Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Inzombiac posted:

This was my first thought but I've never done felting before. Could I do it in a single day?
I'm hoping to bust it out this weekend.

A lot of the shops online that sell crazy hats like in your post go for $300+.
It will likely take longer than that. You could create the felt piece in a day assuming you have all the materials on hand including the resist. What takes longer is creating a custom hat form. I made one out of Styrofoam that I shaped with a disc sander and painted with pva glue.

Millinery suppliers typically only supply two basic hat blanks; A capeline which is a short cap and wide brim, and a cloche which is similar in size/shape to a modern beanie. Those would be soaked in hot water and stretched over a form but neither of them will be big enough to create both a wide brim and tall point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

CzarChasm posted:

Gonna try and necro this thread

I'm trying to work on a way to make the claws and spiky bits for a Shredder costume, but I'm bumping into some questions.

Originally I was going to sculpt a master out of clay, then make a two sided silicone mold from that, and cast the end product in something. But I'm not sure if the silicone mold would work with liquid plastic, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Smooth-Cast-300-Liquid-Plastic-Compound/dp/B004BN7G0E.

I know silicone tends to not stick to much, but I don't know if liquid plastic is asking too much.

I don't want to cast in resin because that would be a bit too expensive for what I want to make, and clay I think would be too brittle after setting and wouldn't hold up to wear and tear. But are there better alternatives for either the process or the end result? I'd like to keep this under $100, but I'm flexible.

The smooth on video showing how to use Smooth-cast 300 appears to use a silicone mold. The general rule for any casting is to use a release agent which is often an aerosol spray. Im sure smooth on sells one.