Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Man... that looks so badass!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Weekend progress!

Aaaahhh :gonk: That's my leg/arm/torso, my buddy's creepy-rear end head and torso, and my fiance's torso. THEY ARE MULTIPLYING.

My scabbard! I made it using a flat sheet of MDF and some thin square dowels, which I glued together and filled with bondo, then beveled the edges with my dremel. I'm really happy, the bevel is really smooth and once I line the inside with felt and add the other face, it's going to fit the sword perfectly! It feels nice to have something go so smoothly. :shobon:

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
That's beautiful! How did you make the curly parts? I have to make about 1000 of those for Yoshi's armor, and I was planning on using foam and a ton of apoxie sculpt, but I'm curious to know if there are faster ways.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

That's beautiful! How did you make the curly parts? I have to make about 1000 of those for Yoshi's armor, and I was planning on using foam and a ton of apoxie sculpt, but I'm curious to know if there are faster ways.

I'm not totally positive it'll be faster, I'm a glutton for punishment. :downs: I made a flat center shape out of MDF with a gap in the middle to fit the rod, then added a smaller MDF tier on both sides to help fill it out. I then made a spine on both sides out of cardboard to guide the height and center of the bevel, filled it in mostly with paper clay to conserve weight, then topped it off with a bondo layer. I freaking hate sanding paper clay but solid bondo so heavy. Here's my pictures of that part:

It's solid as hell, lightweight, and pretty smooth but it did take a bit of sanding with the dremel and then a sanding block to get the bondo as smooth as I wanted it.

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
Have you tried using Apoxie sculpt, or some other types of air drying clays to sculpt those types of shapes?

Also, those body casts would probably give me nightmares if I bumped into them in the dark.

MajorGravy fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 29, 2012

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

MajorGravy posted:

Have you tried using Apoxie sculpt, or some other types of air drying clays to sculpt those types of shapes?

Also, those body casts would probably give me nightmares if I bumped into them in the dark.

I'm ordering a pound of it literally right now! :) It'd still be a lot of material for clay and Apoxiesculpt is so blasted expensive, but I'm probably going to use it for the more subtle decorations on the sword and armor. That's the plan so far, anyhow!

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Apoxie sculpt is so so great. I need to order more because I fully plan to use it on EVERYTHING.

Fiberglass? Not so great. I hate this poo poo, but it is mega strong, so I guess I'm going to keep using it. Everything I made this weekend still looks intensely ugly, but hopefully I'll have some progress pics soon!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Well, things went better than expected, though still not entirely satisfied with it. Everything fit decently, though I'd like to lose a couple pounds from around my gut to have it fit nicer, but I didn't make any alterations from the commercial pattern I used. Facings are a bitch and a half and came out looking kinda lovely from a construction standpoint, but didn't look half as terrible once I got the dress on and facings flipped into place like they were supposed to be.

On theatrical makeup: I think I needed to invest in a much larger container of Final Seal because although my facial makeup stayed pretty well (I had done it first and also had more coats of the sealant on it), my arms were rubbing off on everything, to the point that I ended up going in the convention center bathroom and spending an hour scrubbing it all off. Even so, I'm going to get gloves to use in lieu of makeup on my arms for next time because then I can take them off to eat.

Also, horns: buying some. I can't sculpt for poo poo, my attempt looks horrid, gently caress it all.

Me looking like an especially derp-tastic Homestuck:

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights

McPantserton posted:

I'm not totally positive it'll be faster, I'm a glutton for punishment. :downs: I made a flat center shape out of MDF with a gap in the middle to fit the rod, then added a smaller MDF tier on both sides to help fill it out. I then made a spine on both sides out of cardboard to guide the height and center of the bevel, filled it in mostly with paper clay to conserve weight, then topped it off with a bondo layer. I freaking hate sanding paper clay but solid bondo so heavy. Here's my pictures of that part:

It's solid as hell, lightweight, and pretty smooth but it did take a bit of sanding with the dremel and then a sanding block to get the bondo as smooth as I wanted it.

You do good work with that sanding. I too am not a fan of sanding that stuff. But it is so light I just can't help myself.

As for what I am doing I have mostly been spring cleaning I have a bunch of little costumes to finish. But once those are done I plan to make these bad boys.

Berserker from Tera.

Skarre from Warmachine

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Veila posted:

You do good work with that sanding. I too am not a fan of sanding that stuff. But it is so light I just can't help myself.

As for what I am doing I have mostly been spring cleaning I have a bunch of little costumes to finish. But once those are done I plan to make these bad boys.

I basically always end up surfacing paper clay in Bondo, it just sands so much better! I like the finish of it better, too. But yeah, I can't stay away, I got another huge box of it during the Joanns Memorial Day sale for half price.

Those costumes both look totally badass! You're bolder than me, gunning for that Berserker armor.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

McPantserton posted:

I basically always end up surfacing paper clay in Bondo, it just sands so much better! I like the finish of it better, too. But yeah, I can't stay away, I got another huge box of it during the Joanns Memorial Day sale for half price.

Those costumes both look totally badass! You're bolder than me, gunning for that Berserker armor.

Only because I have a personal trainer getting me into shape for it. lol

Also have you ever tried using bondo over Great Stuff? I use great stuff a ton for big props like Sylvanas's bow I used paper mache over the top but I think it could be smoother.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Veila posted:

Only because I have a personal trainer getting me into shape for it. lol

Also have you ever tried using bondo over Great Stuff? I use great stuff a ton for big props like Sylvanas's bow I used paper mache over the top but I think it could be smoother.

I have not, but I bet you could do some awesome stuff with it! You might have to prime the foam first, though, Bondo definitely corrodes pink foam, at least. Found that one out the hard way...

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

McPantserton posted:

I have not, but I bet you could do some awesome stuff with it! You might have to prime the foam first, though, Bondo definitely corrodes pink foam, at least. Found that one out the hard way...

Hrm I will have to investigate and report my findings.

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
Definitely prime your foam with a coat of Plasti-dip, or PVA glue first. Bondo apparently also corrodes blue foam, which resulted in a sword I was making looking like a bunch of mice had eaten it.

Anyways, progress on my helmet! Ears get mounted this weekend!

And I think everything looks sexy in a coat of flat black.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
I've agreed to make Demon Hunter costumes (Diablo 3) for my husband and I for DragonCon this year.

What have I gotten myself into? Wonderflex practice sessions begin this weekend! Any tips for handling the stuff?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

four lean hounds posted:

I've agreed to make Demon Hunter costumes (Diablo 3) for my husband and I for DragonCon this year.

What have I gotten myself into? Wonderflex practice sessions begin this weekend! Any tips for handling the stuff?

I found it helpful to shape the pieces over something smooth that it wouldn't stick to, like a glass. I'd press parts of the Wonderflex down and shape it over the smooth curve like an inch at a time.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I got redirected here from LightningKimba's thread. I'm curious as to where the best place to buy specific items of clothing. Say I see a picture of someone, or a drawing of a character, and they're wearing some interesting clothing. If they're wearing a design, generally it'll be hard to get unless it's a real design, or you know how to make your own, but that's not a problem. My problem is if they're wearing a specific style of clothing. I can describe it better with pictures:

Take that for example. How do I search for that specific style of coat, or undershirt, or whatnot (if anyone knows where I can buy stuff like that, please do tell). I don't know the names of things, so how do I find them? A cosplay example would be this:

How do I find that hat or that coat? Stuff like that always bothers me, since I can't really look around shops IRL because I'm in Australia and there's not much in the ways of huge malls, so there's hardly anything to choose from, so I want to shop online. The problem is I don't know where to shop online? Can anyone recommend big stores that aren't super expensive designer stuff? My budget's looking at around $200 for a full outfit but I can stretch that if it's impossible to find anything that cheap.

For a little bit of content, if you ever need socks, this is the best place to go: http://sockdreams.com

Such a wide range, and super cheap.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

As far as those specific coats (if you needed something from the top picture for example) you'd just look in different places that sell men's clothing, but besides it being a stylized suit jacket, a dress shirt (with a different colored collar and cuffs) and a waistcoat (vest) or two, they don't really have anything terribly special about them except the fashion style. If you wanted to get that specific you'd either need to buy what you see or make it yourself, unfortunately. That's where you get into patterns and modifying them.

As far as the costume example, that jacket is a pretty stylized peacoat, and you might be able to find something similar in a women's shop, which you might have to add on your own piping (the white trim part) as well as replace the buttons to something custom, I'd imagine. That hat is probably something like a newsboy hat, which you can just find your own fabric or ribbon to tie around the band.

Online shops, I'd try Amazon and pretty much just good ol' google, since I'm a bit unfamiliar with AU sites. :shobon: Another goon might be able to help you out with that. But I suggest going to some fashion/clothing oriented websites and learn the names of clothing.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

paisleyfox posted:

Online shops, I'd try Amazon and pretty much just good ol' google, since I'm a bit unfamiliar with AU sites. :shobon: Another goon might be able to help you out with that. But I suggest going to some fashion/clothing oriented websites and learn the names of clothing.

Not an issue there, by the way. Buying overseas + Shipping is usually cheaper than buying them here regardless.

Thanks for the tips though! :)

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Jewel posted:

Not an issue there, by the way. Buying overseas + Shipping is usually cheaper than buying them here regardless.

Thanks for the tips though! :)

Fanplusfriend.com carries a lot of cosplay and gothic lolita/aristocrat coats, some of them are similar in shape/silhouette to the stuff you posted. I have a few things from there that I think are pretty good quality for the price.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
The first ensemble in that first pic is a modern day cut styled to be reminiscent of historic costume (front facing and collar), but the second is a regular ol' suit coat with the front edge pinned up and back (also something done hundreds of years ago). I'm not sure you'd be able to find the first coat easily, but everything else can be found at a suit shop or even a thrift shop, if you have a decent one in your area. As with all suits, however, fit is absolutely key - even an expensive suit will look like garbage if it doesn't fit perfectly. PS, the second unbuttoned vest is probably women's.

As for the rest, yeah...Paisley's right. I'd only add that most peacoats are made of wool, so if this is something you're not planning on wearing during colder months you may want to look into coat dresses or trenches.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

McPantserton posted:

Fanplusfriend.com carries a lot of cosplay and gothic lolita/aristocrat coats, some of them are similar in shape/silhouette to the stuff you posted. I have a few things from there that I think are pretty good quality for the price.

That looks like a good site but ugh, every image is so tiny on the cosplay section, you can't even take a good look at what you're buying.

Also, I remembered something else I was curious about.

Does anyone know where this is from, and/or what the name of this type of clothing is? It seems to be for something promotional or from a videogame/movie due to the 2013 logo on the back, but I have no clue.

I really want it though :v:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
It's just a label. http://store.ad2013.com/product.php?cat=54&id=227

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
Yeah, it's pretty hard to come by such coats and fashion here in Australia (Perth especially). I normally trawl OP Shops and the nearby Salvation Army stores as they have tons of really,really vintage clothes and out-of-fashion apparel.

I think nearly half of my wardrobe has been stuff I've picked up for under $10! drat you, corduroy jackets, why can't I stop buying you!

Jewel
May 2, 2009

MajorGravy posted:

Yeah, it's pretty hard to come by such coats and fashion here in Australia (Perth especially). I normally trawl OP Shops and the nearby Salvation Army stores as they have tons of really,really vintage clothes and out-of-fashion apparel.

I think nearly half of my wardrobe has been stuff I've picked up for under $10! drat you, corduroy jackets, why can't I stop buying you!

Highfive fellow OPshop and Salvo shopper :australia:

I need to check em more often. Also thank you so much Rufus. Expensive but I might keep it in mind.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I finally ran out of apoxie sculpt and need to wait for more to arrive before I can finish my masks :qq:

For the record, 1 pound of apoxie sculpt lasted me through building up 3 masks and covering one big-rear end horn, so it really does go a long way. I intend to finish most of the decorative pieces on my armor with apoxie sculpt because I hate Bondo. I seriously don't know how y'all work with it, I haaaate it. I ended up going over dents in my fiberglassed pieces with spackle because I could not handle another round with the Bondo. It dries in loving like 30 seconds!! Seriously, I don't know how you deal with it :psyduck:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Speaking of socks, We Love Colors is a great site in general, but especially if you're looking for a pair of solid color socks. You'd be amazed at how hard it is to find basic, white knee highs; my friend had a clerk tell her in all seriousness to, "try Hot Topic for quirky things like that."

Since when are white knee highs quirky?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I finally ran out of apoxie sculpt and need to wait for more to arrive before I can finish my masks :qq:

For the record, 1 pound of apoxie sculpt lasted me through building up 3 masks and covering one big-rear end horn, so it really does go a long way. I intend to finish most of the decorative pieces on my armor with apoxie sculpt because I hate Bondo. I seriously don't know how y'all work with it, I haaaate it. I ended up going over dents in my fiberglassed pieces with spackle because I could not handle another round with the Bondo. It dries in loving like 30 seconds!! Seriously, I don't know how you deal with it :psyduck:

I put less curing agent in when it dries that fast, you can be pretty flexible with how much you add depending on the temperature where you're doing it. I also try to stay out of the sun, that speeds up the cure time like you wouldn't believe. Love that bondo.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Hongkongaton posted:

Speaking of socks, We Love Colors is a great site in general, but especially if you're looking for a pair of solid color socks. You'd be amazed at how hard it is to find basic, white knee highs; my friend had a clerk tell her in all seriousness to, "try Hot Topic for quirky things like that."

Since when are white knee highs quirky?

I had kind of a bad experience with them recently :(

I had a pair of flesh-tone tights from them that I loved, because they were great quality and opaque enough to cover my tattoos when I needed to. They finally got old and worn out, so I ordered a couple more pairs.

First, the order was delayed several weeks, and they never notified me of the delay - I had to find out by emailing them, and they replied (over a week after I emailed them) saying that there was a problem with that color and they weren't going to ship any until it was resolved. Okay, I guess - it would have been nice to know, since I actually wanted them for something and ended up having to buy another pair elsewhere in the meantime.

Then they finally sent the tights out, and they're GREEN. Like, in dim light (like in my bedroom in the early morning) they look fairly flesh-colored, but out in daylight they have a distinctly greenish cast. So much for not sending any out until the dye issue was resolved...

I didn't bother trying to get them replaced, so I don't know if the company would have stepped up and helped me out. I was already kind of disgruntled with their delay in replying to my first email.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Wow, that's really disappointing. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I guess I'll keep that in mind if I try to order from them.

Edit: and of course as soon as I read your post, WLC makes a post on Facebook. Timing!

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
I have always heard really good things about we love colors, never bought there personally though. I usually go through sock dreams. They are affordable and super fast shipping.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Veila posted:

I have always heard really good things about we love colors, never bought there personally though. I usually go through sock dreams. They are affordable and super fast shipping.

Hopefully my experience was atypical. Sock Dreams is amazing and I have always had a great experience ordering from them - I have a very high threshold for putting stickers on my car, and one of the few that made the list is my Sock Dreams sticker.

And now I'm browsing there yet again, and will probably buy a bunch of stuff I don't need thanks to this thread...

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I'm so jazzed, you guys, I ordered a vacuum forming box and frame this weekend! It's going to save me so much effort. I spent like 6-6.5 hours sculpting the wolf shoulder armor for my costume and it's not even done yet. I am so, so glad that I don't have to manually sculpt 2 of them, oh my god.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

McPantserton posted:

I'm so jazzed, you guys, I ordered a vacuum forming box and frame this weekend! It's going to save me so much effort. I spent like 6-6.5 hours sculpting the wolf shoulder armor for my costume and it's not even done yet. I am so, so glad that I don't have to manually sculpt 2 of them, oh my god.

I'm looking at that site you got the box from that you posted in the other thread. What size did you get? I spent 10 daaaaays on 2 pieces of armor and I have so much left to do it isn't even funny. I just got a new job that pays better so I might buy one of these as a gift to myself...

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I'm looking at that site you got the box from that you posted in the other thread. What size did you get? I spent 10 daaaaays on 2 pieces of armor and I have so much left to do it isn't even funny. I just got a new job that pays better so I might buy one of these as a gift to myself...

Zeppelin Master, baby :c00lbert: I won a design contest (for my broseph Rufus en Fuego :swoon: ) in SAMart like 2 weeks ago and made $200 so that's my justification for buying it, my job is still poo poo, hah. I already have tons of silly plans to vacuum form all kinds of weird things once we're done with costumes.

Other progress, here's a bit more Yoshimitsu printing! This time, the belt flaps:

I'm planning on finishing Yoshi's prints up this week, I have the skirt back and hem left to do.
Plus, here is me holding the interior skeleton for Soul Edge!

Glad I'm not going to be carrying that beast around, eesh. The internal flat part is made of polycarbonate, it took basically forever to cut with a plastic knife.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I'm going to pee my pants when you post the completed Soul Edge.

My goal this week is to (hopefully) finish everything on the half-masks up until the painting step. I would say I'm going to finish the 2P mask too but I know it won't happen :(

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
Goddamn, that's a mighty beautiful looking bit of fabric there! Envy level peaking over here!

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

McPantserton posted:

I got a few things from Fanplusfriend.com for my pirate costume. The quality itself was good, but boy did the pictures lie. When I got the jacket, instead of round, brass-colored buttons, there were these big cream colored plastic hearts. :(

Once the buttons were replaced and the fit altered, it looked badass. If you do order from there, get it in a size that you can go back and refit.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Welp, I have terrible progress shots to post! Sorry these are all from my phone, they are really bad.

2P mask which I finally started painting tonight:

1P split masks. They look horrible because I sprayed primer on them, then sanded them, then filled in problem spots with more apoxie sculpt, and then attached the horns.

One horn weighs more than the other :( They are a lot more even than this picture makes them look, I promise. I just threw them on the bed really fast to take a pic.

I'm also working on the clothes but those are boring so I didn't bother taking pictures.

E: VVV Sorry? They look splotchy as heck so I was explaining why. And I meant the photos are terrible not the pieces themselves, obvi I wouldn't post them if I thought they looked like poo poo :confused:

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Don't act like all your stuff looks like poo poo. That's really kind of annoying.

Especially when it looks really great like it does.