Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!
I don't remember this being posted before, but if it has been, please disregard it.
Several weeks ago, I was procrastinating finishing my final projects by browsing the 405th Infantry Division Forums. Basically, it's a community of people who like to make Spartan armor from the Halo franchise, though they also have threads featuring Warhammer 40K builds, among other things. It's not an organized, ahem, regimented group as much as the 501st is, but they do have a lot of cool project threads and tutorials on things like modelling in paper, fiber-glassing said models, constructing and casting from molds, and I think they have a bit on vacuum-forming too. The average posting quality isn't great, but there's some gold in there.

By the way, I've been lurking in here a while, and I thought I'd say that all of you guys are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!
It looks like I'm going to Dragon*Con again this year, and I'm trying to figure out some cosplay ideas. I'm a little over 6' tall, about 160 lbs, and as of this writing I have close-cut auburn hair, and I'm clean shaven. Growing thick facial hair by then would be...tricky. I also typically wear glasses, but I could go without if I needed to.

Here's a photo for reference:

I don't anticipate being able to do anything super fancy; I'm mostly just looking for ideas that would fit my body type/face. A friend suggested Dr. Venture, and that's probably the best idea I've heard thus far. Any suggestions?

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!
I'm going ahead with the Dr. Venture idea. My speedsuit and other accoutrements are in the mail. I haven't yet got a bald cap, though, and I don't want to get one that looks like crap. I'd shave my head, but my girlfriend vetoed that idea. Does anyone have any recommendations for where I should by one? Is there anything I should keep in mind when affixing it and wearing it?

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!
HDPE is pretty good stuff, and not that heavy. My friend actually went as Henchman 21 this year; I'll ask him what he used, and I think he said he had a better idea for next year.

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I did this costume at DragonCon last year, it is the Grand Galactic Inquisitor from the Venture Brothers, and currently my sister and I are rebuilding it. One thing I need help figuring out is how to get the audio to work right on it without it feedbacking. Basically I used a portable PA system (like a megaphone) hooked up to a microphone, which was housed in the chest where his speaker is. The problem is, it feedbacks whenever there is a radio or some electronics nearby, and it also picks up radio waves (I was playing smooth jazz out of my chest for a while).

I don't mean to derail, but I felt like I had to comment: your costume was probably my favorite out of all the ones I saw. Really excellent work.

I was one of a number of Dr. Ventures wandering around on Saturday. It was an interesting experience. First, there are relatively few places from which one can purchase a speed suit, and most of them are not sized for people that are relatively tall and slim (I'm about 6'1" and 165 lbs), so rather than get one with an enormous amount of extra fabric about the waist, I opted to get one that was a little too short but fit my body type. Being a little too short may not be huge problem for most articles of clothing (apart from looking a bit silly), but when it's a one-piece ensemble, it can really limit your movement and posture. So as a result, I was walking around all day with a super-uncomfortable-yet-totally-accurate hunch. I did get some favorable comments and a few people asked me for pictures, so I was very flattered by that. On a couple of occasions, passers-by said nothing to me but muttered, "Speed suit," under their breath.

I also had to use a bald cap and a fake beard. My girlfriend was opposed to me shaving my head, and I have difficulty growing facial hair evenly in a reasonable time frame (though it would have been the right color). Thus I found myself in Spirit Gum Hell and have henceforth foresworn all prosthetics involving it. My fingers ended up a nasty, sticky mess, things did not attach well, it got in my hair, etc. All in all, I'd say the bald cap was the weakest part of the costume, in spite of some last-minute help from my girlfriend with some liquid foundation.

I'm looking for a new costume idea for this year, but I have no idea what to do. Like I said, I'm about 6' tall, slim and have short red hair. I can't really think of a lot characters that would fit that description.

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!
I thought I'd chime in to say that the space marine armor is absolutely amazing. You are living the dream.

In much more mundane cosplay, I've been recruited by friends going to DragonCon to be Agent Coulson for an Avengers group cosplay. This goes well with my relative lack of craftsmanship and limited funds, but the one thing I have a question about would be coloring my hair. I'd like to go from the auburn I have now to more of a flat brown; is there any easy, relatively short-term way to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!
Thanks! Hopefully I can do him justice.