Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo. If you are doing a run of these, please keep me in mind. That is awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can you see outta that thing very well?

Looks amazing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
drat that is looking pretty cool!

Which LEDs did you order on amazon? I'm kinda tempted to build one of these just to set on the shelf. Has a great fantasy/video game look to it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can you get some close up pics of the phylactery?

Also, again, requesting the LEDs that you snagged off amazon. There's a crapload of them on amazon and I'd prefer to get something I know works well already.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Where'd ya get the bowl for the helmet?

Might make a cool Mysterio for next year!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Jesus that's a stiff price hike. Why's it going up?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

My girlfriend is interested in getting a sewing machine. I figured if anyone knew a decent budget model, it would be you guys.

I don't know much about sewing, but I know Singer is supposed to be a pretty good brand.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Commissar Canuck posted:

I'm planning on making a Doctor Doom costume in the new year and could use any sort of advice/guide/info on making armoured bits for the legs and arms. In a perfect world, I would love to make something like this:

http://imgur.com/272c5Ai

But I think this is a more realistic (and still awesome) goal:

Yea, DOOM is tough to get looking right.

The one here is pretty good but the gloves are kinda crappy. The one you linked is cool but I'm about 90% sure those are motocross gloves that have been spray painted with some greeblies added for the yellow bits. I just think the chest armor is overkill.

Weirdly enough, the best DOOM costume I have ever seen was in the Corman FF film.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The bottom one looks like a PVC endcap with some kinda thingie glued to it. No idea what the top part is though. Wrapped insulation foam maybe?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No clue man. If a paint says don't clear coat over it, it's a good idea never to do that. Either it's going to kill the look, or it's going to affect the paint below and turn it into a sludgy crackly mess.

Also, found this, which I thought was a pretty good deal : https://www.etsy.com/listing/216197003/leds-for-beginners-for-cosplayers-by?ref=shop_home_active_1

It's a 5$ ebook that basically walks you through how to do lights and LEDs in your costume. A friend of mine pointed me towards it earlier. Thought someone would want to know how to do light up stuff as well.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Got some pictures back from my friend PrairieSquid. I think I did good.

Looks amazing! Only thing I'd do next time would be maybe add some makeup or paint to the ear so it matches the skin tone a little better.

Love the embroidery on the front!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My mom owns like 2 or 3 multi thousand dollar embroidery machines for her hobby of making coasters and table cloths and placemats, and let me tell ya, it LOOKS embroidered. You did a hell of a job :)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Needs a paperclip :colbert:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dear god the amount of sanding you had to do....

Came out looking amazing though!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress there's transparent worbla now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Agreed. Looks amazing!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MajorGravy posted:

Free handed it cause I could only find templates for the first movie version, and from the first Avengers film. On another note, my cold is better, but my boss just dumped a huge project on me.

Ultron.

Time to ready the Redbull.

Please please please please take lots of photos showing the steps you take on this build.

A buddy of mine has a mannequin he's looking to turn into a cyborg Superman and we are loving stumped on how to get the robot look going for the neck to the head, as well as how to do the armor plating vs the costume material.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://eti-usa.com/envirotex-lite/

Same stuff you can use on paper when doing pep should work.

Dunno how horrible it'll chrome but to be honest I've never heard of someone chroming wood before.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
God drat dude that's awesome!

I dunno if you are going to be able to go movie accurate on this one though, dude's like 8 1/2 feet tall and has a bunch of hollow sections. It'd be kinda like trying to make a screen accurate robocop costume outta the new movie where they cgi'd the costume down to inhuman proportions.

That being said, can't wait to see how it comes out!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Meh, who needs fingerprints when you have a bitchin' helmet?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BlueGhostie posted:

Hey Goons, I could really use some sage advice from anyone that has experience with resin. I think I want to do a resin cast for a great axe that I'm making, it has lights embedded in the handle that will be shining through a cracked surface that will be made from shattered PVC glued to the wireframe in the picture below.

My current plan is to wrap the handle with saran wrap after the PVC pieces are in place and fill the whole thing with clear or lightly grey resin, but I'm worried about not getting any resin on the outer most pieces and having to sand around PVC, touch up paint, add some sort of coats to the outside because I need eventually get the handle nice and mostly rounded.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I will fill it, then manually add coats to the outside to fill in low spots. I'm mostly worried about clarity of the resin at that point, I really want the lights to shine through well.

From what I understand, you should be ok with the plan you have, but I'd REALLY recommend changing up the wiring a bit. Right now the battery is in the top middle, and that is going to be a bitch and a half to change. Unless this is a one time don't need it to work after a while project, I'd move the battery down towards the bottom or towards the top to have some sort of access to it.

As long as you use clear resin (duracoat or whatever that "wet coat for tables" stuff is should work) you should be ok.

For the edge, you might be better off going with plexiglass or acrylic. Drill your holes (which is gonna be a bitch), but get it polished and then pour rubbing alcohol over it. It'll craze like a motherfucker and be less apt to bend than resin will.

The store brand stuff is fine, you don't even need the high % stuff. Hit it with some steel wool to scuff it up a bit and make it translucent vs transparent and you should be cool.

Thing about resin to remember, is the poo poo gets hot. Don't overdo it on the coats where you have the saran wrap or it might melt and leak out all over the place.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BlueGhostie posted:

I'm not too worried about the battery, I am making it replaceable but since it runs on a 9v the middle area is the best fit (also I probably won't ever need to change it based on how long my Mjolnir has held up). I have planned that part out though.

Thank you for reminding me about how resin heats up, I totally forgot about that! I guess I'll switch to tinfoil because I was going to wrap the whole base with it and fill the entire handle from the inside out (insulating/securing wiring and adding strength/weight)

As for the blade, I planned on using some sort of acrylic or solid plastic piece, I will dremel out a space between the 2 plywood sheets that make the axehead and only the light edge will be visible. I will definitely play with steel wool and rubbing alcohol though, I want a real nice laser-edge effect.

Thanks again! You gave me a ton of ideas to work from!
:woop:

My friend just emailed me a reminder. If you are going the "craze" option with the acrylic or plexiglass, make sure to get the extruded version. It's a bitch to work with (melts when the bandsaw is too fast, etc), but it's the version of it that will craze when it meets alcohol after you fire polish it a bit.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you are going with uncanny valley style looks, you can always try modding out a mannequin's head, or going with the mardi gras masks (dunno the technical term for those).

The creepiest part of Condemned was the mannequin mall section. Mannequin armor and creepy settings are not something to discover while playing a video game at 2 am.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Paint the bottom silver/matte aluminum. then just use masking tape to section off the "damage" parts, and when you finish the paint, just peel the masking tape off.

You'll have silver underneath, and your normal color on top.

Airbrush in some black detail around it for detail and boom, you have battle damage.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh... not really.

There's always the option of foam building and covering THAT in fiberglass, or pep files and covering it in resin, and then building from there.

Silicone is just one of those things that's pricey, and you don't really want to go cheap with the resin either. I'd say probably smoothcast 300 is your best bet if you are going the resin route. The cheaper stuff like Easycast or CastinCraft is gonna be brittle as hell, and will probably start to sag unless you get the ratio of catalyst to resin PERFECT. It sucks spending money but it sucks WAY more when it fucks up and you have to spend more.

If you don't want to drop the cash into the mold/resin option, try looking at the big foam packs from harbor freight and seeing if you can cover it in resin or fiberglass, or look into the pep idea. It'll be cheaper and I've seen some incredible things made with it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget dremel sanding wheels and sandpaper to help weather that fabric to look like complete rear end.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have a quick wig question. I'm working on a display bust for a mannequin, and I'd like him to have natural hair (well, not natural but like, hair and not sculpted hair).

Are there any keywords or anything that will specify a full head wig for a dude? I'm not looking for a toupee or anything, I'm looking for the whole shebang. Plastic hair, cheap hair, etc is just fine. I just don't know the specifics of wigdom to know what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just wanna make sure whatever wig I buy is going to fit the head. I hit ebay and there's a shitload of different options. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting money on the wrong type.

I don't know squat about wigs, so I dunno what to look for.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Magnets would work if you put a matching pair in the medallions.

Velcro would work if you didn't want to do magnets.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Mount the magnets to the body armor under the tunic. Small powerful magnets will hold it in place and you won't have to worry about the fabric holding the weight.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's always the option of this variant.

Think it's called the udon?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ExplodingSquid posted:

So I'm going to attempt to make my first Cosplay outfit from scratch.

I want to do Henchmen number 24 from The Venture Bros, mainly because I can do his voice spot on.

I've been looking up random clothes and materials to combine etc but I'm having issues with the wings. I wanted to do it with 2 layers of foam and wiring but can only find small bits, not a large roll.

Has anyone here made a Henchmen outfit? Would love some tips and/or photos oh the creation process?

Hit Lowe's or Home Depot. Big sheets of insulation foam (blue or pink) should work for you. It's about 1/2" thick as well.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Tshirt material might work for the tunic and pants. Dunno about the sleeves though.

Mask is gonna be a bitch but you can put in some cpu fans to help cool you down a bit.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
True. I was thinking more along the lines of the eyes and mouth being a bit lit up cause of robot head, and then having fans worked into the circuit to help cool you down a bit.

You might be able to rekajigger a voice modulator in there somehow too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Half a floral wreath for the bow, wrapped in whatever fabric to make it look right.

1/2" foam board from Lowe's for the blade, maybe seal it and hit it with a fiberglass resin overlay for strength.

Shouldn't be too hard to do, probably under 40 bucks in materials easy. Biggest cost would be the resin and the spray paint.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

vivisecting posted:

Oh, then I think this is just an issue of me not using the correct key-terms. Also, I wasn't aware that EVA foam has a smooth side as well as a bumpy side -- all the products I saw only showed the bumpy side and I decided I didn't want that. I've already made the blade and I'm pretty happy with it. I cut a rectangle for the dowel/pvc pipe/whatever then I gorilla-glued two pieces together (since the foam board was only a quarter of an inch thick). The knuckle bow is really what worries me... if possible, I'd really like a dome-shape near the blade like so:

Might be able to carve up a tupperware bowl or a plastic bowl to get the correct dome shape, and just glue it, and then hit it with some bondo or auto putty to get the seams filled.

Depending on the size of it you might be able to carve it all out of something like a plastic flower watering can.

Rose pommel would be the easiest part, just buy a porcelain one and make a mold and cast it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

TwystNeko posted:

That would be great.. if I had time to do that. Con is tonight! :( Purple I can do, though. With big fuzzy slippers.

Also, the next version is going to 100% 3d printed. I already modelled most of it...

How much does that thing weigh? Does it play the music from the game?

Guessing the switches don't move. Still, that's a hell of a build man. Beautiful :). I own the lil one that came with the collector's edition of the game.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Tamir Lenk posted:

Halloween is going to own

Have you worked out which skull mask you are going to use?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Awesome! I've always wanted to make one with this skull : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DBOVVA

but I dig the terminator effects on that mask. Makes it look kinda like armor as well as the skull motif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Damp cloth over it will help.

Any reason you are using plaster and not water putty? Stuff is way stronger, and also doesn't crack nearly as bad.