Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That Han is pretty cool! Seems like it might be a hilarious thing to cosplay as, get set up near a wall and move around at times to scare people. Also photobombing.

So I was thinking of doing Atomic Robo for the next Supanova in Aus. I'd rather do Dr. Dinosaur so I can run around yelling about crystals, but baby steps. Good thing about the character is he often runs around in long sleeves so the build won't be too impossible.

I have this statue and intend to crib mostly off of it.

Anyone have any advice for this sort of thing? Sadly I can not find any pdo file's for Atomic Robo :<

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So for the upcoming Gold Coast Supanova I'm going to try and do my best at a Frank West.

Already got the camera so I'm 90% of the way there, right?

Going to get some foam tomorrow (hopefully) and work on a servbot head, which I may just keep on the shelf it it gets too hot on the Saturday.

Pondering building a defiler, but don't know if it'd be out of character, I guess Frank West did do combo weapons in the sequels/DLC, but I am at an impasse.

It could be cool to do some 'erotica/horror/outtake' type placards, but at a certain point I don't know how to carry all this stuff.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
This the thread to ask about Cosplay photography as well? I've gotten more into that side of late, and wondered how people go about getting more exposure.

I'd love to eventually move into taking solo shots for people, get more 'in character' type photos.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

How do you arrange shoots and where do you post your pictures?

I haven't tried arranging any yet. Mostly I head to cons and take photos of people there.

Photos did go up all over the place, but deviantart made uploading huge collections a pain, and tumblr is as annoying, and I felt the pain of not being able to tag yourself in photos so I made a facebook page. I do share the galleries on the aus cosplay pages I know about too.

Shameless link is here. I'll get some cards made up for next year and hand them out when I take photos.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 2, 2014

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Bag of Hamsters posted:

If you're worried about experience levels, don't. Anyone who's not an rear end will know they're helping you build a portfolio, just like they want to get better making costumes.

It may seem like everyone and their mother is taking cosplay photos, but the amount of reliable, non-creepy photographers who actually like taking cosplay photos is vanishingly small. Word will get around.

Thanks for all the awesome advice! I'll definitely work on most of thise, and I'll be the one to record cosplayer names rather than expect them to keep a card. Kinda forgot a lot of costumes don't exactly have pockets.

McPantserton posted:

A lot of the photographers I know will post on a convention's facebook page before the con and schedule mini photoshoots in advance. That way you can scout a location near the convention and get shots that are better than in the hotel. In the circles I run in, doing setting-appropriate shots seems to be really becoming the main focus of cosplay photography.

Huh I'll have to give that a go. Setting appropriate does sound more fun, and I've half a mind to build a green screen I can carry around so anywhere can become appropriate =D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
So to my surprise, there's actually a fairly active and vibrant Brisbane cosplay community, I've been to a few meets and taken just a butt load of photos.

Not so surprisingly, everyone has been super welcoming and positive and it's very cool when they tag themselves in an old gallery.

It'll be fun tomorrow, small expo on in Brisbane and have a bunch of people who want me to take photos of them in their cosplay :D