Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
The base of that sword is looking pretty sweet, and so is the helmet!

As for some progress of my own I am working on Sylvanas Windrunner. I am getting down to the end of the line just need to cast some gems and finish up the armor edging. But here are some of the pieces in progress.

Shoes

Gloves

Shoulders

Bow

In case anyone is curious I used a variety of foams. From expanding spray foam to craft foam. Anywho that is what I have for the most part I need to trim out a few more pieces but once it's all together and painted it's all about aging. I'm trying to have it ready for Akon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Mizufusion - I have done a ton of sew only stuff I just decided recently to branch out into other stuff besides props. I know the value of a good deal in fact there is a joann's app that is loaded with coupons and is probably my most used app on my phone.

McPantserton - Thanks a lot. I actually do drool over Kamui's page a lot she started with her tutorials on Alexstraza after I started Sylvanas. Mostly I keep letting other smaller costumes overrun me. I also do a lot of teaching for other less experienced cosplayers in the area, and often end up with to much on my plate. But I am determined to finish her. I'm even redoing the gems I have resin cast so far so that I can drop in LED's via the method Kamui just put up on youtube. But yea as far as the puffy armor method great stuff is just to cool to pass up, you can easily coat it to be super durable, and it's so light weight I think all the armor itself is only about an extra 15 maybe 20 lbs, and the bow is only around 7 or 8lbs. It's really Great Stuff. Also you mam' have fancy pants. Those outfits are rad! I don't play 40k but I do play Warmachine and have thought about making some of those. The more I see of awesome outfits the more I want to.

Red Robin Hood - The fingers are painted already and the extra detailing is on them I just don't have any current photos. After I unpack from Allcon I will take some more so you can see the armor after detailing and rub and buff.

LadyRavenWaves fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 22, 2012

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
I also try to hit 3-5 cons a year sometimes I can go to more just depends on the year. I was going to go to AX for the first time ever this year with friends but now it doesn't seems so likely so I may end up at Akon again. I agree it's becoming rather sad. But with no time to plan on anything else I may just hit that or skip on one all together.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Ooh! Acen always looked fun its a bit north of me but maybe next year I can set aside time for it. Ramping up stuff for Akon though, as well as Ms. Marvel for Free Comic Book Day. Marvel is a bit of a throw together as I spent so much time working on everyone else's outfit woes that I lost time for my own.

I will post some mask prog pics once its cut-able and doesn't look like a black latex blob.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

McPantserton posted:

I'm not totally positive it'll be faster, I'm a glutton for punishment. :downs: I made a flat center shape out of MDF with a gap in the middle to fit the rod, then added a smaller MDF tier on both sides to help fill it out. I then made a spine on both sides out of cardboard to guide the height and center of the bevel, filled it in mostly with paper clay to conserve weight, then topped it off with a bondo layer. I freaking hate sanding paper clay but solid bondo so heavy. Here's my pictures of that part:

It's solid as hell, lightweight, and pretty smooth but it did take a bit of sanding with the dremel and then a sanding block to get the bondo as smooth as I wanted it.

You do good work with that sanding. I too am not a fan of sanding that stuff. But it is so light I just can't help myself.

As for what I am doing I have mostly been spring cleaning I have a bunch of little costumes to finish. But once those are done I plan to make these bad boys.

Berserker from Tera.

Skarre from Warmachine

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

McPantserton posted:

I basically always end up surfacing paper clay in Bondo, it just sands so much better! I like the finish of it better, too. But yeah, I can't stay away, I got another huge box of it during the Joanns Memorial Day sale for half price.

Those costumes both look totally badass! You're bolder than me, gunning for that Berserker armor.

Only because I have a personal trainer getting me into shape for it. lol

Also have you ever tried using bondo over Great Stuff? I use great stuff a ton for big props like Sylvanas's bow I used paper mache over the top but I think it could be smoother.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

McPantserton posted:

I have not, but I bet you could do some awesome stuff with it! You might have to prime the foam first, though, Bondo definitely corrodes pink foam, at least. Found that one out the hard way...

Hrm I will have to investigate and report my findings.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
I have always heard really good things about we love colors, never bought there personally though. I usually go through sock dreams. They are affordable and super fast shipping.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
That form looks awesome, I want one now too. But I have no idea where I would put it. Time to minimize again I guess.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Planning to have a few days off here shortly and I have 2 of those days set aside for costumes. I will have to do my best to remember to take photos lol.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
McPantserton You are simply amazing! I am in love with that skirt, and think my next detailed piece may need to be screen printed. I have hand painted and sewn patches but I just love the idea of that. I had done it before in art class but never thought about it again after that. You have swayed me.

THIZZFACE KILLA I know you are hating having to paint it but it's looking spectacular, the extra effort will be noticed and love, and probably make you love the outfit more in the long haul.

I don't have any really cool progress just some sewing on Frankie Stein so I won't post it, maybe when I start on my Tera outfit or flame princess, then I will have fun stuff to post besides sewing.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

McPantserton posted:

Thanks, Veila! I think printing can really add some nice, clean detail. When I finally get a real people job away from my shop, it's going to be a sad day. :( Well, except for the theoretical pay increase...

You mean the pay increase that will just get spent on more fancy costumes?? Yea I know how that goes. But hey that means that I can start working on Kanzeon as soon as those new fancy paychecks hit the bank.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Well my friends managed to talk me out of my Tera planning which was easy as I now am debating between like five different options and still not knowing of a good con to take it to. Now apparently I am going to be completing a group from the really horrible anime called Black Rock Shooter.. I couldn't finish the first episode but they showed me the costume and I was in love.

Characters name is Black Gold Saw.

The planning is now at about four pages and a few napkins. I should actually start building it after Cammy I need to get her finished for PAX. But I am so excited about the legs. I have been armor hungry after reading all of the stuff here. Also for added self hate I want to try and make the hands work, at least bend.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

McPantserton posted:

Love the shoes! I haven't seen Black Rock Shooter but there seems to be some cool cosplay from it, at least.

My friend is building flexing claws for his Nightmare outfit and he did it by building a wood brace that straps onto his arm, then using tubing with slashed joints with cord threaded through to make the parts that move. That sounds really baffling so here's a picture:

You can see it best in the thumb part, that white PVC on the palm is a grip and your fingers loop through the ends of the cord, flexing the claws.

Yes the shoes are amazing aren't they i'm planning to attach carved wood base to some heels I have had the heel removed on. And yea the show is meh, average school girl angst but with cool nightmare battle deaths. But still meh.

First I just have to say GAH!! NIGHTMARE!!! I am a warmanerd and a cryx player at that. My ultra dream costume is to either make the Harbinger or Deathjack. Secondly thanks for that now I have at least an idea of where to start!

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Funny the hand structure still looked pretty similar. Though that is still extremely badass.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

I just started a PAX thread! Do you know of anyone that has room in their hotel? I can pay!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499845

Glad you found a room and will probably see you there. I am bummed I can't bring anything really awesome this year to PAX I feel like it's a con to go all out, but it would make my grabbing free poo poo harder and all planes and costumes probably not a great idea.

Anyone else from this thread going to the giant gaming convention?

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
So I have mostly just been sewing/painting, nothing extremely exciting as I am trying to keep it simple for PAX that way I can still browse the expo hall without taking people out. I have learned something new. Stuffed animals that stand are full of frustration and thread breaking pain. I thought it was so simple lucky I had a friend to help correct my errors in the body and it's just down to tedious hand stitching but here are some shots.

What I am making.

The steps I have taken.

It's almost done with the attachment stitching, after that it's stitching his hands to his hips, stitching on the tail to keep it to the side, and the eyes and nose. I have to say as frustrating as it has been I am pretty proud of it.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Hongkongaton posted:

Shiki!! Oh man I love that game and it's awesome to see more cosplay from it! Can't wait to see when you're all done.

Cool another fan. Yea the second needs to come out and quit teasing me. As for the costume it is pretty much finished just have to do final stitching on the jacket and attach the brim to her hat. Guess I will post a complete pic once I get one.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Warheart525 posted:

I'm going ahead with the Dr. Venture idea. My speedsuit and other accoutrements are in the mail. I haven't yet got a bald cap, though, and I don't want to get one that looks like crap. I'd shave my head, but my girlfriend vetoed that idea. Does anyone have any recommendations for where I should by one? Is there anything I should keep in mind when affixing it and wearing it?

Be sure your hair is pulled back well I recommend a wig cap as well That way it looks smoother. The other thing I would recommend is make sure it's a little longer than your hair line. You can glue (either with wig glue or spirit gum) it down that way it's more secure. If the edges are noticeable then try adding a layer or two of liquid latex before heading out.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Hongkongaton posted:

...There's going to be a second one?!?
:monocle:

That has been the rumor, we shall see though. I know that the characters made an appearance in the newest Kingdom Hearts.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Coat looks awesome those seams are really clean.

McPantserton I think I may be falling for you, that armor is spectacular.

I wish I had some photos for content but they are all crapy bathroom look how akward I look things so I will wait till I can at least get a person around to take a picture as Shiki is finally done. Once costume down one to make a skirt for, have I mentioned I hate box pleats?

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
I didn't get hit but a lot of my friends did. I have been trying to traffic all my remaining friends to my fan page as if a hurricane is coming but meh.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Can anyone recommend a good way to make TF2's Heavy Weapons Guy's bandoleer? I thought of using toilet paper tubes as a base and covering them, but I can't seem to get enough to go all the way around.

Are you planning to make the shells removable or all just one solid piece?

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You could also try the soda bottles most people drink soda and you can find the slim bottles at stores and gas stations. Just have a prop drink party.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
I had fun at PAX but I think I might want to go bigger costume wise next year, for at least a day.

As for Halloween costume construction I don't have a problem with it I would be interested in more progress pictures/writings.

As for my progress I just ordered wigs, right now I am debating if I want to use Wonderflex or try Worbla's for my Black Gold Saw legs. I have seen some really amazing stuff made with both though from what I hear Worbla's seems to be more reusable and a bit easier to work with as far as sculpting. Any input or suggestions would be much appreciated.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

Wing Problems

So you could use foam board but I feel like you would just run into the same damage as before. You could also by sheeting but cutting could suck and the materials could be way expensive. If you want something cheap that would be more storage friendly I would say get a thick gauge wire and bend it to the shape you want for the wings, if you want to get fancy extra sturdy solder in some pieces for support. Then get thick stretchy dance fabric in yellow and sew fabric covers. This way you could fold them over for storing them and they are more pliant so that bumping at a con isn't as damaging. I figure it's cheaper than the plastic but if you want super stiff and less fabric look I would stick with that, see if maybe they can custom cut them if you don't have the materials for it.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Maxwells - If it were me I would sew them then slide them on, make the stitching as tight as possible leaving only enough stretch to slide them over the frames and then stitch the two sides together at the back which you could cover seams with craft-foam or more fabric or whatever you wanted to on the harness. I have seen lots of wings made this way and it always comes out really nice. And they are more durable than you would think, just general awareness will keep them safe, most people wont have knives or anything and they will stretch to points a bit due to the nature of the fabric. I wonder if I am explaining this well or just making it more confusing?

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Veev posted:

I have a lot more time than sense so I wanted to do a costume of Artorias from Dark Souls, but I've never really made anything that looks like knight armor before. I thought that the shoulderpad, elbow pads, and helmet would be the hardest because they seem to be rather thick and round but really I'm pretty clueless about how to do any of it. The cloth drape that's attached to the helmet will cover up a lot of the joints for the neck and its something I could do reasonably well but I don't know what to make the rest of it out of.
Here's a couple pictures

http://imgur.com/CnMqC
http://imgur.com/2LqBZ

That looks amazing. Have fun with the construction. As for how there are a lot of different ways to make armor ranging in price and difficulty. My current favorite is the cardboard greatstuff/foam methods. Though I would really like to try Wonderflex/Worbla's though price keeps me at bay. Sense my current piece isn't full body armor I am tempted to try, though it depends on finances. Kamui Cosplay has a really helpful journal and youtube channel that go through most of the methods. She's a cosplay god really.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Veev posted:

I just found out my rent is 1/5 what I thought it was so I'm working with a bit of a budget. I've made things out of cardboard before, but I just wanted to make something out of a bit more durable materials because I plan to use it more than a few times. I'll check out the Wonderflex because it seems to be pretty available, thanks for the recommendation.

The cardboard method that I use is similar to a lot of weapon construction you make the base of cardboard then cover it in expanding foam then papermache I am actually gonna try and use bondo for Black Gold Saw as an experiment. My Sylvanas Armor is made this way and it's more than a little durable though I did the triming out of this crap clay and it sucks so I am pulling it off and trying again with new stuff.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

CantDecideOnAName posted:

Speaking of craft foam, I'm making a mask out of that and now that I've got the basic shape I'm wondering how to paint it. Can I just use acrylic paints or do I have to seal it first?

You will want to seal it first. mod podge or elmers.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Well I have officially started black gold saw. Horns are primed and after today I will have the sword started, I'll post pics of that once I have some painting started or sword layed out.

Friend of mine is having a crazy costume themed birthday bash, and sense I hate myself I decided to do that crazy striped number from Sleepy Hollow. Hooray for fancy dresses and bustles boo for matching fabric stripes and pleating. That is at least some interesting sewing so I will probably post progress of that. First I have to get all 20 yards of the fabric, and make a dress form, but I have Gold Saw to keep me busy in the mean time lol.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Finally a progress picture for you guys. I give you my Black Gold Saw sword. All 7' of it.

It's actually cut out and I have installed a pvc pole in the design for extra support. It also has some foam spray on part of it I will take more pictures after carving it tonight. I'm pretty giddy to have something other than sewing to work on. OH and I almost forgot for the TWEWY fan this is the best pic I have of my Shiki costume with Mr. Mew hopefully I get better later.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

cool kids inc. posted:

I have a question for a possible Captain American costume for Halloween. How exactly would one go about making the shield? I was thinking of placing a large cardboard or foamcore circle on like...a trashcan lid or something, but it seems kind of flimsy and wouldn't have the nice angle that Cap's shield has.

You could use foam and heat it up to help it hold the form to make the foam more durable add a fabic layer to the back then put a resin coat on it.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

McPantserton posted:

Veila, you are mad adorable :D That sword is going to own!

Here's my cosplay coup of the day. I went out thrifting hoping to find some vintage fur coats to cannibalize for a project and instead I found this:

LOOK AT THIS DRILL. It's a million years old and made out of cast iron and basically is just from Fallout 3, and it still works just fine! I don't have a drill either, I usually just use my dremel but seriously. What sold me on it for sure is that it still had the chuck key included. :D Best tool I've found at a thrift store in a long time. $5.99 well spent IMO!

Awe, you make me blush and that drill is an amazing find!! Ours is new and made of plastic/resin, but drills are a girls best friend for costumes and house repairs!

As for the sword I ran into a problem with my foam forgot to label the bottles on purchase and well one ended up not filling out right so I am planning to grab some more and give it another go this week(end). Hopefully I should have a few more shots meaning stuff is forward moving again.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
I'm trying to get one of my November convention costumes done early so I can wear it for Halloween then at Izumicon. I feel bad for being so lazy for Halloween. Though I am kinda stuck progress wise until I get cash or clean my craft room so that I can reach my sewing machine... why is it always this messy after summer?

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
I'm working on some tutorials for my site, but who knows when that will be done. In the mean time check these. I plan to have a bunch of sewing and wig working stuff before to long, just getting people to help me record is really the main hold up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Mogrymillian

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

A list of the most common materials to use (wonderflex? The foam pads people keep mentioning, etc) and a good place to buy them. Also a general idea of what to do with them.

I've been reading through the thread and searching for some of the stuff as they come up, but I still get kind of confused by it all, like how much wonderflex I need, or if that's even the stuff I want or what tools I'll need to work with the stuff.

If you are wanting to do one of the craft foam style armors my recommendation to you is keep an eye out for Joann's coupons then grab the big rolls they have. A lot of what I do is make my list before the year starts get a general I want these for this convention and take advantage of couponing and sales as much as I can. I usually plan all costumes a few months out in the hopes to keep it as cheap as possible.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Alright guys I am at wits end and may just use and old costume for Halloween this year because I can't figure out how to get this chest piece to work.

Trying to make this.

So the sewing not so hard and all is pinned and ready to just stitch. The chest guard piece is giving me flack. I was trying the heat form craft foam method last night but it isn't coming out well and is still highly wrinkled, I wonder if my new hair dryer just isn't getting hot enough or what. I have to mold it on myself because I still haven't made time to make a tape form. It's a pretty important for the costume, even thought it's a small piece, but I am at a loss. What do you guys think?

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Well Sailor V didn't come out as planned so I threw together this...

What do you guys think, I want to wear this again so I need to get better at applying facial prosthetics. Though I was pretty stoked about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Red Robin Hood posted:

Kind of hard to tell, really. Any other pictures?

Not yet I am waiting for a few people to post. I was only able to get myspace angles of myself with this, didn't want to drip on my phone to much. I will post more if I find any good ones. I think I may wear it again though so maybe I can get good pictures then.