Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

It's not a real cosplay if you're not up late trying to finish the drat thing the night before you leave for the con, right? Right?

...Who am I kidding, it's going to look half-assed anyway because me and facings just aren't getting along. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Well, things went better than expected, though still not entirely satisfied with it. Everything fit decently, though I'd like to lose a couple pounds from around my gut to have it fit nicer, but I didn't make any alterations from the commercial pattern I used. Facings are a bitch and a half and came out looking kinda lovely from a construction standpoint, but didn't look half as terrible once I got the dress on and facings flipped into place like they were supposed to be.

On theatrical makeup: I think I needed to invest in a much larger container of Final Seal because although my facial makeup stayed pretty well (I had done it first and also had more coats of the sealant on it), my arms were rubbing off on everything, to the point that I ended up going in the convention center bathroom and spending an hour scrubbing it all off. Even so, I'm going to get gloves to use in lieu of makeup on my arms for next time because then I can take them off to eat.

Also, horns: buying some. I can't sculpt for poo poo, my attempt looks horrid, gently caress it all.

Me looking like an especially derp-tastic Homestuck:

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

My little sister's asked me to help her make this dress for Halloween.

She picked up the pattern yesterday because it was on sale. I'm actually kind of excited about working on this despite my utter loathing of the fabric cutting stage. I'll use some of my stash fabric to make a muslin of the top, though, because the last thing I helped her make was too large in the bust but fit perfectly everywhere else.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Rufus En Fuego posted:

I don't know what kind of sewing experience you have, but I've been sewing for oh god, 25 years now and it has only been the last 5 or so that I've really enjoyed cutting fabric. It's a zen thing for me now and I almost enjoy it more than the actual sewing. Maybe it'll get better for you one day!

It may also be in part because I don't have a proper cutting table or anything, so cutting means laying everything out on the floor and either fighting with scissor cuts not coming out exactly right, or having to gently caress around with moving my mat for rotary cutting and trying not to slice up the floor. So annoying.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

TheAbominableSnow posted:

So I've never cosplayed (properly) before, and I've been wanting to get into it. I have a couple simpler ones planned, but. I kind of also want to do this character:

Which looks absolutely INSANE. I've been teaching myself to sew, and I think I could thrift/ebay/mod most of the outfit, but that round head and ridiculous collar look pretty crazy. Any thoughts on how that might be possible? Or, more accurately, possible for someone with very little experience? Sewing I can manage, but I have no clue how to hack it with prop making.

I did have an idea for the head, though it's not entirely accurate to the character. Kind of a helmet-slash-fencing mask kinda thing.

I'm not even thinking about that collar right now. Cardboard and starched fabric? I realize this is a nutty costume for a beginner to consider, but this design has really caught my fancy.

Also no no no no you do not want cardboard. You want interfacing. A mid-weight one might be able to hold the fabric like that, but I know for sure they make a heavy-weight one that's generally intended for crafts that will definitely hold it up properly and should be washable. Something like this would work well, I believe, and you should be able to find it or something like it by-the-yard/meter in a store.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I got a copy of The Costume Designer's Handbook for Christmas, and honestly, I'm a bit disappointed with it. The most useful parts to me, as someone who pretty much just makes costumes for myself, was about fabric choices and sketching. It's really a book for heads of theatrical costume departments. Very 'big picture' focus.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Funhilde posted:

The better book is "The Costume Technician's Handbook". It covers draping, slopers, headwear, accessories and materials. The one you got is really for people that want to be costume designers for stage/screen.

Ah drat. I bet it was a case of me totally misremembering the name.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Oh man, I have been asked to consider taking my first cosplay commission. A friend of mine is going to a con in March, and wants to go as Wonder Woman, from the classic TV series, and needs help making the bustier.

This one:

Not only am I nervous because I have literally never done a corset/bustier before, but I also haven't done applique before and that's got some pretty intimidating applique. She has an existing corset that has the right neckline and fits her well, and I'm planning on making my pattern from that. Any advice from y'all, or good links? I'm not sure if I should attach the strength layer pieces to the inner lining pieces and treat them as one when sewing them together. I'm also not sure on how I should attach the boning channels.

Most of the corsetry stuff I've found online has been focused on historical and/or waist training corsets.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Killer_Frost posted:

I can't help with the appliqué part, but I picked the brain of a friend who makes and sells custom corsets when I made my Poison Ivy corset. Because I was using velvet as the outer layer and wanted it to be as smooth as possible she suggested doing 2 layers of coutil (she said canvas would be ok since I was using 2 and the velvet was so expensive... I got a little cheap.) as my strength layers and I put my channels in them. Then I stitched those layers to my lining which was then top stitched to my velvet layer.

I thoroughly recommend spiral steel boning. I've worn so many cheap polyester boned corsets and while the spiral steel is heavier... I spent 12 hours in that corset and would have gladly spent another 12. It was really comfortable.

Good luck!

Did you use a separate casing stitched to the strength layers, or just stitched them together to form the channels?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

LadyRavenWaves posted:

So while everyone is working on awesome armor I made some cheesy swords and probably the tackiest satin dress ever. I will be so happy if I never have to do any hand sewing again for the rest of the year. Unlikely.

As I'm only passingly familiar with Panty & Stocking, is it supposed to be awful tacky satin, or is it actually decent in person and just will never photograph worth poo poo (except maybe with a pro) because it's satin?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

aaaaaaaaagh I'm dying right now

Should have checked the numbers myself before cutting anything. Making a half-circle wonder woman cape on commission, they gave me fabric and a cardboard template they'd made for the blue and white stripes, only they hosed up the math. At hem length, each stripe should be ~6.5 inches across, including 1/2" seam allowances on each side, and the template measures 12 inches. I only figured this out after assembling the entire inner lining. Hoping I can salvage this and still get it done tonight, but it's looking grim.

Tempted to add a 'satin handling fee' because gently caress satin forever. I have been working on this a grand total of 7 hours now and don't even have it half done yet because of this.

Edit: this is just a half-circle cape, too. Wearer's right half is straight red, the left half has 4 blue, 4 white, and 1 red stripe. Would have been fairly simple had I sanity-checked this template in the first place.

Edit 2: I am at least as bad at math as they were, because I forgot the hem circumference is 2πr, making the original template only about a quarter inch off, though that quarter inch over 8 seams adds up. Since the fuckup is my fault, I'm paying for the replacement fabric myself.

taiyoko fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 20, 2014

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

hhhat posted:

But, it fits, and I won't trip over it. I believe my next steps are to sew the lines I've pinned, trim the excess fabric, then turn the thing inside out to hide the seams. Target sells a lovely $16 handheld sewing tool, which I'm hoping will do the trick. If anyone wants to tell me how wrong I am, please do it in the next week or so, thanks :pseudo:

For the love of god, don't waste your money on one of those handheld sewing tools. They are completely and utterly poo poo. Use a real sewing machine for everything you can, and then just leave a small bit open for turning and hand-stitch the opening when you're done if you're worried about obvious top-stitching.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I absolutely can't wait to see Star Lord all together!

I have a question for the thread, though...I've been asked to make a couple of executioner hoods, but it seems that either my google-fu has failed me, or there just aren't really any good patterns out there for the drat things. Any ideas that might help, especially with finishing eyeholes when you don't have a serger?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Mecha Neko posted:

I couldn't find a human doll that was the right size and didn't look like a baby, but I think this is just as appropriate.

Probably more than you'd want to spend, but ball-jointed dolls are probably your best bet for what you're after. Some of the cheapest are from Bobobie, but again, not sure you're into spending $200+ on a doll just for your cosplay. (Hair is customizable and not always included, same with eyes and even the painting to make the face look like an actual face.)

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I can't seem to find any turnbuckles with a load bearing weight greater than 130lbs. I specifically need two that are 5/16 x 9 inches eye-and-eye and rated for at least 600lbs each. The problem is that my googling around is only either yielding inexpensive ones that will definitely fail, or ones that will support the load they need, but are $40/each. Anyone have any ideas on where to go?

Would going with a different, slightly larger turnbuckle yield generally stronger components, you think? Or is this a question for a different thread, maybe?

Are you like 500 pounds or something? The directions on the page just say "verify that their weight limit is greater than your weight." I don't know why you'd need them to be able to hold 600 pounds if you're nowhere near that heavy.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

Welp, I managed to find someone local that makes spandex dance wear and they have textured scale fabric and said they can add the belt to the trunks. So that's pretty drat awesome.

Now off to the mall to find some sweet bangles and puzzle out a possible trident.

I don't know if this is something you've already considered/purchased, but if you haven't, a dance belt is probably very important so that you don't end up looking like Boner Robin.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Samuel posted:

People are deathly afraid of the epic "nerd beats 240 people to death with wooden sword" for some reason, some cons I can't even bring repurposed bokuto or a bat for instance. Sometimes you can't bring anything out of wood which sucks because foam weapons look fake as hell.

It's usually not that. It's more like "nerd swings around his wooden sword to look cool, hits somebody walking behind him in the head." Hell, Anime Weekend Atlanta banned even carryout sales of live steel from the dealers room (basically now it's that you pay for it and post-con the dealer ships it to your house) because some dumbass bought a sword, was trying to look cool for a picture, and sliced an old lady in the face by accident.

Hell, if you bring enormous costume wings, and get a bunch of complaints that you're being inconsiderate and just smacking people with them instead of paying attention to where you're going, security will ask you to take them off.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I can't find an actual news article, and as I didn't actually witness it, I can't say for sure that it actually happened. It's something I heard happened, and since I heard it, no live steel (not even sheathed and peace-bound) is allowed in the convention.

...I did hear from a fellow staff member that one year someone from Medical got tackled by a Security guy at like 2 in the morning because Medical was so bored they were having wheelchair races in the halls. Security didn't like that, and everybody but the one guy stopped when Security asked.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Maybe sateen? It'll have a bit of sheen to it, but it's also not going to be the horrifying shiny that costume satin is. This site has white, and since it's cotton, it should dye pretty easily for red. And at the amounts you'll need, it's only $8.42 per yard.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I want to cosplay this lady, described in canon as being "8 feet tall":

I don't think I want to try to stilt up to that height, but I do have some goth boots that have a 4 and a half inch platform, which would bring me up to 5'8.5". I've pretty much got a year to get things together because god knows I won't have it ready for con in 2 months, especially not with classes starting up in three weeks.

Also, how do you get over the whole "I just spent $fuckload on this wig, if I gently caress it up trying to style it, I'm gonna have to spend more to get another one" fears? I have never actually styled a wig because I have been terrified of loving it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

With the Rose Quartz dress, I was considering making an extra layer with boning for extra support and structure. Given that I am, well, not skinny, I was planning on using steel boning for this because of the way plastic boning deforms and becomes horribly uncomfortable with time. Is this a terrible idea? A muslin would definitely have to happen to make sure it fits right, probably use plastic boning with it just for sake of being sure it's positioned right and the right lengths. Also planning on using a flesh-tone applique for the star rather than cut it out, so outer layer->light padding to keep the boning from showing through->structure layer with boning->lining (?) is how I'm picturing it working.