Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
Anyone used actual metal for something like a N7 Armor or anything like that? I was thinking about using a layer-cake type approach to building a Shepard or Zaeed armor with foam on the inside, sheet metal for rigidity/shape, and carbon fiber+paint for the external surface.

I'm familiar with manufacturing stuff like this, but not things that you can wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW

Ashcans posted:

Generally speaking, I don't think that it's worth using actual metal for armor. A costume doesn't take the sort of abuse that you need metal to withstand, and there are almost always going to be lighter, resilient materials that will work as well or better (like fiberglass, plastic, or foam). Metal can be tough to wear for hours at a stretch, and I've also found it tough to keep a finish on - I mean that articulated areas where the metal meets will wear through their paint/finish pretty fast, compared to plastic or resin that doesn't wear nearly so quickly and can be stained.

I've constructed articulated metal armor in the past (which, granted, was from 16 & 18gauge steel, and you could definitely go much lighter for a costume). I also built a rocket pack using metal that would have been much more tolerable to haul around in plastic or fiberglass.

I guess I just like doing things from scratch. I do it when I'm cooking too, sometimes to my dismay as to the amount of effort required. I also like to make things that will last for awhile--it might be because I'm a machinist but anything with less tensile strength than steel feel like play-doh to me nowadays. Aside from that I try to make props that are basically feature-length movie realistic whenever I can.

The reason I specified aluminum is that its light. What amounts to a thin coating over the whole set of armor wouldn't weight much, maybe a few pounds at the most. And believe me, I'm ex-military so wearing excess pounds of heavy crap is something I'm no stranger to.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW

McPantserton posted:

Compound Curves

The key to curving sheet metal is to use a lot of heat, and to use some kind of very hard form and hammer. If I could get a hold of an anvil and some kind of torch I'll be golden. I will freely admit that it is a highly skill intensive task and also difficult. But, I like spending time crafting things because its a learning experience, and if you take your time and do it right, you get a very nice product in the end.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
I totally see what you're saying, maybe I'm just being difficult. This is all fairly basic auto-body stuff that's done every day all over the world :) I want to move on to something more complex because I've already done something as difficult as recreating Sev's complete battle harness from scratch...of course I chose something where none of the components currently exist :lol:. I had to sew together a complete fall-arresting harness that is also an ammunition and equipment rig with battery powered lights. I want to test my mettle with actual hard armor now.