Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
I got lazy and forgot that screamfest was this weekend. Any one have some suggestions for quick cheap horror themed costumes I could wear? I was thinking just getting a cheap white mask and doing up a marble hornets maskey outfit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
So I'm going to go ahead and start working on next years outfit. Anyone have some suggestions on how to make the rabbit splicer mask from bioshock?

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
So I've decided I'm going to go to the Lexington Comic con (March 16th and 17th) this year and need a second costume idea. I'm already working on a splicer from bioshock and have no idea what else I could do for my body type. 5' 10" balding and slightly overweight.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Decided on Leon's re2 outfit for my second costume. I've got a good idea on what to use for most of it but I'm stuck on his vest/jacket thing. Anyone have suggestions for that? I'm thinking of hitting up the military surplus store or one of the police supply places next week for parts.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Some in progress shots of my Leon outfit.

Reference shot

Shot of the holster, gun in a former orange and white toy gun that I spray painted black. Left the tip orange so as not to get shot.

Had to dye this belt black, it was a pale green.

Another shot of the holster with the belt on.

Full body shot, still need the gloves and elbow/knee pads. Working tomorrow and this weekend on crafting the replica vest. Not sure what I am going to use for the letter on the vest though. I can't seem to find large enough press on letters.

I should have some splicer shots after this weekend too.

fallin1 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 1, 2013

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
My camera was pointing upwards at me from one for the counter tops, probably why it looks like that.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Flanker posted:

Let me know if there's anything else you need for a Leon costume, I have piles of useless tactical poo poo laying around

I am in need of some gloves, and the pouches/clip holders on the belt. I found some weight lifting ones gloves that will work but I'd rather not drop $15 on them. If you have any of that and can get them to me before March 16th I'd be glad to compensate you.

quote:

What are you going to do about the hair?

If you can't get letters large enough for RPD do you know hot to sew?

Yes I can sew so if worse comes to worse I can attempt to find some pre-cut white letters or stencil some out and sow them on. As for the hair, honestly I'm probably just going to go with my standard buzzcut and pretend Leon never had longish hair.

fallin1 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 1, 2013

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
His is actually a flak jacket but those are stupid expensive and I'm not paying that. The black part is going to be made from crafting foam and black fabric that's sew on to the shirt then add the button/rivets like in the picture and then it will velcro closed across the front like a normal vest.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
More progress photos, this time with splicer pics.

I know it's the wrong type of patch but it works for now.

Full on shot of the top with all the vest pieces laid out. Vest padding is made from foam batting that I was able to split in half to make it not as thick.

First layer of paper mache on the splicer mask is done. When it dries I'll see if I need to do another layer or not. If not then I'll be following up with plaster tape. and begin attaching the ears.

Hooks for the splicer. I couldn't find any plastic hooks at the local halloween express so I decided to just make my own. Made out of the same wire as the ears and mached. Handles are made from craft sticks.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
There really needs to be a 24 hour craft store, so close to finishing both my costumes but now I gotta wait until I can get more/better paint and brushes.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Finished off my Leon outfit today.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
And splicer is done.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
My only problem is that I made the ears too long so I have to duck when I enter or exit a room.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Oh man I just saw the costume contest tomorrow. I hope I can be off work in time to actually enter.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

four lean hounds posted:

Break the tips off in an artistic fashion? Splicers are supposed to be torn up, after all. You could even make it look like your Splice tried to hastily repair one by lashing it to the rest of the ear with wire or something (when you actually just hot glued it). I think the costume looks great though, and hope you get some funny stories about bumping into door frames.

Question: I am planning on a Candle Jack cosplay and I-

(boo, hack joke, couldn't resist)

Ok, I am planning on wearing a full bodysuit as a female. What are some kinds of belts/sashes I can make out of the same material as CJ's hood/shoes that can make wearing a bodysuit slightly more modest? I am thinking adding something shaped like this:

http://www.tmart.com/Black-Belly-Dance-Hip-Scarf-Coin-Wrap-Belt-Skirt-Hipscarf_p104291.html

except without the coins and in a suitable fabric. Is this stupid, or an acceptable addition to a costume?

Funny enough none of the doors at con were an issue. Friend told me that I've got a lot of pictures on the local sub-reddit from people who went to the con so I guess it was a success.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
I think I want to make a black mage from final fantasy now. Don't have a reason to make it, I just kind of want to.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Captain Hats posted:

Well, now I feel awkward posting this here.

Work in progress of my first costume, a SHIELD agent. Still need to do the belt and patches before it's presentable, but it's getting there. Also goddamn, my thighs are massive in this thing. A few questions for the experts in the thread:

1: Can I just glue poo poo onto the zentai suit or is there a better way of attaching things?

2: Any tips on doing SHIELD patches? I was thinking felt cut out and stuck together, but I'm open to ideas.

Would something like this work for you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVENGERS-Mo...=item19d61230ee

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Started work on a new mask today. Decided to custom form this one to my face since it is more intricate.

No idea when I'll get it finished or even get time to do anything with it right now though.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Anyone have a suggestion on how to cut down a wig to proper proportion with out destroying it? I tried today to get one done for my Leon costume and just completely wrecked the wig.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Ugh one of those wigs are almost perfect but I can't justify $30 for it to my wife.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Funhilde posted:

They are really nice AND re-stylable! $30 is great for a wig.

Stop making me contemplate it. If I win big as the races tomorrow maybe.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Wip on my corvo mask.

One side has a layer of claycrete the other doesn't yet.

I need to get some burlap type material for the backing and then form that to my face then comes the fun part of applying all the metal bits and pieces.

Can't find a cheap toy crossbow like he uses in the game so I'm going to be constructing that too as well as the folding sword. Lots of crafting in store for me once school is out.

E: Well cancel that about the crossbow, I just found one for $30. More than what I want to spend but it saves me time and frustration.

fallin1 fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 30, 2013

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Mobius 1 posted:

Looks cool! Just a heads up though, you may want to look into other materials other than burlap since it can be extremely uncomfortable up against skin. If you need that similar texture/look of burlap, try looking for monk's cloth.

Already planned for that.

In that one you can see that the burlap material is backed by a different fabric so that's my plan right now.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Mexican Sandwich posted:

One cosplay I plan on doing is Taskmaster from Marvel Comics, and one thing I was planning on doing differently than every other one I've seen is to try to make the mask two separate parts, like a regular skull. I have wire to make a guide, but what material would I use for the mask itself?

My suggestion would be to buy a plastic mask similar to this one and then using paper mache and claycrete and mold it up how you need it to look. Alternatively if you want a better fitting mask you can make a mold of your face using plaster cloth and then proceed as previously suggested.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Another WIP on my Corvo mask.

gently caress working with Burlap poo poo went everywhere when I cut it down. Going to add some claycrete and smooth everything out tonight/tomorrow then get to work on adding in some of the metal details. So far this is the most labor intensive mask I've made.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Anyone have a good source to buy wonderflex on the cheap?

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

McPantserton posted:

Far as I know, there isn't one.

drat it. Anyone wanna go halfies on some?

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Local comic place here is having Tony Moore, co-creator of walking dead and current illustrator for Deadpool and Venom, in for an autograph session Saturday. Anyone who comes dressed as a zombie/venom/or deadpool gets put into a drawing for $100 store credit. Comes dressed as anything else from video games or comics and you get entered for $50, I decided to get my Leon Kennedy wig finally done and I'll be breaking it back out for the occasion.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
^Holy crap this puts my wip shot to shame.

Scrapped my original design on my Corvo mask and I think I works for the better.

fallin1 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 28, 2013

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Flanker posted:

No thats the finished/mask and helmet I wore to the con :/

I realized, even when mine is fully done I doubt it will anywhere near as good as what you made.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Flanker posted:

I am overall un satisfied with it. I think your split open skull mask is way cooler.

For all the time I spent making mine, I should have gone all in and made a hard core foam latex mask or something cool like that. Probably for next year, the character was a huge hit so I'm going to build him all over again.

Oh hey foam latex is what that is. Was kind of a pain to cut too.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Flanker posted:

Is it flexible?

Quite, I didn't mold it anything as I bought a preformed mask and modified it so I can't speak on how easy it sculpts.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Still need to attach some leather straps to secure the mask but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Going to Scarefest here in lexington tomorrow. I'll be sure to snap pics of my corvo costume as well as any other costumes for the other thread.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

foxatee posted:

Not yet! I've been waiting for that fucker. Pretty sure he means the PYF cosplay thread.

Exactly. I forgot to get a picture in my corvo costume so I'll have to wait until the con uploads theirs from today to post it.

E:Here's my Corvo costume. Forgot to put my hood up when I first got in.

fallin1 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 15, 2013

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Started work on my next costume tonight. Going to be putting together an Arkham Asylum Scarecrow and got a bit of the glove done.

Next step is to figure out the best way to attach the tubes to the gauntlet thingy.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Realized that I posted this in the wrong cosplay thread.

I've decided I want to try and make the scarecrow fear injector gauntlet I'm working on glow. I have no experience with running El wire or wiring any electronics in general and was wondering if anyone had some good tutorials I can look at to try and figure it out or any suggestions for something easier to use.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

Fatkraken posted:

Concept art would help

In general, LEDs embedded in a translucent medium like friendly plastic or hot glue or behind a frosted finish like certain kinds of tracing paper can work well, and you can get ready wired up LEDs by buying strings of battery powered christmas lights or cheap LED based lights from dollar stores

In game model shot of what I'm trying to do.

http://images.wikia.com/kingdomheartsfanon/images/f/ff/Batman-Arkham-Asylum-Scarecrow-psd35545.png

What I have so far.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Used some of the cracks and gap expanding foam to add facial features to my scarecrow mask. I think I may have over done it just a bit on the foam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Still some work to do on it (my gas canisters fell off a bit ago) but my scarecrow is starting to take shape.