Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm putting together a hasty outfit for an event, and am planning a somwhat loosely interpreted version of a Vault-Suit from Fallout.

I'd quite like to wear a pair of goggles with the outfit for shielding myself from the post-nuclear glare obviously, but I am rather short-sighted so need to wear glasses and (at the moment) can't wear contacts.

Whilst wearing goggles and glasses together is generally Not A Good Look, I was thinking that if I got a cheap pair of the kind of motorcycle goggles that can be worn over glasses and weathered them appropriately, then that might work? I figured that if I got these kind of goggles, I could wear them on my forehead some of the time, and if anyone actually points out I'm wearing glasses too, I can just put the goggles in place :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I need to add LEDs next to the buttons and close up the case of the Pip-Boy, but otherwise I'm pretty much done with the vital accessories for my Fallout Vault Dweller outfit.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

TwystNeko posted:

Ugh. I just talked to the only place in town I could find for doing plastic chroming... $450!

Screw that. Crappy gold duplicolor spray paint it is. :(

You can get metallic paint for scale models which you paint on normally then buff to a really bright shine. I know you can get silver and there's quite possibly gold too. You'd need a fair amount, but it might work. Some of the scale modelling thread dudes might be able to help? (I've seen the stuff in stores but never used it)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm considering making a Soviet cosmonaut outfit (focussing on something that looks cool rather than being accurate) and I'm not sure what to do for a helmet. I could use a cheap plastic fancy dress helmet or motorcycle helmet as a base to or somehow build up from scratch.

I'm not experienced in working with the kind of materials people in this thread use, so scratchbuilding seems a bit intimidating. Does anyone have any suggestions for something to use as a base, or how to start on this? Of course, if someone else has made themself an outfit involving a space helmet, any tips would be appreciated!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Has anyone used a company that does custom printed leggings like this one? http://www.funnylegs.com/Leggings-swimsuits-tights-design-yourself.html

I only need them to stand up to being worn once or twice, so I'm not too worried if they don't last through repeated washing to be honest, but I'm curious as to what the quality is like.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
For some (relatively) quick and easy sci-fi armour, I was going to base an outfit around some American football pads and armoured motorcross leggings. All the "armour" sections are ABS plastic and I was wondering about the best way to paint these. I know that painting on ABS isn't meant to be ideal but I've worked with resin (for model making) before so know all too well about careful preparation and priming.

I was thinking that I'd wash the plastic parts, sand them a bit, then use brush-on primer from the DIY store, then acrylic craft paint and then varnish it - I can't easily take off or mask the parts I want to paint so spraypaint is pretty much out. I don't need it to be too hard-wearing, but if it stood up to a couple of nights of wear without needing repainting that'd be ideal. Any thoughts on the process or brands? (ones available in the UK, ideally!)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

neogeo0823 posted:

Has anyone ever seen a locking joint like what's described here? I've been trolling Google looking for hinge joints like that, and I'm drawing a blank on things that have a joint hinge that can lock in place like that that also has a release lever on one side. Does anyone have any ideas for where I should start looking?

Is this the kind of thing that lets you adjust the angle of some chair backs or am I misunderstanding what it's for?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

McPantserton posted:

I'm not UK based but if you aren't sure where to find EVA foam where you are I would post on the Replica Prop Forum either on facebook or their site and ask, I'm 100% sure there will be local people who can give you specific advice! Also you almost certainly aren't, do your thing and have fun and gently caress everybody else IMO.

If EVA foam is the stuff those exercise floor mats are made from then basically any Argos or big sports equipment store sells these in the UK.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm looking to put together an outfit that involves chest armour with a large logo on it, so I need something with a big relatively flat space on it. I don't really want to make something completely from scratch, so could I just get something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Possbay-Protectors-Motorcycle-Cycling-Snowboarding/dp/B018WWNM1G/ and stick a layer of EVA foam across the front of the plastic somehow, then paint that?

Or could I just fill the gaps in the chest protector with something, sand it all smooth and then paint it?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pile of Kittens posted:

Okay so I'm gonna do the world's most rushed and lovely Furiosa for ECCC Sunday. I'm a professional tailor/seamstress so I can bodge together everything I need really quickly, and I'm overcoming the whole "has two arms" issue by painting my arm chromakey green (aka greenscreen) and probably not even trying to do the robot arm. I'm hoping it'll be a great visual movie tech joke that will get a few laughs. However, I know fuckall about painting my arm green. What's the cheapest/easiest to access option for not-too-awfully-flaky-or-splotchy paint? I'm willing to slightly poison myself (i.e. use fabric paint or whatever) since it's only for one day and I like to live dangerously if it means I can get a good laugh from some nerds.

Limitations: budget (total costume needs to be less than $40), access (Seattle is great but I can't walk to the corner store to buy body paint, but I do live right near Blick which has every other kind of paint but a limited selection of fiber dyes/pigments)

Could you find a pair of green leggings/pantyhose and turn that into a shoulder length glove?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

cloudy posted:

New question!
Prosthetic ear appliances... Think elf ears or something similar. Should I literally make a mold and then fill with liquid latex? Or is there a material I can use to just sculpt the actual ears, let dry, then use those as the actual appliances?
And should I... Take a cast of my actual ears? Not sure if that is really necessary!

Go look for live roleplay supplies. They're all about this sort of thing - you can buy elf ears and attach them to yours with medical adhesive.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm in the process of hot gluing some craft foam to motocross chest armour to make it look even more armoured. Probably should have asked this first, but once I'm done gluing the craft foam, can I give it a light coat of PVA to seal it and then use this as an undercoat http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/vallejo-acrylic-polyurethane-primer-white-17ml/ and then acrylic paint on top?

The foam won't be flexing - it's being glued to flat plastic surfaces, if that matters.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

blastron posted:

I have an idea for my next project once I finish my current one, but I'm trying to scope out feasibility first. What would be the best way to make metallic armor that could be polished to a mirror finish? All of my armor builds so far have been craft foam, which doesn't seem like a solid foundation for something like that.

You can get special metallic paint for model kits that can be buffed to a very shiny finish, but I don't know how they'd look on something larger scale or if you can buy large tins/spray cans suitable for that kind of thing.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I bought one of these type of visors but I hadn't realised that the batteries are exposed at the sides.

I'm going to be wearing it for an extended period somewhere that could get warm, and am worried that if I sweat, it could damage the battery and connection. Can I just wrap the exposed battery portion in electrical tape for protection or would I need to do more than that to be sure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Really don't know which thread to ask in, but here seems as good as any:

Does anyone have experience of these kind of light-up trainers?
https://www.beamshoes.com/
https://www.flashez.co.uk/

I'm curious if they actually hold a charge as long as they say, and if they are relatively sturdy or if the lights stop working after you actually wear them about?