Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I might also suggest hitting up the rhinestones/jewelery department of Michaels/Hobby Lobby or looking at the Buttons department at Jo-ann. I just bought a whole bucket of rhinestones from HL, and they had a whole rainbow assortment in various sizes. I think the largest ones would probably be just about right.

Found these with a quick search, but they had more variety in store
https://www.hobbylobby.com/Beads-Jewelry/Mixed-Media-Jewelry/Rhinestones/Fiesta-Flat-Acrylic-Stone-Mix/p/80812603

I think the Nail polish will probably work well too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Perhaps I'm missing something, but why can't the Aluminum be weathered? There is something called "aluminum black" that I found with a quick google, that gun enthusiast use to darken aluminum. Check out these quick results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiTWVZrk8FQ

Now, they sell it on Amazon, about $8 for a small bottle. Depending on how you want to have your aging go, what I would try is after the parts are assembled, maybe try spritzing this on from a spray bottle. I doubt it would be cost effective to buy a quantity large enough to submerge the whole piece in, but $8 is a small investment to test with. Might also give some ideas if you are going to use aluminum anywhere else.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

My cosplay for UK Games Expo is basically finished. I don't have a final glamour shot of it all with weathering and stuff yet, but all the major bits are together.

The droid - R-M8E - sits on my shoulder.

The eyepatch

The coat

Closer up shot of the shoulder pad and the logo.

I've also got a robot arm, plus fabric parts, and some accessories including a belt pouch, a water bottle (this thing is super hot) and a nerf gun a friend painted, plus a holster I made myself.

That is super cool looking

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Goldaline posted:

Zidane himself is basically done, just the Knife Gun and scabbard left to finish up before Otakon. I wouldn't even bother with them but I'm entering the Hall Contest and I fell like they'll question why I didn't include them because they're on the high res render (even though the Mage Masher is definitely his more iconic weapon??)

Nice job!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

With very little sewing experience, I am trying... a thing

That's the uniform from like the first episode before they decided on pants for everyone, right?

Good luck, though that's probably a good design to try for a beginner.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

If you can find some ornate feathers and paint them in bright colors you could describe them as Phoenix Feathers/Downs/Pins

A golden snitch from Harry Potter might work

A collection of Infinity Stones (must sell as a group) would be good.

Depending on if you are looking at including less "fantasy" a batarang or two might work

A green lantern ring might be cool

The puzzle box from Hellraiser

A mogwai in a cage

An Alien egg

A dragon ball might be pretty good too, and easy to make

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

The waistband is elastic and attached to the skirt, so no fastening is necessary, just need to make a big circle "buckle" with the letter D on it. Setting is the 1940s, so I want to keep that in mind, and it's all on stage, so it doesn't need to look good close up at all. Right now I'm thinking just foam covered in fabric with the 'D' painted on, but maybe there is something way cool/obvious that I don't know about?

I'm picturing this as a big metal belt buckle, so what I would do is I would make a disk out of sturdy foam, maybe something about 1/4 inch thick. Then I would take thinner craft foam (about 1/8 in thick), cut out the D, and glue it on to the first disk so it's actually raised a little. Or you could just use a few layers of the craft foam, glue a few circles together and then glue the D on top.

Rythe posted:

Can I subsitute wicker for ratan wood for internal frame work structure?

Im having a hell of a time finding ratan strips for what I need. My Google-Fu is weak lately.

Probably. What is the structure and how would the rattan be used in the original construction? How much weight is it going to support?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

If I was doing it, I would add a few more wicker strips for a little more reinforcement. So where you have four vertical pieces I would probably double that to 8, and then add some horizontal pieces halfway up and down between the "equator" and the top/bottom. After that skeleton is in place it might be easier to attach the fabric to it.

I don't know how much fabric you have, but your sphere appears to be shorter than a yard tall, which should mean that your fabric piece (assuming you bought it off of a bolt) could be held in place at one longitude line and wrapped around the whole frame. Then any excess is just trimmed and tucked in to the top and bottom holes.

On the plus side, while basic cotton won't be super stretchy, it will have some give to it. I'd say looser around the frame would probably be better, otherwise it might look a little angular.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Nice job. Glad it worked out for you.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Hot glue might work depending on how much weight is being applied. It also depends on what the other plastic actually is. If it is something where the anchor point will be hidden, a 2 part epoxy putty like JB Weld water might be a good choice. It can be sanded and painted after it cures.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Do you want them to actually "feel" like cloth, or do you want them to behave like cloth, or do you want them to look like cloth?

What kind of plastic are you working with? There's hard and soft plastics. If you have the patience, plastic grocery bags can be woven into a fabric of sorts. With sharp blades, plastic soda bottles can be turned into a string of sorts.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Looks good. I might age the vest and jacket just a little, but otherwise it looks really good.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Much better, looks great

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I picked up a plastic Vega (from Street Fighter) mask with plans to turn it into the face shield for a Shredder costume. Without knowing 100% what kind of plastic I'm dealing with, what's the best way to paint it? I'm thinking a matte black spraypaint base coat and then hopefully a silver or chrome top layer. Thoughts?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Posted these in the CC crossover circus, but this is a good place too.

Face shield for a Shredded costume.

Need to finish securing the strap to the other side, and then work on the helmet, but it's getting somewhere.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Rythe posted:

That is a nice one, are you free handing the helmet or working off a pattern? I built my first foam helmet a year agoand it was the shredder from the movie, it has seems showing but I love it.

My first go on the helmet was freehand, using a baseball cap as kind of inspiration, but it came out a bit too small, so I'll have to go again. It's all a learning curve.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Strelok604 posted:

I guess I'm gonna be spray painting it when I'm done anyway
Now to find clothes to make the rest of the cosplay with, which I'm really stumped on. The red coat is probably my biggest question, the rest I can probably find answers to on my own

Is it a coat, or is it a cape? Because if it's a cape, you might be able to get away with a yard or two of faux red fur
https://www.amazon.com/Fabric-Faux-Fur-Red/s?rh=n%3A12899121%2Cp_n_material_browse%3A378539011%2Cp_n_size_browse-vebin%3A2637801011

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Gonna try and necro this thread

I'm trying to work on a way to make the claws and spiky bits for a Shredder costume, but I'm bumping into some questions.

Originally I was going to sculpt a master out of clay, then make a two sided silicone mold from that, and cast the end product in something. But I'm not sure if the silicone mold would work with liquid plastic, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Smooth-Cast-300-Liquid-Plastic-Compound/dp/B004BN7G0E.

I know silicone tends to not stick to much, but I don't know if liquid plastic is asking too much.

I don't want to cast in resin because that would be a bit too expensive for what I want to make, and clay I think would be too brittle after setting and wouldn't hold up to wear and tear. But are there better alternatives for either the process or the end result? I'd like to keep this under $100, but I'm flexible.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Thanks both.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

That's amazing

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

My immediate first thought is nylon strapping and adjusters
https://www.strapworks.com/shop-by-product-type/plastic-hardware/strap-adjusters

Probably 3 horizontal bars down each leg, two around each foot, over the arch to secure the foot in place on the base plate.

Maybe buckles, but I'd really rather just worry about loosening straps vs un-clasping buckles down my leg.

I am not an engineer though, so stay safe.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Tias posted:

So I'm going to a warhammer fantasy LARP in may, and I can't really pull my costume together.

Short context: It's a military LARP, in which all players belong to units fighting a number of set-piece battles, drinking, brawling and having a good time in camp between the battles. My "faction" is Averland, a part of the Old World Empire. So the theme is landsknechts/early modern, but I'm part of a new skirmish unit who are not classic warhammer soldiers, instead being RIVER PIRATES :getin::hf::pirate:

I haven't made an outfit from scratch before, but I want to at least embellish a base set of pants and shirt with a really good hat, thematic purity seals and a good finish for my pistol. Averlands colours are black and yellow, and our primary squad uses red as a complementary colour.. However, being forced soldiers with a criminal/irregular background, they might not have to use the strict colour scheme.

So, I guess I'm looking for:
good tips for a beginner on how to pull an outfit together
ideas for looking like a mean authentic early modern river pirate
good ideas for hat decoration

As far as putting an outfit together goes, there's a few things to keep in mind. This is a LARP event, so I have to imagine a lot of running/quick movements, so comfortable clothes are probably more of a focus rather than style. Also, because of that, you probably want items that are good with getting sweaty in, or don't mind getting full of dirt and mud. IDK, maybe this is a less active LARP, but that will have an influence over how you dress. When you say pirate I see one thing, but then you say landsknechts and I see something else entirely. I'm not sure which is closer to what your mental image is. In either case, tights would probably be a good starting point, with maybe basic flat, ballet style slippers (again, if you are going to be running or on your feet all day, do something with support instead). If landsknechts are your style, maybe buy one pair black and another yellow, cut the leg off of one, and then wear it over the full set like an extra long sock. This would probably have to be pinned in place if you can't sew, and sewing stretch material can be kind of difficult. If going for more classical pirate, then flesh colored tights, and then some baggy shorts worn over that, with frayed or torn cuffs.

I'm not super familiar with Warhammer specifically, but this is a fantasy setting with Skaven or Orks, right? If that's the case, and you want to be a mean, dirty pirate, accessorize with trophies of either Ork ears, Skaven tails or teeth from either faction as is setting appropriate. Any of those would be good spare decorations or hat specific ones. If you are going to buy fake plastic teeth/fangs, they are probably going to be bright white to maybe slightly off white. Do a blackwash (black paint thinned with water, applied heavy, then wiped off with a paper towel) to give some quick aging.

For authenticity, I believe only captains would have the traditional "taco" style, pirate hat, but the Jack Sparrow tri-corner style would probably be good. Otherwise a bandanna or do-rag style head cover would probably be accurate, and less upsetting if it gets damaged or lost during a LARP fracas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

Do you recognize this man?

I immediately heard this in Robert Stack's voice, and now I have the urge to call 800-876-5353 with information.