Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dynastes
Oct 17, 2008
Has anyone ever experimented with color changing car paint used in armor making? I'm wanting to build a suit of Tzeench marked chaos armor and the color changing would be an amazing effect, but the paint seems hard to come by and might melt foam. Anyone have experience working with it or know of other ways to get the same look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynastes
Oct 17, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

Are you talking about the stuff that changes color depending on angle? Because the "paramagnetic" stuff is a hoax.
I hadn't even seen that. I was talking about the angle dependent one, the auto body versions I found are very expensive and require lacquer and thinners and primers that look like they would eat foam.

Dynastes
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks for the ideas. I'll look into the liquitex, and I also found that rustoleum has a color shift that shifts from blue to red to purple, and plasti-dip has a coating as well that would save time as I'll be already coating the foam in plasti-dip to seal it.

Dynastes
Oct 17, 2008
For the color I usually use spray bottles with diluted acrylic paint and one with bleach to lighten heavy wear areas and change the overall mottling. For physical wear, if it's a heavy fabric that will take it, I've weathered clothes (jeans especially) for zombie costumes by hitting them with a weed eater, running them over with with a lawnmower, dragging them down the street behind a car, and beating them with a hammer over asphalt.

Your results may vary.