Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

me: check out this thing i made!
goon friend: is that loss?
me: well NOW i have to redo it, cause it's gonna be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I got commissioned to model up a Czarface helmet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFxPup0lbRg

My client printed it himself, which came out looking pretty nice!

Gonna make one for myself to add to the collection of helmets littering my home.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is this thread dead? Happy Halloween!

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HPteht4C7k

I'm planning on putting together this for a Kid cosplay, but I've never done anything like it before. Do I just buy flat cardboard sheets and cut the pieces out with a knife myself?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

You could go that route, sure. Though, I'd personally try to score some free cardboard boxes from like, the grocery stores and whatnot to use for practice and prototyping. And that arm is really neat, but now it makes me really wanna see a Hob cosplay.

:ninja: EDIT: I'm too lazy to rehost it right now, but if you google image search "Hob cosplay", the first 3 hits show what I mean.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

I guess I'm gonna be spray painting it when I'm done anyway
Now to find clothes to make the rest of the cosplay with, which I'm really stumped on. The red coat is probably my biggest question, the rest I can probably find answers to on my own

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Strelok604 posted:

I guess I'm gonna be spray painting it when I'm done anyway
Now to find clothes to make the rest of the cosplay with, which I'm really stumped on. The red coat is probably my biggest question, the rest I can probably find answers to on my own

Is it a coat, or is it a cape? Because if it's a cape, you might be able to get away with a yard or two of faux red fur
https://www.amazon.com/Fabric-Faux-Fur-Red/s?rh=n%3A12899121%2Cp_n_material_browse%3A378539011%2Cp_n_size_browse-vebin%3A2637801011

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh, hi, cosplay thread! I made a cool thing a few years ago and I want to show it off to somebody, because my kid never wanted to go to comicon with it or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM9mih5v4SQ

Please tell me this is cool, thanks in advance!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That is cool, I espicially like the the color and speed change feature. I'm a huge ghostbusters nerd and it bums me out how little love the 2016 film gets. I'd like to make my own proton pack, but it's hard to find good info on the props even though the production design was outstanding.

This company started making accurate jumpsuits recently, but :homebrew:
https://www.magnoliclothiers.com/paranormal-boilersuit-other-garments-p-1069.html

deoju fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 19, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

deoju posted:

That is cool, I espicially like the the color and speed change feature. I'm a huge ghostbusters nerd and it bums me out how little love the 2016 film gets. I'd like to make my own proton pack, but it's hard to find good info on the props even though the production design was outstanding.

This company started making accurate jumpsuits recently, but :homebrew:
https://www.magnoliclothiers.com/paranormal-boilersuit-other-garments-p-1069.html

Oh, wow.

We just got a jumpsuit and stitched reflective tape to it. Worked pretty well.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I bought a couple of soft parts from Magnoli fairly recently for the Mando costume that I may actually finish one day, and they are not impressive. He's been around the prop and costume community for at least a couple of decades and used to have a reputation for absolutely top-shelf quality, but rumor has it that he's subcontracting a lot of the work out now and many items aren't even close to what the pictures show. The pieces I got would seem to back that theory up. I wasn't thrilled with them at all, just sloppy work in general and definitely not made to the measurements I provided. That's not to say that the GB suits still might not be great, but I'd be wary of buying anything from him again after this experience.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Gonna try and necro this thread

I'm trying to work on a way to make the claws and spiky bits for a Shredder costume, but I'm bumping into some questions.

Originally I was going to sculpt a master out of clay, then make a two sided silicone mold from that, and cast the end product in something. But I'm not sure if the silicone mold would work with liquid plastic, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Smooth-Cast-300-Liquid-Plastic-Compound/dp/B004BN7G0E.

I know silicone tends to not stick to much, but I don't know if liquid plastic is asking too much.

I don't want to cast in resin because that would be a bit too expensive for what I want to make, and clay I think would be too brittle after setting and wouldn't hold up to wear and tear. But are there better alternatives for either the process or the end result? I'd like to keep this under $100, but I'm flexible.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

CzarChasm posted:

Gonna try and necro this thread

I'm trying to work on a way to make the claws and spiky bits for a Shredder costume, but I'm bumping into some questions.

Originally I was going to sculpt a master out of clay, then make a two sided silicone mold from that, and cast the end product in something. But I'm not sure if the silicone mold would work with liquid plastic, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Smooth-Cast-300-Liquid-Plastic-Compound/dp/B004BN7G0E.

I know silicone tends to not stick to much, but I don't know if liquid plastic is asking too much.

I don't want to cast in resin because that would be a bit too expensive for what I want to make, and clay I think would be too brittle after setting and wouldn't hold up to wear and tear. But are there better alternatives for either the process or the end result? I'd like to keep this under $100, but I'm flexible.

The smooth on video showing how to use Smooth-cast 300 appears to use a silicone mold. The general rule for any casting is to use a release agent which is often an aerosol spray. Im sure smooth on sells one.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Foam clay/moldable foam might be nice, depending? They sell it in-store at Michael's if that is of any help.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Thanks both.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You could also look into 3D printing but that might take that part of the creative process more out of your hands than you'd like!

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Ok yes so since we've been resurrected I have questions about Eva foam.

I have a lot of smaller pieces attached to a larger piece. I'm planning on heat treating/shaping all my foam first before assembly.

My question is, plastidip before assembly doing each lil piece, or after to cover the whole assembled piece? I have the paint on plastidip because I live in an apartment complex and am trying to avoid anything aerosol if possible.

I'm using contact cement to adhere if that makes any difference.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

cool kids inc. posted:

Ok yes so since we've been resurrected I have questions about Eva foam.

I have a lot of smaller pieces attached to a larger piece. I'm planning on heat treating/shaping all my foam first before assembly.

My question is, plastidip before assembly doing each lil piece, or after to cover the whole assembled piece? I have the paint on plastidip because I live in an apartment complex and am trying to avoid anything aerosol if possible.

I'm using contact cement to adhere if that makes any difference.

After assembly and heat sealing. And the paint on plastidip isn't great imo but try it I guess

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Deviant posted:

After assembly and heat sealing. And the paint on plastidip isn't great imo but try it I guess

Thanks!

I'm amenable to the spray on if it is necessary. I just don't want to go through the effort of building a spray box or whatever I'd have to do to get it done here unless it's absolutely necessary.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

my cat is norris posted:

You could also look into 3D printing but that might take that part of the creative process more out of your hands than you'd like!

Also, with this coming up, check the rules of any con you might go to. Shredder's bracers and hand blades may not fit most cons' weapon policy unless they're made of something soft and flexible.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Not a con, strictly speaking, but I went to a new heathen religious event yesterday! The "long night" or "run of the yule goats", inspired by the krampus run, wild hunt and other long night traditions where the forces of darkness run into town to bring back the light.

I went as your run-of-the-mill krampus/horned god demonic figure, which I was somewhat content with (considering I threw a headpiece and runic staff amulets together in hours, and used leftover fantasy stuff for accessories). However, my date showed as a huge gently caress-off night moth, and I just had to show you guys:

(she was even going to walk on stilts, but the ice sheets prevented her :aaa: )

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Moth ma'am?

Tias
May 25, 2008

She thought about developing the character next year as "mother moth", carrying smaller offspring about her.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Does anybody recognize this ring? I ordered a ring from the Dark Souls from AliExpress and they sent me this one by mistake. I thought maybe you costume goons might know what it is really from.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I got you: https://www.etsy.com/dk-en/listing/211062125/viking-raven-ring-bronze-adjustable

Although, as a viking reenactor, I gotta say this isn't necessarily a good interpretation of mammen style like the storefront claims.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just looking for an opinion.

I'm thinking of building a "pre snap" iron man arm with all the colors and whatnot.

How batshit insane is the difficulty level in getting the colors to kinda ebb and flow (plus be the right color)?

Bought the 3d files a while back, figured I'd print like 80% of it in clear resin, but the light is what's killing me.

There's a statue of it that looks amazing but it's also 600 bucks. I'd like to think I could make one a bit cheaper, even if I sub out the lighting rig to someone with talent.

Pic of statue lit up:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 20, 2022

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

quote:

How batshit insane is the difficulty level in getting the colors to kinda ebb and flow (plus be the right color)?

Do you mean the colors of the infinity stones?
Or the colored cracks that are running down that example?

LED projects are like, pretty stupid easy these days, actually!

Frankly Built has a bunch of videos that would probably be a good resource
https://www.youtube.com/@FranklyBuilt/videos

Although I find that like 95% of his content is just explaining 3d printing and not all the cool esoteric bits of what he's doing

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Thanks for the info! :)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ms Cruft and I have been working on Cruft Jr's prom dress. We finally got everything connected today!

It uses an accelerometer to detect when you turn, and changes color based on the speed at which you turn. So when you twirl or just shake your rump, the color hue shifts. Also the brightness shifts based on how you're accelerating up or down, so if you bounce, the dress reacts to that too. Should be pretty good for dancing!

Here's an energy-saving "sparkle" mode:

https://i.imgur.com/jFPGOek.mp4

This is based off of Erin St Blaine's kickass Fiber-Optic Pixie Skirt

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

cruft posted:

Ms Cruft and I have been working on Cruft Jr's prom dress. We finally got everything connected today!

It uses an accelerometer to detect when you turn, and changes color based on the speed at which you turn. So when you twirl or just shake your rump, the color hue shifts. Also the brightness shifts based on how you're accelerating up or down, so if you bounce, the dress reacts to that too. Should be pretty good for dancing!

You two are good parents.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That owns.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

That's amazing

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Goddamn, you are setting a high bar here. That's awesome.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

oh right this thread exists.

here's a bunch of stuff i've 3d printed and made

Dynamax Band, Pokemon Sword & Shield

Rebecca's Pistols, Cyberpunk Edgerunners

Armored Gauntlets, to be used for Loremaster from Helltaker

Excalibur, various FATE properties. I am specifically trying out XTC-3D smoothing epoxy for this one, which I have not worked with yet:
Saber Artoria will be debuted at Katsucon next month

After one layer of epoxy, which will be sanded to a full smoothness

Testament's scythe and accessories, Guilty Gear Strive. This was later assembled and painted by its new owner.

Bells, Animal Crossing

Happy Chaos Gun, Guilty Gear Strive

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 12, 2023

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Deviant posted:

here's a bunch of stuff i've 3d printed and made

Your prints continue to impress me. I wish I had the patience and skill to work this kind of physical artistry, but I try to make up for it with electronics :)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

deviant is my go-to for printing needs, and also cricut needs

i have the patience for neither device

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

anyone who says 3d printing is easy or cheating has never owned one or tried to fix a broken one

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Deviant posted:

anyone who says 3d printing is easy or cheating has never owned one or tried to fix a broken one

Or had to do all of the post-processing work to turn parts from the printer into usable, good-looking props.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It's a LOT easier to finish the pieces when you ask if they want the detailed version or the 2 foot version. Detail is intricate and expensive and basically overkill. 2 foot version means it looks good from 2 feet away. No one's gonna try a macro lens on it, just shelf decoration. Plus, way cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

[very Randall voice] no one has standards any more