm working on a timelapse video at the moment to show the time it goes into painting one.

The first helmets I ever worked on were the rubies two piece Jango helmets, put bondo on the seam and just repainted. I started with RotJ

Then I attempted an ESB version

Second attempt at ESB, can see better detailing

And finally my third attempt at ESB, mastering all the detailing techniques and overall feeling comfortable with where all the weathering goes. I actually got lucky and got my hands on a mold to make my own very accurate helmets instead of using the terrible rubies toy helmets. Making my own visors as well.

Just proof that practice makes perfect.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Osmethae, those look great!

I'm looking for ideas on how to make part of my spear for Hilde. I don't have a lathe and I can't find anybody that I know in the area who has one, which would be the obvious choice. There are cuff things on the top and bottom and I'm having trouble thinking of a way to make them even and whatnot.

Top cuff:

Bottom cuff:

Whole spear for reference:

I'm planning on adding the cameo and other detailing in apoxiesculpt or something but I really don't know how to get those even shapes without having them be lumpy or something. The rest of the spear is going to be made of wood.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Osmethae posted:

Working on my first full set of Boba Fett armor here in a few weeks. Hopefully sooner. I've been practicing painting helmets for a while now in preparation.

I'm working on a timelapse video at the moment to show the time it goes into painting one.

The first helmets I ever worked on were the rubies two piece Jango helmets, put bondo on the seam and just repainted. I started with RotJ

Then I attempted an ESB version

Second attempt at ESB, can see better detailing

And finally my third attempt at ESB, mastering all the detailing techniques and overall feeling comfortable with where all the weathering goes. I actually got lucky and got my hands on a mold to make my own very accurate helmets instead of using the terrible rubies toy helmets. Making my own visors as well.

Have you been to https://www.thedentedhelmet.com

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

McPantserton posted:

Osmethae, those look great!

I'm looking for ideas on how to make part of my spear for Hilde. I don't have a lathe and I can't find anybody that I know in the area who has one, which would be the obvious choice. There are cuff things on the top and bottom and I'm having trouble thinking of a way to make them even and whatnot.

Top cuff:

Bottom cuff:

Whole spear for reference:

I'm planning on adding the cameo and other detailing in apoxiesculpt or something but I really don't know how to get those even shapes without having them be lumpy or something. The rest of the spear is going to be made of wood.

My first thought was plumbing parts, either PVC or metal. Sometimes when we're looking for a particular shape we just wander around Lowes until we see something that looks right. Occasionally I've had to try and sidestep questions from a particularly knowledgeable clerk "You know this is for paint and this is for insulation, right?"

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

Osmethae posted:

Hey, can you go into any detail about how you make your own visors? My brother's dream project is Zero from Code Geass, and the visor on his cray-cray helmet is so bizarre that we'll probably have to make it custom:

Also I would love to make The Fury from Metal Gear Solid 3 in my lifetime, and that would require another insano helmet:

So any tips on making visors would be really appreciated!

In Yoshimitsu news, I have made pants and started on the shirt-thing. I used green shantung. I just hope it doesn't look too shiny in pictures. They are super comfortable, like shiny pajama pants. I'm going to paint the gold details on because they honestly look painted in the ref pics, plus dry-brushing with Jacquard usually gets pretty good results compared with the lovely stuff they sell at Joann's.

McPantserton, I definitely think you can find appropriate shapes in Home Depot or Lowes for those cuffs, especially the top one. Worst comes to worst, I'm sure you can find wood already cone-shaped online somewhere from a hobby store for the bottom part.

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Hey, can you go into any detail about how you make your own visors? My brother's dream project is Zero from Code Geass, and the visor on his cray-cray helmet is so bizarre that we'll probably have to make it custom

That is pretty crazy. For something like that, first you'd probably have to make or finish the entire helmet to get the circular measurements for a correct fit. I can only really imagine being able to make a circular visor like that with a vacuum former. What you could do is take a block of wood, or multiple stacks glued together and sand them down while you keep checking to see if it fit the helmet.
After that get a flat plastic sheet of some visor material, heat it up, and vacuum form it over the wood block that you made.

Maybe someone else has more ideas but that's about all I can think of.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

RazorBunny posted:

Does anybody know of a place that sells elf ear tips that aren't made of latex? I know they can be made from a lot of different materials, but the only ones I've seen for sale are latex. I have a latex allergy, and even the coolest costume isn't worth spending the next few days peeling off chunks of my ears.

This is just something I want to be able to keep in mind, the costume may never happen, but my friend and I are hoping that after we build my Joan of Arc and her husband's Commander Shepard, we can move on to other armors, and the Elven armor in LOTR is pretty darned cool.

Dude. I dreamed about your Joan of Arc costume last night. It was gorgeous.

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

I guess I kinda lied when I said 'about to make my first Fett armor' because I did once already for a football game. It wasn't all that good because I made it in about a week. The vest was just a t-shirt so the armor sagged a bit if I wasn't careful.

Kansas City Chiefs VS Green Bay Packers 12-18-2011
IT WAS BECAUSE OF ME THAT THIS WAS THE PACKERS FIRST LOSS!
Made the armor out of sintra, then formed the pieces to my body and the battle damage with a heat gun.

(I was working on stormtrooper armor simultaneously)

Finally at the game

And I just found this one the other day that someone took!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Dude. I dreamed about your Joan of Arc costume last night. It was gorgeous.

Hopefully the reality will live up to your expectations!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Alrighty, I'll go cruise Home Depot and Lowe's this weekend and see what I can find!

I definitely had people give me weird looks and/or plumbing advice last year while shopping for costume parts. I was trying to decide if some PVC connectors would work for my 40k jetpack and a nice little old man informed me that I would have some serious plumbing problems if I put my pipes together that way. He was pretty amused when I told him I was building space armor and said I'd probably have better luck finding what I needed than he would, haha. :xd:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

RazorBunny posted:

Hopefully the reality will live up to your expectations!

I'm sure it will! My dream was crazy detailed...I even saw the tiny twists in the wires holding the butterflies aloft. :tinfoil:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Rufus En Fuego posted:

I'm sure it will! My dream was crazy detailed...I even saw the tiny twists in the wires holding the butterflies aloft. :tinfoil:

Nice! Maybe I should let you design it for me, since you have it all figured out :)

I think I'm going to do the butterfly rig as something that clips into the inside of the backplate of the cuirass. I'm fairly sure I can build something that will fold flat for transit and then we can rotate the pieces or whatever to get a cloud.

I wonder what the finest gauge wire is that could support the butterflies and not fall apart. Finer would be better because the wires themselves wouldn't be visible, but very fine wire has a tendency to get crimps in it and break.

God, I still need to clean the craft room. That's going to be a nightmare.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

RazorBunny posted:

Nice! Maybe I should let you design it for me, since you have it all figured out :)

I think I'm going to do the butterfly rig as something that clips into the inside of the backplate of the cuirass. I'm fairly sure I can build something that will fold flat for transit and then we can rotate the pieces or whatever to get a cloud.

I wonder what the finest gauge wire is that could support the butterflies and not fall apart. Finer would be better because the wires themselves wouldn't be visible, but very fine wire has a tendency to get crimps in it and break.

God, I still need to clean the craft room. That's going to be a nightmare.

The backplate rig was pretty much what it was in my dream, with the buckles and supports hidden beneath a red, billowy cloak. It was definitely from about a century before, though. Subconsciouses! :rolleyes:

Will you be making the butterflies or using store bought? You may be able to get away with memory wire used for jewelry making. It's coated in clear plastic and very flexible, so it just bounces back when it bends. It comes in several different gauges and you can get it at Michael's or JoAnn's.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I'll probably use store bought, I've seen some fairly realistic ones.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Osmethae: what is that Stormtrooper armor in the background? FX?

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

Red Robin Hood posted:

Osmethae: what is that Stormtrooper armor in the background? FX?

Correct! FX. Came in a kit like this.. I bought this in 2006 I believe? Or 2007. Was a while ago.

Took me several weeks to put together, the helmet was the worst part. During that time I was just trying to get it set up on a mannequin properly that I had made. My god that was not an easy feat.. my brothers fiance threw my helmet on the ground (BITCHWHOREASS) and broke the black mouth piece off. I need another but not sure where to go for one.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

RazorBunny posted:

I'll probably use store bought, I've seen some fairly realistic ones.

I think it's safe to say that I can't wait to see this when it's finished.

You guys are inspiring me to finally put together my storm trooper armor. Keep it up!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Osmethae posted:

Correct! FX. Came in a kit like this.. I bought this in 2006 I believe? Or 2007. Was a while ago.

Took me several weeks to put together, the helmet was the worst part. During that time I was just trying to get it set up on a mannequin properly that I had made. My god that was not an easy feat.. my brothers fiance threw my helmet on the ground (BITCHWHOREASS) and broke the black mouth piece off. I need another but not sure where to go for one.

What black piece are you speaking of? This is what my armor looked like when it showed up on my doorstep (as you can tell ours are quite different):

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

Red Robin Hood posted:

What black piece are you speaking of? This is what my armor looked like when it showed up on my doorstep (as you can tell ours are quite different):

Yours is vacuum formed with it on. In between the aerators, that rigid piece that pokes out. That was a separate piece on mine I had to attach.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I think mine came with an entire sheet of the stuff and I probably won't need it all. Want me to check if I have any to spare?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I see what you mean -- the vocoder!

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Also I would love to make The Fury from Metal Gear Solid 3 in my lifetime, and that would require another insano helmet:

So any tips on making visors would be really appreciated!

From what I've seen from the only Fury cosplay out there, it's just a 14" acrylic light globe. Those should be easy to source from shops that stock light fixtures, but if you need to order it online, this is where I got mine from for my Deadmau5 helmet!

http://www.1000bulbs.com/category/clear-globe-lamp-covers-with-neck/

For that Zero visor, I recommend making a buck to vacuumform from. I have a friend who bought one of these, and it's just a sheet of 2-3mm clear acrylic sheeting vacuumformed into the shape. You can then tint it with VHT Niteshades, one of those spray-on tints for cars.

MajorGravy fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 4, 2012

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

MajorGravy posted:

From what I've seen from the only Fury cosplay out there, it's just a 14" acrylic light globe. Those should be easy to source from shops that stock light fixtures, but if you need to order it online, this is where I got mine from for my Deadmau5 helmet!

http://www.1000bulbs.com/category/clear-globe-lamp-covers-with-neck/

For that Zero visor, I recommend making a buck to vacuumform from. I have a friend who bought one of these, and it's just a sheet of 2-3mm clear acrylic sheeting vacuumformed into the shape. You can then tint it with VHT Niteshades, one of those spray-on tints for cars.

Thank you!! This is all great information. By God I will make these helmets!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Check it out, I made a thing for my boyfriend's Yoshimitsu outfit!

There are 2 of them so it'll be double-sided once we sew/fusibly web it together. I used an antique gold shimmer ink, then heat-pressed metallic foil over it to get a much more shiny finish than you generally get with screen printed inks. The texture in the fabric resulted in a more hammered look than the foil has on a smoother fabric, but I think the texture's going to give the red portions a lot more depth. The white fabric we've ordered for the skirt parts has a similar brocade pattern. I'm pretty pleased with how these printed--only 2.5 hours and 4 screens total compared to the ~14 hours and 10000000 screens for my stupid Hilde banner!

Edit: You can't tell from the photo but the print is about 40 inches tall, we had to hand-set it on a table. I'm so lucky the production manager at my shop is down with helping me print all my nerd poo poo!

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 4, 2012

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Thank you!! This is all great information. By God I will make these helmets!

If you can make them for relatively cheap I would be interested in buying one. loving Code Geass..

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

RazorBunny posted:

A cosplay friend/acquaintance of mine makes elf ears out of leather. The only drawback (in my mind) is they are on a headband. I think she made a tutorial for them. If you like I can give you her info, or try to find that tut.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

RazorBunny posted:

Does anybody know of a place that sells elf ear tips that aren't made of latex?

Click here for silicone ears. Silicone looks way better than latex, and actually behaves almost like actual skin. The price is a bit higher than latex, but you're paying for quality.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Silhouette posted:

Click here for silicone ears. Silicone looks way better than latex, and actually behaves almost like actual skin. The price is a bit higher than latex, but you're paying for quality.

I actually just ran across that site a few minutes ago! That's pretty cool. I will definitely keep them in mind.

Someday I would love to get into silicone casting myself, but it's on a long, LONG list of techniques I eventually want to learn.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

McPantserton posted:

Check it out, I made a thing for my boyfriend's Yoshimitsu outfit!

Hoooooly crap that is AWESOME. You are amazing!

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

McPantserton posted:

Soul Calibur awesomeness

You have no idea how excited I am to see your Soul Calibur updates, especially Yoshimitsu stuff! Those banners came out beautifully!

Red Robin Hood posted:

If you can make them for relatively cheap I would be interested in buying one. loving Code Geass..

Yeah if I go to all the trouble of setting up a vaccuforming station in my house and it doesn't come out looking like poo poo, it doesn't seem like too much more effort to make a few masks and sell the extras. I'll keep you updated.

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
That level of detail going into that cloth is amazing!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm planning a Megaman costume, in the style of The Protomen. If you don't know who they are, they're a sort of Power-Ballad, Retro 80s Metal concept band based around the general plot of the old NES Megaman games (1+2, specifically).

The issue for me is that the general schtick for their Megaman and Protoman costumes on stage is "Custom Motorcycle Helmet, black shirt, maybe a gun arm"

The Protomen's stage costumes:

Some loving awesome Protoman cosplay, which I think I'll have to use for inspiration:

There is no official concept design for Megaman, as far as I can tell from their website and fan forums, so I have a lot of leeway as far as what I can do. I've decided that I want to roll with a Motorcycle helmet, heavy boots/cowboy boots, and a duster. I think that for the megabuster, I need some sort of removable "glove" like what that Protoman cosplayer has. I'm really kind of blanking on how to make such a thing, though. I have a dirtbike helmet, which I bought for cheap, to test for size. I think I might be able to use it in the final costume with some goggles, though. Any words of advice?

PS: Me looking shocked that this helmet even fits.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

RazorBunny posted:

I actually just ran across that site a few minutes ago! That's pretty cool. I will definitely keep them in mind.

Someday I would love to get into silicone casting myself, but it's on a long, LONG list of techniques I eventually want to learn.

Casting with silicone is just like casting with any other pourable 2 part medium: stir slow, pour high :v:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Silhouette posted:

Casting with silicone is just like casting with any other pourable 2 part medium: stir slow, pour high :v:

Most of the work I've done involved sculpting rather than casting, so I don't have any experience with the technique involved, but I imagine I can just futz around with it and look at tutorials.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yeah, Google will turn up a million and a half articles on casting with various mediums, it's amazing how much information is available these days.

bagshotrow
Apr 23, 2011

Senior Apprentice

Andra of Clan Gavo

I did not become a D'ni loyalist to make friends, and by the way? I haven't

Soarer posted:

A couple of shots of me and my girlfriend at SakuraCon in Seattle.

Holy drat, you know you could pull off Joffrey from Game of Thrones flawlessly?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

So...there's a costume that I have wanted to do for years but never managed to pull together. The actual screen used costume came up for sale today, and I...I bought it. :ohdear:

I don't want to jinx it, because it's not mine until I hear back from them, but I promise as soon as it's a done deal I will post it.

I feel a little weird about wearing a screen used costume, but my friends do it all the time (Necromonger armor), so I guess I can deal with it.

Before I bought it I actually looked up the measurements of the actress who wore it - it would suck to pay that much money for something and not be able to wear it. Looks like it will be a reasonably good fit!

Eeeeeeeeeeee......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Is your friend selling his Necromonger armor? I saw some for sale recently that was screen used...