Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nogthree
Jun 28, 2008
Figured I may as well post in here as well. I make a few cast items for local costumers and I'm working on setting up a CNC/vacuforming rig to do so even more.

All I've got to show for my work so far is these purity seals which I sculpted and cast for a friend of mine to paint and finish off.

Oh, and regarding the above topic - the cons in Australia are rather disparate and niche based. I think the only one I regularily go to is Supanova. Animania and several others tend to be full of mouthbreathing otaku who can't comprehend personal boundaries.

Anyhow, would you guys be interested in progress pics of the vacuformed/sculpted parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nogthree
Jun 28, 2008

McPantserton posted:

This is the sort of situation where I've thought about offering print commissions, it'd be perfect for this kind of thing! Are you doing a freezer paper stencil technique? Here's a tutorial: http://www.stayathomeartist.com/2011/07/stencil-with-freezer-paper-harry-potter.html I always had good luck with that sort of stenciling.

I'd be interested to see vacuum forming stuff since I'm looking at doing a ton of stuff like that this year. Cool purity seals! Fun story, we don't have any for our 40k costumes because although we had sculpted a variety of different ones, cast them in resin, and printed the fabric parts, we didn't get around to gluing them together until we were at at Gencon. We had the fabric and stuff laying around and when we went to go assemble everything, we found out the maids had thrown away our fabric. :gonk: Never got around to making new ones. At least the hotel refunded us some money...

That's surprising that they'd just casually clean up random fabric, occupational hazards?

MajorGravy posted:

Which part of Australia are you in? I've been going to the Supanovas in both Perth and Sydney since I moved to Perth in 2010. Only other con besides Nova that I've gone to was last year's SMASH in Sydney.

I'm in Brisbane, and I've got the feeling that the Space Marine armours that I plan to make won't get through security at airports that well. Especially some of the batteries and the like.

nogthree
Jun 28, 2008
Depending on what format you have the file and the changes required I could give it a shot.

Alternatively, Metasequoia which is the 3d app the dev of Pepakura Designer uses most is very simple to use and is free.

nogthree
Jun 28, 2008
So I'm getting back into costume related stuff by doing things I have either forgotten or never did before.

I'm looking to do a 40k basic Enginseer that I can eventually build up into a Magos.

I already have the robe and hood (I didn't sew it up, just bought a 'pagan ritual robe' to save on time.)

I'm looking to hem it in the traditional cog-teeth pattern like in this image, but with a teeth pattern that will actually mesh and be easier to sew.

The problem comes about with the material I've chosen to hem the cogs with. I wanted an industrial semi-mass manufactured look and to add weight so I picked out some signmaker's/upholstery vinyl scraps.

I suspect I'm going to have to sew them on but I'd like to hide the sewing so I'm open to better options. The robe is cotton so no superglue please :)