Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hi Cosplay Thread!

I'm dipping into reenacting (late iron age, early medieval scandi), and I can't seem to find a proper hand sewing or reenactor thread on the forums. Anyone knows if there is one? Otherwise I'll be posting here.

tia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

You're an absolute treasure! My search function yielded nothing for some reason.

Okay, I will.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Not a con, strictly speaking, but I went to a new heathen religious event yesterday! The "long night" or "run of the yule goats", inspired by the krampus run, wild hunt and other long night traditions where the forces of darkness run into town to bring back the light.

I went as your run-of-the-mill krampus/horned god demonic figure, which I was somewhat content with (considering I threw a headpiece and runic staff amulets together in hours, and used leftover fantasy stuff for accessories). However, my date showed as a huge gently caress-off night moth, and I just had to show you guys:

(she was even going to walk on stilts, but the ice sheets prevented her :aaa: )

Tias
May 25, 2008

She thought about developing the character next year as "mother moth", carrying smaller offspring about her.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I got you: https://www.etsy.com/dk-en/listing/211062125/viking-raven-ring-bronze-adjustable

Although, as a viking reenactor, I gotta say this isn't necessarily a good interpretation of mammen style like the storefront claims.

Tias
May 25, 2008

So I'm going to a warhammer fantasy LARP in may, and I can't really pull my costume together.

Short context: It's a military LARP, in which all players belong to units fighting a number of set-piece battles, drinking, brawling and having a good time in camp between the battles. My "faction" is Averland, a part of the Old World Empire. So the theme is landsknechts/early modern, but I'm part of a new skirmish unit who are not classic warhammer soldiers, instead being RIVER PIRATES :getin::hf::pirate:

I haven't made an outfit from scratch before, but I want to at least embellish a base set of pants and shirt with a really good hat, thematic purity seals and a good finish for my pistol. Averlands colours are black and yellow, and our primary squad uses red as a complementary colour.. However, being forced soldiers with a criminal/irregular background, they might not have to use the strict colour scheme.

So, I guess I'm looking for:
good tips for a beginner on how to pull an outfit together
ideas for looking like a mean authentic early modern river pirate
good ideas for hat decoration

Tias
May 25, 2008

Amazing advice, thanks! I could definitely go for the skaven tails.

Pirates have been around forever, but Warhammer Fantasys human empire is heavily influenced by the 30 yr war and early modern period, which means fancy costumes, plate armour and firearms. However, we're a non-armoured unit with pistols, swords and whatever we decide is a "river pirate" uniform, so any kind of inspiration and feedback is welcome.

It's a lot of running and swordfighting (using rigid latex weapons) so I'll definitely err on the side of practical wear.

Tias fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Amazing feedback, thanks! I'll definitely consider a doublet and perhaps some inner fabric. Last time (when I went as a pikeman) I just had my thermal underpants below the actual custome pants which was fine - sometimes I'd even dispense with it, because running in plate armour in the Danish spring turned out to be plenty hot enough.

Also great point in the pistol accessories. Current ideas are a thong with a rabbit's foot and a charm with an "X" on it (as these guys obviously also worship Ranald the outlaw), but I'm beginning to understand how wide my options are..