Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

I *DO* HAVE A BOBA FETT TATTOO, HE JUST DOESN'T PLAY CLARINET
Working on my first full set of Boba Fett armor here in a few weeks. Hopefully sooner. I've been practicing painting helmets for a while now in preparation.

I'm working on a timelapse video at the moment to show the time it goes into painting one.

The first helmets I ever worked on were the rubies two piece Jango helmets, put bondo on the seam and just repainted. I started with RotJ

Then I attempted an ESB version

Second attempt at ESB, can see better detailing

And finally my third attempt at ESB, mastering all the detailing techniques and overall feeling comfortable with where all the weathering goes. I actually got lucky and got my hands on a mold to make my own very accurate helmets instead of using the terrible rubies toy helmets. Making my own visors as well.

Just proof that practice makes perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Hey, can you go into any detail about how you make your own visors? My brother's dream project is Zero from Code Geass, and the visor on his cray-cray helmet is so bizarre that we'll probably have to make it custom

That is pretty crazy. For something like that, first you'd probably have to make or finish the entire helmet to get the circular measurements for a correct fit. I can only really imagine being able to make a circular visor like that with a vacuum former. What you could do is take a block of wood, or multiple stacks glued together and sand them down while you keep checking to see if it fit the helmet.
After that get a flat plastic sheet of some visor material, heat it up, and vacuum form it over the wood block that you made.

Maybe someone else has more ideas but that's about all I can think of.

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

I guess I kinda lied when I said 'about to make my first Fett armor' because I did once already for a football game. It wasn't all that good because I made it in about a week. The vest was just a t-shirt so the armor sagged a bit if I wasn't careful.

Kansas City Chiefs VS Green Bay Packers 12-18-2011
IT WAS BECAUSE OF ME THAT THIS WAS THE PACKERS FIRST LOSS!
Made the armor out of sintra, then formed the pieces to my body and the battle damage with a heat gun.

(I was working on stormtrooper armor simultaneously)

Finally at the game

And I just found this one the other day that someone took!

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

Red Robin Hood posted:

Osmethae: what is that Stormtrooper armor in the background? FX?

Correct! FX. Came in a kit like this.. I bought this in 2006 I believe? Or 2007. Was a while ago.

Took me several weeks to put together, the helmet was the worst part. During that time I was just trying to get it set up on a mannequin properly that I had made. My god that was not an easy feat.. my brothers fiance threw my helmet on the ground (BITCHWHOREASS) and broke the black mouth piece off. I need another but not sure where to go for one.

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

Red Robin Hood posted:

What black piece are you speaking of? This is what my armor looked like when it showed up on my doorstep (as you can tell ours are quite different):

Yours is vacuum formed with it on. In between the aerators, that rigid piece that pokes out. That was a separate piece on mine I had to attach.

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

That Han is absolutely incredible, great job.

Little progress on my jetpack paint job. Slow but steady, it has been one of those 'run into a problem every 3 seconds' type of things and I'm going to have a heart attack.

Primed to find little flaws, filled and sanded. It's a jetpack from Man of War Studios (my god does he do amazing work).

Blue/red/white laid down

Just did the yellow last night but now I'm going out of town so I'll finish everything else up on Monday.

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

Thank you kindly, it's the liquid latex technique. You paint one color all over, like the silver for example, then you apply the liquid latex in the spots where you want the silver to show through. After it dries you apply the second coat of paint over it, the blue, and once the paint cures you strip the latex off and it reveals the silver in just those spots.

Here's the timelapse I'm not quite done with yet, but you can see it in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWmqS66VAI

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

I got my sidewinder blaster kit in on Friday, it was a ton of fun to assemble!

Spent most of Saturday putting it together here and there, always adding a few pieces at a time waiting for the epoxy to dry.

Yesterday on Sunday I started painting.. I wasn't really happy with the first paint job on it because I was being very wary with the weathering. There's a point where you can just do too much and I was afraid so I did too little.

Just finished the new paint on it and the old rusty look is definitely to my liking now.

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

I'm about 14 seconds away from having a heart attack now, next weekend is Denver Comic con and I'm not done yet. WHY MUST WE ALL PROCRASTINATE LIKE THIS it can't be good on our health. Dedicating all time to painting this weekend so I can relax and not fill my diaper constantly.

Attaching thrusters and finishing a few more details up today

My gauntlets took a little longer to assemble than I originally thought

All painted now though, only thing I have left to do to them is paint and add the gauntlet rocket on the left arm.

Got the armor put on the vest which is actually quite a bitch to do.

And the jetpack harness is set up, just needs lowered a little.

Now, let us pray that by Sunday I will have pictures of me wearing it.

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

Everything that was bought was purchased in kit form, and I've still got about $1600 sunk into it including all the supplies I needed.

I can see why it takes most people a few years to put it all together, and then I did it in a month = broke.

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

Worked on it for 10 hours straight today (I'm dead) and got this.

If you have to ask if I stole it from the movie, I DID.

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

Red Robin Hood posted:

Very cool! I understand going broke on a project. I built my Stormtrooper in two weeks and ended up finishing it up for around $1000.

It's most certainly one drat expensive hobby to collect these kinds of things.

I put it all on today like I said I would! Definitely happy about how it came out, I need to adjust a few things here and there

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

I'm a sane person, I swear!

(Collection so far for my Supernatural trunk)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

I'm just starting on female mandalorian armor for my girlfriend to wear alongside me as Boba Fett. So far is an amazing sketch my friend made of my idea for her armor.. it's time to get to work.