Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

LeviathanGunship posted:

That looks great! Is it an original design or from another series?

Well after much stress over painting both helmet and buster arm, my Protoman costume is finally together and ready for GenCon! (Thumbnailed due to size):

Overall I'm pretty happy with the results. I still need my scarf (partially to hide my hair though otherwise it's all together. The one thing I am slightly worried about is overheating while in the costume. Taking the photos I only had it on for bout 10 minutes but I immediatly began to sweat once I had it on. Are there any good methods of cooling your costume it prolong wear time?

In Stormtrooper armor we wear Under Armor type full body suits that help wick up the sweat and actually keep me rather cool. Inside the helmet we use battery powered fans. Depends on how much room you have in that helmet but I imagine you could pull some padding out and rig something up relatively cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
That's so loving orky! :rock:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

TheHan posted:

So for Halloween this year I was hoping to make a Black Suit Spider-Man costume. I figured it'd be pretty simple, just get a morph suit (get in shape) and do the design on it myself. Problem is I can't find any sort of guide online on how to go about adding designs to a morph suit. So is there are there any good resources someone knows of that walks through the process, or is this one of those things I'd have to special order?

While it would be cool to make your own I think you can get things printed on morph suits which would probably most likely look a lot better!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
McPantserton that looks rad. Where are you planning on taking that and can you post a picture of what you hope it to end up looking like?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I've started on my 2nd Star Wars cause-play:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

duros posted:

This has always been my dream. The scout trooper + Snow trooper are two of my FAVORITE all time character designs.

If you're a competent seamstress/seamsir and you don't mind getting your hands dirty you could do it for ~$600!

e: of course since time = money and I can't sew for poo poo I'm probably going to end up dropping double that on mine :ohdear:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Killer_Frost posted:

Uh I'm totally stealing that term. I love when people do charity with their costuming. :) Good luck to you.

Charity costuming is the best costuming. Don't get me wrong.. I love the attention and posing with people and making people smile, but raising money for sick kids and putting a smile on their faces when you see them is really, really wonderful :unsmith:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Killer_Frost posted:

That's why I got into costuming in the first place... Then got told by the local children's hospital that a female character alone wasn't enough, if I could get Batman or Superman to join me then I could visit the hospital. (Jerks) So I haven't gotten to do anything I really wanted to with it. :( So I have much respect for people who do. Heroes Alliance, Costumers with a Cause, the 501st and Rebel Legion... Yeah much respect for for folks who use their talents to help others.

501st Legion represent! :c00lbert:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Super 3 posted:

Has anyone taken the plunge into sculpting and casting to build masks, helmets, cool widgets? I've been spending a lot of time watching videos, reading blogposts and looking through build threads for a variety of things. It started out as a desire to learn a bit more and it's quickly approaching something I want to try and dabble in.

I have some artistic experience and I've taken more than a few sculpting classes but the building of molds, and latex, and everything else is very new to me. I was thinking about starting off small and maybe trying to sculpt and cast some pumpkin bombs. Something small that would be easy to iterate through different versions quickly.

Are there any beginner gotcha tips someone who has started down this path can offer?

If nobody has good suggestions I can put you in contact with someone that does a lot of stuff you are interested in. He's responsible for the only good Cad Bane masks out there: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1064915/

leg bones posted:

I think I can share now

I've got a Captain Jack get-up. I've only been to one con, but I've been building it for a while.

This looks fantastic! Please take more photos with you wearing it!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
So I'll say that the ladies love a man in uniform (Stormtrooper, of course!), but I've got to imagine panties dropping around you wearing that thing! There has been such a pirate buzz lately...

e: drat, I didn't imagine that coming out so :goonsay:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

McPantserton posted:

Soooo, so super sore but you guyssss

:woop: We did it! First tour had some technical difficulties but overall the suits are doing really well. So loving psyched right now.

Third of from the bottom!

http://fashionablygeek.com/costumes/12-of-our-favorite-cosplays-from-gen-con-2013-feature/

Congrats!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

WaterIsPoison posted:

Went to D*Con this weekend and did a group with a bunch of my friends. I was the engineer.

You're famous! http://fashionablygeek.com/costumes/only-at-dragon-con-will-you-find-kerbal-space-program-cosplay/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
We're approaching 3000 replies! I pop my head in here every so often and I want to say that I've seen some really awesome stuff get posted here. Good job, goons!

And thanks for making this thread successful!