Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
So this thread isn't just a honeypot to trap filthy cosplayers? :ohdear:

My little sister got into the hobby a couple years ago, which dragged me back in. Since P4 Arena is out now, I'm going to try Aigis. Trying to figure out how to do the gold parts around the joints. The internet suggests modeling them from fiberglass cloth and epoxy over foam (sheets?), but I'm not sure how to put the pieces together afterward. Is there a way to secure bolts and fasteners into fiberglass without making it fall apart, or should they just be glued to one another? And can the parts be attached to clothing in a way that lets them be removed later? I'm still new at DIY costumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

McPantserton posted:

I've never used fiberglass but it seems like those pieces could all also be done with a sheet plastic like styrene since the curve is one-directional, and then you could drill holes and use a rivet gun or something to attach them? And maybe on the arms and thighs, just go for a super burly glue on the inside to preserve that smooth look.
Styrene looks like it would work a lot better than what I was planning. Neater, too. Thank you so much for the suggestion, I'm checking out some tutorials now.

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Don't know what to tell ya about the edging as right now I'm a bit brain dead feeling so I will get back to you after sleep and thought. But cool to have another persona person around just finished Yukiko for PAX Prime last year planning to one day finish Kanzeon.
I've been thinking about doing a Persona cosplay for years. Never an actual persona, though. :psyduck: Are you doing the kite/satellite dish headgear and everything?

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

I can't finish my costume or even verify that it fits until I sew on the zipper that was supposed to be here two days ago. Amazon can't tell me where the gently caress it went and the convention is in less than a week :tizzy:

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Pokemon Hunter J is the next character up on my cosplay list. What sort of material could be used to make the lens of a visor like this? I've been looking at transparent plastics, but all the colored ones are too foggy to see through.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Finally decided that for this year's Otakon, I don't want to be an anime, I want to be a Nord :black101: I'm going to try and put together a female version of the character used on Skyrim promotional art, which is basically this, but with the male version of the helmet. Time to see if I can learn both leatherworking and foam sculpting in a month and a half!

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Finished the base of my helmet. Next I'm planning to overlay it with paper mache and paperclay, and sculpt the horns with expanding foam.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Any tips for layering thin vinyl sheets to give the impression of a thicker piece of leather? I was thinking of maybe putting felt in between them. For reference, I'm trying to make these pleats.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Bag of Hamsters posted:

I actually hunted for pleats and almost opened the game before I realized you meant the panels.

Don't use vinyl. You can get leather-look fabric that is not vinyl that is much, much easier to sew [and Skyrim poo poo tends to be more suede-like than shiny leather]. You're spot on with using felt or canvas to give it heft and stiffness, also liberally age the fuckers with paint because even quilted stuff never looks that dimensional. It'll make adding studs WAY easier too.

I can do a bit of digging tomorrow for fabric recommendations if you want 'em.

So close to done on Ryuko. Glove, adding bolts to shoes, styling wig, and it's finished. Schoolgirl costumes are always so finicky and I had to do way more handsewing than expected. Will take daylight shots tomorrow.

Sorry, I'm dumb with words. Panels, right. I could really use some fabric recommendations, since my searches keep bringing me back to vinyl upholstery fabric. For suede, maybe something like this?

I was planning to use rivets for the studs, since it would be easier to punch through the fabric and more secure than regular fastened studs. Do you think fastened studs would work better?

Squarely Circle posted:

I've seen dark brown microsuede at JoAnn's that's like an exact match for that ref, right down to the slightly scaley texture. For extra support, I would suggest craft foam sheets if you want it to resemble really thick leather and not just a slightly heavier fabric.

I did a quick check of Joann's the last time I was near one to see if I could find anything that matched, but got caught up looking in the upholstery section. I guess they would stock it with the regular fabrics?

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

I managed to finish my helmet and axe. The paper mache and paperclay remained a little lumpy no matter how much I sanded, but a guy at the art supply store I go to suggested sponge-painting gray and orange over a bronze base to mimic the texture of rusted iron, which came out really well. Hopefully it looks convincing enough that the bumps can be passed off as part of the hammered/weathered look. :shobon: Regarding the rest of the armor, does anyone know where I could get metal disc-shaped studs/rivets/fasteners about 1" in diameter? The biggest I could find were these, which are 5/8".

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

What sites are we all using for wigs nowadays? I've been enlisted to play Pearl for a group Steven Universe cosplay. My normal go-to wig site is Amphigory, but they don't seem to have anything in the peach/apricot sort of color I'm looking for.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not a big fan of Arda, honestly; their wigs look kind of chunky and artificial to me, and I prefer a more natural look, even for extremely unnatural characters. (Also, I've seen a few Pearls who must have been using those suggested wigs, and I didn't really like the way they turned out.) Maybe I should look into dying wigs?

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Natalie Fartman posted:

Are there any better options at that price point though? They come with lace fronts and a hairline you can adjust slightly to suit, as well as being particularly hardy. Sure, you have to do some work on them, but they are also fairly cheap. The ones we used (see the immortan joe post further up the page) went from looking particularly artificial to reasonably natural. I thinned the ends out dramatically on both, and rubbed ash powder into them to remove the shine. They ended up working pretty well for us.

That's true. Yours look pretty good; I've never really delved into the art of reshaping and reconditioning wigs beyond basic styling and upkeep, so I may not be seeing all the possibilities. I might grab the Cady wig and see what I can do with it. Do you have any tutorials you recommend?

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

McPantserton posted:

One super simple way to make a wig look more natural is to soak it in fabric softener, it drops down the shine and it can help reduce the volume some too. Also Arda's newer silky line might be worth checking, they're a lot sleeker than the original fibers. Although for Pearl's hair you might want the added texture for styling.

I'm probably going to stick with the Cady classic, since it's closer to what I need than anything from the Silky collection. I think I'll need to sharpie dye it, though--should that be done before or after softening it? I'd imagine before, but I don't know if fabric softener will make it harder for the fibers to absorb the color.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

McPantserton posted:

Yeah, I'd probably do it before. It shouldn't really take the dye out or anything either as long as the fabric softener/water isn't super hot or anything, I know Malinda (who is their main wig stylist and does a ton of their tutorials) sprays/re-soaks her wigs in the fabric softener later if they need to be cleaned up or anything so I can't imagine it would wreck the color later.

Neat, I'll try that. It'll be my first foray both into wig softening and wig dying, so we'll just see how it goes.

While I'm thinking about wigs: the guy we have playing Greg has an enormous head. Like, 99th percentile big. Most baseball caps won't even fit this guy. For Otakon, we were pressed for time and had to work with a normal girl's wig, and it looked fine in pictures, but it was bunching up and trying to escape off his head all day. No amount of bobby pins would keep it in place for more than a few minutes. So, I'm trying to find a better option. Does anyone know of a cosplay wig manufacturer that sells particularly large-circumference wigs, or of a way to modify a small wig so that it fits a larger head?

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

Arda started carrying the Cady in light peach, which is the perfect color for Pearl! Procrastinating worked out for me; now I don't have to dye it after all. I was styling it yesterday, and the fibers were lovely to work with. Thankfully I'm playing "young" Pearl, whose hair isn't quite as ridiculous.

Also, since this didn't get any responses last time: I'm still looking for somewhere to buy an ENORMOUS (in terms of cap size) wig.

Ratspeaker posted:

The guy we have playing Greg has an enormous head. Like, 99th percentile big. Most baseball caps won't even fit this guy. For Otakon, we were pressed for time and had to work with a normal girl's wig, and it looked fine in pictures, but it was bunching up and trying to escape off his head all day. No amount of bobby pins would keep it in place for more than a few minutes. So, I'm trying to find a better option. Does anyone know of a cosplay wig manufacturer that sells particularly large-circumference wigs, or of a way to modify a small wig so that it fits a larger head?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

McPantserton posted:

Arda is the largest cap ones I know of. As for enlarging, I googled "how to make a wig larger" and came up with a ton of results, mostly indicating you'd likely need to splice 2 together.

Bit of a late reply, but thanks for the tip on Arda having a larger than usual wig cap. I ordered their Jareth long, and it fits very snugly on my friend's head, but not enough to bunch up and fall off, so we're calling it a win. :)