Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Hey. Nice to see a cosplay thread other than the PYF one.

It might get asked around a lot around the internet, but what the hell.

How does one get started into cosplaying?
More specifically, I always wanted to make a Ragnarok Online costume since I played it a lot, but I only go as far as collecting source material. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

paisleyfox posted:

I got into cosplay because of the awesome costumes I saw at my first convention a friend and I went to when I was 14. My mom made all of my Halloween costumes when I was little, there was no pre-bought crap in our house, and one of my best friends had a mom who made the costumes for Disneyland. So with my mom teaching me how to sew, me wanting to be awesome at conventions which were so fun and rad, and being too old to trick or treat on Halloween, I shifted my focus to cosplay. I really like talking with other cosplayers and I love the attention when I'm in costume as well as showing off what I accomplished. I'm a pretty introverted person, but in costume I feel like things open up since it's not me, it's the character.

Take a local sewing class to learn some basics and how to read and modify patterns.

I can certainly relate to being awed by the costumes on the first con you go and wanting to be a part of it. :)
As for sewing, I'm terrified of sewing machines. :ohdear: But just I think it is because I don't know how to use them.

McPantserton posted:

I personally just jumped in! At my first convention I went without a costume because I thought it was lame, but then I saw how many people had badass outfits, and I was jealous. Since then, I have spent an excessive amount of time and money on costumes. Don't worry too much about the fact that you don't know how to sew or armor or whatever. Everybody learns by starting at a baseline point! Look at awesome blogs like Kamui Cosplay, Blind Squirrel Props, and Volpin, and see what kind of materials people use. It's a really nice way to gain knowledge about materials without having to experiment. I really think that the first step is just to try, though. My friends and I didn't think our Big Daddy suit was going to work at all but we've got that suit fine-tuned to the point where it can be put on a person in less than 10 minutes and you can see and walk in it, which I think is a success.

What class do you want to be? I've played way more RO in my life than I care to admit and I probably could think of some ideas for whatever if I knew what you were aiming for.

Congrats on having the courage to just jump in! How was the feeling in your first day wearing your first costume?

I played a lot with High-Priest/Archbishop, and loved every second of it, even if I had to party with people that sucked balls. But there was something about support class that clicked for me, so yeah.

Mizufusion posted:

I got started when I was in middle school (preteen years), and my mom did most of the sewing for me. Some of the costumes were from scratch, some were modified from other garments. I think either way is acceptable, depending on what you're making and the quality of your source garments. If you're concerned with accuracy and fit, it's probably better to make your own garment, though. I learned the hard way that modifying things can be just as much work as making them when I tried to turn a coat into a Revolutionary Girl Utena jacket one year..

If you know what class you want to play, I can possibly give you ideas. I've done a high priestess so far (pictured earlier in the thread), and I'm planning an archbishop right now. The nice thing is that if you don't get the costume design just right, you can always claim "artistic license" because it's an MMO character. I've actually seen pictures from one cosplayer who did three different versions of the female archbishop costume, complete with accessories. :downs:

Yeah, coming from a programming background, I know what you mean by modifying stuff is sometimes almost as hard as making it from scratch. How did that turn out?

As I said above, I think ArchBishop (I'm male) is almost a natural for me (I did find funny that one of the first posts were about a Ragnarok Online character, and the High Priestess to boot. Talk about a small Internet :v: ).
I almost went with Blacksmith once, but I didn't have the body to pull off wearing that shirt that way and I had nothing in the way of accessories.

Thanks for all of the responses. :)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So, I've been looking into the Arch Bishop costume and I think this pattern might be a good starting point.

Thoughts?

Since this is my first cosplay project, I have set my deadline to be at the end of the year or at most the beginning of the next year, since that's when the two major cons happens. I hope I can make it. :)

EDIT: Found these lying around. Any thoughts?

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 29, 2012

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So what do you guys recommend for someone that wants to start doing cosplay stuff? I'm eyeing Kamui Cosplay's series of books. It says that it covers the basics, but I'm not sure if it is targeted at absolute beginners with doing stuff in general.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I still don't have something very specific set in stone, but I was thinking in doing one of the characters in Overwatch, (either Soldier:76 or Junkrat, more specifically) which is my current obsession. I don't sew and I'm not especially good with my hands, but one aspect that I'm really forward to doing is making the guns that the characters use.

I mentioned Kamui Cosplay mostly because they recently made a D.Va gun prop-making mini-series and it the final product looked amazing and not too complicated.

They also have a book series that they sell on their store, and since the books also apparently focus on prop-making, I was thinking on picking those up. But as I said, I'm not sure how much detail for beginners they go into.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah, I guess just doing it is the best way to, well, do stuff. I just have this massive hangup about doing everything right in the first time so I don't waste material, but this just means I read a lot and end up not doing anything.

Thanks guys. :)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Man, everything there looks loving amazing and I'd put it all way past beginner level prop-maker...

... But is it just me or is anime getting weird? :stare:

Also thanks guys for the encouragement. :3:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 26, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

For me it was watching a shitton of youtube about cosplay creation wot did it.
But mostly yeah, watch some videos, read some tutorials, buy some floor mats and a hot glue gun, make something. It won't be amazing the first time, but that's what practice is for.

These are all great, thanks. :) No love for Tested?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Tamir Lenk posted:

So my kid didn't think I could pull off a Junkrat costume for him for Halloween. Challenge accepted:

These are still WIP, but once I tighten them up, I'll move on with the peg leg and bionic arm.

brings a tear to me eye

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Whitz posted:

A month late to the party but if you need any advice on Junkrat I'm happy to help. Debuted mine last month at Gamescom and was really happy with how it came out.

Holy crap this is amazing. I think I even posted some pictures of you in the OW chill thread.

I still haven't gone after anything because college is still kicking my rear end, so I still don't have any specific questions. I'm more curious to know where did you start from?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I finally got around to buying two 1mX1mX1cm EVA foam floor mats, and hopefully that's way more than I'll ever need. Let's see how that goes. :ohdear:

So I settled on making a Junkrat, and my plan is to keep you guys posted because I'll can certainly use tips and assurance, if that's cool with you.

One question, how long did you first full cosplay took you? There will be a con near me in two months, and while Junkrat doesn't look particularly hard, I'm not sure if I will be able to complete it in time.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Whitz posted:

Hmm like what part I started with? I wanted to learn/practice 3d modelling some more so made a 3d model of the gun first. I use 3d models for almost all my patterns anyway and I know it was going to be the most complicated part.

I'm trying to trace the grenade laucher from Blizzard's reference kit, but the gun isn't exactly orthogonal to the camera they used and it's throwing me off. Can you post an orthogonal side and front view? It would help me a lot.

Edit: Nevermind, found a model!

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

r00tn00b posted:

Went out to two parties., we got 1st place in both costume contests.
here is us with Bro-seidon the judge of one of the contests

my mustache fell off becasue I'm a big sweaty goon

Broseidon is loving awesome.