Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

HardDisk posted:

Hey. Nice to see a cosplay thread other than the PYF one.

It might get asked around a lot around the internet, but what the hell.

How does one get started into cosplaying?
More specifically, I always wanted to make a Ragnarok Online costume since I played it a lot, but I only go as far as collecting source material. :(

I got into cosplay because of the awesome costumes I saw at my first convention a friend and I went to when I was 14. My mom made all of my Halloween costumes when I was little, there was no pre-bought crap in our house, and one of my best friends had a mom who made the costumes for Disneyland. So with my mom teaching me how to sew, me wanting to be awesome at conventions which were so fun and rad, and being too old to trick or treat on Halloween, I shifted my focus to cosplay. I really like talking with other cosplayers and I love the attention when I'm in costume as well as showing off what I accomplished. I'm a pretty introverted person, but in costume I feel like things open up since it's not me, it's the character.

Take a local sewing class to learn some basics and how to read and modify patterns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

HardDisk posted:

I can certainly relate to being awed by the costumes on the first con you go and wanting to be a part of it. :)
As for sewing, I'm terrified of sewing machines. :ohdear: But just I think it is because I don't know how to use them.

Aw, don't be scared! My sister is terrified to use a machine because she thinks she'll sew her hand. I can tell you from experience while it IS possible, it's pretty drat hard to do (and by "possible" I mean "stick yourself on the needle") Seriously, though, go find a local sewing class (better if it was from like a quilting shop or something, or the Y, but Joann might have some that aren't bad, either. My store didn't have sewing classes because we were tiny, so I'm not sure of the quality, but it'll teach you the basics.)

Seriously, though, sewing machines are easy. You just need to know the way to thread the machine and BAM you're sewing. :)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Rocketwitch posted:

How many conventions do you visit in cosplay per year? And do you make more than one cosplay per year?
I'm really interessted in cosplay habits of others.

On average most of my friends and I attend 5 conventions in cosplay and make 3 cosplays per year. That's more or less standard in the german cosplay community.

Depending on how plush with cash I am, I go to anywhere from 3 to 5 conventions a year with an average of 2-4 costumes. I do try to work on costumes throughout the year, but the cons are during the summer. AX, A-Kon, ComicCon, AFest and Quakecon are my usuals, though we've only cosplayed once at Quakecon since its no so much a convention as it is a LAN party (and we went in our award winning Orange Box costumes from A-Kon that year.)

AX is really my favorite, and the one I grew up with, so I try to make a visit home to my family when I go and often make another costume while there and save my big guns for that con since it seems people put in the most effort for AX (A-Kon goes downhill every year. I mean, we lost Funimation as an industry guest and they are IN TOWN, so that's embarrassing...)

Though between me and my husband, I think we only have three costumes that haven't been retired (and are great in a pinch) and at least three more we've been working on off and on for like, two years now. :|

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I went to 3 cons last year. It's usually 2. I'm trying to make it more this year.

Last year I decided to make five costumes. Three for me and two for my brother. I have made 2 already this year, but they were super easy. I have plans to make.... uh, five more. gently caress.

In other news, today I learned that Model Magic doesn't stick to plastic :( I was hoping I would have some kind of Yoshimitsu mask progress shots to post, but now I have to wait to get Paperclay/Paper Mache at Michael's and try this again.

Have you tried something like apoxie sculpt?

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

I ordered mine from The Engineer Guy from a tip by Volpin. Cheaper than amazon, too. A little can go a very long way since you essentially order double (two tubs to mix together in equal parts. Think of it like better quality Mighty Putty by Billy Mayes.) You'll find you'll use it for everything, though. It's light, sculptable, sturdy, air "dries", and paintable.

I got the 4 lb since I can use it of so much stuff, but you'd probably do well with the 1 lb and still have leftovers to play with.

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 29, 2012

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

I figure any costume counts. I'd love to see historical stuff up in here, so I say post it. :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Thank you x 1000 to whoever recommended Apoxie Sculpt to me, it's amazing! I'm going to use it on every project from now on.

:tipshat: They're looking really good, Thizz!

And I guess I should probably start on my costumes for this year. Uuuugh, I wish costumes didn't cost MONEY. :(

So far I think I've got going a:

Fiona - Adventure Time (hubs is going as Marshall Lee)
Mistress 9 - Sailor Moon (friend is going as Black Lady and I need to work out my flabby arms :qq:)
Natsuki (OZ avatar) - Summer Wars

I might bring my Makoto since it's a great backup costume that gets a good reaction every year.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

What? I love AX. :( A-kon is the lovely one IMO. We're not even getting a room or going for the whole weekend this year...

And what con? I know the Shriners now have Anaheim, which is fine since AX really is doing well downtown (the last time they took over Anaheim and we had to move to Long Beach was awful since we had outgrown it.)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Rufus En Fuego posted:

:(

Aw, that sucks to hear. I dunno if I'm just used to the area or what, but I always find a ton of places to eat and we've had good luck with the Sheraton (right next to a 24 hour Subway, IHOP, and a Walgreens). The trick is if the food you want is not right next to the convention center (and this past year every day had a good handful of "gourmet food trucks" show up) you hop a hotel bus and go that way. CPK and Johnny Rockets and Famima were only a few blocks down from the Nokia theater. Never been to Otakon, though. I can't imagine AX being smaller dealers room wise, it's the largest con in the US. :aaa:

Then again, this'll be my 11th year going to AX and the first convention I ever went to. Also, the special ticket for the AMVs is lovely, they didn't used to do that, but I guess it just got too big (as well as paying extra for the concerts that also used to be included...) We usually end up going to the AMV re-screening/awards the next day for free.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

As far as those specific coats (if you needed something from the top picture for example) you'd just look in different places that sell men's clothing, but besides it being a stylized suit jacket, a dress shirt (with a different colored collar and cuffs) and a waistcoat (vest) or two, they don't really have anything terribly special about them except the fashion style. If you wanted to get that specific you'd either need to buy what you see or make it yourself, unfortunately. That's where you get into patterns and modifying them.

As far as the costume example, that jacket is a pretty stylized peacoat, and you might be able to find something similar in a women's shop, which you might have to add on your own piping (the white trim part) as well as replace the buttons to something custom, I'd imagine. That hat is probably something like a newsboy hat, which you can just find your own fabric or ribbon to tie around the band.

Online shops, I'd try Amazon and pretty much just good ol' google, since I'm a bit unfamiliar with AU sites. :shobon: Another goon might be able to help you out with that. But I suggest going to some fashion/clothing oriented websites and learn the names of clothing.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

THIZZ- Those masks are looking rad as hell.

McPantserton- Could you possibly go over more in detail how you do that metallic screen printing? I basically know nothing of screen printing and everything you've produced for this costume is so very :fap:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Just knocked out my Fionna hat in about an hour.

Been too broke and lazy to do these costumes ahead of time. Looks like it'll just be Fionna and Mistress 9 this con season, but I will be working on more stuff after the con. Namely the main female hero from Pokemon Conquest, Natsuki from Summer Wars and some other goodies. I'm kind of itching to try some screen printing now. :D

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

I was actually surprised how well makeup removing cloths took off sealed grease paint and foundation, too.

Werle- Keep it up, man, this is turning out awesome.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Ok, so I now have a duct-tape mannequin. Now I need to decide if/how I want to make a Spiderman costume. Some parts are easy. The boots and mask have me worried. Specifically, the lenses. I'd like to make comic-syle lenses, but I reaaaaally don't like the idea of trying to cobble together something to get the curvature and shape right.

So it looks like I have some decisions to be making, asap.

Why not find some cheap Oakley knockoffs for large, spidey lenses? They might also take to a gentle working with a heat gun if the curve is off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Is it this?

There should be a section with some "bottom weight" material (stuff they make things like the Dickey's pants out of. If you are still unsure, ask an employee, they should know.) Don't go for something super heavy, but there should be something there that is a little light with some stretch around those materials.

If you want just straight up cotton, go check out the quilting section, though those won't give you any give.

Honestly, anything that short will give the flair and ruffle you want once put together and gathered. :)