Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm planning a Megaman costume, in the style of The Protomen. If you don't know who they are, they're a sort of Power-Ballad, Retro 80s Metal concept band based around the general plot of the old NES Megaman games (1+2, specifically).

The issue for me is that the general schtick for their Megaman and Protoman costumes on stage is "Custom Motorcycle Helmet, black shirt, maybe a gun arm"

The Protomen's stage costumes:

Some loving awesome Protoman cosplay, which I think I'll have to use for inspiration:

There is no official concept design for Megaman, as far as I can tell from their website and fan forums, so I have a lot of leeway as far as what I can do. I've decided that I want to roll with a Motorcycle helmet, heavy boots/cowboy boots, and a duster. I think that for the megabuster, I need some sort of removable "glove" like what that Protoman cosplayer has. I'm really kind of blanking on how to make such a thing, though. I have a dirtbike helmet, which I bought for cheap, to test for size. I think I might be able to use it in the final costume with some goggles, though. Any words of advice?

PS: Me looking shocked that this helmet even fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

So I've been collecting bits to make the megabuster for my Protomen Megaman costume, and I've come across something pretty awesome; a photo enlarger.

I think I can disassemble this thing and use it as the major part of the buster itself. I still need to create some kind of sheath/mounting so I can stick it on my arm (probably halfway up my forearm). It was suggested to me that I try using a road cone as the main material for this, since it would be relatively easy to cut, sand, paint, and carry around. I'll be affixing a dowel to the interior of the housing so I can actually hold on to it.

Since the photo enlarger is made of metal, is there any specific kind of glue or epoxy I should use to attach it to the rubber of the cone? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of before I start trying to work with a road cone (or similar rubber?) I still need to actually get one, regardless.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Hoping that this thread can give me some advice and guidance. I'm trying to make an arm cannon for my Megaman costume, which I will hopefully have done for Otakon (in a week). I was going to use a rubber road cone as the base for the sleeve of the cannon, cut so that I can easily wear and remove it as necessary. I've gotten the rough piece of rubber cut out, and I've attempted to paint it using some generic Krylon non-enamel spray paint. My problem is that the paint refused to set completely after I did a first coat a week and a half ago. Yesterday I put another coat of paint on, since I still intend to use it if I can, but I'm pretty worried that it won't dry in time, even though I've had it sitting by the AC unit to get some airflow.

What are some quick/easy/cheap alternatives for me to construct the sleeve portion of an arm cannon? I don't have much space in my apartment, and I don't have a dedicated workshop area. I was considering paper mache, but I don't know if that can A)be sturdy enough, B)not look like rear end.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm already making a trip to the Ace Hardware tonight to get some more spraypaint. I'll see if they have any chicken wire or something to use as a frame for paper mache. I'll consider the foam thing also.

I was also thinking about rigging up a simple light for the business end, which I have no real idea of how to do, aside from "use solder for circuitry."

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 19, 2012

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks again for all the suggestions. This is my first costume project for a Con. This may not turn out the prettiest, but I expect that I'll keep working to improve this one costume for other Cons. On the upside, my helmet should loot fairly nice. I'll post some pics later once I get some finer sandpaper and have it more or less done.

By the way, it's not a straight Megaman costume. I'm trying to make it in the style of The Protomen. I'll be wearing a blue flightsuit instead of the blue diaper-onesie that Mega is normally seen in.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Got some light vinyl garden fencing, clear polyurethane coat, and foam. I'm ready to mache some paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I feel like a huge amateur (I am), following on the heels of all this awesome yoshimitsu stuff, but I've put some process photos of my Megaman costume on imgur. I actually have a few more to upload, since I've done some more work since this last batch.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 24, 2012