Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Mobius 1 posted:

Awesome, I've been hoping for a thread like this for a while now. I have a couple of things I'm working on for fanime and SDCC, but right now I'm a bit stumped on how exactly to make part of my costume.

I'm making the red cloaked figure from Journey:

Cloak is pretty much done except the details on the hem, but I'm not quite sure on how to make the mask. I thought about using one of those cheap white masks you see at Michael's and covering it in fabric, but the face on the character is featureless. I also want to make the eyes light up but I need to read up on how to rig LED's.

They're a little expensive (Google says $30-$40) but a fencing mask might work. They're relatively opaque and they have that smooth, uniform shape over the entire face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Is it too big in that it looks like a bobble head, or that it's just too big on the inside? If it's the latter you could probably just pad it like the inside of a bicycle helmet. If it's the former, I got nothin'. Bummer that it's so close. :(

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
You could do a really good Riddler. Green thrift store suit, stencil on an assload of question marks with fabric paint. Don Cherry would be pretty loving hilarious, though.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Can anyone recommend an affordable, quality wig store? I'm in need of a long, dark brown/black wig for NYCC.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Can anyone recommend a good way to make TF2's Heavy Weapons Guy's bandoleer? I thought of using toilet paper tubes as a base and covering them, but I can't seem to get enough to go all the way around.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
I wanted to make them one solid piece, all attached to the belt. I've asked friends to collect tubes, but most live on campus. I think I may just start cutting the empty tubes off the bars in the bathrooms in my building, as they're the right size, but have a lock on the end so you can't steal whole rolls. Having a slit down one side might not be too bad if it's the side I glue to the belt.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

Dang :sigh: It's the perfect skirt, too.

If you're good at sewing or are willing/able to practice you could take the skirt apart and use it to make a pattern. Then you can get it in the perfect color and material!

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
After cosplaying for the first time at NYCC, I'm hooked. I'm already planning for next year. For (one of) my next cosplay(s), I want to go as a set of triplets, with me dressing as one and the other two being mounted on my back like this. What materials should I use to build the flat that the other 'siblings' will be painted on? I'm thinking foam core backed with a whole lot of tape to reinforce it, but if there are other better options I'm very open to suggestions.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

TheAbominableSnow posted:

So I've never cosplayed (properly) before, and I've been wanting to get into it. I have a couple simpler ones planned, but. I kind of also want to do this character:

Which looks absolutely INSANE. I've been teaching myself to sew, and I think I could thrift/ebay/mod most of the outfit, but that round head and ridiculous collar look pretty crazy. Any thoughts on how that might be possible? Or, more accurately, possible for someone with very little experience? Sewing I can manage, but I have no clue how to hack it with prop making.

I did have an idea for the head, though it's not entirely accurate to the character. Kind of a helmet-slash-fencing mask kinda thing.

I'm not even thinking about that collar right now. Cardboard and starched fabric? I realize this is a nutty costume for a beginner to consider, but this design has really caught my fancy.

Try looking for DIY Deadmau5 heads. There are a billion tutorials out there, and you can probably modify one to fit that character.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Warheart525 posted:

I'm looking for a new costume idea for this year, but I have no idea what to do. Like I said, I'm about 6' tall, slim and have short red hair. I can't really think of a lot characters that would fit that description.

Bulk up and go as Sgt. Hatred.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

DetectiveSlowpoke posted:

So, I did a Majora's Mask cosplay and wanted to make another mask. The problem with mine is that the spikes break too easily. I made them out of the stuff you put fake flowers in and strengthened it with a base coat of primer then paint and then put a screw in them to hold it to the mask. This stopped the spikes from breaking off all the way but the tips were too fragile. What i'm getting at is that I am wondering what I should make the spikes out of that isn't so fragile.

Thought it's sort of expensive, Wonderflex is awesome. I made spikes almost exactly like yours for a puppet this past summer, and they were very light while also being sturdy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
You could also get a pair of non-prescription glasses (think dollar store sunglasses or 3D glasses), pop the lenses out, and attach the big floofy eyebrows to the frames. It would give him that bold dark line around the eyes, too.